Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Elizabeth Warden was an actual loving spit take from me in the latest episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

timp posted:

Anthony has NO RIGHT to have that good of an impression

Him just casually busting that out gave me whiplash, and then in the after-episode stinger when he utterly fails a Bernie Sanders impression I cackled

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

It's a controversial opinion, but I've always liked the writing in Borderlands 2 - even if the humor isn't for everyone, it totally landed for me front-to-back. At the same time I found BL3's writing to be so uniquely tedious and awful that I had to look up what changed between the two games. And that's when I learned that BL2 was written by the guy that does the dad podcast I like :aaa:

Holy poo poo, I did not know this either

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I listened to the latest Talking Dads and apparently Anthony does NOT want to talk about Borderlands 2. Jimmy starts to say something that he likes about the game and Anthony's headset was immediately off. :monocle:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy poo poo I cannot believe they pulled a Gandalf

I loving love this podcast

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Her just struggling through the intro was good enough on its own. That and having an S in Invisalign had me giggling

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The loving whiplash in this episode makes Anthony and Ashly's sniping at each other look tame, I am loving it

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think the swap was probably influenced by the talking dads episode, because it was perfect. I think the second swap was probably the original rotation, and now Beth holds the keys to loving incinerate the whole podcast with a single thought.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jeremor posted:

If you aren't already, please give these people 5 bucks a month.

Cause, gently caress man

Talking Dad alone is worth it. Other podcasts I listen to have the same $5/month access to the Podcasters discussing the previous episode, but Talking Dad gives a lot of clarity into chaotic episodes while also being funnier than episodes themselves. If you like the pre-episode dad fact banter, it's basically a 45 minute episode of that. :discourse:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This podcast keeps slapping me in the face with how I already knew about the people involved without realizing who they are. It took until episode 55 for me to realize that Ashly is Ash the voice actress, and from that realizing I already knew who Anthony Burch was because I watched all of Hey Ash Whatcha Playing years ago

How many more episodes do I have to listen to before I found out I already knew who Beth was because of a completely different popular YouTube channel from 2013

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Snowy posted:

What’s the YouTube channel? She’s great. The only one of them I’ve heard of is Freddy and that’s only because of the Johnny Five Aces art.

Sorry, that was a rhetorical question about finding out Beth was already internet famous before, not me saying I know a YouTube channel.

...but then I started looking into where I have seen some of the cast before, and apparently she IS in Hey Ash Whatcha Playing according to their website. I'm going to have to rewatch some of those videos, and I hope they hold up over the years. :ohdear:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

What are some must listen to Talking Dad episodes? I mean I'm sure they're all solid but are there any ones that are especially fun to start with?

I've been listening since Jimmy was on the podcast and they've all been amazing. Beth gets to send off each episode and it's always great.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yep, it's Grant.

I can't keep Lark and Sparrow straight either, they're basically just one giant combined kid in my head. I think it'll be easier to differentiate between them now after the deck draw though.

Sparrow is the one that Henry had a breakthrough with and is still a violent sociopath, but much more optimistic and responsive to Henry's attempts at parenting. Lark didn't have that breakthrough and almost died during the pyramid incident separated from Henry, and has a seed of resentment toward Henry/unresponsiveness to his parenting that Anthony has used as a jumping off point for the whole Grudge thing.

Either that or I have it exactly backwards and Anthony is really having one brother get character development for some reason but I'm not going to go double check old episodes while I'm at work

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Y'all when Anthony asked for Glenn's HP and he said like 92 I was sure he was dead. Wouldn't have even been mad, totally worth it.

The second he asked the question I knew what was happening and my eyes went wide.

But yes, Freddie is a loving legend and it would have been completely worth it

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you didn't listen to the post-outtro extra bit this week, you NEED to

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I don't usually cry at d&d podcasts (a strange sentence to type, but the opportunity has come up several times now in my life so I know how I react) but you usually don't hear the DM breaking at their own story; that caught me off guard and got me a little misty eyed. And of course anything dog-related is just a sucker punch, feelingswise (at least he didn't kill it)

The second that Rogue bit someone, I thought for-sure that Willie was going to be taking them straight to the vet to get Rogue put down. I'm glad that Anthony didn't go down that route, I think he and Beth hit that deep moment of sadness without having to go all-in on the despair of losing a pet, there was still some hope. I also think it would be awesome if somewhere down the line, somebody dad-facts up them visiting a relative and seeing they had a new dog with a weird name that gets along very well with their kids.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Snowy posted:

Wooohoooo I finally caught up with all the episodes and talking dads! Now what the hell do I do with my life? I need to wait to hear talking dads now? gently caress!

At least I’m safe reading the thread finally.

Glass Cannon Podcast has almost 300 episodes, but you are listening to 5 dudes in their 40s from New York, so it's a little more bro-ish, although Matthew is usually keeping them in check. The DM can be a bit much in antagonizing the players, but I fully believe he is fudging numbers behind the scenes to only be a LITTLE brutal. Characters do die, but they're all good at weaving a narrative that has new character introductions make sense.

I listened to their Starfinder campaign a bit, but their DM does cross the line of antagonizing their new player for me

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Wh at the fukc is happening :psyduck:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah, this peaked with Ron getting his anchor, and the few episodes inbetween of them "preparing" for the end fight felt a lot like TAZ Balance's last arc, but done in fastforward, where they tried to do a lot of character building on a beach to establish why we give a poo poo about their character arc and how they care about their sons, because they regularly just drop them off at daycare and then make dick jokes for an hour. Then they tried to have the epic final battle, and what happened was: It's the final battle, you can amass a bunch of resources to fight that battle, but then the enemy is going to do the same... except none of the people involved even knew how their characters worked for 80% of the show, let alone the rest of the mechanics. I could see many, many handwaves that Anthony did to make it so they could reach the finish line between Darrel's Primer time travel bit, Glenn technically being back along with Jodi to take aggro, and the wives suddenly appearing as backup because without them, this was absolutely going to be a Barry TPK. I think it was selective, and some stuff did happen naturally because good rolls make good story, but there were some things that just wouldn't fly if they were going by the numbers, and they were all either exceptionally lucky to have those moments happen from Anthony's side of the DM screen, or he fudged the numbers/ignored mechanics that could absolutely kill and ruin the entire ending

That being said, there is a season 2 hook after the excellent credits that has fully reinvested me into the campaign, and I hope that much like Ron's pants, Anthony is incapable of ever wearing a garment that would have a cinch around his wrist in the future. Just no gloves at all, gloves already off. Beth sorta knows how sneak attack works now, get her that gunslinger/rogue combo that lets her shoot and hide on the same turn so she can break that poo poo in half

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy gently caress, they come out the gate strong with Season 2. I love all of their characters but especially Freddie's, especially with his little twist on the stereotype he and Anthony have decided on.

GO TEENS!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Will needs to shut up a bit more, I get he's playing a nervous character but when presented with "this is your destiny, to save your parents using Cool poo poo and it is only possible for you to do it" having your character IMMEDIATELY talk over everybody, extensively, to say "we need to call sheriff johnson!" sucks a lot.

Hopefully it's just an episode 1 thing, or he lets up a bit on the flight risk that is his character. I remember similarly disliking Darrel in ep 1 of season 1, but he carved out a solid character with some time.

Scary Terry rules, Taylor rules, Normal rules

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I completely messed up and said Will and not Matt, whoops

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

i can't believe dungeons and daddies got their asses kicked by the real life boss baby

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pyroi posted:

loving elevators, man.

This was a masterclass example of Freddie piling on a joke and then exploiting the hell out of it in an interesting way. I'm so excited to see what horseshit they can pull. I think there's been at least two or three moments of either Anthony or one of the teens, in this episode alone, where somebody made a joke that ended with "Nope! That's Canon now!" and I love it so much.

The loving mascot :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Valentin posted:

as with early Darryl, I get that Matt's character is intentionally a drag, but that doesn't make him much less of a drag. Would've thought he'd get bored of playing a character who hero worships their dad, too. Love everyone else's stuff though.

Cannot wait to see the full form of the unplayable fantasy heartbreaker Anthony has presumably turned 5E into. "No attack rolls" was a hell of a sneak preview.

That and an entire compound of a gacha machine. With a character that's already an early hook, gone to gently caress off.

I also didn't make it to the end of the episode until today and holy gently caress, the two big horror monsters he has introduced so far are The Library-level monstrosities. It's like he took all the times they said "oh GOD" and said "that's season 2, baybeeeee"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I feel like he's really leaning into how fun the chaos of the Deck of Many Things was for season 1 too. Only one episode in and we've discovered some very chaotic items, I'm interested to see how all that shakes out over the season.

I think the Chaos is the reason. Attacks can't miss, because that's the most boring part of a round of D&D, and also that's the theme of this campaign. There's going to be four people with figurative loaded guns over time, with creatures that could exist depending on a dice roll. This is the breeding ground of SCAM LIKELY!!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy poo poo this is a great talking teen

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The natural escalation from Vice Principal Pepperoni Tony to making the popular rude girl his daughter with a pizza-themed name loving slayed me this week.

I love how much Anthony is a "this your bed, you made it, now lie in it you loving clown" kind of DM. He was already 100% for it in season 1, but everybody seems to be more confident in doing stupid poo poo that they're getting locked into, like spending a bunch of cash on the whale just to make jokes when they could have more toys to play with.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

yeah but what's up with the keys or whatever they were talking about

Borderlands storyline revolves around finding a Vault Key that opens a big, ominous Vault door that contains treasure and the resolution to the main story. The keys are usually non-conventional and involve some bullshit magic powers to get it working.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Calexio posted:

Anthony worked specifically on Borderlands 2, I think, which had chests in-game with mid-level rarity weapons inside them. These were opened with golden keys which didn't actually drop in-game. You could only get them from pre-ordering, signing up to some service, or grabbing codes from giveaways on the developer's social media. I think people were pretty pissed off about it at the time. Nothing that directly involved Anthony, but I'm guessing that's also part of the joke. I could be completely wrong though!

Anyway, this season has started ridiculously strong. Just near-constant chaos and nonsense.

I completely forgot about that, that just makes the whole dungeon concept even funnier. Anthony has spun together a grand web of garden rakes to kickflip onto at any given time

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Elyse Willems is on as a guest this week! She is hilarious, I'm so happy to see this crossover

E: Okay, this episode has by far the funniest joke in the history of the show. A few minutes into conversation with Elyse's character: "Can't you tell what's OBVIOUSLY wrong with me just by looking at my face?!" Matt: "All three guys look at her face for the first time."

Anthony started scolding him, Freddie is already losing his poo poo, Matt immediately apologizes

E2: nevermind, i forgot how unhinged Elyse is. She immediately tops it.

bawk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 8, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Elyse isn't even there and is still stealing the show. what a pro

Seriously, she went right back into character and in a few texts (or lack thereov) I was loving dying

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What would the best class for a super popular horse girl be? I'm leaning towards druid.

Gunslinger

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been enjoying the pacing and everything, but of the two actual play podcasts I listen to, the other is super-mechanical pathfinder. I've tried others but dungeons and daddies is a nice contrast to arguing for five minutes about casting dispel magic

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Vinny Possum posted:

what podcast is this, for a friend.

The Glass Cannon Podcast, they have a 7 year long Giantslayer campaign that's actually reaching the finale on Tuesday. It's a very east-coast bro kind of vibe though. Very rule-centric, but when they hash out the rules and determine what can and can't be done, you get to see them absolutely hoodwink the DM and vice versa.

sexpig by night posted:

I think Glass Cannon, they just had a really good finale to Giant Slayer but they're a lot more crunchy and there was indeed a very hilariously typical of D&D players like five minute debate (not really an argument) about which spell to use a dispell on.

They've also argued in the past about what you can and cannot use dispel magic on, not just whether they should use it on a magic item's effect or on a spell buffing the caster. I remember it because the fact that they argued about dispel magic again was so funny to me that I had to stop listening for a short bit of time

bawk fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I love Beth discovering, and accepting, the "I don't care that it's an AOE, I cast fireball" mindset.