Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ika posted:

But its fairly likely that at least 18 of those 19 billion just went to other hedge funds / banks, and you bet they are gonna profit on the way down.

Its paper losses while they are squeezed.

They could just pay the lenders until they bankrupt.

But if that stock stays at 300, they cant live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

spunkshui posted:

And as long as DeepFuckingValue holds and post his picture every day, most of these lunatics will hold. Is it enough? Who knows, they do not give a single gently caress though. It's like the MAGA effect except it might actually do some good in the long run because now Wallstreet regulation is going to be on everyone mind after they lose their 1000 buckaroos.

quote:

"Check my post history, I called this before the first breakout and I’m calling it again. AMC is not only next, it has already started. I expressed the market volume fundamentals the first time, but now I’ll explain why we NEED AMC to be next:

It is justified. I love the loving movies and I reject bankruptcy motivated short sellers who will kill the employment of thousands of people. I reject them, I reject them, I reject them.

GME NEEDS to be more than an anomaly. If it is our one and only gently caress you to the system then it will be forgotten about. If and WHEN it happens to AMC, this becomes a public strategy.

The principle behind GME is also an attack on inequality through a rejection of our current manipulative financial system. Short selling is not just 75% bullshit, during a pandemic it’s 150% blood-seeking. Does anyone really believe AMC would be seeking bankruptcy if not for the pandemic? Hedge fund fucks have been warned — we are COMING for you.

ONE 🚀 is NOT enough. We have many 🦍 and they have mouths to feed. Institutional investors jump from one concept to another; why the gently caress can’t we? Why the gently caress shouldn’t we? Trick question: these are our rights as investors.

Do people not love the movies? I bought into GME for the cause and because GameStop is a business I support. Frankly, I support AMC even more. I continued being an AMC A-Plus Member through the pandemic because I wanted to support the business. Incidentally, I also hold Apple, Disney, Microsoft, etc. Why is it only okay for me to support and rally for the stock market’s top holdings?

Robinhood and other trading platforms restricted multiple stocks, AMC among them. My personal earnings have been manipulated as have yours. And if trading platforms and hedge funds are allowed to do this, it will forever disincentive public participation in the markets. I have a Bullseye on EVERY stock that was restricted — however, AMC had the most momentum and activity outside of GME, it is continuing to rally, and I will continue to breathe life into it. This level of market manipulation CANNOT be allowed. And, to be clear, this also means I effectively have an ETF at the moment of just stocks that I was told I couldn’t buy — because why? — gently caress that level of bullshit, that’s why.

I am tired of money printing and bailouts being used as the only strategy for saving our economy. PRIVATE CAPITAL should also be SOCIAL CAPITAL. The amount of wealth inequality is loving insane right now. Never in the history of humanity has the concentration of total assets been held by so few hands. The public can’t have a single approach for generating wealth via a transfer back down the chain? Seriously, not even one?

Look, I have so many more reasons. AMC is due to come back when the pandemic resolves, I love getting handjobs at the movies, I enjoy eating popcorn and watching movies with crowds in front of a big loving screen and

I LIKE THIS STOCK. WE LIKE THIS STOCK. 🚀🍿🔥

This is a French Revolution of the financial industry, and it is over loving due.

LONG AMC!!! DIAMOND HANDS 💎 🙌🖕
"
These people are legit psychos, but this time it's actually good for society as a whole. It's like whatever weapon they had used aimed at the US government institutions over the last 4 years got turned on actual bad guys and up until now they don't really know how to respond to it.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 30, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Philthy posted:

I always thought it was because no where could ever let you "cash" out so you were essentially stuck buying:

at this point there are US exchanges (eg coinbase) that you can cash out and be certain you're actually gonna get money, rather than itchy & scratchy bux or a bank transfer from the Republic of Arstotzka that's gonna bounce after 4 days

however, the reputable US-based exchange also reports your cashing out to the IRS. and Biden's treasury sec looks like she's also gonna make them follow other banking rules (high transaction reporting, anti-laundering regulations) so who knows how long they'll be around.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

maniacripper posted:

And as long as DeepFuckingValue holds and post his picture every day, most of these lunatics will hold. Is it enough? Who knows, they do not give a single gently caress though. It's like the MAGA effect except it might actually do some good in the long run because now Wallstreet regulation is going to be on everyone mind after they lose their 1000 buckaroos.

New people can only buy 1 stock.

But if you could tie a rock to 300$ and throw it at a billionaire, would you? Thats what they are saying on reddit.

I think the shorting list comes out Monday.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Klyith posted:

at this point there are US exchanges (eg coinbase) that you can cash out and be certain you're actually gonna get money, rather than itchy & scratchy bux or a bank transfer from the Republic of Arstotzka that's gonna bounce after 4 days

however, the reputable US-based exchange also reports your cashing out to the IRS. and Biden's treasury sec looks like she's also gonna make them follow other banking rules (high transaction reporting, anti-laundering regulations) so who knows how long they'll be around.

And coin holders are super excited to be paying capital gain taxes to a revenue service that refuses to classify it as currency for very obvious reasons

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Read this whole thing thus far in one setting, what a ride.

Also check this out: gamestock :slick: :moonrio: :qfg:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I don't even understand how mass shorting is profitable. Okay you sold for 10 and hoping the price drops to 4. But now you got to buy and you'd think sellers who know about the short will price to reflect this. Obviously this isn't the case but it's what I would expect.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol, imagine if all that money was donated to the DSA and used to actually gently caress with billionaires. There could have been something good happening ... lol

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

what is the charge???

buying a gamestop?
a succulent short-stock gamestop?

this is capitalism manifest!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lmao

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

spunkshui posted:

Naw I mean the initial hedge lost 19 billion or whatever, but since most of the shares were owned by other hedges and billionaires, most of that money went to them.

Bright Bart posted:

I don't even understand how mass shorting is profitable. Okay you sold for 10 and hoping the price drops to 4. But now you got to buy and you'd think sellers who know about the short will price to reflect this. Obviously this isn't the case but it's what I would expect.

You would need to have every single seller of millions hold together for that price, with only one of em making profit. In reality they just undercut each other to the minimum price somebody is willing to sell for.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ika posted:

Naw I mean the initial hedge lost 19 billion or whatever, but since most of the shares were owned by other hedges and billionaires, most of that money went to them.

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

The article is a leak showing that they still have the short position meaning they’re hosed because if they had to actually close the position it would cost them $19 billion which is absolutely not how much they got when they shorted those stocks.

Edit: they sold a bunch of stock without owning it, now buying it all makes them bankrupt instead of profit. They have been kicking the can according to the leak.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 30, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

When you massively short a stock you borrow a poo poo ton of shares and then sell them all which floods the market.

It would be like if I went to a trading card company and ask them to borrow 1 million foil Charizard’s and I just threw them all on eBay immediately.

The value of Charizard drops from $100 to $10, it crashes the trading economy, and I can just snatch up the cheapest Charizard‘s on the open market and return them to the card company.

Except right now Charizard cost $300 instead of the $100 I sold them all for because Charizard is on every single news channel.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 30, 2021

Kilbas
Feb 1, 2011

spunkshui posted:

When you massively short a stock you borrow a poo poo ton of shares and then sell them all which floods the market.

It would be like if I went to a trading card company and ask them to borrow 1 million foil Charizard’s and I just threw them all on eBay immediately.

The value of Charizard drops from $100 to $10, it crashes the trading economy, and I can just snatch up the cheapest Charizard‘s on the open market and return them to the card company.

Except right now Charizard cost $300 instead of the $100 I sold them all for because Charizard is on every single news channel.

Eh... I’m still not getting it, can you use a funko pop analogy instead?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kilbas posted:

Eh... I’m still not getting it, can you use a funko pop analogy instead?

Imagine four pops on the edge of a cliff.

Investment works the same way.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Meme Poker Party posted:

Imagine four pops on the edge of a cliff.

Investment works the same way.

Got a legitimate laugh out loud from me

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

spunkshui posted:

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

The article is a leak showing that they still have the short position meaning they’re hosed because if they had to actually close the position it would cost them $19 billion which is absolutely not how much they got when they shorted those stocks.

Edit: they sold a bunch of stock without owning it, now buying it all makes them bankrupt instead of profit. They have been kicking the can according to the leak.

That part is clear. But the redistribution of wealth thing is only going on in minuscule amounts according to my understanding, because most of the money went to other fat cats.

In the past:
Hedge A sold X million shares @ 20 dollars, delivery today.
Hedge B/C/D/E, DFV and others bought X million shares @ 25 dollars.

Today:
Hedge A now needs to buy X million shares @ 500 dollars, losing 19 billion
Hedge B/C/D/E + others sell shares @ 500 dollars are up 18 billion, and no longer own any shares

Hedge F put in shorts/puts @ 500 dollars.

In the future
shorts/puts @ 500 dollars expire, making more $$$

Ika fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 30, 2021

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

spunkshui posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/market...21-1-1030020684

“Hedge funds and other institutions shorting GameStop stock were sitting on losses of about $19 billion as of Friday, new data shared exclusively with Insider indicates.

Figures from the data provider Ortex suggested that investors who had bet that the share price would fall had been massively squeezed, with losses topping $10 billion on Wednesday alone, when GameStop soared 135%”

https://v.redd.it/l1pa6yuvdhe61

lol

I don't know poo poo about any of this, but it sounds like in order for this to happen, there had to be at least 12 billion dollars worth of stocks in the wild before all this started? Is that true? Is gamestop even worth that much to begin with? I don't really understand how investors are losing so much money when it seems like gamestop isn't even worth that much to begin with. And if it is, does that mean there are just multiple billions of dollars in stocks tied up in every rundown franchise like red lobster and poo poo like that? How does a single bad investment into a single company crash an entire hedge fund? Did they have all have their entire portfolios in GameStop

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

GABA ghoul posted:

Lol, imagine if all that money was donated to the DSA and used to actually gently caress with billionaires. There could have been something good happening ... lol

Hey I hear Amy McGrath's campaign is still collecting funds

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I don't know poo poo about any of this, but it sounds like in order for this to happen, there had to be at least 12 billion dollars worth of stocks in the wild before all this started? Is that true? Is gamestop even worth that much to begin with? I don't really understand how investors are losing so much money when it seems like gamestop isn't even worth that much to begin with. And if it is, does that mean there are just multiple billions of dollars in stocks tied up in every rundown franchise like red lobster and poo poo like that? How does a single bad investment into a single company crash an entire hedge fund? Did they have all have their entire portfolios in GameStop

Its because the move (short selling) has unlimited loss potential.

Short selling guarantees* them profit because the maneuver floods the market with stock.

*nothing is guaranteed and more a stock goes up the more money they lose. Them having to buy back the stock compounds the problem because it raises the price more.

The short position people keep praying than enough retail investors will exit that’s gonna be ok for them to dig their way out of this but that line is being held in ways that no line has ever been held before.

At some point we’re going to learn if the stock is still shorted or not, but that leak says it is.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ika posted:

That part is clear. But the redistribution of wealth thing is only going on in minuscule amounts according to my understanding, because most of the money went to other fat cats.

In the past:
Hedge B/C/D/E, DFV and others bought X million shares @ 25 dollars.

Today:
Hedge B/C/D/E + others sell shares @ 500 dollars are up 18 billion, and no longer own any shares

Hedge F put in shorts/puts @ 500 dollars.

In the future
shorts/puts @ 500 dollars expire, making more $$$

It’s been a meme for a long time at WSB that there are enough people in WSB to practically own GameStop.

People often post that they’ve grabbed 100 shares to do their part and that’s been going on for months.

The stock going up while gamestop is doomed is probably why it got shorted so goddamn hard by the algorithms.

The hedgefund that’s been shorting GameStop is the same one that purchases information from Robinhood.

It’s been announced that a stupid number of RobinHood users own some GameStop.

I’m sure there’s wealthy people making money on all this but there’s also a lot of random people holding a line.

I’m glad I’m not involved im the current meme stocks but it’s loving fascinating to watch.

My assumption that this is just going to be a fantastic year for stocks that millennials like in general because once they get the Ap on their phone they’re not gonna delete it especially if the first time that you used it they got money.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

GABA ghoul posted:

source your quotes

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Philthy posted:

I always thought it was because no where could ever let you "cash" out so you were essentially stuck buying:

1. a hit on someone
2. illegal firearms
3. access to child abuse sites
4. illegal drugs
5. stolen credit card data

and thats about all you can "buy"
Nowadays you can trade in bitcoins on the normal stock trading platforms; so if you're treating it as a gamble/investment rather than a currency you want to spend none of these problems apply.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yea the trick is to never actually own a crypto coin, which is hard to cash; you only want to own stakes in positions on them. which i'm not sure whether that's less risky or more risky than holding the coin itself, but certainly more convenient in terms of offloading the worthless piece of poo poo onto an idiot

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fur20 posted:

yea the trick is to never actually own a crypto coin, which is hard to cash; you only want to own stakes in positions on them. which i'm not sure whether that's less risky or more risky than holding the coin itself, but certainly more convenient in terms of offloading the worthless piece of poo poo onto an idiot

tradin fake money to add some real money to an account you never remove cash from. yup, sounds stable

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
$doge paid off. I am glad I got off that wild ride when I did because now I can buy even more $doge when it settles down.

The future is $doge

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

GABA ghoul posted:

Is, this a joke or

Like gently caress, after a year of extremists on both sides storming this building and burning down that building, it was a bunch of loving redditors who all unironically call themselves retarded and worship "daddy Musk" that actually managed to do any real damage to the elite ruling overclass lol

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 30, 2021

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
You're still investing in an instrument that facilitates the sales of child pornography and murder for hire, but if you're cool with that, cool, I guess?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Arms_Akimbo posted:

You're still investing in an instrument that facilitates the sales of child pornography and murder for hire, but if you're cool with that, cool, I guess?
Pretty sure people have been using USD to pay for the same poo poo since it has existed so guess you should divest from that too

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ika posted:

In the past:
Hedge B/C/D/E, DFV and others bought those X million shares @ 20 dollars, delivery today.

Today:
Hedge B/C/D/E are up 18 billion, and others including DFV are up one billion.

Probably not like that. They can't just buy shares at $500 because there aren't enough shares. They are short more shares than exist.

The hedge funds and big-money operators who were short are taking X billion dollars and cutting deals with major brokerages, banks, insurance firms, and giant traditional wealth funds. Their deal offer goes like this: "Rather than spin this out until we go bankrupt and this thing causes a stock market crash, let's do a deal. You take our X billion, and our insurer's Y billion. You split that up in equal slices and we all just pretend this never happened."

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Ewan posted:

Pretty sure people have been using USD to pay for the same poo poo since it has existed so guess you should divest from that too

Yeah don't invest in forex either, you're right

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

spunkshui posted:

The stock going up while gamestop is doomed is probably why it got shorted so goddamn hard by the algorithms.
please tell me the market is getting LTCMed again

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

GABA ghoul posted:

ben shapino posted:

source your quotes

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Ewan posted:

We all gotta draw the line somewhere. I drive a car but I care about its energy efficiency.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Klyith posted:

Shorting more stock than exists and losing billions of dollars are merely stupid, not criminal. And losing a poo poo-ton of other rich people's money is a thing many hedge funds have done before now. As long as they haven't lied about anything the rich investors pretty much just have to suck it up.

Of course they’re lying about it, and also if lying to financial news outlets to manipulate markets were a crime we took seriously, we would run out of prison space

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Oof. Doge is trending back to its sub penny value and the coiners are taking it rough. Apparently a pump and dump?

Oh no my ill gotten gains.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Dear Watson posted:

$doge paid off. I am glad I got off that wild ride when I did because now I can buy even more $doge when it settles down.

The future is $doge

As long as the people left holding when it crashes keep most of it, and as long as the price spikes again eventually, we can all win!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

The long-con is driving the stock low enough that the executives at Gamestop just give up, sell all of their shares, and declare bankruptcy, rendering the stock worthless.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ewan posted:

Nowadays you can trade in bitcoins on the normal stock trading platforms; so if you're treating it as a gamble/investment rather than a currency you want to spend none of these problems apply.

That's true, but all of the other downsides still apply, such as supporting something that produces no value while consuming entire countries' worth of electricity. Buying bitcoins does nothing but enrich FYGM libertarians who are literally burning through the world's finite resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
creb poo triumphant