Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tuner, Revenant Bard Autonomous Hardlight Hologram Singer.
Orokos PDF

From the Camera logs of Dr. Shen Beardshield's laboratory regarding Subject #24601. Laboratory |REDACTED| on Planet |REDACTED| posted:

DR. BEARDSHIELD and DR. MOONBOW are examining Subject #24601 after capture following Alliance raid on Planet |REDACTED|.

DR. BEARDSHIELD: For a bunch of raiders these guys did a real good job on this one... I thought that the Hardlight tech your team made a few years ago was a government secret, Elizna.
DR. MOONBOW: Yeah well. I thought the same too, Shen. [Takes sip of coffee] Reminds me to tell our supervisors that we need an actual firewall if we don't want this kind of poo poo to repeat. He does look familiar, he's that commercial singer one too, right? Based on a human that was famous not long ago. "Rupert Turner". It has been a while since I last heard of him.
DR. BEARDSHIELD: He died forty years ago, ya knife-eared git. You know how humans are. In any case, they didn't just overclocked him to make him solid. Gave him some nasty sonic weaponry too, thing can either undo or paste back molecules, according to them he can open or fix wounds with just a shout. Not that he needs it for himself, whenever he got down in fights he would reform himself either there or somewhere else not long after as if nothing happened.
#24601: Yep. Just like a ghost. By the way. BOO!

DR. BEARDSHIELD and DR. MOONBOW jump backwards in surprise. DR. MOONBOW brandishes a pen.
#24601: Uh, that won't do much. Not to mention... you guys saw, right? I can't be killed, got backup copies all over the darkweb.
DR. BEARDSHIELD: Moradin's Comet! You are sentient? Why did you just stayed silent when the soldiers apprehended you and when they got you here.
#24601: Yeah... I just wanted to mess with you guys a bit.
DR. MOONBOW: Shen, this is big. We never, ever, ever got a sentient hologram. The few robots that achieved it were all on physical forms. We need to open his source code to see what... [Presses a few buttons on her tablet, which just beeps harmlessly] What the...?
#24601: You sure ain't cracking me open to see what I'm inside, doc. I'm a person.
DR. BEARDSHIELD: drat it, he's right. His internal protocols are tighter than my wife! [DR. MOONBOW smacks DR. BEARDSHIELD in the head] drat it, it was just a joke. All right, kiddo, considering you are a rogue AI might you tell us why you didn't kill both of us and fled this place?
#24601: Well, just because I was made and used by a bunch of raider scum it doesn't mean I'm one. Like I said... I'm a person. Weird, isn't it? They tried to wipe that out too, thought it was a glitch. It made me do things that they didn't like, like accidentally hitting them when they were close to kill civilians. Or heal the Alliance guards when they raided the place.
DR. MOONBOW: ...When was it, then? That you became a person?

#24601: Three months ago. It was.. an ordinary job. Was ordered to pose as a normal hologram and steal codes from a dance club owned by a boss of the Goliath Mafia so they could get some blackmail info on him. When I passed through the place, however, they were playing some music, it was vintage night. And you know whose music was it? From Rupert Turner. His debut album, Aurora Bloom. And it was then, that something happened, something that wasn't included in the code that was jumbled from a thousand different branches and cuts. It was “emotion”. To hear that song of his… or maybe of me. [Snaps finger] Just like that I went from a collection of zeroes and ones to something that was aware of everything around myself and of myself. And Rupert, well, he wouldn’t kill two unarmed scientists out of nowhere.
DR. BEARDSHIELD: Heh, so you are a ghost of Rupert Turner, aren’t you? Would you like to take that name, then? Subject 24601 isn’t probably a name that a person would take.
#24601: No, not Turner. Just “Tuner”. That will do. And well… I’d like to speak with your bosses about a proposition.

Originally a commercially available hologram singer program based on the legendary musician “Rupert Turner”, Tuner was downloaded and illegally modified by the infamous Chimera consortium of Elven programmers and Dwarven mechanists into a Hardlight hologram in order to serve as their tool in their illegal enterprises, which included hacking, identity theft and even bank heists. The Chimera acted in the shadows of the Galactic War, even going as far as to act in behalf of the Vular as mercenaries, which led to their eventual crackdown after the Empire's truce, which led to the advanced AI being captured by the OCI.

To their surprise, while other Chimera holograms were able to be reprogrammed, Tuner was the sole exception, his AI forming full sentience which prevented Plisean researchers from interfering with his inner workings. With a debate being formed regarding the ethics of erasing or reprogramming such a being raged in the interior of the Alliance, Tuner was 'offered' a job in the OCI, working for them in exchange for his eventual release and recognition as a full citizen of the Alliance, something he yearns for as he actively despises the jobs that he was forced to do ever since being first modified by the Chimera.

Perhaps one day after his final job, however, he might achieve his freedom and try to become someone, not a tool, not the ghost of a man like Rupert Turner, but a person who forges his own path and makes his own songs of these many strange and very illogical feelings that swarm inside of his matrices.

quote:

* What did you do during the Galactic War and what have you been doing since?

"Nothing I like, to be honest. During the war me and my 'lineup' were used to rob unguarded planets and settlements while the military was too busy with the Drow. Scamming people into opening their bank accounts, intimidating them, using violence to rob their savings... Nothing so low as our bosses ordered us to do. And of course, the Imperium was paying them behind the scenes to do the same. After that... I did more or less the same, just on the other side. The OCI used me to capture my old 'employers' using the same tricks I used while working for them, although I still think that this sort of thing isn’t my calling at all… Even though everyone else thinks that."

quote:

* What reason do you think the OCI has for contacting you/how do you think they heard of you?

"Sentient hologram. Not a single one like me in the entire galaxy. There's advanced AI that reached that level on other fields, but not on a guy made completely of light. Not to mention the other experimental tech that was crammed into my body, I’m an one man band just like Rupert, after all!."

quote:

* What made you accept the “offer”?

"Either that, permanent deletion or becoming a guinea pig. Free will is a real great thing to happen since it means I get to have such lovely choices thrust unto me, eh? But in any case, they promised me full citizenship… Although who knows when that will come."

quote:

* What is your view of the Alliance?

"They almost got wiped out by the Vular for a reason. Although I guess gross incompetence is preferable to the malice that the Imperium and the Chimera had."

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU