Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
JUNGLE BOY VS FTR MAN 58 71.60%
Britt vs The National Front Disco 2 2.47%
Eddie vs Archer 7 8.64%
Bullet Club vs Dark Order 14 17.28%
Total: 81 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Pylons posted:

Darby is a bad influence on Sting!

I LIKE Sting, but gently caress me was that promo painful.

Edit: Hoodlum.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Really good episode of Dynamite with a bunch of good talking points:

- Jungle Boy/Dax was a really good old school style match that made Jungle Boy especially look great

- Main event was fun, I love face Dark Order

- Two real good promos from Mox and PAC

- Adding Matt into Hangman's journey is a great new wrinkle. I hope the story is that Matt genuinely wants to help but he's such a toxic person he just makes things worse. Also I really want to see Hangman bounce off the heel Private Party given their history

- RIHO RIHO RIHO RIHO RIHO RIHO :neckbeard: If the tournament is US vs Japan each match rather than two different brackets did TK just smuggle a bunch of joshi in the private yacht?

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Bucks’ll probably swerve us all and choose MCMG instead, which I will also take.

Isn't Alex Shelley injured?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh and congratulations to Shanna for successfully migrating a new country :)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

- RIHO RIHO RIHO RIHO RIHO RIHO :neckbeard: If the tournament is US vs Japan each match rather than two different brackets did TK just smuggle a bunch of joshi in the private yacht?

Ex said that Riho vs Serena Deeb was the first match "in the US side of the bracket", so my takeaway from that is that they managed to get Riho back into the US, and that the Japan side of the bracket is gonna be all non-AEW Joshi

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Pylons posted:

I know it's not landing as well for anyone else but I'm really into Sting being the dad who's son is into some real goth poo poo and he's trying desperately to fit in, but he's still a super nice dude.

Like this, but genuine

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChrisBTY posted:

Like this, but genuine

Incredible

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

So glad good brothers are on aew. Was bummed when they went to impact.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

1) Eddie Kingston vs Lance Archer. Hot crowd as this starts. Lance just absorbing chops and grinning is great. The match is slow and methodical but also pretty brutal. As we expand into Archer bullying Kingston it finds its groove. Jesus, some of these Archer chokeslams are murder attempts. Great ending for the story.

Mox promo. I like the "yeah, I'll hit people" attitude but this seemed just a little phoned in.

Stang hanging out with Dobby. This is kind of a fun promo. Breaking windows was silly, but I liked it.

2) MJF and Jericho vs Varsity Blonds. I liked Griff getting a measure of revenge on MJF. Blonds look pretty good here to start. Garrison is a good hot tag. In the end not a difficult match for Jericho and MJF to win, but pretty good fun. The tensions in the inner circle are great

Pac said "Billy Big Bollocks", best promo ever.

Wow, that was the most phoned in Shaq promo possible.

Officially bored of the Snoop remix of Cody's theme. Cody angles are becoming the weak link of Dynamite. Cody, don't tease matches involving pregnant people. This is a good promo segment, nice touches of reality from Arn, nice advancing of the "Cody is overconfident" story. Red Velvet comes out and looks like a killer. Her promo is okay, but don't "quite frankly". Yeah, she was believably tough there.

Wedding promo. Okay.

3) Hangman Page vs Ryan Nemeth who is already in the ring. Straight into the wrasslin' here, and Nemeth doesn't look bad at all. Ooh, what's Matt Hardy doing out here? Nemeth is a bit anonymous, but he can wrestle, I'll give him that. Short match but competitive. I could stand to see Nemeth again.

Oh, Matt, you absolute loving vulture. You manipulative son of a bitch.

4) Dax Harwood vs Jungle Boy. Those are some long handcuffs. Charlie, you'd better not mess up those handcuffs. Make your son proud. Good clash of styles in this match. Cash is a solid bully while Jungle Boy is so fast and athletic. God, that strike exchange was gorgeous. This is adding up to a pretty good match,but there are points where these guys really don't gel. And a decisive submission from Jungle Boy. Jungle Boy looked great out there.

Post-match dirty tricks continue the feud nicely. Nooo, not Luchasaurus's horns!

Team Taz promo. Hook beats up merch guys. This is fine.

5) Britt Baker vs Shanna. Britt Baker temporarily turns face just by existing in this match. Britt's "hahaha what the gently caress" expression during Shanna's entrance was great. Reba doing Shanna's makeup was fun. This is a solid wrestling match, and Britt looks good. She's sharpened in the ring of late. And the non-fascist won! Yay!

Thunder Rosa comes out in hero mode at the end.

MJF / Sammy segment is great. Sammy trending face works perfectly.

RIHO IS COMING BACK! And facing Serena some time soon! Yay! I'm intrigued by "on the US side of the bracket".

Good Brothers and Young Bucks promo. Kenny interrupts. Very interesting chaos.

6) Good Brothers and Young Bucks vs The Dark Order. God, the Dark Order are such good faces now. Gallows facing off against Silver loving rocks. Lots of good divided loyalty stuff here. It really reinforces that Silver and Reynolds are tag team main eventers now. We get a Speedball Mike Bailey call out on commentary. I should also point out that quietly Stu Grayson is one of the best wrestlers in the entire world. Silver is rapidly becoming a top 5 hot tag too. This is a really fun multi man. The coherence of the Dark Order in doing four man chain offense is remarkable. And to be fair the 4-way super kick from Bucks and Brothers was pretty great. Very good match.

Matt teases Bucks vs Good Brothers, then Fenix attacks to avenge his brother. Perfectly fine ending schmozz.

Not a bad show all told. Some things that worked perfectly, some that worked okay. Wrestling is good.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

Like this, but genuine

:perfect:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

I should also point out that quietly Stu Grayson is one of the best wrestlers in the entire world.

Yeah as much as John Silver gets all the attention I think turning face is going to be huge for Stu too cause he's gonna really get to light a fire in tag matches

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ChrisBTY posted:

Like this, but genuine

lmao

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Lance Archer and Eddie Kingston should both be in the next expendables movie.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Crapple! posted:

Please coward Tony do not put the Good Brothers on the ppv. This is exactly what I was worried would happen. I'm not interested in seeing 2 guys from another company and who I frankly think are the absolute shits getting a spot on that card over a team I actually care about from the show I watch

Yeah, the good brothers seem like they'd be in the bottom 3 tag teams in AEW. Gallows being a heel by being a lame weirdo talking carny talking about his cock was something I didn't even the energy to try to explain what the gently caress to my girlfriend.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

I LIKE Sting, but gently caress me was that promo painful.

Edit: Hoodlum.

The announcers then saying "They look like hoodlums :downs:!" made it even substantially more lame somehow.

Rarity posted:

Yeah as much as John Silver gets all the attention I think turning face is going to be huge for Stu too cause he's gonna really get to light a fire in tag matches

The MCMG option would be amazing, but seriously if the Dark Order and Young Bucks are given 15+ minutes it'll be an incredible match.

My girlfriend really loved the Jungle Boy/Dax match. Just such a solid match, and I'm glad the handcuffs actually worked (so the stip made sense).

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Wazzu posted:

and I'm glad the handcuffs actually worked (so the stip made sense).

I was wondering what kind of weird spot the cuffs would be part of late in the match but it just worked out the most simple way possible and then told the story after the match

A reason I really love AEW ; sometimes a stip is just a stip, and they've played off them great, like using handcuffs to let the baby face prove he's right against the crafty veteran that would have surely cheated to win, or Mox planting MJF anyway because the gently caress does Mox care lol

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Rarity posted:

Isn't Alex Shelley injured?

I don’t know his exact deal, but in his promo pulling out of Hard to Kill he said “I don’t have COVID and I’m not orthopedically injured.” so that closes those possibilities and I don’t think that necessarily closes off an appearance on the March PPV.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Count me among the people who are really into the Sting/Darby promo last night. I just like the idea of Sting coming in to AEW all brooding and mysterious but wanting to have a good time, then all this stuff with Taz and Darby has pushed him into smashing windows and doing hoodrat stuff. I'm also really excited for a Sting match in 2021, go figure.

Great show overall last night, Jungle Boy vs Dax was another great singles match for Jungle Boy, right up there with his matches with MJF and Jericho.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I just want to chime in to share my thoughts in Jungle Boy vs Bald FTR.

Here is my statement:

“Great match!”

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I keep thinking of little details that made the show so much fun last night, like Allie being in sneaking clothes to interfere in Eddie/Archer, and Britt making sure she’s staring down the camera before putting on Lockjaw.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man Shaq does not give a poo poo about any of this and only seems to be here to help a family friend. (If what they said in the Brandi/Shaq sitdown is true about Jade being a family friend is true).
Team Taz needs to squash some bugs (in the ring) to show that they're not just a bunch of dorks being led around by a coward posing as a badass.
My problem with Sting/Darby is that it doesn't feel like they actually have anything in common aside from painting their faces. So now I'm just going with the 'well-intentioned stepdad' thing.
Does anybody hope Kris Statlander will be back for the women's tournament? Is that even on the table?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 28, 2021

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Listening to the Amanda Huber episode of Unrestricted and it's good but it's a hard listen right off the start. She details Brodie's final days and how his sickness progressed, so if you're sensitive to that kind of thing just be aware. They get right into it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My main issue with the Sting and Shaq programs is I couldn't care less about 50+ year olds when there's so much exciting young talent in AEW.

Actually count the Good Brothers in on this too, although they're saved by the greater Bullet Club story being interesting.

e: I'm admittedly in a negative mood this morning for a little context to this. Nowhere near the end of the world with these - especially if the Shaq stuff gets Red Velvet over.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 28, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I wasn't for Shaq/Cody at all and was kind of hoping it had been quietly dropped. Until they got Red Velvet involved and especially the huge deal they made of her last night. I think it's just a vehicle for Jade and Red Velvet to get over, which I'm happy with.

I think the Good Brothers are hokey as hell, but I think it's intentional? Or at least they're playing it up like crazy since the Bucks are also getting more obnoxious since they showed up.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel like Red Velvet is just food for the beast that is Jade Cargill. It is giving her valuable Dynamite time though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I feel like I’m missing something with Jade Cargill. She’s tall and jacked and looks cool as gently caress but every time she talks I just want her to go away. I would very much like to see Red Velvet win their inevitable clash instead.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Shaq gonna tap out Cody like he did that MMA guy on Shaq Life.

Also Shaquille O'Neil Papa John's Stuffed Crust Weapons Battle Royal for Double or Nothing please

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

History Comes Inside! posted:

I feel like I’m missing something with Jade Cargill. She’s tall and jacked and looks cool as gently caress but every time she talks I just want her to go away. I would very much like to see Red Velvet win their inevitable clash instead.

I think it's because her beef is "my friend Shaq doesn't like you Cody... And I don't like you either"

She should have started with a strong feud against Swole or shift Penelope to a tweener and had them square up.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Like this, but genuine

Ahahahahahha

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I think it's because her beef is "my friend Shaq doesn't like you Cody... And I don't like you either"

She should have started with a strong feud against Swole or shift Penelope to a tweener and had them square up.

The thing is I still don't know what the gently caress Jade's problem is. She showed up out of nowhere, gave a five minute long rambling promo that explained nothing (unless this is really all predicated on Cody saying he was a giant killer and Shaq, a man in a totally different sport who was not being referred to took offence, in which case Shaq is a literal crazy person) and nothing has been clarified since. If they wanted to have a surrogate for Shaq cause he obviously isn't going to be there every week, great, but maybe get one who can actually talk and have a fuckin REASON for any of this. It's the most WWE poo poo they've ever done and I kinda hate it and want it the gently caress off my TV. Doubly so knowing the pay off is just the modern version of that fuckin Rodman/Malone tag match.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

getting more comfortable on the mic is a skill people can improve on. she's only 28 and has a killer look and I agree with people that she has some good potential

Vince MechMahon posted:

The thing is I still don't know what the gently caress Jade's problem is. She showed up out of nowhere, gave a five minute long rambling promo that explained nothing (unless this is really all predicated on Cody saying he was a giant killer and Shaq, a man in a totally different sport who was not being referred to took offence, in which case Shaq is a literal crazy person) and nothing has been clarified since. If they wanted to have a surrogate for Shaq cause he obviously isn't going to be there every week, great, but maybe get one who can actually talk and have a fuckin REASON for any of this. It's the most WWE poo poo they've ever done and I kinda hate it and want it the gently caress off my TV. Doubly so knowing the pay off is just the modern version of that fuckin Rodman/Malone tag match.

it was really clear that she was going to feud with brandi before the pregnancy was announced and I don't know how you managed to miss that

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Fancy Hat posted:

I think the Good Brothers are hokey as hell, but I think it's intentional? Or at least they're playing it up like crazy since the Bucks are also getting more obnoxious since they showed up.

They're invading rear end in a top hat heels, so of course they'd act like a pair of jackasses.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dango Bango posted:

the greater Bullet Club story being interesting.

I wonder how New Japan feels about ex-talent openly still calling themselves the Bullet Club :thunkher:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

A Fancy Hat posted:

They're definitely playing it up as guys who don't get that things have changed since they were in Bullet Club with the Bucks. I'm curious where they'll take it and I don't mind Gallows & Gun as a team so I'm into it for now.

I feel like I'm missing something with Jade Cargill. She's tall and jacked and looks cool as gently caress but every time she talks I just want her to go away. I would very much like to see Red Velvet win their inevitable clash instead.

She's very much an unproven commodity and starting her off on TV in a program with one of the company's EVPs and Shaq is a risk, to put it lightly. At least this one won't have Brandi oscillating between face and heel every week since they swapped her out for Red Velvet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CombineThresher posted:

Brandi oscillating between face and heel every week

Oh so that's what stirring it up is meant to mean

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

It's because everyone got Laurainaitis-itis and fall in love with a "look" to the exclusion of all other ability.

She's a painfully bad talker but people get mesmerised by her abs.

Red's promo last night was good though, was that her first time on mic on Dynamite?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was texting a friend yesterday weirded out that Silver and Reynolds, two guys who we watched for years as lower card indy dudes in Jersey, were main eventing against Bullet Club on TV. Was like, if you told me that a couple of years ago I would have called you insane

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

ChrisBTY posted:

Like this, but genuine

Add to the OP

Dynamite was great last night! It’s (almost) always great!!

Eddie/Archer was a fun opener, though I wasn’t crazy about the ending (probably by design). I hope these guys get another shot at each other, perhaps in some kind of structure that TRULY blocks outside interference (some kinda...cage...match???).

Jungleboy is a future megastar for sure. He’s got a fun crowd chant now (imagine how good it’ll be in a full crowd...one day...), he carries himself as such a likeable guy, and he’s getting REALLY good in-ring. A lot of that was Dax too; dude’s incredibly underrated and was REAL good in that bruiser role last night. I’m super excited for the eventual Jurassic Express (Luchasaurus/Jungleboy combo) v. FTR now, especially after that dastardly horn-trimming. :argh:

The Inner Circle match was a nice shine for the Varsity Blonds. Still think they’re kinda jobber dudes missing SOMETHING, but they’re fun for now. I feel like Jericho finishing with the Lionsault was him trying to redeem himself for last week’s botch (did it well this week!).

Not super into Matt Hardy dipping into the Hangman saga, but let’s see where it goes. Hangman almost seemed heelish at times in-ring (some brutal stomps and such here and there), so I wonder if they play into that a bit with Hardy egging him on like he has with Private Party.

I never even considered they were building to a mixed tag for Cody/Brandi v Shaq/Jade (figured two singles matches, but duh!). That said, they did a nice job of bringing in Red Velvet to defend Brandi’s honor and be her stand-in. Still hope Brandi gets to be ringside at least to bop Jade with a chair or something.

Dr. Britt remains the best, and I hope the Thunder Rosa match slaps next week. Also RIHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :toot:

Face Dark Order is a lot of fun, especially since they didn’t have to change anything in-ring from their heel days. Great match with the Bucks/Brothers (Good Brothers are great heels because my wife IMMEDIATELY hated them, so it’s fun to have them around for now).

Lastly, the build has been quick, but I am VERY EXCITED for the 6-Man next week. Mox and PAC’s promos built the hype well, and Fenix showing up to flip and fly around works just as well as a good promo to build up a fun match next week.

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 28, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Rarity posted:

I wonder how New Japan feels about ex-talent openly still calling themselves the Bullet Club :thunkher:

It’s very strange. Either there’s an agreement between AEW and NJPW or AEW is just saying gently caress it let’s reference BC and be legends.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I just need to note that "BIG BILLY BOLLOCKS" is maybe my favorite new insult in wrestling history. Thank you PAC.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flatluigi posted:

getting more comfortable on the mic is a skill people can improve on. she's only 28 and has a killer look and I agree with people that she has some good potential

it was really clear that she was going to feud with brandi before the pregnancy was announced and I don't know how you managed to miss that

Except she was bringing up Shaq even then. My issue is not the slotting out of Brandi with Velvet, and I'm not sure how you read my post and thought that was the issue I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Awesome dynamite I thought.

I'm kinda looking forward to Shaq doing a big move on Cody. I mean, I wonder how high Shaq can choke slam him or something!