Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
still really early in this. the headbutt animation is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

In response to the now-open route discussion, I would actually argue that it is better for the overall story experience to never open the door. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the developer should not have given you the option to do it until an NG+.

That's what me and my GF did, and it left a significantly longer amount of time where there was a mystery because it didn't quite click what was going on exactly. We didn't even open the door at the first night, so we had to figure out Mari was dead through guessing and context clues in Headspace and Black Space, and not immediately via the jumpscares. It also leaves the lingering impression that it was a suicide Sunny felt guilty about.

So, if you do hikkomori first, there's a very good chance that when you do normal route the putting together of the Black Photo Album is even bigger. I distinctly remember that when my GF and I saw that first rope photo she went "OH HELL NO" as it finally clicked what Basil and Sunny had done and everything we saw across two playthroughs fell into place, including a bunch of Black Space 2.

Plus, it made the Real World sections in the normal route so much nicer. Very "oh wow there's more stuff!"

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 15, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/_omocat/status/1361232001626370053?s=20

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

DoubleDonut posted:

still really early in this. the headbutt animation is really good

headbutt animation was when I realized the game was something special

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Some good animatics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNP6x7AU3hg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBcTCYRlXnc

And a nice cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nVH8RRwA_Y

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol those were great

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oh bruh I only watered Basil's flowers once in the prologue. I'm in the second chapter, can I still go back and water them?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh bruh I only watered Basil's flowers once in the prologue. I'm in the second chapter, can I still go back and water them?

you can flower them at any point in the dreamworld segments, and more flower wither as game time increases, so there'll be plenty to water by the time you get there again

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 17, 2021

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

re: flowers: I did it 3 times on 2 days only and it worked out.

also speedrun stuff is being discovered

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1363357508371365888?s=20

and spoilers for late game fight:

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1363006595395969027?s=20

Apparently this strat happens with an item glitch, possibly involving rotten milk, that allows things to hit enemies that normally can't.

e:ah well, here is a video with the strat in action

https://www.youtube.com/embed/CA00gZTSbHY

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 21, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Twas a tremendous game that I'm going to be thinking about for a long time.

Only real bummer is not knowing about the flower watering which is small enough that it's probably not worth replaying a 20ish hour game with no NG+ but is still enough of an emotional plot beat that still would be nice to be able to get it in the actual game rather than a youtube clip.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
OMORI is very good! Captain Boyfriend being an analogue for HERO never seems to be mentioned in analysis though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Omori is full of such good av potential, drat

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

OMORI is very good! Captain Boyfriend being an analogue for HERO never seems to be mentioned in analysis though.

Yeah I was trying to think about this a bit. I'm unable to come up with sufficient analogs for Aubrey and Kel. Space Boyfriend does what irl Kel says Hero did to him, Kel says something to try and cheer SB/Hero up and he ends up freaking out on him and needs to be calmed down. Afterwards he's super apologetic and sorry to the party/Kel. Sweetheart herself is a little harder to place as an analog to me because Aubrey doesn't really fit her as much, it kind of is an analogy of the irl plot in general of the first day if we want to take Sweetheart being happy with herself as an analogy for Aubrey being happy with her new friends, plus the whole church fight being a direct parallel. Kel could also be a Sweetheart analogy of being happy to such an extent he blocked out most problems but it does seem a bit weak to me. I also don't know how much stock to put into any analysis of Mr Jawsum, Pluto, the Slime Girls or Humphrey like this. Possibly Pluto because of the obsession of just doing sports and physical activity while ignoring everything going on around him.

I do think the Space Boyfriend/Captain Spaceboy/Captain Ex-Husband to Hero Analogy is a strong one though. Just not sure if there are other similiar ones THAT strong.

Actually one thing I do think may be worth analysing now that I think of it is that the "everyone has gone to work" plot is a thing that happened to Sunny. While redoing the good ending the cast mentioned they all worked jobs to afford to buy the violin so I can imagine that Sunny was feeling left out in the lead up to that Christmas as Hero and Mari were at the Bakery, Kel delivered newspapers and Aubrey sold scount cookies. I think this also explains why Mari was so hurt about the violin, so much effort and care went into them getting it for Sunny. It's kind of sad thinking of Sunny coming up with a plot where he purposely is asking his friends to stop working, like some kind of "if only I could have told them I don't want this" to prevent what happened.

Also Humphrey honestly in retrospect feels a bit like a repeat of the drowning scenes. Humphrey tries to drag everyone down into him and seems to be an analogy for Sunny's guilt over still being alive consuming him.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i just completed the first outdoors segment and i was surprised how long and involved it was (in an extremely good way) does letting sunny go wild affect how things turn out? i panicked after he cut aubrey and didn't let him attack the kids ever again

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

i just completed the first outdoors segment and i was surprised how long and involved it was (in an extremely good way) does letting sunny go wild affect how things turn out? i panicked after he cut aubrey and didn't let him attack the kids ever again

Not really, Kel took the knife away so all he can do is punch.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not really, Kel took the knife away so all he can do is punch.

oh OK i didn't parse that he removed it from his equipment, i probably didn't need to do a Balls Challenge huh

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

oh OK i didn't parse that he removed it from his equipment, i probably didn't need to do a Balls Challenge huh

Honestly Sunny is so weak even if you waste a turn buffing him that using him to heal kel is pretty much the correct way to do those segments anyways.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Weird BIAS posted:

Yeah I was trying to think about this a bit. I'm unable to come up with sufficient analogs for Aubrey and Kel. Space Boyfriend does what irl Kel says Hero did to him, Kel says something to try and cheer SB/Hero up and he ends up freaking out on him and needs to be calmed down. Afterwards he's super apologetic and sorry to the party/Kel. Sweetheart herself is a little harder to place as an analog to me because Aubrey doesn't really fit her as much, it kind of is an analogy of the irl plot in general of the first day if we want to take Sweetheart being happy with herself as an analogy for Aubrey being happy with her new friends, plus the whole church fight being a direct parallel. Kel could also be a Sweetheart analogy of being happy to such an extent he blocked out most problems but it does seem a bit weak to me. I also don't know how much stock to put into any analysis of Mr Jawsum, Pluto, the Slime Girls or Humphrey like this. Possibly Pluto because of the obsession of just doing sports and physical activity while ignoring everything going on around him.

I do think the Space Boyfriend/Captain Spaceboy/Captain Ex-Husband to Hero Analogy is a strong one though. Just not sure if there are other similiar ones THAT strong.

Actually one thing I do think may be worth analysing now that I think of it is that the "everyone has gone to work" plot is a thing that happened to Sunny. While redoing the good ending the cast mentioned they all worked jobs to afford to buy the violin so I can imagine that Sunny was feeling left out in the lead up to that Christmas as Hero and Mari were at the Bakery, Kel delivered newspapers and Aubrey sold scount cookies. I think this also explains why Mari was so hurt about the violin, so much effort and care went into them getting it for Sunny. It's kind of sad thinking of Sunny coming up with a plot where he purposely is asking his friends to stop working, like some kind of "if only I could have told them I don't want this" to prevent what happened.

Also Humphrey honestly in retrospect feels a bit like a repeat of the drowning scenes. Humphrey tries to drag everyone down into him and seems to be an analogy for Sunny's guilt over still being alive consuming him.

If Captain Space Boyfriend is Hero, then that means Mari must be Sweetheart. Don't know what that says about her character though.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

If Captain Space Boyfriend is Hero, then that means Mari must be Sweetheart. Don't know what that says about her character though.

Hmmmm actually the slime girls and the -hearts could be a good companion in that sense. Aspects of Mari kind of reflect the goal of building a perfect Mari through study.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm kinda stuck in Sweetheart's castle. I've fought Sir Maximus I coming from the kitchens and II coming out of her room, but I'm missing whatever I need to do to trigger III(?).

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there are corridors in the lower left and lower right of the castle that have more things to do before you'll be allowed to leave

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm kinda stuck in Sweetheart's castle. I've fought Sir Maximus I coming from the kitchens and II coming out of her room, but I'm missing whatever I need to do to trigger III(?).

Have you gone to the art gallery and library yet?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I did, but I wasn't able to parse I could go up the stairway in the library for some reason.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Well I’ve done it! Got all the achievements in the game.

Now if only I wasn’t afraid of black space 2...

e: Actually one thing that came to mind in my replays is the scene where Sunny stares at the ebony piano in his house in the OMORI tape you can choose when you get a key. Just, oh, black space comes from staring at the piano labelled Omori huh.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 26, 2021

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
How long is this roughly?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

How long is this roughly?

Reaching the main ending was about 20 hours for me taking it easy and trying to find most of the secrets and side quests and so on. That could probably be cut down to 15 or so if you focus exclusively on the main plot? And the alternate route was another 15 or so hours, although only half of that was new content.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I did 2 runs of each route and accounting for leaving it running a bit for a couple hours I ended up with about 100 hours through steam so about 20-25 hours per run. But that was to get all achievements as well so that needed a bit of time management and some repeated work. If you know what you're doing after the first route you could probably get all achievements with only 3 total runs, 2 if you use a guide from the start and don't want to do the first run blind. I just messed up my 2nd run by dropping the anvil on King Carnivore preventing me from getting the Foes Filed achievement. So I'd agree, 20-25 hours is probably accurate for the first run and then 15-20 for subsequent runs depending on how much you want to do that.

braybray
Feb 28, 2021
I picked OMORI up on Christmas Day when it released, and thankfully got to experience cutting down the tree on Christmas day in the Sprout Mole Village .

I think I have purchased and gifted the game a total of five times to friends just to get them to play it. I even got my girlfriend to finish it and it really was something to speak with her in a discord call as she finished it. Every time someone else plays through the ending is just so enjoyable to me. I'm not sure if it's a misery-loves-company feeling or just being able to share thoughts on it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/OMORI_GAME/status/1366297164561850374?s=20

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv2Hmx3XNYY

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont love the music in this game i think its just fine other than a couple very powerful sentimental tracks and a couple clever boss tracks but trouble brewin' is maybe my favourite Bad poo poo Happens Now track across any rpg that ive ever played. something about how quickly it comes on and the tempo of it really resonated

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I feel like there are really powerful battle songs (Bready Steady Go is the first that comes to mind), and like you said the emotional tracks. These have some really good moments and I can't stop playing the title theme on piano lately. Overall though most of the music is much more mood based and less focused on character motifs which kind of makes it stand out less. Atmosphere setting kind of stuff that can really be explored I think in fun ways though.

Oh hey so speaking of exploring the music, 2+ months of this game living rent free in my head has lead to me playing with one of the songs that got stuck in my head because of how simple it is. Mild hikikomori route spoiler it's a picnic basket from Snowglobe Mountain, only available in that route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tewzSoL5BNo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Most of the good music is from the real world anyway. Bargain Bin Boys is comfy.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I think my favorite is still "It Means Everything." It fits the scene so well and really left an impression on me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

omori you piece of poo poo backstabbing construct how could you do this to real fake basil, you sit on a throne of lies

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/_omocat/status/1367997862710108162

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Got to Black Space. I think I'm gonna have to tap out if they expect me to go through that many more rooms of that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You're near the home stretch...Keep going!!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
how do you access the ladder below mari in the sweetheart dungeon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
You get there a little later in the game, just keep going through the castle and you'll find it.