Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Arven posted:

I'm in IT, and my job decided to require all IT spending be approved by the CFO equivalent in our hierarchy. After a year of him turning literally every request down, departments just started to buy poo poo out of their own budgets without consulting IT first. We now have a constant stream of new random software and hardware that we have to support and find ways to make work with our infrastructure.

I’m on the opposite side of this. IT is so dogmatic and controlling that I just go around them and implement solutions in parallel with our systems or just install my own network and hire someone to make things work.

They get aggravated with me I can tell but it usually works well and I get forgiven.

Last time I just went and bought some iPads and signed up for an off the shelf contractor receptionist app and they got so pissed off when I put it on the guest wifi. They found out because I told them one of the wifi broadcasters wasn’t working so they sent me another one and I put it in the front lobby. Then I just called and acted stupid until they made it work for me. (Gosh it worked before I don’t know! Ya totally it’s been here like forever but I think someone moved the plug. Anyway it’s in this port now so just make it work for now and we’ll figure it out later)

Eventually they found out but by then the VP of manufacturing had seen it and loved it and got angry at them that all the other plants didn’t have it and were using paper sign ins.

My fav way to gently caress with IT is put in some fancy thing like our BAS system and ask them slowly for dedicated IP addresses while adding in all the HVAC and other macro level devices. Then snap photos of the awesome dashboard and get the social media group to put it on our social media so they get phone calls asking about the new systems we have that they never even heard of before and when it will be coming to the other plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

IT tears sustain me.

Only accounting is a lower form of life to me

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Speaking of accounting. If I want to get money for any project I have to write out these stupid approval for expenditures. Basically they want me to distil down the project to something an accountant can understand which makes no sense to me because accountants think that customers are an inconvenience that messes up spreadsheets and so they do their best to eliminate them.

They are incapable of understanding awesome things because they are the distillation of moss growing on rocks. They need the rock to never move to survive.

So I have begun structuring them as Eight Legged Essays to see if they get the joke but oddly enough they like them more now.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I used to work for Epicor, an ERP and POS software company. I can tell you with confidence that 3 people wrote most of the software. The POS software was literally one guy and most of his time was spent customizing the software to include the clients branding. Is the new patch out? No, because Khan is making sure the backgrounds on the Coach POS are all centered exactly.

Our ticketing system was in dos and didn't support mice, this was in 2015.

Oh hahaha. Ya mattec. I love running the coms cable right up tight to the main 3ph 1000amp bus bar. Saves a bunch of space and looks better.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Of course it’s not grounded it’s attached to the ceiling. Honestly you guys sound so dumb sometimes

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sounds like fun until your company hires someone like Simon Travaglia

I like to wait until he goes to the shitter then pound on the stall door and ask him if his turd cutter is sharp

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Hey IT. It’s 2021 could we have some wifi?

*small gnomish man looks up from his password reseting and emits a screech of ones and zeroes before howling that un sanctified machines are heresy and blessed are the minds too small to doubt*

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Why do IT nerds love Linux so much?

It’s a 500kb daemon in a 14 year old body

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

No but seriously IT Helpdesk people are comrades and I really appreciate the support they give me.

I also know the support will be coming to an end just when they finally get around to deploying me.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Hahahahaha classic Jeff

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Ah yes the internet. Renowned for being a secure place to keep things.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Outrail posted:

Apparently skype is going to be discontinued after July. They basically had a monopoly on business video calling. How did they gently caress that up so badly? Was it because Microsoft bought them out and hosed it up?

I Don’t think they hosed up. Microsoft backed a dump truck of money up and bought their platform in order to develop their own and then kill Skype.

I only wish I could create a doodad that some huge company will pay me a billion or two for them to kill.

Unfortunately SA doesn’t make enough to kill my posting

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I’m convinced WFH is a capitalism honeypot that’s luring everyone in. Studies show that people are actually working up to 2.5 hours more at home then they would otherwise and the vultures have picked up on that.

How long until you home gets classified as a work place that your company now has rights to? Or hey. If you can do it from another city then clearly someone can do it for much less on another continent.

10 years from now you’ll be remembering fondly only having a 12 hour work day with the commute as the terminal in your home emits a screeching noise because you haven’t entered a keystroke in 2 hours and the corporate camera they are allowed to have in your home turns on to see what you are doing.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Believe me. High level talks are already beginning over if WSIB (for Ontario) needs to be paid for someone who by definition can never be hurt at work as they work from home.

You’re all walking into a horrible horrible trap

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Wage theft is much easier from home. Just have 'wifi issues' once a week for 2.5 hours and play a game.

“Mr Hacksaw. Thank you for joining me today. Your metrics have some issues. We see a remarkable drop in data transfer from your device this month. While I understand you’ve been having data issues I’m afraid that as a Remote Contractor that stable internet is a requirement to submit invoicing for your time. As such we will not be paying you for any period where data activity falls below this arbitrary threshold we control.”

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

My tactic is that I just make sure all my work is wrong and stupid so hackers don’t get anything of value when they hack me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

If they put a boiler with a steam turbine at the focal point it would be a great steam generator.

Missed opportunity