Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Justin Godscock posted:

The short-sellers will be the ones holding the bag in the end, the people that take advantage of the "suckers" that buy a hot stock thinking they know better.

It won't even be the short-sellers themselves. It will be their brokers, and if the brokers can't cover the losses then it will be the insurers and banks.

I honestly hope this ends up scuttling Robinhood's IPO, leaving Citadel stung from multiple directions.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1355038483635720193

Lolie fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

GABA ghoul posted:

What's gonna happen is that the hedge fund company is gonna declare bankruptcy, skip out on most of the debt and the workers are gonna go on to new jobs and don't give a gently caress about this in a couple of months. Meanwhile, hundred of thousands(or even millions)of regular people will lose their money/life saving in this dumb ponzi scheme. Some of them old people who gonna end up in the streets. What a great cause to rally behind.

If Melvin can't cover the loss, their broker has to cover it (there were rumours a couple of days ago that Melvin's position in Alibaba had been liquidated). If their broker can't cover it, then it has to be covered by the insurers/banks.

wsb have been very clear from the outset that this is about screwing over Melvin (and the hedge funds who have already come to their rescue) and not about making money.
Up until the trading apps started requiring people to buy whole shares, many people were throwing less than $100 at this purely to spite Wall Street and they were happy to lose that money.

GME was a perfect storm of circumstances. The other meme stocks are not at the moment.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

hawowanlawow posted:

if more shares were borrowed than exist and the hedge funds get liquidated or bailed out, how do those who lent out the stocks get their valuable gamestop stock investments back?

As far as we know, they were naked short selling so they never borrowed the shares in the first place.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
wsb estimates that Melvin's losses to date are around $20 billion.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Extra Large Marge posted:

Why are people still using Robinhood?

Because the news that Citadel has a stake in them as well as in Melvin is taking a while to spread.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Haulin Oates posted:

I've been reading WSB, and while I don't know how many are sincere, there are a poo poo ton of posts by people declaring that they're knowingly and happily throwing their money away for the chance to destroy a hedge fund. As far as many of them are concerned, whatever they paid was just the price of admission. It's called Wall Street Bets, not Wall Street Investments; they're pretty clear that they're gambling on the stock market.

I noticed the same with people buying GME.

People buying the other meme stocks because they can't get hold of GME seem less informed, though, and many don't understand that just because those stocks are being shorted doesn't mean the people shorting them are in the same situation as the funds shorting GME. There are plenty of AMC stocks available, for instance, so those who've shorted them can easily cover their positions no matter how many redditors jump in.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Lister posted:

AMC has the bonus of potential to bounce back when people are confident to go back to theaters. I don't think that one is an outlandish investment at its current price. Carnival is in the same boat but literally no one is memeing about it so it's still struggling.

Yeah, AMC could definitely be OK as could Nokia. Throwing your life savings at either would be stupid but risking a modest amount on them isn't the worst decision you could make.

Sucks to be Robinhood today.

https://twitter.com/MrFourToEight/status/1355274195836391424

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Goobish posted:

Are they planning on doing the same tactic with AMC stock? It seems on the surface like people are buying AMC because they truly think it'll come back and be a good stock to have. But, I mean, this is just more of the "pump and dump (for lack of a better term)" thing right? To the moon!

It just seems like the gamestop short is a pretty unique situation, and I'm wondering (in dumb dumb terms) how similar AMC's situation truly is?

AMC and Nokia are companies which both have potential to recover. While that's not assured, people could do worse than making a small investment and holding them.

The "to the moon" stuff being applied to every shorted stock is just bullshit hype, though.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Fake James posted:

Counterpoint, the 5G in the vaccine means everyone will be able to stream on the go!

The 5G in the vaccine means you should be buying Nokia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

feelix posted:

I didn't know that stocks could be traded outside of business hours, so let me guess how that works:

There is an established protocol for committing to selling and buying said shares at prices agreed upon during extended hours once the markets do open, similar to how there is an established protocol for options trading

Institutional trades can be made after hours but retail traders don't have access to the after hours market.