Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

maybe its just the picture, but you might want to heatshrink over that LM7805. The mounting tab is electrically connected to the output pin, and it looks like it's dangerously close to being able to tap all sorts of stuff on the board if there's a bit of vibration or whatever

i assume the power draw is small enough that you wont have to worry about the diminished cooling from adding a layer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mobby_6kl posted:

poo poo you just made me go check if the car was on fire :)

Thankfully it wasn't, and I wasn't completely crazy because I remembered that the tab was supposed to be ground. You're probably right about the LM, but it's thankfully ground on this ST L78. It's not just the picture though, it is hanging just above a micro USB connector on the board.

It draws like 20 mA while playing so temperature isn't going to be an issue even with some extra insulation.

There's also this reassuring line in the datasheet: "Each type embeds internal current limiting, thermal shut-down and safe area protection, making it essentially indestructible"

you're right, my bad, i was thinking of the LM317

sounds like you're good!