Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I like D&D 4e, so I might try to put something together for this. Does anybody have a link to a character creator? I don't have all the books... :( Nevermind! I had a copy of it, somewhere, somehow!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

As a Vular unit
"Tauno Teikalainen" the Vular RangerSniper

"Whoever said sniping requires being detached and distant was only half right. The act of pulling a trigger might require that, but to stalk your target you need to watch them closely, become...intimate with them. Sometimes a little too intimate."

• What did you do during the Galactic War and what have you been doing since?

I mean...during the war I fought. Same as any other man my age.

...Okay, so maybe I started out working for "the other guys". Dedicated unit of marksmen, hit priority targets, pave the way for the Vular regulars, you get the idea. Of course the thing about a unit like that is that you have to let them out on a longer leash, and...well, let's just say on more than a few of the operations we had delays eating the leftover rations from depots and outposts we hit, or picking through letters from home from the people we just killed...sorry. One op a bunch of us decided we wanted those hot meals and caring letters on a more regular basis, so we overwhelmed the transport pilot, sent ourselves deep behind your lines and turned ourselves in.

Your authorities arrested us, interrogated us...a couple of us were starting to regret it when they made us an offer. They'd let us stay in the Alliance--heck, they'd even give us pensions after the fighting was over, just like regular citizens!--but we had to help out their war effort. Most of us...weren't exactly keen on shooting at Vular conscripts, any of whom could have been us but for one lucky day, but we came to a compromise: we used our training and played the "bad guys" for Alliance soldiers in their training scenarios, helped them go back over events to tell them what they did wrong and how to fight Vular tactics. Better for them that their first taste of combat was getting shot at by us with weapons that don't leave marks, and better for us that we wouldn't be asked to turn our guns against people who could have been our brothers in arms not so long ago.

Afterwards we...went our separate ways and tried to integrate as best we could. It's hard when you don't even have a last name, so we all just took variations of the unit name we got as a training OPFOR--but when that basically means "The Other Guys", well. Every so often I have to bail out one of my brothers from the drunk tank. And trying to hold down a job has been a bitch; people see the dark skin and panic. At least dogs don't give a drat if you're Vular. Isn't that right, Inky? *blink, woof!*

• What reason do you think the OCI has for contacting you/how do you think they heard of you?

One of the conditions of my amnesty was giving regular reports to Alliance officials. What I'd been doing, who employed me...kinda like being on parole, I guess. My name was already in your system. Must have just crossed the right desk.

• What made you accept the “offer”?

You see anybody looking to employ Vular long term around here?

Oh, less flippantly. Alright...well, during the war, I was part of a unit. We did...things. And we were good at doing...things. And we stuck together. Even when we were still fighting for the Imperium, even when everything's crashing down around you, being part of a team that knows what to do and that you can trust unto death...it feels good. There's a...a structure to it, a familial structure, an order in chaos. And I guess it's kinda greedy of me, but...it'll be nice to feel something like that again.

• What is your view of the Alliance?

I mean...they accepted our defection. They didn't have to do that. They meet that baseline, as an institution. Low as hell compared to the Imperium, but they do meet it. At a more individual level...well, mostly we just stay among ourselves for a reason.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 5, 2021

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

As an alternative to Tauno...

Alph the Changeling Fleshcrafted Swordmage

"Holy poo poo, I thought we were field testing combat drones!...does this look like a loving drone to you?!...You made him to do WHAT?!...Ugh...hey, buddy...you got a name?...that's a letter, not a name...hmm...how about..."

• What did you do during the Galactic War and what have you been doing since?

I was being made!

No, seriously. The Alliance was doing studies on infantry survival and they found that lots and lots of times the ones who ended up as casualties were the ones at the point of contact, actively engaging the enemy while the rest of the section tried to maneuver. Turns out the Vular were really good at picking those guys off. So they wanted something to increase survivability in that role. Bring less people home in coffins, you know? Well, they did the studies and crunched the numbers, and...the only way they could figure out to bring those casualties down was to make those jobs be handled by something not an Alliance soldier. Couldn't get their survivability high enough otherwise.

So something like me is made to harry and suppress the Vular at the point of contact, get them so busy shooting at me that the rest of the team can safely do their thing! Why not use something bigger with big plates and a cannon on top? I can fit through windows, and I'm not an obvious target for rockets and railguns, and I can use all the stuff the regular soldiers use! I'm just...not a regular soldier! Well, actually, I can be any regular soldier--I'm made to slot into any Alliance army and doctrine, easy!

I'm the first prototype they came up with, so they called me Subject Alpha while I slept in a vat and got my optimization goals inputted and trialed in controlled conditions, but when we got to live combat testing, the spec-ops people I got assigned to didn't like that. Said it was...I can't remember, something about being just like the Vular? So they called me Alph instead. One of them said it sounded like their brother's name, I think. So now you can call me Alph!

I heard in my vat that if the war kept going on, eventually they were hoping to manufacture enough like me to augment every platoon in the Alliance army, someone just like me deployed by the hundreds of thousands across the galaxy. But then the war ended, and Bet, Del, and Gam...oh, that's my name for the other prototypes...didn't fare so well in the combat trials. The section I got deployed with said it was because those guys didn't treat their assignees like family. So I'm like the oldest brother. Even though they're sleeping in the labs, I gotta do my best for them. Even though I think the project's been scrubbed since we're not at war with the Vular? I don't think the techs know what to do with me...

• What reason do you think the OCI has for contacting you/how do you think they heard of you?

...I'm a secret project by the Alliance to help turn the war in their favor. They heard of me before I even opened my eyes.

• What made you accept the "offer"?

I had a choice? I...guess I could've said no, but...I mean, the war ended before I could be what...er, who I was really meant to be, you know? Protecting people on a massive scale. And now I can! Be a protector! Self-actualization!

• What is your view of the Alliance?

Wouldn't be here without them, so...go Alliance? I guess?