Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No idea why these things seem to do gearbox bearings, I'm not aware of other Honda manuals being particularly delicate.

It's not the worst job getting gearbox in and out, but it's not like there's a huge amount of space under there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

God drat, are those things that cheap now (Edit: Not anywhere around me. 180k w/ salvage title for $3.5k lol) ? I've always liked them straight up.
That's not even a really cheap one here, my mate's wife's one was £300 in a similar state.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mobby_6kl posted:

The procedure in the service manual (BTW please share it if you have one, I only found a Russian version) looks reasonably straightforward, but there are definitely going to be issues with rusty or otherwise stuck bolts and limited access requiring all sorts of extensions and weird tools. There are some videos on youtube of people doing this, looks like a day or two job, especially since I never pulled a gearbox before.
Been a while since I was doing it, but if you pull the driveshafts, support the engine from above, and drop the front subframe, you can get the gearbox out from underneath.

I seem to remember one of the starter motor fasteners being a royal pain to get at, I think we removed the intake manifold to get more access from above.

But it's fundamentally a fairly standard fwd transverse box job.

Actually, I double checked, my mate filmed pretty much everything:
https://youtu.be/PcGiGw63hvo

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks again for this, very helpful. Any idea what these set rings are that are supposed to go on the driveshaft? There's no PN anywhere.

They're a circlip/snap ring that retains the driveshaft in the gearbox, in theory they should be reusable, but if it seems like there's not much resistance to pullout when you put the shaft in, it's worth replacing them - if the driveshaft comes out too easily, it can do it just enough at full steering lock that you lose drive.

As to buying them, you can get a big old selection box of various sizes, or measure the existing one and buy another that size, though your original may just need a little persuading back into shape.