Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

So a cool thing showed up on the door step this morning. Possibly one of the more stupid things to buy for my birthday, an Indian made reproduction of a 1777 French Dragoon musket.

Ordered from http://www.militaryheritage.com/. I can say they did a good job packing it. Took a week and and half to get here, from Ottawa to Southern California.

If I'm getting a musket, I'm getting the bayonet too. Was quite greasy out of the box, a good thing considering these are supposed to rust relatively easy. The ramrod is in there very tight, and hard to get a grip on it with all the grease. Certainly looks cool and shiny.

Will surely be a project. I was inspired by the videos on InRange, and while I know these aren't known for the quality, I wanted something I could ding and get dirty without ruining a nice one. Once I've fully inspected it for any defects and drilled the touch hole, the plan is to take it out to the desert, tie a string to the trigger and stand far back. The lock seems to operate ok, though need to get the proper flints and round ball, as well as drill the touch hole. Next steps will be to take it apart to see how it all fits together, as well as marking the right spot for the touch hole drilling. Then to proof it. The bore measures .7 according to my cheap calipers, so I'm thinking .68-.69 round ball will fit snugly. Got some flints and and balls from dixie gun works on the way, so I can test the frizzen and see if it sparks. What am I getting myself into. Looking forward to barely hitting targets at 50 yards or less. Also excited to try shooting shot and buck and ball loads out of it. Just need a cool hat to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Always love to see people getting into black powder. You'll probably be surprised at the accuracy; my smoothbore matchlock with no sights other than a rear post has no problem hitting at 50 yards.

Does the ramrod that comes with the gun have a removable jag? Often they are threaded and can be unscrewed and other tools put on (ball/patch puller is the big one). If not, I'd highly recommend a separate wood or synthetic rod with removable jags to use for loading/cleaning, and pulling a ball if it comes to it.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Oh, that's really cool. Do be careful with the Indian made repros, though. The quality can be all over the map. I know Military Heritage is supposed to have a pretty good reputation, but sometimes things slip through. Good on you for deciding to proof it but, again, be careful.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Testing A Thingtm for HGB

Oooh neat. Keep us updated on how the touch hole drilling goes.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

Karl Rove posted:

Does the ramrod that comes with the gun have a removable jag? Often they are threaded and can be unscrewed and other tools put on (ball/patch puller is the big one). If not, I'd highly recommend a separate wood or synthetic rod with removable jags to use for loading/cleaning, and pulling a ball if it comes to it.

It has some kind of threading at the end, but not a typical one. I'll likely have to get a different one with the 10/32 threads to fit with the kit I already have.

Also, the barrel appears to have a dimpled spot for the touch hole already, though it looks like it's really close to the breech plug if the ramrod is any indication. Lock and tang screws came out easy enough, but the barrel bands are on there really stiff. Even with the springs depressed they won't budge with a little bit of hammering. If anyone's got advice for getting the bands off, I'm all ears.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

Also, the barrel appears to have a dimpled spot for the touch hole already, though it looks like it's really close to the breech plug if the ramrod is any indication.

IIRC Karl in his video on these Indian repros specifically said to measure the flash hole placement yourself and not trust the factory dimple.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Never done a musket but taken down plenty of modern rifles with sticky bands.

Get a hammer and a non-marring punch. If you can get a hard plastic rod of some kind thatís ideal. Make 110% sure the retaining bits are fully depressed and tap the edges of the band.

If it was really pressed on there you might ding the wood a bit but it should be the kind of scrapes that either end up under the wood or buff out.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007

Somebody Awful posted:

IIRC Karl in his video on these Indian repros specifically said to measure the flash hole placement yourself and not trust the factory dimple.

Roger that, figured I'd remove the breech plug first as this guide says to be safe as well https://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgHowTo/DrillTouchHole/touchholedrill.pdf

The threading at the end of the supplied ramrod, if anyone's curious

And thanks Cyrano, I'll give that a shot.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007

So with some convincing via hammer and clamping down the springs, the bands came off.

Apologies on the lighting, its rather dark near my work bench

Definitely an Indian musket

Interestingly it seems there's no plug, it's one solid piece. So much for removing a plug. edit: upon closer inspection, there is a barely visible seam, but I don't think I'm getting the plug out.

Balloon Time Hooray! fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 28, 2021

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007

Right so due to where the flash pan is located, I marked a spot and drilled a 1/16" hole in the barrel. Just with a hand drill. Probably not ideal, but hopefully it'll work consistently. May have to widen it later like Karl did for his blunderbuss, also because it's not right at the bottom of the pan.

Next steps, fitting a flint and making sure I get sparks, and then going to have to get to get my hands on real black powder (only have Triple 7 FFF substitute, but looks like there's a store that sells Goex on the way to my desert BLM spot) and do some proofing, and maybe some actual shooting.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ooh, black powder

You should absolutely get a blunderbuss like Karl's, go full pirate.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

Get a hammer and a non-marring punch. If you can get a hard plastic rod of some kind thatís ideal. Make 110% sure the retaining bits are fully depressed and tap the edges of the band.

I've mentioned it before in another thread, but those nylon bolts that hold on your toilet seat are perfect for moving things you don't want to mar, drifting sights, etc.

You'll end up with a toilet seat that's hosed up to sit on, but how much time are you really spending on the toilet?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

You'll end up with a toilet seat that's hosed up to sit on, but how much time are you really spending on the toilet?

You've met goons, right?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

You've met goons, right?

Reloading station on the john. Or: how madetaipei dies on the toilet, but not how you'd think.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime. That's why I roll paper cartridges on company time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007

The only real tool a gunsmith needs is a toilet.

I just used my regular steel punches to get those bands off, didn't seem to mar it beyond the already relatively crudely crafted parts (part the of the charm, I don't mind scratching and beating this thing up a bit).

Probably should've gone with a blunderbuss, looks like it would've been simpler to disassemble and line up with the flash pan. Oh well. I want to get a double barrel flintlock at some point, maybe this thing:

Maybe next birthday, after i get my current stupid thing working reliably!