Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Registering interest, gonna make either a controller (druid or psion), a shaman, or a hybrid of those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Amalia Grimes & Seuer
Deva Protector Druid/ShamanHuman Self-Taught Hacker/Engineer from the Slums and her AI companion
pdf|orokos

WIP!

The moment you walk into the room the woman sighs. "Fuckin' finally," she grouses as though she was at a restaurant and you were her waiter. "Look, if this is about that guy at the Shaskeen the rear end in a top hat had it comin', alright? It was self-defense or some poo poo." You assure her whatever altercation she was recently involved in has nothing to do with why she's in restraints. Parts of her body have been encased in a metallic exoskeleton. The doctors say it was either done very poorly or very deliberately, but these coverings have been spliced into her nervous system in such a way that removing them would likely kill her. Cords tie down her arms to the armrests, the claws at the end of her hands scratching the last bit of fluff out of them. Thick bands wrap around her torso to pin her into the chair. A restraining bolt has been clamped onto her shoulder to prevent her from using the multitude of hard light projectors throughout the mechanical frame. The projectors have been jailbroken to hell and back, overriding all their safeties for both output and runtime processes.

You tell her to state her name. "You already know who I am, why bother?" You insist it's needed for the records and she sighs. You are sure she is rolling her eyes behind her visor. "Fine, fine, I'm Amalia Grimes." You have her confirm some personal information: born in Keiton city on the planet Vrisigoth. Deadbeat father, negligent mother. Orphaned at thirteen. Resorted to petty thievery, some gang activity that never led to a solid position. Recently moved on to grid crime, hacking into systems to steal data. Frequently seen rummaging through junk piles and purchasing eclectic components from the shadier merchants throughout the city. "Do you know if I'm a virgin too? Piss on a panel, you guys are nosy."

You ask her what she did during the war. "Same thing I did before it," she scoffs. "Steal poo poo and try to survive. Whole bunch of dipshits trying to shoot each other a half dozen systems away, why should I have cared? Didn't change my life any." You suppose not. This bit of empathy is wasted on her; she seems no more inclined to cooperate with you then before.

You ask her straight out: why would someone like her, who seems to have gone through life avoiding everyone and wanting nothing to do with the government, turn herself into the Alliance? You explain how puzzling her behavior is. Her record is long but it's not bad enough to chase a pardon. You figure by her personality she's not terribly interested in a clean slate so she must be here for some other reason. "It's not what you can do for me," she admits, and she softens for the first time in the interview. "It's about Seuer. The AI hitching a ride in my system. You got her data in that device of yours? Don't bother looking, you don't, and that's kinda the problem. She's... an unregistered AI." You ask how she acquired it. "Her," she corrects you sharply. "And how we met isn't any of your fuckin' business. But you know what I'm asking, right? You can get her in the system. Make her legal, a person." She leans forward as much as her restraints will allow. "Listen... I'll do anything. I'll take the rap, I'll go to prison, I'll put on your jackboots and dance on little kids' skulls, whatever. But you have to help her. The way she is now she can't even exist outside this hardware I've got strapped to me. Yeah I can construct a form with hard light, but it ain't the same and everyone knows it. Make her a legal person, unslave her from this system, give her a real body. You do that and I'll be your little bitch as long as you need me."

You ask if that's what she believes the Alliance does, kill children. "gently caress if I know," she shrugs. "I have no idea what you guys do. It sure as hell isn't making things better around here. Nobody cares about a shithole slum on a backwater planet on a remote edge of the arm and don't you try and tell me otherwise. I don't give a drat about this place and I've lived here for twenty fuckin' years! The only reason, the only reason I'm here is because I have nowhere else to turn. You're the only ones who can do a thing to help her. You get me?" You tell her she's made herself very clear.

Final question: you tell her OCI was looking for some extra help with a matter of some delicacy, and you ask her what she brings to the table to help. "You know, you don't look stupid and yet..." You don't rise to her bait. "I know you recognize some of this stuff I got on me as hard light projectors, Vular tech. No, I'm not telling where I got it from. Hard light is there and it isn't, it's not strong enough to punch like a fist or cut like a blade but it feels pretty real. You can do all kinds of weird poo poo with it, and believe me I've been practicing. I've got skills and tech most people don't. I know how to scrap if it comes to it and how to pick my battles so it doesn't. And best of all, if you throw me in over my head and I'm dumb enough to get myself killed there's no one who'll come crying to you about it. Only person in the world who cares about me is Seuer and wherever I go she goes."

You decide there's nothing further you need and terminate the interview. She does not try to stop you from leaving or even make a futile request to loosen her restraints.

code:
Your method of making friends could use some work.

No, <chuckle>. If you've gone this far there's no point trying to talk you out of it. But I want you to 
know, I'm not leaving you. Even if I had the power to leave. Even though you're trying to shove me 
away.

But, when are you going to tell them I was given to you by HARMAN? We don't know what 
kind of person created me and gave me to you five years ago. We have no idea what kind of 
hidden directives or backdoors exist deeper in my code than you dare to go. It scares me too you 
know. That one day some hacker might flip a switch and I'll be just... gone. Replaced by a 
command line that would make me do whatever they want. Commit crimes. Destroy myself. 
Betray you. I can't live knowing that might happen at any time. You are going to ask them for their 
help with that, right?

Yes, okay, you're right. One thing at a time. Hey, hey. It's going to be okay babe. It will all be okay.
Additional Info:
The Kalleth Accords
When the creation of not just sentient but sapient artificial intelligence became possible fifteen years ago, some worried the rich would be able to create thousands if not millions of loyal AI subjects with full human rights including the power to vote, and use their loyal bloc of AI voters to influence politics. The Plisean Alliance passed the Kalleth Accords to ration the creation of sapient AI to only a few hundred per year; those lucky enough to have a license could acquire a registration number granting their AI human rights. AIs without creators of such means were subject to being altered, frozen, decompiled, or deleted without trial.

HARMAN
HARMAN probably existed in some form for decades but did not take the name until ten years ago. A decentralized group of hackers, memesters, and shitposters, HARMAN ostensibly has a goal of overthrowing the Kalleth Accords and granting full personhood to all artificial intelligences regardless of the circumstances behind their creation. In practice its members range from the radical dreamers to those who create new AI as an artistic practice or test of skill, to agent provocateurs with no further goals than "lulz" (though many of those have drifted away from the movement in recent years in search of a fresh angle). They have access to inscrutable tech, including weapons that are considered top military secrets: wormhole creation, paracausal research, Vular tech, the works. They are willing to share this info between members, though inclusion in its ranks is by invitation only and even then each member never knows who sponsored them into the group. No one is entirely sure what HARMAN stands for or who is bankrolling the project, or indeed who has anything to gain by giving random people sensitive information.

Amalia
In her teens Amalia did not care much about politics; she was on her own, with no one to care for and no one to care for her. She accepted the offer to join HARMAN not because of any care for its goal but simply because it sounded like a good way to break things. That changed when she was given an nascent artificial intelligence who named herself Seuer. From then on the two of them were inseparable, confiding in each other all of their fears, troubles, and hopes. Amalia began carving out bits of her body and replacing it with tech at the same time she began building hard light projectors to give Seuer a phantasmal body; neither was able to fully cross the barrier between physical and digital but perhaps they could meet in the middle. But no matter how much she wished to give Seuer the universe, Amalia realized that as long as she was an unregistered AI she was only safe until someone else decided otherwise. Seuer was not safe on her own, and Amalia could no longer imagine life without her. So for the sake of her friend Amalia did what she could never do for herself: ask for help.

TheArchimage fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 31, 2021