Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
We're not going to have a work from home going forward, we're going to have a work from anywhere*! (you must come into the office when we ask you to, no permanent work from home).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Imagined posted:

My work is "reopening" the office to public visitors and phasing out WFH in June. Are we going to require employees get vaccinations and/or wear masks? Remodeling the office to ensure social distancing? Making any changes to help increase the flow of fresh air and limit recirculation of dirty air? Increasing the frequency and thoroughness of cleaning?

Answer: lol!

My company claims they have re-worked our office spaces to be covid aware or whatever (desks 6 feet apart, limited capacity in meeting rooms, hand sanitizer everywhere, etc.) and they are mandating masks and social distancing whenever we go back, but private companies are not legally allowed to mandate vaccines. I was told that higher-ups asked about this and they can mandate all kinds of safety poo poo but they can't mandate vaccines. I understand that it's out of their control but if they start pushing hard on us all to back without everyone being vaccinated I'm going to leave. I'd even take a job that pays the same if they let me stay home.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 7, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Elephant Ambush posted:

My company claims they have re-worked our office spaces to be covid aware of whatever (desks 6 feet apart, limited capacity in meeting rooms, hand sanitizer everywhere, etc.) and they are mandating masks and social distancing whenever we go back, but private companies are not legally allowed to mandate vaccines. I was told that higher-ups asked about this and they can mandate all kinds of safety poo poo but they can't mandate vaccines. I understand that it's out of their control but if they start pushing hard on us all to back without everyone being vaccinated I'm going to leave. I'd even take a job that pays the same if they let me stay home.

I'm thankful ours at least put an incentive program in place, even if the incentive is minimal for hourly (1 hour of pay per verified shot with the card) and nonexistent for salary (last I checked it was a charity donation or something lmao). Maybe enough to get people to do it.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I work as an auto adjuster, and one of the metrics they track how many calls we've missed. This is fine, as it honestly makes sense you'd want your employees answering their phone.

Except it counts against you when you're already on a call (it doesn't ring) and if you're on lunch (you're not allowed to answer on lunch).

It just seems like a reason to put down employees. I'd really like to move to IT.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Armitag3 posted:

I hate VBA with a passion,

Would you say you take a Dim view of VBA? :v:

Could be worse, could be Perl.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Sardonik posted:

You son of a bitch.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Agoat posted:

I work as an auto adjuster, and one of the metrics they track how many calls we've missed. This is fine, as it honestly makes sense you'd want your employees answering their phone.

Except it counts against you when you're already on a call (it doesn't ring) and if you're on lunch (you're not allowed to answer on lunch).

It just seems like a reason to put down employees. I'd really like to move to IT.

Do you all log in to a queue to take calls or anything? Any company tracking call statistics like that should absolutely be using some sort of Call center software that has log off codes for things like lunch/break and is smart enough to know that if you’re on the phone you’re not missing a call.

That’s really loving stupid and yes, is just a way to make employees look like they’re underperforming

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Sardonik posted:

this is violence

I made an IRC client in VB6 back in '99. The biggest technical hurdle I had was getting CTCP transfers to work, as IP addresses were expressed as unsigned long integers, and VB6 only had SIGNED long integers. I had to build a function that calculated two subsets of digits and then slammed them together into a string. Fun times!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If the rule is evenly applied to everyone (big if) then it should work out the same anyway. And if they want you to keep calls as quick as possible, that's a sort of (terrible) way to encourage that. But yeah, that sucks.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Tetramin posted:

Do you all log in to a queue to take calls or anything? Any company tracking call statistics like that should absolutely be using some sort of Call center software that has log off codes for things like lunch/break and is smart enough to know that if you’re on the phone you’re not missing a call.

That’s really loving stupid and yes, is just a way to make employees look like they’re underperforming

We have phone modes but they don't affect our stats. It's more people dialing me directly (which leads to dumber customers calling 5-6 times instead of leaving of a voicemail) than being in a queue. It's honestly the main reason why I'm looking to make a career shift, haha.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

SubnormalityStairs posted:

this is violence

I made an IRC client in VB6 back in '99. The biggest technical hurdle I had was getting CTCP transfers to work, as IP addresses were expressed as unsigned long integers, and VB6 only had SIGNED long integers. I had to build a function that calculated two subsets of digits and then slammed them together into a string. Fun times!

I forgot all about that, it was a real drag trying to interface to DLL's and stuff. Modern VB is ok, I'm forced to use it right now but I'm not sure why it's even around since it's so much like c# at this point.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Doesn’t it compile (or transpile or whatever) into the same byte code as C# and use the same .NET libraries? I think it’s just a different syntax at this point.

E: Does VB still do that stupid thing where arrays start at 1? Might be useful if you have a bunch of extra VB classic code that you don’t want to make into one big off by one error.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 7, 2021

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

titty_baby_ posted:

At the interview for the job I'm starting, one of the questions was like "how have you handled being in a less then ideal workplace?". I didnt intend to, but I pretty much spilled the beans about all the dysfunctional poo poo from my last job and told them how I tried to keep my head above water while looking for other employment and eventually just put in my two weeks without anything lined up. I expected a negative reaction but they told me "yeah man sometimes all you can do is watch out for yourself, and it sounds like you made the right decision". I felt elated, as everyone else had told me not to quit without a job lined up and that a gap on your resume is bad etc etc

Is it just me or is that a very suspicious interview question? I’d be like “uh, why, is that going to be relevant to my job here?”

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Is it just me or is that a very suspicious interview question? I’d be like “uh, why, is that going to be relevant to my job here?”

It could be lol. I'm not too worried because the job is seasonal, and ill be working alone in the field the majority of the time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Ita a popular behavioural question about resiliency. Passing is responding in a way about how you worked around or through bullshit (every job has some bullshit or they wouldn't need to pay you). Failing is whining about it or not having an answer at all because again you're always going to have some amount of bullshit to deal with and you're not being critical enough if you can't think of any you dealt with.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: Does VB still do that stupid thing where arrays start at 1?

Fortran does this. Ah, memories of number crunching.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
One of my go-to interview questions was to have the candidate describe the craziest/most stressful day at their previous job. Gave me a good idea of what they were able to handle.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Super Waffle posted:

One of my go-to interview questions was to have the candidate describe the craziest/most stressful day at their previous job. Gave me a good idea of what they were able to handle.

That's a good one. Yoink.

I wish past employers had asked: How much sketchy bullshit are you willing to be a party to before notifying the authorities?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

That's a good one. Yoink.

I wish past employers had asked: How much sketchy bullshit are you willing to be a party to before notifying the authorities?

Is the only acceptable answer for the interviewee to get their phone out then and there before asking for clarification as to the category of sketchy bullshit so they contact the right authorities?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Doesn’t it compile (or transpile or whatever) into the same byte code as C# and use the same .NET libraries? I think it’s just a different syntax at this point.

E: Does VB still do that stupid thing where arrays start at 1? Might be useful if you have a bunch of extra VB classic code that you don’t want to make into one big off by one error.

Well, VB and other basic implementations are different from C in that going Dim I(5) actually creates an array 6 elements long whereas C would make it 5 elements long and the array starts from 0. VB would have the array be 0-5, C 0 to 4.

You can set OPTION BASE 1 so that arrays start at 1. I never use it but I think you can dimension arrays like Dim I(5 to 30), not sure though, again, never used it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cthulu Carl posted:

Is the only acceptable answer for the interviewee to get their phone out then and there before asking for clarification as to the category of sketchy bullshit so they contact the right authorities?

Of course not.

Get the evidence first.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

Of course not.

Get the evidence first.

I assumed they meant getting out their phone to record too.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

I assumed they meant getting out their phone to record too.

At this point, I'm willing to accept you should be recording everything to a secure server.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Zarin posted:

I don't know enough about coding to know why I should hate VBA I guess, I'm a computer babby :3: I don't know what that says about the 85% of other computer users out there but welp :v:

I'm doing most of my VBA work in Excel; this task is basically dumping a shitload of data into Excel and then chopping it up into buckets. Before I got here, the process was to query each bit of information one at a time :stonk:

Honestly the VBA environment as a whole isn't that bad for quickly putting something together for tasks like that. The language itself is a mess once you've learned better ones.

I started off in VBA too, if you want to move on to "real" programming I highly recommend the free online Harvard CS50 course.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Super Waffle posted:

And then you hire the one that spins the most obscene tale and ends it with "The Aristocrats!"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
How close is VBA to Microsoft Access? Because in my professional life it's always been some Access database made in 1997 by some old grognard who retired shortly thereafter but whose ancient database is somehow still crucial to day to day operations that's been the bane of my existence.

I remember many times watching techs hunched over my desk cursing as they try to make concurrent installation of the most recent Access AND Access 95 coexist on the same machine without virtualization for reasons.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

VBA is built into Access and all of the other Office products.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I love VBA, mostly because I used it to automate large parts of my job so that I could spend more time at home with my kids.

Edit: and when I’ve got drunk enough at work things to talk about it, I’ve then taught it to people who have the balls to ask me

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pekinduck posted:

Honestly the VBA environment as a whole isn't that bad for quickly putting something together for tasks like that. The language itself is a mess once you've learned better ones.

I started off in VBA too, if you want to move on to "real" programming I highly recommend the free online Harvard CS50 course.

I took some C++ in college in a failed attempt at Electrical Engineering; I'm sure that actually learning a real language could come in kinda handy as an accountant, though. I'll keep it in mind, thanks for the tip!

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

Currently working for a distribution company with 5 sales reps, and with an eye to hire more. We service an entire state (one of the largest) but have one overwhelmed Operations Manager, and a redundant Director of Operations, who seems unconcerned with any of this.

We've had driver/warehouse employees hire on with our competitors, since they provide a competitive wage, and health care- neither of which we provide until after a one yer review.

The newest hire driver, who is also expected to do all of the order-pulling at the warehouse and drive long-haul 4 days per week, and make deliveries, is so green that it's just going to create an entire new job to fix the mistakes. It's a very detail-oriented job, and they refuse to raise the pay for new hires in the driver/warehouse role, to attract better employees and retain them.

I end up delivering product to my accounts half of the time, and this leaves me even less time to catch up on the overwhelming demand for our products, let alone new accounts. It's a vicious cycle, and I hate it.

We also currently have no functioning printer for invoices, but there's no plan to get a new one, since "we're about to go paperless." They've been saying that for 5 months. LOL.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zarin posted:

I took some C++ in college in a failed attempt at Electrical Engineering; I'm sure that actually learning a real language could come in kinda handy as an accountant, though. I'll keep it in mind, thanks for the tip!
Let's be real if you're gonna code anything with an accounting background you're gonna get pigeon holed into a business-oriented language crime against computer science.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
~*Doot doot doot gonna learn some C# to make some handy tools for my day to day*~

A strange man with sacks of cash money: you're an accountant... Who codes? Could we maybe interest you in fixing a COBOL problem for us? *Waves sacks of cash*

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

zedprime posted:

~*Doot doot doot gonna learn some C# to make some handy tools for my day to day*~

A strange man with sacks of cash money: you're an accountant... Who codes? Could we maybe interest you in fixing a COBOL problem for us? *Waves sacks of cash*

"PLEASE COME WORK ON OUR MAINFRAME, PEOPLE CAN'T GET THEIR UNEMPLOYMENT."

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zedprime posted:

Let's be real if you're gonna code anything with an accounting background you're gonna get pigeon holed into a business-oriented language crime against computer science.

Oh yeah, this scans. I was handed the task of reviewing thousands of rows in 100s of column long excel data extracts, learned enough vba from the online tutorials and made a vba script to do the evaluation and was immediately after tasked with building in automations to the VP's excel reports.

Eventually I was able to spin this experience into getting a job in the IT integrations department, and now get to deal with business logic expressed in ginorumous plsql packages, normal sql, boomi, and perl.

Of them, I think I hate plsql the most really, the syntax is just all over the place, though perl is a close second.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Batterypowered7 posted:

"PLEASE COME WORK ON OUR MAINFRAME, PEOPLE CAN'T GET THEIR UNEMPLOYMENT."

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Those old rear end mainframes must cost so much to maintain.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My boss wants our operations to never miss any "bad" events (this is a field where predictions are involved and very low probability events can happen). So he wants us to always communicate this, but doesn't give any direction how. Then when we tell him he's creating an atmosphere of fear, tells us people are being immature.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zarin posted:

I don't know enough about coding to know why I should hate VBA I guess, I'm a computer babby :3: I don't know what that says about the 85% of other computer users out there but welp :v:

I'm doing most of my VBA work in Excel; this task is basically dumping a shitload of data into Excel and then chopping it up into buckets. Before I got here, the process was to query each bit of information one at a time :stonk:

It's this

SkyeAuroline posted:

This is where the resentment for VBA for Excel specifically comes from in my experience - it's "easy to learn" so it's cheap to outsource to someone who will never maintain it, and those flaws WILL come back to haunt you.
e: that's a lot of complaining about the Excel side. The terminal scripting actually isn't bad, it just doesn't really support any memory of any significant amount and the array implementation sucks. Considering it's a 90s emulator to interface with software developed for 70s system, it's exactly what you'd expect. All my issues there are with the actual emulated software resisting the emulation.

And this.

Pekinduck posted:

It's not only that it's a messy language, it's that it (at least once upon a time, I haven't looked for quite a while) also encourages bad decisions that you have to spend time training people out of, rather than being able to train someone as a tabula rasa.

Sardonik posted:

gently caress you.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Zarin posted:

No problem, you'll actually find a lot of it easier and more intuitive than excel/VBA.

Imagined posted:

How close is VBA to Microsoft Access? Because in my professional life it's always been some Access database made in 1997 by some old grognard who retired shortly thereafter but whose ancient database is somehow still crucial to day to day operations that's been the bane of my existence.

I remember many times watching techs hunched over my desk cursing as they try to make concurrent installation of the most recent Access AND Access 95 coexist on the same machine without virtualization for reasons.

Access and all the MS Office products use VBA for user programs. Access is an awful, awful database. You're better off cobbling something together with excel and VBA.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Those old rear end mainframes must cost so much to maintain.

Oh yeah, but the old timers still have PTSD from 1997 when the grognard tried to replace it with Access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

Oh yeah, but the old timers still have PTSD from 1997 when the grognard tried to replace it with Access.

Just do mainframe virtualization or some poo poo. THE CLOUD! * Oohs and Aahs *