Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I miss the monthly staff meetings most of the time for various reasons, but by some fluke the last one I attended in person was one where I got awarded employee of the month. Like, they had it already printed out and everything, and nobody told me I should attend that one in particular. That was before the pandemic. I think I've attended one, maybe two virtual staff meetings since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hate Gmail's interface, and find it baffling that both Outlook.com and Yahoo! email are vastly better in just about every respect. Readability, rules, customization - all are worse in Gmail

If I had to use Gmail for work I would strongly consider using an email client, which makes me feel like I'm time travelling back to 2004 or so.

My own office transition from our own Exchange server to Outlook.com and it's been great.

teen witch posted:

That does sound more like a GoDaddy issue but yeah I know I can use Outlook with Gmail, that was the first thing I looked up when the transition was announced. Now, WHY it isn’t transitioning smoothly seems to be a POP issue (apparently?) but I’m also curious if there is another Admin related factor that, perhaps I was sniffing for.

I've set up a Gmail account on Outlook for my Mom, and if memory serves it's IMAP, not POP, in case that's any help.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I loving hate time clocks.

I have to use one at my current job, partly because we are a non-profit and so are very careful about tracking hours and such. Almost nobody in the organization is salaried, like maybe 3 or 4 out of 200 people or so, even though it would make more sense for a lot of jobs, including mine.

I am way less productive when I have to gently caress around with a time clock. This strange tension develops where I know I need to be on the clock in order to make money but feel like I don't want to start working on something if I need to clock out in the middle of it so just put it off further. But I also feel guilty if I'm clocked in but not doing something productive. I procrastinate about clocking in, then end up wasting time. If I could just focus on tasks instead of making sure I'm clocked in then I'd be vastly more efficient.

I've worked salaried jobs in the past, and over the course of the year my weeks probably averaged out to 40 hours, since some weeks I wouldn't put in that many and some weeks I'd put in way more, because I was adjusting to what my actual work demands were. Being stuck using a timeclock means I'm forced to obsess over my hours, and my weirdly strong work ethic collides with my general anxiety to result in way lower efficiency.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

Our build/test team burned out 27 custom PCIe cards recently, two program's worth of parts worth over $100k combined because they kept hot swapping them during the test phase, which they had been explicitly told not to do as it would void the warranty and burn out the RAM on the card. This happens every six or so months when they want to make sure the build configurations work, but don't want to bother cycling the power over and over.

That is beyond frustrating into downright infuriating. The thought of some chassis-intrusion shutoff switch came to mind, but the kind of people who will do poo poo like hot swap PCIe cards will just tape over the intrusion sensors or what have you.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Oh my god this hit me so hard. So I work in a very saftey conscious environment because well you fall down the stairs your flesh looks like a cheese grater hit you. Our main job is very call and response dependant and we have one for walking up and down the stairs "Hands on rails!" Then either the person walking or someone else yells "snails on stairs" with pictures of snails on stairs at the top of both stairways. I a few years ago added " woo saftey!" to the call out and it's caught on.
What's funny is it started as a completely sarcastic fake thing and now they all do it. It's gone to other shops via my daughter fiance and roommate who all work for the same company. Just blew my mind seeing that. Shouldn't be surprised though.

That is a really unfortunate missing comma.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So "Agile" is the latest corporate pop-psychology bullshit, like "Lean Six Sigma" a decade ago?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

Agile is like 25+ years old. Scrum is from back in 1994 or some poo poo.

Bro, my burndown charts are TIGHT. Story points? I just pull numbers out of a hat and hit the mark every time.

I'm simultaneously surprised and grateful that I somehow managed to miss this particular batch of purestrain horseshit.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This is less a dumb thing and more of an amusing anecdote, but when I worked tech support for a smaller ISP we got a directive that we were not allowed to speculate about a customer's intelligence or sanity in our call records anymore. It was a minor speedbump in our workflow but we adjusted.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I read the word “stakeholder” one more time today I’m gonna have a rage stroke.

Stinkholder.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Slayerjerman posted:

I have alot more gender specific words for anyone like her. Or would the PC police perfer I call these people by some cutsey codename like "Beckys" or "Karens" or some poo poo?

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

The hard C-word is now getting a week outside of the Australia and U.K. threads in GBS, second time a month, the third time, well good luck you may not be posting here ever again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The whole calls/voicemails/emails thing is highly job dependent. In my job I have to juggle two phone numbers, voicemails, texts, faxes, and email, and if I get a call with no voicemail then it might as well not have happened. If a call comes into the landline number at work then it won't even be logged and I will never know about it unless they leave a message, since I'm working from home. Pretty sure the extensions at work don't really log caller ID, either, but it's been so long since I've been in the office I can't remember.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

Is a canteen the same thing as a break room? We’ve got one of those with some vending machines and some kitchen stuff. Or is it more like an actual staffed kitchen that serves food?

I'm assuming canteen in this sense is a little closer to cafeteria in meaning.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

This is why I don’t get why anyone wants voicemails. If it’s call where you recognize the number it’s just understood you’re gonna call back when you have a moment. Why waste the time to listen to a voicemail that says “call me back”? I’m glad people I know understand this.

This is true for personal or work calls. I’m legit flabbergasted a bunch of goons are clamoring for voicemails, I hate voicemails I can already see who I need to contact on my list of missed calls.

My work phone is basically a message phone for incoming calls - 99% of the time I cannot answer, even if I do know who is calling. My day is broken up into scheduled appointments, and I cannot answer the phone during appointments. People have to call me for various reasons, including to schedule those appointments with me, which requires they leave a voicemail.

I don't see why it is so difficult to comprehend that some jobs require voicemail.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WonkyBob posted:

Shocked that your system doesn't deduct them from a specific leave amount until it's reduced to zero so no further leave can be requested, I've never worked for a company that didn't. 120 hours a year seems really low, does this also mean you only get 15 days leave per year (going by 8 hours per day as a standard shift length)?

Do you live in the US? Because 3 months PTO is a lot here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tarkus posted:

120hrs is 3 weeks

:doh: That's what I get for posting before I'm awake.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

As an American, I've had several jobs with decent PTO, including my current one, but I'm terrible about taking time off and rarely get sick. I'm sitting on 156 hours sick time, 101 hours vacation time, 24 hours personal time, and 16 hours community service time (we get paid if we want to volunteer or something).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just came from the distribution side to the warehouse side and everything here seems to be run on duct tape and hate so... probably.

I grew up with an ethos that there was no problem which could not be surmounted by a Swiss Army knife and a roll of duct tape.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scientastic posted:

Aaaah, you’re talking about lean.

Employing exactly the right number of people to do the job as it is right now.

When anyone going on holiday, being ill, or leaving for any reason means you suddenly become woefully understaffed.

When an unexpected small surge in demand means every single customer doesn’t get what they want because you don’t have the staff to cope with anything outside the exact average workload.

Making me have "6 lean sigma" flashbacks here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Volmarias posted:

How frequently does the form and reason for your "no" change? Is it going to potentially become "yes" in a month, or "lemon" a month after that?

All these stupid methodologies are to help turn a very chaotic process into something that, theoretically, a customer will want to purchase.

Nah, they're mostly there to harvest consulting fees and allow managers to justify their pointless micromanaging and completely artificial metrics.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Somehow that brought to mind the brief stint I did for a company that provided support for AT&T cellular customers.

To find information on stuff like International plans, cruise plans (which were different), promotions, and pretty much anything relating to service, you had to use the AT&T intranet site that was set up kind of like a wiki. I say "kind of," because instead of updating entries, they just created whole new pages. The old pages weren't removed or marked as deprecated, they were just replaced in search by new pages. So every single time you HAD to do a fresh search because if you bookmarked a page then it could be obsoleted and you would have no way of knowing it was no longer current. And the search on the intranet site was maybe as good as the SA forum search, so it was always a crapshoot if the search you are running now will return the same results as the identical search you ran an hour ago.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Imagined posted:

There are few sources of schadenfreude more pure than that felt by an underappreciated or misused employee as they leave for greener pastures knowing that their former employers are royally hosed.

I once got an apologetic letter offering me a raise, an office, and an assistant if I came back.

I didn't go back.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've seen cross-training work out okay in certain circumstances, like in the University department I worked at. There, most of the people whose offices were near the reception desk all got trained on the phone system and how to run the front desk, including people who were program managers and otherwise high-ranking. It was recognized as a vital task, so we made sure we had sufficient depth of coverage. It wasn't abused, and was a net benefit for everyone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What does this mean

I read it as meaning that dealerships are bleeding staff to places that pay a living wage and are going to be so short-staffed work will be backlogged.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Atopian posted:

Uh. What the gently caress?
There have been a lot of stories in this thread, but this one is... perplexing.
So they just started hammering buttons so they could Do Your Job?

I see you have never worked in a corporate environment.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Atopian posted:

Ha, I escaped years ago, but I guess what stuck out was the... 'acting like a toddler' aspect?

I'm used to incompetence and malice and laziness and all that stuff, but someone with the earnest belief that they could just sit down at someone's specific-procedure-knowledge job and Show Them All just struck me as what a small child might do.

Yeah, it was outlandish - I was just looking for an easy joke.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

I've erased out the names and phone numbers and stuff but this was literally just sent to our entire 3000 person multi-state company

If it doesn't include dicks, and preferably a lot of dicks, you should put in your notice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sormus posted:

We've tried negotiating with our company about trying 4x12h shifts, DD-NN----- rotation, unsurprisingly they have not been huge fans of the idea.

48-hour work weeks?

I worked 4x10h shifts for a while and it was pretty great, especially once I had seniority and my days off were Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, but 12 hour shifts would have made it less great.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I did 4x12s (or 2x24’s) in EMS all the time, it’s pretty standard for jobs where you’re basically dependent on OT.

Okay, I was wondering if it might be something in the medical field. It's one of the few areas in the US where ridiculously long shifts are not only condoned but appear to be the norm.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I’ve seen 12 hour shifts elsewhere but usually they were 3x12. Honestly I would kind of prefer 3x12 over 4x10 but that’s because my day is absolutely shot when I’m working anyway.

My old constitution safety job was 5x10,1x8 minimum and it was kind of brutal but the paychecks were excellent. Especially if the “8” became an “18” because of some kind of major milestone that was getting hit, and if I went over 12 they paid to stick me in a motel down the street so I wouldn’t have to drive.

E: towards the end there were people on the site putting in 7x12 but they’d also be working like three week sprints and then done, construction gets weird with the hours because people can take a ton of time off between jobs.

Okay, that also makes sense. When I was doing the 4x10s it was doing phone-based tech support, so a lot of the time was just sitting in front of a computer waiting for a call. And the later at night it got the quieter it got. Having nothing to do but wait made the days feel longer.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I could do weirder shifts when I was younger, and could force myself to do mornings. My work thankfully isn't dumb about this and I can set my own schedule to a large degree.

In my industry in general, though, the loving morning people dominate conferences and workshops, so professional development stuff is often inaccessible to me because the sadists want to start everything at spite o'clock in the AM.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Son of Rodney posted:

I see, thanks! Makes a lot of sense, i had an IT guy at a tiny engineering firm i interned at do this with a Ubuntu distribution and it blew my minded how he could just simultaneously set up a dozen computers.

But why make them all inflexible? I'm sure every second employee needs some Specialized programs to work productively, not everyone needs the same stuff.

In a lot of environments people just need Office, a web browser, and maybe one or two specialized programs like the internal database or something. And you don't want everyone to have an admin account. Or have their computers never lock or sleep.

I just got a new office and am going to have to deal with trying to get better equipment and hopefully an admin account since I actually know what I'm doing, but would settle for equipment that feels like it's from this decade.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Speaking of bastard IT depts and corporate images, I just ran in this today:

No, there is no password manager to use instead.

Clearly they got a good deal on Post-It notes and just want you to use those stuck to your monitor instead.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Work from home has been good for me because the company laptop I was issued is actually competent, and I have admin rights on it (not sure if I'm supposed to but that's the way it came). It is so vastly superior to the ancient desktops in the actual physical offices that it is going to be hard to adjust back, and I desperately need to upgrade the hardware in my new office now that I am going back to in-person sometimes.

I don't have high demands - two browser windows and Zoom are really it, but holy poo poo those old desktops struggle even with that. Running Remote Desktop to access stuff on the server from home is faster, by leaps and bounds, than sitting there with one of those sad desktops that are physically connected to the intranet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mojo Jojo posted:

At many jobs most people just can't be trusted with them

That's very true, but most employers are absolute poo poo about determining the people that CAN be trusted with them. I'm not IT now but have been in the past, and if anything my machine is more secure because I have admin rights, not less, because I am a bit obsessive about keeping track of vulnerabilities and updates.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

I am loving AGHAST. I physically recoiled from reading this post.

When I did computer service I had a desktop brought in that the customer said would not power on. I figured out why pretty quick - it was soaked, just loving saturated, with cat piss. It got relocated outside my office, outside the building, due to the reek. It did not get repaired.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Having admin rights on my work laptop makes going to the office and using a slow-rear end desktop with a regular user account even less appealing.

Being able to uninstall bloatware, update the machine properly, and install the stuff I need has been liberating compared to my in-office experience, and doubly so because I used to work IT myself and am perhaps the least likely person in the organization to get a case of the malwares.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I tried the mouse-on-watch thing but can't tell if it's working. I work from home and nobody really cares what my computers are doing.

Anyone using Chrome who just updated to version 94 might want to be aware they stuck a new API in there that allows a website to track your active status, and god knows what else. It probably hasn't been implemented anywhere yet, but Mozilla and Webkit have both weighed in that it is a terrible, privacy-violating thing. Oh, and it defaults to being on. I've left myself notes to change the privacy settings on all the machines I interact with that have Chrome on them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

Love when users demand replacement laptops because "This thing is so slow, there's no hope for it" but when pushed the only slowness they can demonstrate is that Outlook takes 10 seconds to send an email.

Also when I time it with a stopwatch so I can tell them it took 10 seconds because they'll inevitably claim it took a minute.

I use Outlook.com for work, and it feels like they have added a delay to sending there in the last couple weeks. Presumably to allow a window of time to cancel sending if you notice a mistake or have second thoughts. I haven't used any version of local Outlook in a while, but I wonder if there is a setting somewhere that puts in a delay, either client or server side.

When I first noticed the delay I was mildly worried and/or annoyed, but now I kind of appreciate it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

Nah, in our case it's because we have a coddled username who are getting migrated to the parent company's much stricter domain and now there's security software that likes to suck up as much CPU and RAM as possible so people are learning the hard way they can't leave they're computers on and running for a month with 20 applications running.

Ah, that would do it, too.

I've always been mostly in the shut down at night camp, outside of some places like work where the machines are so decrepit that boot times are measured in minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"Latinx" is an iffy term, and a lot more likely to be applied to the population in question than used by that population themselves.