Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If you can afford it, 1-2 shares of GME isn't a bad idea. Just be aware that you might also lose $700.

I think they're probably going to pump it until they ruin people's lives, which given that I've been predicting stock poo poo for a while now (it's all just bullshit, all those articles are bullshit), :lol:

I hope they're all billionaires before they're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

You operate at a loss to make the competition lose more money then take on all their clients when they go out of business before you do or w/e, it's a p typical strategy when one fish gets bigger enough to fast for a bit while chasing down another fish. Obviously I'm being incredibly simplistic here but I find it hard to believe that something so easy to do you could get a bunch of tangentially related internet small time investors together to make a big enough impact isn't a wildly used strategy among bigger people just to crush competition.

Just legit curious on why this isn't used more often, if it just happened to be an incredibly lucky blow or if a bunch of redditors are also about to lose as much if not more money than they cost the funds they were fighting.

Because the bigger groups are terrified of getting shut down/fines/etc. Redditors have nothing to lose. This is definitely treading some fine lines but it isn't over any of them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mazz posted:

Super interested to see what happens between now and Friday with the weekly calls, but yeah god drat that one dude on Reddit is up 25 million today. Just insane.

Whole lot of dumb people dumping their live savings into this at like $300/share tho which is pretty fuckin' questionable. Time will tell.

With it going viral like this, I assume it's going to pop very, very hard after opening tip, drop a little as short-term people fall to the side, then redditors will fuel it to 400-500 if they're being serious. They sure seem to be.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Robinhood is going to get butchered the second some of those angry folks wake up :lol:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Robinhood's already dead :lol:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Klyith posted:

ok apparently the 100% margin was last night, and full block this morning

preventing people from losing all their money on an insane bubble stock is still a good thing

you're a good little capitalist piggy, yes you are.

ps: everything this person says is wrong. people are allowed to buy into, even encouraged to buy into, lovely stocks all the time.

this is to protect big money hedgebabies.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr_Companie posted:

Everyone is in this thread like "the people who conspired to make this happen and got thousands of redditors involved did nothing wrong"

Look, I worked for TMF (I still do, but I'm on break right now and not sure if I'm going back). This is no different than the poo poo we do all the time.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mozi posted:

what bitcoin taught me is that something can be less than worthless by its own merits but if enough other people don't realize that then it will be worth something

hey this is why donald trump was president for four years

AMC will probably be next

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

This is what I read to get an idea about whats going on and how this poo poo works, if anyone is still curious

https://twitter.com/migbike/status/1354449364463325185?s=19

That's a really elegant thread for explaining this whole thing to people who do not do this day in and day out. A+ find.

if reddit does indeed hold on for another week or so, and they have every opportunity to do it, :lol:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Internetjack posted:

Does SA have an investing forum?
I think all of this is hilarious, its like the GoonSwarm people in the Eve Online thread.
One side is saying "this is how you are supposed to play the game!" Goons response is to min/max everything and cooperate with each other, well within the rules of the game, but end up dominating it.

For reals though, if you want to invest in markets, understand the difference between speculation (that's what is happening here and is high risk/high rewards) and investment (which is typically low risk but also long term rewards).

If you are a young goon looking for a long term payoff, start investing in investments that pay dividends.

We have an awesome finance forum right here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=200

Without them I wouldn't have made literally hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years, if only due to the occasional really cool WFH thing that pops up and discovering some of their methods in the stock threads.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

I am just happy that after reading about what happened with Gamestop, I can finally understand what is happening at the end of Trading Places. That confused the poo poo out of me for years.

It's not quite that but it's really close. Stuff has changed since the 80s.

Gods, now I gotta watch Trading Places.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Am I correct in thinking Reddit could’ve saved Toys R Us when they slashed and burned that company a couple of years ago?

Huge maybe but likely not. That isn't really the case here.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

HugeGrossBurrito asked in the Trump lol thread for a better explanation of all of this poo poo in terms that could be more easily understood by a goon, so I wrote this helpful post and goons keep reposting it because I guess it's been really helpful to them, so I thought it may be of some assistance in this thread too. If you're already one of the cool people who reads the Trump lol thread then I apologize for reposting this all I want to do is help :shobon:

I'll put this in terms that goons can more easily grasp:

Your friend grover is a hoarder with thousands of bags of cool ranch doritos stashed away in his weird house, behind a column of empty mountain dew cans holding up his leaking roof (he assures you that this is up to code, he's a certified engineer after all). One day you borrow 10 bags of cool ranch doritos from grover and sell them to various meth heads around town, making a bit of cash to help fund your crippling addiction to scented candles and goldbelly cookies. You kept doing this every day for 6 months; the 7-11 that the meth heads were buying from has to drop their price, so you drop yours, and eventually you're selling the doritos for like a quarter each. Bags of doritos are so cheap now that Grover considers whether it would be more economical to reshingle his roof with corn chips. You strongly recommend that he do this.

You don't repay Grover the bags of dorritos that you borrowed from him yet, but he says it's cool so long as you keep stroking his hog every Saturday to completion

Suddenly a bunch of diaperfurs on reddit are organizing a huge anime-themed lan party. One of them says aloud, to an empty room, "We'd better get some cool ranch doritos" and then gestures to a realdoll while saying "My fiance Rebecca-chan is telling me that doritos are essential to our foodplay." Then that furry notices that doritos are surprisingly cheap right now and points out to all of the other diaperfurs that you owe Grover like a million bags of dorritos by now, so it'd be really funny if they bought out all of the doritos within 50 miles and sold them back to you at a high markup. "gently caress that HugeGrossBurrito person" they all nod sagely in agreement. So they go around town to every store and vending machine, sometimes trying and failing to pay in bitcoin but eventually using cash to buy all of the doritos that you had made super cheap. Stores run out of doritos as soon as they stock them so they start hiking the price to $20 per bag

Grover sees this and is like "HGB, my dearest friend and closest confidant, your sagely wisdom was critical when I was designing my wonderful and undoubtedly structurally-sound home. You're the best. You even showed me how to shave down the I-beams beneath my bathtub so that I could sink it ever so slightly into the floor, so thank you for suggesting that I do that, what a cool and innovative idea. But the other day I was playing a long world of warcraft session and there was not a single bag of dorritos to be found anywhere in my house, I even looked behind the insulation holding up my stairs. I'm going to have to ask that you replenish my supply now"

You had already spent all of your proceeds on candles and expensive cookies, hoping that some day you'd be able to convince some idiot bulk retailer to trade you the near-worthless bags of doritos for a large number of dogecoins or something else of very little value. But again, instead the bags are $20 each now. So what Grover is asking for will actually cost you a lot of money. To cover this you have to sell all of your anime wall scrolls and your large number of shares in various goon projects. You are singlehandedly responsible for Zybourne Clock never getting produced and revolutionizing the video game industry.

After you finish giving Grover all of the doritos you owe him, he thanks you and sinks back into the naturally-forming bog in his basement. You notice that the furries are still buying doritos, claiming that it's the next bitcoin and "a store of value" that's heading "to the moon". They continue to claim that pumping the price is somehow going to screw you personally over. Some are breaking off from the main group and saying that cheetos will be the next big thing to replace doritos. Retailers that actually sell these products continue to make ridiculous amounts of money.

This may be the best understanding that we goons will ever have of stocks in general. Thank you and I love you.

After cashing out some GME, I decided to buy like $5 worth of doge. Because I've got a lot of dogs. So why not?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i'm making a bunch of money on weed stocks and dogecoin

the future is so insanely stupid. just imagine the stupidest thing that could possibly loving happen and assume it will, because that's how shits gone for the past few years.

which weed stocks are you playing with?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Some guy from wallstreetbets just drank his own piss on camera. I don't know if that's related to Gamestop, but I thought y'all should know.

they're the embodiment of that wolf of wall street movie and I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

bees everywhere posted:

Mr. and Mrs. PissDrinker must be so proud. I'm sure the attention has been worth it and this will never come back to haunt him and he won't die a little inside every time the memory pops into his head while he's driving his kids to school in his 40s.

you've been on the forums since 2002, man. you know what people do on the internet.