Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

njsykora posted:

Welcome to iRacing, please deposit your wallet in the burning pile of other wallets by the door. Also yeah, Just Race is the advice, especially in the MX-5. You can't get demoted from rookies, if your race does end on the first corner you only need to wait another 15-20 minutes for the next race and the sooner you get comfortable being around other cars the better you'll be in the long run.

To add to this: Ignore anyone who tells you to start from the back of the grid or the pitlane to get out of rookies. Qualify your best and then race. You can still be sensible and keep your distance from erratic looking drivers or situations that look like they might turn into a big wreck. But if you do the often suggested "start from pits" strategy you won't learn what it's like to actually be racing against people and you'll just have an even harder time once you start in the D class races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

V for Vegans posted:

Yeah, all those videos about “how to get out of rookies fast” seem like they miss the point of sim racing. You do it to get better, not to just have the highest number next to your name. I mostly just wanted to get a feel for the car and learn the track so that I wouldn’t be the one responsible for the lap one pile up so I don’t get yelled at online.

Yeah you're doing it right. Practice solo or in open practice sessions until you can do a full race length without crashing and you'll do fine. Just wait for that nervous feeling when you're waiting on the grid though! No other game makes me feel like that and it's part of why iRacing is so great.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

waffle enthusiast posted:

Rookies is about slowing things down in your head by developing consistency, pattern recognition, and the ability to stay calm under pressure. As the cars get faster, all three speed up and so take more mental energy.

Random things to focus on in rookies:

- Race pace. A 1:40’ that wrecks out on lap 3 is slower than a 1:42’ that finishes. Hot laps in practice are cool and good, but also spend time doing laps at a pace you know you can run for the duration.

- Staying calm. A common cause of screw ups in lower tiers is trying to go faster when someone’s right on your rear bumper. Then you miss your brake point, or turn in, next thing you know you’re in the wall, or collecting dandelions. Just drive your race.

- Pattern recognition. Developing a sense of when to attack, when to defend, and how hard to do each. You only get this through experience, so get to it!

Great tips. Especially staying calm. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've passed people by just driving behind them for a lap until they crack from the pressure. We've all screwed up while driving in the mirror at some point as well, especially when starting out.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As someone who was vehemently against oval courses and was hugely pro-road, please try ovals. It’s great fun and that bumper to bumper tight racing that you only get once in a while on road courses can be stretched over an entire oval race

Please race ovals

Oval racing in iRacing made me watch and appreciate some irl NASCAR. Don't get much exposure to it in Scotland so was always kind of on the "sounds boring it's just turning left" school of thought, but there's a lot more to it than that when you get into it.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Lower the FOV of the virtual mirror some.

Before I did this I used to feel like I was about to get turned on every oval corner.