Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

nexus6 posted:

Does anyone know what Zscaler is and if it's gonna report that I spend time on dead gay comedy forums during work hours?

We resell this at my company, it’s a cloud based proxy that can be used for content filtering, blocking dodgy links or IPs, and while they’re probably not using it to spy on you, the option is there for them to get reports on what you do on the internet.

It can be used to provide an always-on VPN, but most of our clients just use the SSL VPN provided with their Sophos firewalls and just use Zscaler for security and monitoring.

Unless they’ve blocked this particular dead gay comedy forum you should be fine, the way the admin dashboard is laid out by default makes it more useful for identifying bandwidth hogs.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Barudak posted:

Many companies, especially those in asia, use bonus structures as the standard method of payment.

Hell in Japan and China its extremely common for you to be paid each month as though a year has 14 or 15 months with one designated month of the year having you make 3 "months" worth of salary.

I know this is from a few pages back but I used to work for the Australian arm of a Malaysian conglomerate, and they used to give very generous bonuses because it was easier to justify bonuses to the parent corporation than salary increases.

Of course, the moment the company hit “hard times” ie. it was still very profitable but not making the absurd amounts of money the management was used to seeing, the bonuses disappeared. Two thirds of the staff left the following month.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

These brewery stories make it real clear why Germany has the Reinheitsgebot.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Pondex posted:

You can just imagine the dumb bullshit brewery-bosses could get up to pre 1516.

Limiting the allowed ingredients to barley, hops, yeast and water has to cut down on quite a lot of bullshit.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Like, poo poo - if I had a phone number to call I could have gotten that answer instead of taking five business days of back and forth for an (incorrect) answer.

I usually hate making phone calls but but if a five minute call can head off a never ending parade of “as per my last email” yeah I’m picking up the phone.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Outrail posted:

*As per my next email*

angrily shouted down the phone at whoever was unlucky enough to answer

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I’ve learned a lot about the brewing industry just from lurking this thread.

I didn’t know Japan had much of a craft brewing scene, all I’m familiar with are macro brews like Asahi, Kirin, Sapporo, etc.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Asahi is a perfectly cromulent beer.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Escape From Noise posted:

One of the CEOs is now apparently making GBS threads out ideas for beers now. His big idea? A margherita pizza beer with tomato, basil, and wheat. Yeah. Cool. Non brewer owner ideas are always the worst.

How on gods flat earth does he think those flavours will even work in a beer? Maybe sweet basil in a hoppy ale, but even that seems like it’s pushing it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Freaquency posted:

One of my favorite summer beers is a basil beer.

That does sound pretty good.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Production environment Lack rack.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Not surprising, spreadsheets were the original IBM PC’s killer app after all.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

At my last job we had a warehouse guy who refused to use the ERP system and hacked together his own godawful inventory management system with Excel, VBA and Dropbox, all because he didn’t like the ERP system’s mobile app. It wouldn’t have bothered me so much if he hadn’t gotten pissy with me because I refused to support it.

I try to put a stop to shadow IT wherever I see it but if you insist on rolling your own tools, support becomes your problem.

Why yes he’s still working for them why do you ask

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 16, 2022

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

Question for everyone: What is the best job you ever had, and what made it the best? Was it a good job objectively or just tolerable in ways you could stand?

This is from like ten pages back but here goes anyway.

Current job, IT help desk for a huge global law firm.

Management is reasonable and easy to work with. It’s a 100% office-based role, no remote work but it’s a REALLY nice office and easy to get to via public transport. They expect you to get onto things right away but the actual workload is fairly light. There’s even a staff cafe with full time baristas.

Also they almost always promote internally where possible. It’s the kind of place where people can comfortably spend their entire careers.

The only real drawback is that there’s mandatory on-call and overtime to support our global operations but you get paid $$$ BIG CASH MONEY $$$ for it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

kashbrok posted:

I just found out the most asinine poo poo I've ever heard. The family of companies is being destroyed on sites like Glassdoor because it's devolved into an overall bad and sad place to work after some changes to senior management. Instead of doing anything to address the issues, which are clearly stated in writing, they are suing to obtain user records so the complainers can be found and dealt with.

Due to the nature of my work I have to be involved in projects that are senior management and investor facing. In one of these meetings it was brought up in passing as if it was the most normal thing and met with platitudes as if it was a good move.

When a company hits the “punish the malcontents” phase of the downward spiral, it’s not long for this world.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

I resigned.

It's done.

Happy Friday, goons! :cheers:

Good stuff, well done.

The weirdest thing about leaving a toxic workplace is having to unlearn so many habits you picked up along the way.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

With all due respect, gently caress you and everything you stand for, eat the worst kind of poo poo and die. No offence.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

i did this for some papers in college and got full marks on at least two of them.

current "AI" isn't intelligent in any meaningful sense but it is p interesting.

Being able to ask a question in plain English and get an answer back in plain English is a huge step forward but in five years I’m sure it will be just another tool as mundane as Excel.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

The exit interview at my last job felt kind of like they were a lovely partner trying to convince me not to leave a toxic relationship, only without the empty promises to change.

In my experience, exit interviews are just an opportunity for your boss to get a in one last parting shot before you go.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

One of the other guys at my last job told me that at his last job, someone complained in the exit interview that management had enough money for pointless luxuries like coffee machines and a pool table for the break room but kept saying they couldn't afford to give raises. Apparently management's response was to get rid of all the break room amenities. I have no idea what they thought that would accomplish besides pissing everyone off even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Deki posted:

Break room amenities are a hell of a lot cheaper than substantive raises.

That said, lol at dumping the amenities.

True enough, I didn’t get any other stories out of him but apparently it was the kind of petty passive-aggressive poo poo management did all the time.

When a company enters the “punish the malcontents” phase of the downward spiral, they don’t usually have long to go.