Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i loving hate it when i have to manage contracts and procurement for poo poo we use. i am just a user. we already have contracts, supply, and legal departments let them deal with that poo poo. why are they getting paid when we have to do our own bidding process bullshit on our own. that would like facilities telling people to empty their office trash cans and replace their toilet paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Pimpcasso posted:

I have to wear an armband that buzzes and flashes when I get within six feet of another employee since covid came around. I work in a small control room monitoring a bunch of computers with 3 other people. So these alert armbands just go off constantly for 12 hours like we’re playing laser tag. :waycool:

what color armbands? O_o

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Boiled Water posted:

Pros dosconnect the microphone on their own end before denigrating their terrible bosses

Good job! Now everyone can hear you in lovely laptop mic quality!

The actual pro way to do it is to keep the Sounds control panel open and actually disable the microphone device itself.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

genericuser posted:

As a result of a re-org devised by madman, I report to three separate directors. They all scheme against each other and refuse to speak to the other two directors.

Generally, they tell me to pay lip service to the other director’s objectives and focus on their projects.

It’s like Office Space without Jennifer Aniston.

This way you can screw up the KPIs of three teams at once. I call that efficiency!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Lazyfire posted:

My company moved to Office 365 a few weeks back and just started encouraging people use Microsoft Planner to set up action items, road maps and what not.

From 9 to 1 today I got 500 emails because someone sent out a test message from a Planner group and used the all Business Unit distribution. Somehow every response to the email was sent to the distribution, even if you didn't hit the reply all option. The first few responses were "received" or whatever and others were "I don't know why I'm on this list." It quickly devolved into 40 point bold font "STOP HITTING REPLY ALL!" and people admonishing everyone for their bad email etiquette and then some people just complaining everyone was flooding their inboxes.

Reminds me of this classic:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/me-too/ba-p/610643

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

teen witch posted:

Today a salesperson in another office emailed a manager (who is not my manager but a manager in my office) infuriated that I didn’t add the proper salutations in my email.

The email was urgent and entirely due to them not do their end of the work. but I need to say “dear so and so” in order to make them feel good.

On one hand, it's a bitch move for them to cry to daddy.
On the other, they are not your subordinates nor your child so they don't have to tolerate your disrespectful rear end. Even if work got delayed because of them.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
A vendor keeps calling my phone like a crazy ex. loving chill and send an email you fucks.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Goddammit goddammit godammit godDAMMIT

IF I SAY SOMETHING DOENS'T MAKE SENSE IN ENGLISH, THEN IT DOESN'T loving MAKE SENSE!

If I say "that's a bad idea" and give you TEN REASONS, ACCEPT THAT IT'S A BAD IDEA.

I had to loving say the words "Cyberpunk 2077" and I'm probably gonna get sent home for sass, but I absolutely can't with this right now.

Game industry?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
What the gently caress is assigned to me? Let me check my workflow, sharepoint sites, ticketing system (separate from workflow), assigned KPIs, random notes I scribbled during meetings, emails (focal point for random poo poo :killme:), half-remembered conversations, random tracking Excel sheets, etc...

I'd much rather if everything was assigned to one system even if it was lovely. Hell, give me a classic lovely Java client. I won't complain, not after dealing with this chaotic mess.

e: forgot about the random tracking Excel sheets lol. Just proves I have too many places where my tasks can be hidden.
e2: Oh gently caress I forgot work instant messengers which are a thing now.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 7, 2021

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Atopian posted:

General question for the thread:

I assume a bunch of people here have made the leap from "poorly paid for work that is way beyond the job description / your theoretical experience level" to "appropriately paid for a job that is appropriate for your experience level". Basically, "big fish tiny pond" to "mediocre fish huge pond".

Any advice on how to do so gracefully?
I'm used to being exploited and abused but also more-or-less untouchable, but now I'll be appropriately paid with an appropriate workload, but very much replaceable.

What are some key habits to change, so I can avoid being the stupid poo poo someone else sees at work?

You may be replaceable but it's such a pain in the rear end the business will fight against it unless you gently caress up something major or piss off the right people. Unless you have temperamental management I wouldn't care too much about the replaceable part.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Enfys posted:

They can also lobby the government to make life so untenable for people that they have no choice to work in increasingly inhumane conditions

sorry folks but it’s gonna be this.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
The worst part is that they can make loads more money if they would just gently caress off to some resort somewhere and let the employees handle the whole thing.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Catastrophe posted:

When 10 Barrel sold their company to AB InBev, they got excluded from things like the yearly Oregon Brewer's Fest here in Portland because they were no longer a craft brewery. So 10 Barrel loaded up a Hummer limo with a bunch of their employees and signs that said "Banned, so we party!" and they crashed the brewer's festival hooting and hollaring and waving their dipshit signs around bitching about how they were "banned" from it. They could have just taken the change maturely but they decided to be loud assholes whining about it at a festival they weren't even invited to in order to make it shittier for the people who were there instead.

gently caress 10 Barrel.

I thought schoolchildren were not allowed to drink?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sick coworker who might or might not have covid (and came into work anyway!! and wasn't sent home!!) stole an absent worker's jacket because "I'm cold" and promptly coughed up a storm into the jacket sleeve more than once.

I'm going to find the goddamn key for my cabinet lock one of these days

work jacket or personal jacket? what an rear end in a top hat.