Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

BexGu posted:

I love how everyone on TV has to jump around DeepFuckingValue name

The consciences of the subreddit seems to be "If he's Holding, I'm Holding".

Didn't DeepFuckingValue start with 100 thousand dollars or something as an initial investment?

Like, it's ridiculous and insane that such a sum could be grown to 47+ million using a single stock (not realized into cash yet AFAIK), but if they had that amount of seed money ready to gamble with, they weren't exactly what I'd call poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I didn't know Musk had any stake in this - he tweeted about it like once - maybe he bought a little as a joke. Hardly matters, he became the world's "richest man" (when going by net worth) back in early January, and since then TSLA has gone up by $100. It's gonna continue ballooning before the bubble bursts and he'll get bailouts when it does.

multijoe posted:

So were these guys not in it to be the Joker burning the money to prove a point? I thought the whole affair was meant to be an economic suicide bombing

The point was to drive the price up because it was known that hedge funds had shorted enormous amounts of GME stock. Some people that got in early enough (the ones that bought in at $4 or $16) rode it to the top and made big bucks, but anyone buying this last week or so was either doing it to make a point or didn't understand the price was quickly going to crater.

Melvin Capital got a bailout anyway. Not enough to cover the losses I guess, but it don't matter, they have megarich clients and can only fail upwards.

Zaphod42 posted:

The people who drove /r/WSB were intentionally engineering this event by manipulating people who didn't know as much about what was going on. They're the real supervillains here.

For examples of people that lost actual money in this: https://www.reddit.com/r/gme_meltdown/