Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

(all the more bizarre elements are strictly metaphorical)

the only thing they really have in common is the idea of retreating into delusion to escape painful reality

This is another reason the ending really didn't do it for me. It was obvious from the outset that headspace wasn't an actual literal place but rather a mental construct, and so as I learned more about the real world I kept looking for ways that things in headspace would hint towards exactly what happened with Mari. Was Sweetheart supposed to analogous to a bad side of Mari in the real world and what did she do in real life that matched up with what she did in headspace? Is there a deeper meaning to the fact that there are variants of cute bunny enemies in every area and there's a bunny killing sidequest that Mari doesn't approve of? I was really looking forward to seeing what kind of weird dream logic they would use to tie everything together to the central mystery in the game and then lol naw none of that actually matters or has anything to do with Mari you just pushed her and she died. The long scary staircases in your headspace home ended up being relevant but pretty much everything else was just stuff happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

garfield hentai posted:

This is another reason the ending really didn't do it for me. It was obvious from the outset that headspace wasn't an actual literal place but rather a mental construct, and so as I learned more about the real world I kept looking for ways that things in headspace would hint towards exactly what happened with Mari. Was Sweetheart supposed to analogous to a bad side of Mari in the real world and what did she do in real life that matched up with what she did in headspace? Is there a deeper meaning to the fact that there are variants of cute bunny enemies in every area and there's a bunny killing sidequest that Mari doesn't approve of? I was really looking forward to seeing what kind of weird dream logic they would use to tie everything together to the central mystery in the game and then lol naw none of that actually matters or has anything to do with Mari you just pushed her and she died. The long scary staircases in your headspace home ended up being relevant but pretty much everything else was just stuff happening.

yeah, Headspace is pure escapism meant to cover up the sea of trauma that is Black Space, which means you don't really get into spooky imaginary metaphor-land until the game's final act. the only neat thing about Headspace is how unsubtle Omori becomes about using it to distract Sunny as the game goes on. "gently caress it, nothing else is working, let's just make everyone go work for a shark man overnight. and there's a whale! where's sweetheart? throw sweetheart into what i said!"

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

garfield hentai posted:

Everything related to the trauma with Mari isn't in headspace because it isn't something that Sunny wants to think about. It specifically exists to cover up all the memories about the game's central mystery. That's like, the whole point. Sunny is escaping into headspace as Omori to attempt to get away from his immense guilt and self-loathing over having killed Mari. Including stuff about her death beyond the intrusive thoughts would just be weird and defeat the purpose of what they were going for with headspace.

Mari's death being as simple as "Her and Sunny got into an argument. Then Sunny pushed her down the stairs, killing her on accident." is a really good choice too. He didn't mean to kill her, and he isn't some sort of psycho or anything, he was just an already depressed and withdrawn kid who hosed up really really bad and has had to live with it alone for the past four years.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
If nothing else, everything in Headspace is at least a form of oblique characterization, since it's all part of Sunny's mind. The locations all have things in common. woods, the moon, a junkyard, a desert, a haunted forest, a beach, caverns--these are all desolate and/or mazelike locales. The big places that are social, like Sweetheart's Castle or Last Resort, are hostile and you are an outsider. There are lots of liminal spaces like train stops and elevators and highway toll gates. The only place that Omori feels safe in is his childhood playground, which is explicitly modeled after his real life playground. So there's this real feeling of alienation, being lost, and feeling caught between moments just in the locales.

Then you have some of the recurring imagery, like bunnies being enemies (soft, fluffy, vulnerable?). Both tofu and steak show up more than once in the game, which I think is fairly loaded imagery (the harmless goober Sprout Moles like tofu, while Omori fights with a steak knife). Omori has an affinity for cutting and self-harm, and in dream logic that turns into Bread Slice, where if you defeat an enemy you get a piece of bread--while Toast is the stand-in for being dead in battle.

I don't think I'd necessarily want some kind of roman a clef where every single thing in the dream world tidily aligns with something in his real life, but I do generally agree that sometimes it feels a little bit too much like distraction. But at the same time I don't think everything, or even most things, in Headspace are random or meaningless.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

You should keep in mind that so long as someone emotionally connects with a story, an author can scatter around almost arbitrary imagery and the audience will do the work of ascribing it meaning. A lot of stuff seems to have been rearranged or repurposed during the game's long development.

As evidence, take a look at one of the surviving pre-kickstarter OMORI comics. This seems to have been from before the plot as we know it was really conceived. Note that a lot of imagery we're familiar with was already present. All of that stuff was re-contextualized for the game; It wasn't imagined up specifically to support the themes as we know them. Some of that stuff becomes meaningful, some of it is there just because. There is a banana on the ground in the game's playground. Why? Because there was a banana on the ground in that comic.

As a more specific example, the game had a backer-only demo released in 2018. It contains the first few levels of Headspace, but with a substantial number of differences. For instance, in both versions, Basil's house is a shoe. In the demo though, Basil's grandmother is there, and asks you to go look for him. She's the "old lady who lives in a shoe". At some point they must have decided to remove the grandmother, and now Basil's house is a shoe just because. I'd recommend anyone who's interested to look up the demo gameplay on youtube. There's a good amount that's the same, and a surprising amount that's changed.

There certainly are things that parallel the real world in Headspace, but I'm fairly sure that most of it is there just because the devs thought it was cute or funny at some point.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I don't think there's some grand unifying idea connecting ghosts with hats to centipedes to scarecrows. But I do think that an artist has to go out of their way to put things into a work, so that the work always has a limited world of stuff that exists in it. And that means that those things will kind of connect and reverberate with one another because they're all part of a limited palette of symbols.

On another note, I got a lil keychain friend before it sold out

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I doubt it will happen since omocat runs their own store but I'd love a collab with Fangamer so we could get a more variety of merch.

e:and a random aside Is there anything special going on with the Mirrors around the map? I expected something to go on with those besides the obvious symbolism or whatever but it never did other than I guess one specific scene. But since they're all over the place I wasn't sure if I missed something.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So would you all recommend this game?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

O-YA-SUMIIII
O-YA-SUMIIII
CLOOOOSE YOUR EYES AND YOU'LL LEAVE THIS DREEEEAAAAAM

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It is one of the best games I've played in recent memory.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

100%, yes.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

All it costs is your love

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Absolutely yes, unless you're someone who can't stand rpgs.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

All it costs is your love

Also $20

But very much worth it

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I doubt it will happen since omocat runs their own store but I'd love a collab with Fangamer so we could get a more variety of merch.

e:and a random aside Is there anything special going on with the Mirrors around the map? I expected something to go on with those besides the obvious symbolism or whatever but it never did other than I guess one specific scene. But since they're all over the place I wasn't sure if I missed something.

Try using the one in Otherworld about 50 times in a row or so.

Also two things in Black Space.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 7, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It is a fantastic, unique JRPG, with a lovely artstyle, and a pretty powerful, resonant message and theme at the end of it all. I would highly recommend it, but with the caveat that some of those themes it deals with are really heavy, so it might not be something everyone is comfortable with experiencing, especially in a bad mindset.

CW: Depression, anxiety, self loathing, guilt, ptsd, suicide

Nitrorad did a great video explaining the history behind omori, the mechanics and unique features of the game, and then diving into the minor story details, and then the major story details, followed by overall thoughts about the game. I reccomend going into the game mostly cold, but the first couple of parts of this video should help sell you on it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pavlov posted:

You should keep in mind that so long as someone emotionally connects with a story, an author can scatter around almost arbitrary imagery and the audience will do the work of ascribing it meaning. A lot of stuff seems to have been rearranged or repurposed during the game's long development.

As evidence, take a look at one of the surviving pre-kickstarter OMORI comics. This seems to have been from before the plot as we know it was really conceived. Note that a lot of imagery we're familiar with was already present. All of that stuff was re-contextualized for the game; It wasn't imagined up specifically to support the themes as we know them. Some of that stuff becomes meaningful, some of it is there just because. There is a banana on the ground in the game's playground. Why? Because there was a banana on the ground in that comic.

As a more specific example, the game had a backer-only demo released in 2018. It contains the first few levels of Headspace, but with a substantial number of differences. For instance, in both versions, Basil's house is a shoe. In the demo though, Basil's grandmother is there, and asks you to go look for him. She's the "old lady who lives in a shoe". At some point they must have decided to remove the grandmother, and now Basil's house is a shoe just because. I'd recommend anyone who's interested to look up the demo gameplay on youtube. There's a good amount that's the same, and a surprising amount that's changed.

There certainly are things that parallel the real world in Headspace, but I'm fairly sure that most of it is there just because the devs thought it was cute or funny at some point.

Death of the author is great and all, but I definitely think that's where the long development time hurt the most. In a game that takes place spoiler I guess; so much in somebody's head, though not entirely it's definitely a bad thing if there's a lot of meaningless symbolism, imo. Sure not everything everyone thinks about is part of some deep dark trauma, but even stuff like Captain Spaceboy is good because it has some kind of meaning to Sunny

Sweetheart is pretty obviously the candy store lady, though

Julias posted:

It is a fantastic, unique JRPG, with a lovely artstyle, and a pretty powerful, resonant message and theme at the end of it all. I would highly recommend it, but with the caveat that some of those themes it deals with are really heavy, so it might not be something everyone is comfortable with experiencing, especially in a bad mindset.

CW: Depression, anxiety, self loathing, guilt, ptsd, suicide

Nitrorad did a great video explaining the history behind omori, the mechanics and unique features of the game, and then diving into the minor story details, and then the major story details, followed by overall thoughts about the game. I reccomend going into the game mostly cold, but the first couple of parts of this video should help sell you on it.

This thread is only 3 pages long!!! :saddowns:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 8, 2021

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sweetheart has a pretty straightforward explanation actually: She's a toy, possibly with the personality of the candy store lady, but the personality similarity could be coincidence. Sunny can put her away as part of his toys in the alternative route. Captain Spaceboy is also one of his toys.

Those two characters and their whole relationship is exactly like how kids would make the army guy and Barbie kiss.

That's it. That's the explanation for why those two are paired up.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 8, 2021

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Hmm were there specific things that people wanted explained more? I feel like I'd have more fun speculating about the Jawsum subplot being about HERO and MARI getting older and starting to work a bit and leaving Sunny behind. I mean, everyone literally leaves OMORI behind there except for Mari and or Kel for a bit. Or the black space church being a metaphor for the actual funeral, where Sunny chooses to either save Basil there, or deny him and drat him to loneliness.

I feel like (are we actually spoilering it's a dream?) logic means it loses some value if it's just point blank said out loud. I don't know, it's kind of weird to think that everything in a dream is a direct correllation to your true self or consciousness.The game has a lot of small things like the half remembered other kids of the town still being actual people in headspace. Pet rocks being a game you can play. But there is also a large amount of things that aren't really explained directly at all, like what is it about coral that makes it able to talk to you about the plot? Daddy long legs? What was with the barn and the large mirror/window? Or the library or the lighthouse? Are these just direct metaphors or what? Abbi is only known to be something primal from a previous adventure in headspace without meta knowledge. Are the slime girls representing something?

I don't know, maybe my perspective is just a bit different on this, I feel most things in the game say something about Sunny's headspace. Just because I don't get it doesn't mean it's not there for someone else. Also something something Lynchian something something Red Room something something White Space.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I think the thing that first hooked me on this game is the first Sunny segment, which portrayed creeping downstairs in the middle of the night when your parents are asleep more accurately than anything else ever has. Creepy

(main route) I think it's ultimately to the game's benefit that the events in the dream world are only loosely coupled with Sunny's life. As has been pointed out by other posters, headspace exists to be a distraction, and it fills that role both narratively as a nonsense story for Sunny to occupy himself with, and metanarratively as a nonsense story for you the player to occupy yourself with because you're stressed out about what's probably coming in the next real world segment.

There's another rpgmaker game about a kid in a dream world that i've been thinking about in relation to Omori a lot lately, called Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass. JatPM takes a much more strict approach to relating everything in its dream world to events or places or people in Jimmy's life, but it makes more sense to do so in that game because Jimmy isn't repressed in the way Sunny is. It's also interesting to compare the intrusive thoughts of Jimmy and Sunny: the pulsating mass in JatPM tends to be abrupt, gruesome, and violent, whereas Omori's subconscious thoughts only momentarily appear in places that tie too closely to his repressed memories. I really appreciated the restraint of Omori's story in that regard. There isn't any blood in Omori for the first two thirds of the game (even when you slice someone in the park), so when it starts showing up in the black space segments it hits a lot harder.

Weird BIAS posted:

Hmm were there specific things that people wanted explained more? I feel like I'd have more fun speculating about the Jawsum subplot being about HERO and MARI getting older and starting to work a bit and leaving Sunny behind. I mean, everyone literally leaves OMORI behind there except for Mari and or Kel for a bit. Or the black space church being a metaphor for the actual funeral, where Sunny chooses to either save Basil there, or deny him and drat him to loneliness.

Not really speculation, but I think it's grimly funny that (lost resort) Mari disappears into the window at the start of day three, and then you immediately run into her picnic at Lost Resort, and she keeps showing up in almost every room and in the elevator. Omori really wanted to blank out the scene at the pier so much that he copy pasted her a hundred times in the following area

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWXkwdbHGw

PS I agree that the combat is fairly simple, but the music in all the longer fights is so good I didn't mind at all

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Every track is a bop.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
omori's soundtrack is good but aside from That One Song (You Know the One I Mean) none of it really stood out for me, compared to the sloppy chaos of Jimmy & the Pulsating Mass or the spiderweb of leitmotifs you'd get from Toby Fox

actually toby's guest track is one of the few that really stuck in my head despite not being present outside of the jukebox and sweetheart's theater

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

omori's soundtrack is good but aside from That One Song (You Know the One I Mean) none of it really stood out for me, compared to the sloppy chaos of Jimmy & the Pulsating Mass or the spiderweb of leitmotifs you'd get from Toby Fox

actually toby's guest track is one of the few that really stuck in my head despite not being present outside of the jukebox and sweetheart's theater

Listing of songs

Space ex boyfriend fight
Otherworld battle music
Snowy battle music
Jawsum boss theme
Pluto boss themes
Deeper well theme
Mermaid witches boss theme
Omori boss theme
Duet

All of those I've listened to quite a bit. Last one I like a lot but I dont listen to it because it gets to me too much.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Duet, Omori, and It Means Everything are probably my top 3 outside of the obvious My Time and they get me every time

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like the whole ost alot.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
By Your Side has crept its way into my soul. the faded piano sound it uses fits so well

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
hearing By Your Side all the time is easily the hardest part about playing the alternate route

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
since there are two routes, which one should be done for the first playthrough?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think the added context from the normal route would enhance alot of the weird extra poo poo you see in the bad route.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I cant imagine playing the alternate route first... granted, I still haven't even played it yet.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
definitely open the door (normal route)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Saagonsa posted:

Also $20

But very much worth it

Currently only $16 over the weekend!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got OMORI! I'm only in the prologue but it's already been interesting so far. And a little creepy.... So, how much grinding is in this game? If I'm just going through each area, fighting enemies as I see them but not really trying to grind levels or anything, am I going to be woefully underpowered?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The combat only gets easier and faster as you progress. As long as you don't run from all the battles you'll be fine.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I exited out of the photo album at the start accidentally, do I get a chance to look at it again?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I exited out of the photo album at the start accidentally, do I get a chance to look at it again?

Yes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The combat only gets easier and faster as you progress. As long as you don't run from all the battles you'll be fine.

adding on to this, there's also an optional zone that's custom-made for gaining ludicrous amounts of EXP in a very short time, so if you're ever lagging behind a bit you can spend half an hour there

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The game also throws a bazillion items and healing things at you, way more than you probably will use, so don't forget about those as well!

It's me, I'm the guy with like 10+ ramen at the end of the game cause I mostly used Hero for healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I think the worst thing for my attempt to get all achievements has been the foe facts one. I accidentally saved after dropping the anvil on king carnivore in sprout mole village while doing my first hikikomori route. Now if I want all foe facts I’ll have to do another hikikomori route and remember to leave that alone.

Normal route stuff doesn’t take too long at least and it’s nice to do the heartwarming things in either route.

I did (hikikomori route) the lost library something refights. Massage and a paper bag on Hero saves the day. Also checked out the Aubrey black space 2 scene accessible by using the universal remote on tv girls tv. Very weird. Also tag got replaced by stab so I used it to wake up to something above me before going back to sleep and white space. Can’t wait to use the laptop and go into Yume Nikki land.