Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Dungeons and Daddies is another in a line of a million Actual Play podcasts. Having listened to just about all of the big-named Actual Plays, I have no problem in saying that Dungeons and Daddies is my favorite by a mile. So if you're on the fence due to the deluge of TTRPG casts, I'll just try to sell you with a small list of what makes the DADDPOD special. If these things appeal to you:

- The first episode is very high quality and indicative of the quality of the show. There's no dicking around with bad audio or trying to find footing for ten hours like other casts.

- A campaign where the entire world can potentially shift on the whim of a funny joke, dice roll, or character action.

- Actual, genuinely funny and creative humor performed by professional writers.

- Blue humor that doesn't get too mean or punch down.

- Very few battles (depending on your taste), but lots of humor, player choice, and the moving forward of scenarios.

- Tightly edited to remove pretty much any dead air or dicking around by the DM/players (again, a preference to be sure).

- Well-paced so that an episode rarely goes by without lots of interesting things happening.

- Great use of guest players.

- An actual impressive amount of Patron content. It's regularly updated with not just the requisite "Talking about the campaign" episodes, but also one-shots and whole other campaigns in different game modules. The extra campaigns receive just as much (and sometimes even more) love than the main campaign. They even released a full-length rap album where Will raps in his Geologist Dad's character about rocks.

Then I would recommend loading up episode 1 and giving it a shot. Like I mentioned before, while the show gets better and better, I think it has the best start of any Actual Play bar none. I would recommend it even to people have no real interest in DnD and are just interested in a narrative comedy cast like Mission to Zyxx. If you're making your way through and are unsure if you want to finish the whole thing, then I'd recommend that you at least try listening up to the point where the cast comes face to face with "The Lord of Chaos."

The Show Itself:

(unofficial fan art by @coastalkitty)

The Premise: Four Dads from our world are magically transported to a way more chaotic, comedy-based version of Wizards of the Coast's "Forgotten Realms" world on a quest to save their sons and return home (as time goes on, they abandon Forgotten Realms in favor of their own creations). There's very little mystery in the base premise of what the characters are supposed to be doing as their overall goal, so any suspense or surprises come from the details of how they try to save their kids and get home. As such, there's less aimless wandering and asking NPCs about lore than the average Actual Play. The Dads play off of their archetypes really well, and the fact that the players are all professional writers means it feels like they have an understanding for what makes a good entertainment product.

Anthony Burch: The DM. What makes Anthony stand out among other Actual Play DMs is that while he's really amenable to the insane bullshit that his players always want to do, he is equally ready to throw it back in their faces for hilarious results. I'm actually afraid to mention even the smallest examples as his DM choices are genuinely really shocking and funny on their own. His improv is also top-notch. He's regularly come up with random NPCs off the top of his dome who quickly become really funny and interesting recurring characters.

Beth May: Everyone's favorite player, which the group even regularly acknowledges. She plays the emotionally under-developed Rogue Stepdad, Ron Stampler. As opposed to other podcasts whose chaotic players are usually hyperactive and manic, Beth plays Ron's chaos in a very understated way. Also unlike lots of chaotic favorites, the DM and the world don't let him act like a sociopath with impunity just because he's the most popular character.

Matthew Arnold: Matt plays Barbarian Sports Dad Darryl Wilson, the de-facto leader of the party. Matt is good at playing a well-meaning jock dad without making him abrasive, so you get more jokes about him being a meathead who loves being a dad than having Darryl just being a jock dick like one would expect. Darryl has trouble relating emotionally to his son, and has great interactions with Henry and a lot of the NPCs.

Will Campos: Will plays a middle-class, So-Cal NPR Hippie Druid Dad named Henry Oak. He has two beautiful sons, Lark and Sparrow, who are my personal favorite part of the show as his boundary-free parenting style results in his sons having trouble acknowledging other peoples' boundaries. Will is really good at feeling out joking about his character's liberalism while maintaining self-awareness of what he could be messaging, and is a good example of how smart and layered the humor can be.

Freddie Wong: Plays the Bardic Rock and Roll Musician Dad, Glenn Close. Freddie originally plays Glenn as kind of a clueless stoner character, but evolves him into a better source of humor as time goes on.

The Guests: While naming any of the guests or their characters could potentially ruin some of the best moments, it's worth noting that they all do a wonderful job and come up with great characters. Guests include Ashley Burch and Jenna Stoeber. They even did a crossover with popular podcast "Hey Riddle, Riddle!" that's really fun and creative.

Fan animations (spoilers):

Glenn, the Dumb Idiot Who Has a Lot of Charisma by Paula Peroff
Henry Blows His Stack by Paula Peroff
Henry and Ron Put on the Screws by Paula Peroff
Supporting Role by Paula Peroff
Round yon Virgin by CCRose (this one can be spoilery in that it may ruin a moment that normally has a great leadup)
Power. by Soapitude
Reading is dangerous and upsetting by Jane Mahoney

Links:

- https://www.dungeonsanddaddies.com/- Official site where you can find the episodes and free content, including transcripts. Also, merch.
- https://www.patreon.com/dungeonsanddads- Patreon
- Just search for the Reddit or Facebook or Wiki or whatever it's 2021.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
DADDPOD is so spectacularly well done. Episodes are tight, no nonsense, and pants-pissingly hilarious. The story arcs are extremely solid and put together for how absolutely insane the story beats end up being.

Also has some of the most memorable recurring npcs you could ever hope for.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

power rankings:
- ron
- paeden
- lark & sparrow
- all other dads

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

eke out posted:

power rankings:
- ron
- paeden
- lark & sparrow
- all other dads

Same, but Doug at the top.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Scam Likely is one of the best npc's in any dnd podcast.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Jeremor posted:

Scam Likely is one of the best npc's in any dnd podcast.

Well, actually...

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Pennsylvanian posted:

Well, actually...

That was the most inspired thing I had heard in any D&D podcast.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

That was the most inspired thing I had heard in any D&D podcast.

That whole episode was just bananas yeah. I really appreciate this podcast's willingness to take big risks and then just live in the consequences, you never really know what's going to happen (or sometimes, which game they'll be playing) week to week.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

That whole episode was just bananas yeah. I really appreciate this podcast's willingness to take big risks and then just live in the consequences, you never really know what's going to happen (or sometimes, which game they'll be playing) week to week.

That was the episode where I started just running around, telling people to listen to the cast. After so many other Actual Plays seem to not want to take chances with their settings, it was incredible to see them willing to just vaporize what they had built up for the sake of laughs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

The ending of the last episode killed me. First with Anthony's sudden realization of how absurdly broken D&D magic is and how it wrecks even basic scenarios, then the brilliant outsmarting the DM move blows up in Freddie's face by trying to be too clever.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Started listening to this show because of this thread. I got to the UFC stuff in episode 10 and this show is utterly ridiculous and all the better for it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Dragonatrix posted:

Started listening to this show because of this thread. I got to the UFC stuff in episode 10 and this show is utterly ridiculous and all the better for it.

Oh my god you're about to meet Paeden :neckbeard:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

Oh my god you're about to meet Paeden :neckbeard:

Yeah, it's so weird to imagine my life before Paeden.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I love this podcast, still a bit sad we didnt get to experience Entourage in hell (though fingers crossed they do it one day)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Scam Likely is great. Paeden is great. Ron is great.

Hell, everyone is great.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Also worth noting that there's a stinger at the end of every episode. Most are just good jokes, but there are some that shouldn't be missed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve listened to seven episodes. I can see why Beth/Ron is a favorite. Every one of her lines is like a killshot.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve listened to seven episodes. I can see why Beth/Ron is a favorite. Every one of her lines is like a killshot.

She even does so in the ads. "I'm doing a podcast hoping to get a new mattress" is an amazing story throughout the podcast.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

seaborgium posted:

She even does so in the ads. "I'm doing a podcast hoping to get a new mattress" is an amazing story throughout the podcast.

Well poo poo, never thought I’d miss out on a storyline by being a ~*Patreon Subscriber*~

I’m not sad about it though because I can only highly recommend it. Some of the extra one shots and bonus episodes they put out is legit their best and funniest content. Highlights include In The Mountains of Dadness, Pokémon Go To the Polls, the crossover with the Hey Riddle Riddle cast, and tons more.

Apparently if you pony up the big bucks Anthony will run a canonical campaign with you and other Patrons and let you create a magical item that the Dads magically receive in the main campaign. Now that’s a loving incentive :stare:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

timp posted:

Well poo poo, never thought I’d miss out on a storyline by being a ~*Patreon Subscriber*~

I’m not sad about it though because I can only highly recommend it. Some of the extra one shots and bonus episodes they put out is legit their best and funniest content. Highlights include In The Mountains of Dadness, Pokémon Go To the Polls, the crossover with the Hey Riddle Riddle cast, and tons more.

Apparently if you pony up the big bucks Anthony will run a canonical campaign with you and other Patrons and let you create a magical item that the Dads magically receive in the main campaign. Now that’s a loving incentive :stare:

It's not much, it's just that her complaining about not having a mattress and trying to get one from Caspar does pay off a ways in.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

You kind of just made me realize that they may not have thought the dynamic ads all the way through lately.

EDIT: Flipped on a random episode while cleaning today and forgot about Geralt of Trivia.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 9, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Guess I should have posted the schedule, but new episodes come every two weeks, and Episode 51 was yesterday:

https://www.dungeonsanddaddies.com/episodes/ep51

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Elizabeth Warden was an actual loving spit take from me in the latest episode.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

thecluckmeme posted:

Elizabeth Warden was an actual loving spit take from me in the latest episode.

Anthony has NO RIGHT to have that good of an impression

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

timp posted:

Anthony has NO RIGHT to have that good of an impression

Him just casually busting that out gave me whiplash, and then in the after-episode stinger when he utterly fails a Bernie Sanders impression I cackled

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I got about ten episodes in to DADDPOD before I realized "Wait, that Anthony Burch?" I think I was just so accustomed to being reviled by Borderlands' style of humor that I was surprised he was so funny. I'm starting to think that Gearbox was just not able to put the right voice to his humor as there were quite a few creative lines in Borderlands 2 that I think just didn't land.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Pennsylvanian posted:

I got about ten episodes in to DADDPOD before I realized "Wait, that Anthony Burch?" I think I was just so accustomed to being reviled by Borderlands' style of humor that I was surprised he was so funny. I'm starting to think that Gearbox was just not able to put the right voice to his humor as there were quite a few creative lines in Borderlands 2 that I think just didn't land.

It's a controversial opinion, but I've always liked the writing in Borderlands 2 - even if the humor isn't for everyone, it totally landed for me front-to-back. At the same time I found BL3's writing to be so uniquely tedious and awful that I had to look up what changed between the two games. And that's when I learned that BL2 was written by the guy that does the dad podcast I like :aaa:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

It's a controversial opinion, but I've always liked the writing in Borderlands 2 - even if the humor isn't for everyone, it totally landed for me front-to-back. At the same time I found BL3's writing to be so uniquely tedious and awful that I had to look up what changed between the two games. And that's when I learned that BL2 was written by the guy that does the dad podcast I like :aaa:

Holy poo poo, I did not know this either

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

BL2 was definitely the best-written for me, especially the Tina DLC. When I went back to 2, I definitely heard Anthony's voice in quite a few of the better jokes. I just think that it was maybe the voice direction for certain characters that let some of the writing down. Then Anthony left and we got Borderlands 3, which was just insufferable.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I listened to the latest Talking Dads and apparently Anthony does NOT want to talk about Borderlands 2. Jimmy starts to say something that he likes about the game and Anthony's headset was immediately off. :monocle:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I can't imagine working at Gearbox was a great experience after everything we know, now.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 30, 2021

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

New episode!

"Who's this chode?!?!"
"It's me - Ron :)"

Without missing a beat, just perfect

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

DoombatINC posted:

New episode!

"Who's this chode?!?!"
"It's me - Ron :)"

Without missing a beat, just perfect

Aha was so good

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I was starting to lose it when the FF6 music started kicking in.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I listened to the first episode of this in early February and it hooked me entirely. Since then I've been pretty much binge-listening and just got to the episode where they all draw from the deck of many things. Everything to do with Well Actually and all of Glenn's draws had me shrieking with laughter.

Podcast very good.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I want them to be this punch drunk all the time, because I cried laughing at least three times this past episode

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Deck Picks was the episode where I started recommending the podcast to everyone because it was around the same time that all of the Actual Plays I was listening to were becoming railroady and overly full of themselves when it came to their storytelling prowess. It was great to listen to an AP where they were willing to nuke their universe to squeeze out as many laughs as possible. The "Why didn't you kill Hitler?" exchange was incredible.

Also love Beth referencing the fact that Jimmy was in the live-action Mulan.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pennsylvanian posted:

Deck Picks was the episode where I started recommending the podcast to everyone because it was around the same time that all of the Actual Plays I was listening to were becoming railroady and overly full of themselves when it came to their storytelling prowess. It was great to listen to an AP where they were willing to nuke their universe to squeeze out as many laughs as possible. The "Why didn't you kill Hitler?" exchange was incredible.

Also love Beth referencing the fact that Jimmy was in the live-action Mulan.
Adventuring Party's interview with Griffin McElroy touched on this, but there's always this amazing transformation with first-time roleplaying groups from "None of us are taking this seriously" to "We've found a joke that's personified in an NPC that we all think is Real Fuckin Funny" to "OH NO that joke NPC that I've grown attached to died and now I feel legitimately sad", and that that's a dynamic that's really easy to capture with first-time roleplayers and really difficult to capture with seasoned veterans.

Dungeons and Daddies has that first part down cold.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Episode 53 is out:

https://www.dungeonsanddaddies.com/episodes/ep53

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Omg Beth's voice