Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Schorsch posted:

Cons:

• Does not surpass the R8 in anything

It surpasses it by a wide margin in the most important category: looking rad as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Fellblade posted:

I believe the consensus is that the BMW M4 GT3 - Prototype is the best mix of easy and fast, it's used in VRS sprint (B) and IMSA Sportscar (B). It's the new hotness since it's new this season.

However the Ferrari 488 is easy, reasonably fast and has it's own Ferrari Sprint series (D) and VRS sprint (B). So maybe better, particular if you are low license, though because of that Ferrari sprint is a wreckfest.

I would go with the BMW for a couple reasons: the fixed Ferrari series is Bad and will teach you bad things if you're a newish driver, but more importantly there's guaranteed to be at least one Bearpope team running the BMW in any given special enduro, and that's not the case for the Ferrari.

(If the current BoP holds and no other big changes are made between now and then I could see us having a Ferrari team for the Spa 24, but that's probably it. And we'd almost certainly still have a BMW team for it too)

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 31, 2021

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

bsamu posted:

what are the bad lessons for ferrari fixed? just the required level of aggression because the races are so short?

Pretty much. It's just not a great place to learn racecraft since everyone is hyper aggressive and there's not enough time for a recovery drive if you make a mistake. (And recovery drives are an excellent opportunity to learn how to pass.) My standing advice to people fresh out of rookie MX-5 is to either move to Skips or just stay in rookies until you're D4.0 and can do Advanced MX-5 or GT4 in IMPC.

That said, for someone who did put in their time moving up the ladder through Skips and Advanced MX-5/GT4/F3/IP2000 asking what GT3 to get, then sure grab the 488 and knock yourself out doing the occasional Fixed Ferrari race if you want. You should still probably get the BMW instead if you want to Bearpope it up.

Theris fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 1, 2021

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

carticket posted:

Now you can buy the Lambo and have fun with a car that is not your friend!

The Lambo is real, and strong, and is very much my friend.

Except at Imola. But, I don't think any car would be my friend there.

vvv: The SRF hates you more than the BMW GT3 hates front tires.

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 1, 2021

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

edit: make future Bear Pope races BMWstreet stock-Skippy Multiclass.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

M4 GT3 Question - I've realised there's ABS, TC and Fuel maps that can be changed. However the dash also shows 'ALS 1' but I can't figure out that that's meant to be. What is it?

Wild guess, but anti lag system? A lot of cars in iracing have settings that appear on the dash that can't be changed in sim. The lambo has three: EPS (presumably the amount of assist from the electric power steering), APS (no idea, maybe another power steering setting?) and S12 (don't even have a guess for that).

The IR18 is another example. In real life all four rotaries on the face of the wheel are some kind of engine setting, but in iracing you just get fuel and throttle maps. I don't think what the other two do is public info, and might vary by engine manufacturer or even team.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

There's no one right setting for them, you'll need to adjust them based on the setup, track conditions, and how the handling is changing over the course of a fuel stint or tire stint. (which can be multiple fuel stints during an enduro) You'll just have to play around with them to get a feel for the effect they have on the car.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Douchebag posted:

I got the stock V3’s. No brake mods or anything else. Love them. Love the throttle vibration when I’m pushing a car too hard and the brake response when ABS kicks in.

The brake vibration on mine is too weak to feel if you're not really looking for it. Gas is great though, really came in handy in the P217 at Daytona.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vando posted:

Aliens are people like Max Benecke, Josh Rogers, Greger Huttu, the guys who are SO fast you don't know how it even makes sense, so obviously they must be aliens. I think Huttu was the original alien when the term first caught on about 20 years ago :aaa:.

Yeah, IIRC alien was coined to describe Huttu back when he ruled GPL with an iron fist.

To me, an alien isn't just someone who's super fast, they're someone who's super fast via a very different driving style than a non-alien would (or, importantly, ever could) have. Josh Rogers and Max Benecke are aliens. Jaime Fluke isn't, despite being almost as quick in the same kinds of cars. Fluke's driving style is basically the same as a non-alien, just much more precise than most people can replicate. A normie can look at Fluke's telemetry and say "ok, I need to brake 5 meters earlier and turn in a little later" or whatever and never have the "haha wtf how is that even possible" reaction you might have to something in Rogers or Benecke's telemetry.

The alien driving style also usually maximally exploits the quirks of sim physics in ways that don't necessarily apply to the real world. Huttu is a great example of this: he once got a test in a real Pro Mazda and was slow as poo poo. Sure, that's probably mostly because he has the ideal goon body (something something peak performance) and lacks the fitness needed to hustle a fast downforce car around Road Atlanta, but I'm willing to bet at least a bit is because the poo poo he does just doesn't work outside the papyrus/iracing physics model.

VelociBacon posted:

"anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac" - George Carlin

I thought of this quote a lot driving to work in the snow all last week.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Skim Milk posted:

It shouldn't be a problem but I think the second you worry about SR and iRating is the minute you start making dumb mistakes because you're trying too hard to maximize each session and not playing the long game.

Aren't you trying to get from rookies to B in like a quarter season?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Douchebag posted:

Trying to get out of Rookie Dirt Oval is proving to be a slog. 5 races, SR is just 2.69. I've done 5 races (100 laps total) at Limaland and I have just 6 total incidents. Hoping to push that to 3.0 by weeks end so I can run the UMPs and whatever other D class dirt cars that are not Streets soon. Time trials give something like a .02 so I could just run that over and over but that's boring.

I just dug up my results from dirt rookies and it looks like it took me 6 races with 8 total inc to get to 3. Considering how quick the races are it didn't feel very sloggy to me.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

KillHour posted:

Are you guys using anti stall or just feathering the clutch off?

There's literally no reason to turn off anti-stall unless you're a masochist.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Part of me is disappointed that the huge bump of new posts isn't celebrating Bearpope's good Sebring results, (p2, p3, 2 p6es, p7) but another part is ecstatic to find out it was people experiencing Long, Long Man :sax: for the first time.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Second overall in our split (no P1s in our split), led 85 laps in the night and then the second place car put their best driver in and took us to Gapplebees, was a great race and my team's best endurance result yet.

I'm gonna go nap now.

Our split was P1 infested, including one that managed 363 incident points. Only had, oh, 9 or 10 close calls with just that team during my stints, once as they tried to pass me and a P2 on the straight and nearly took us both out.

Anyway, congrats. Putting in your best race feels great even if you lose on pace.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

No matter what the potentiometer was doing, calibrating the pedals in iracing is going to give you a range of 0-100%. It might be a shorter range (fewer "steps" between 0% and 100%), but it would still be the full range. It might be harder to brake precisely, but the brakes wouldn't be weak the way you described.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It's Daytona. Last race of the season for the VRS Global Endurance series that exists only for this season just to sneak LeMans past the ACO. Perfect for a "practice" 24 hour since Daytona is the easiest endurance track, both to learn and for dealing with traffic.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Also a fantastic dedication to the bit with regards to Rovals which I love but is making the eurotrash circuit nerds Extremely Mad.

I totally get being mad about Homestead because it means road-only people have to buy an oval that they'll likely never use again, but euros raging about American series going to American tracks has been A Thing for a long time. If you really enjoy it, the IP2K forum is a goldmine.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

Hey how did that AI hosted session work out last night?

My power went out around lap 5 but I was having a lot of fun before then. Seemed to be smooth and bug free and racing around that many cars was a blast.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

IME if a game has its own store/launcher, getting it on steam is going to cause you problems. Maybe something minor like missing out on sales on the game's store, or something major like it occasionally just doesn't work, but there's always something.

Also yes come do bonus Sebring with us. We already have enough for three teams and this is a series that doesn't split much, so we have a shot at having multiple teams in the same split which is extra fun.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Let us all not forget that iracing is also Nascar 2003 so its kind of tough for it to run VR

It has the best VR support and performance of any racing sim by a large margin.

I guess you could say that's a pretty low bar, but still.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

MrYenko posted:

*Cars - high detail
*Pit Objects - high detail
*Event - high detail
*Grandstands - high detail
*Crowds - high detail
*Objects - High detail

Uh...what? Did you get your hands on an Alder Lake early or were the draw call optimizations in today's patch way better than anyone could have hoped for?

Edit: vvvv Yeah, that. Have you tried Daytona, Barcelona, or Nurburgring GP/Combined? With other cars on track? (Maybe set up an AI race, preferably with multiple car models like all the GT3s or the IMSA mix)

Theris fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 14, 2021

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

former glory posted:

The button to grid said there was 1:30 left, but I guess if everyone grids it just starts.

You can go a long time without knowing this because almost every race will have one person who will wait until the last second to grid no matter what, but on the rare occasions they aren't around that's how it works, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

giogadi posted:

Which is considered “harder”: F3 or GT3? I’m finally starting to feel more comfortable in the f3 but the gt3 cars just look like fun.

GT3s are made for dentists and lawyers to be able to drive as fast as possible on weekends without killing themselves or each other; pretty much every other car on iracing is harder to drive in one way or another. They are a lot of fun, though, in no small part because they're so easy to drive.

F3 is fun but it has a reputation for the worst driving standards of all the popular series because half the people in it think they're Senna.

quote:

Also: would it be a bad idea to go for the porsche gt3 car, or is it specifically the Cup car that is such a challenge to drive?

The Porsche GT3 has some unique handling characteristics because it is a Porsche, but it's hardly super challenging. The Porsche Cup car is just as fast as a GT3 but with way less downforce and no driver aids. (ABS/TC) It's intended to be a training series and is pretty challenging.