Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Been catching up on the thread, and I know this has already been said more than once but people keep on sharing anecdotes that indicate they didn't listen:

If someone asks/tells you do something verbally, go back to your desk, type up an email to them summarising their request as you understand it, and end with "please let me know if I misunderstood anything, otherwise I'll get on with it in (timeframe)."
Make it sound positive, just checking details before doing as they ask, etc. Make it a habit and people will just expect it of you.

Then, when weasels inevitably weasel, you have this clear papertrail you can pull up with a quick search term.

At their first comeuppance, someone might insist that they never read your email, and that might somewhat dilute the blame, but then they have handed you excellent justification to not work on anything they mention in future until they send a confirmatory reply to your email. Which they won't, because they are weasels.

Once the weasels have decided to move on to easier prey, a lot of offices become a lot more livable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The Zombie Guy posted:

When the banked sick days were done away with, I was in a fairly fortunate position, having already burned through all of mine, after blowing out my back. The replacement sick day system isn't terrible, and we get 5 "Whatever" PTO days each year, for things like moving days, funerals, jury duty, etc.
As much as I could go on for days about the dumb poo poo, I have better reasons to stay. I make a lot more than is average for my job title. I am also very good at what I do. The biggest thing though, is that I (mostly) enjoy what I do. That's the Best Job For Me trifecta. Having all 3 of those things means I have a fraction of the problems that the rest of society has with their jobs.

Sure, but be careful not to forget that you work for thieves who will steal from you apparently just because they can .

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Zarin posted:

I'm also only tangentially aware of who Sea Org is thanks to this forum, but my impression of them is a floating clown show (at best)

Pennywise more than Mr Boffo.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

poisonpill posted:

The power of a bad business manager to absolutely destroy a going concern in a year by trying to save pennies never ceases to amaze me

I remain mildly surprised that people with stock in a company put things that are worth so much money in the hands of people who, even being charitable, must be extremely obviously incompetent to anyone who meets them.
Surprised because why, mildly because it's a very familiar sight by now.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Outrail posted:

Steal the notebooks and throw them away including the current one.

Make small edits throughout so that he begins to doubt his sanity as he follows the thread

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

Edit: Of course, you need to document the time you spent doing that poo poo using the same tool as well. :hfive:

Honestly, bullshit time systems that account for the time required for their bullshit are better than bullshit time systems that don't.

At least then the wasted hours are being correctly attributed to it, not you.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Been out of a job for a few months, reading this thread as a form of exposure therapy so I'm ready for office bullshit again.

Or, y'know, motivation to live as a wild man in the forest.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

zedprime posted:

If you're on a company owned PC on a company network they already have your connection history based off your MAC address.

If you're using your own device on a company network, always use a VPN.
If you're using a company device on a company network, only use it for work.

Rules to live by.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

teen witch posted:

Company is now hosting email in the cloud which I thought we were doing but now this is through Google instead of O365 and turns out trying to sync a Gmail account to Outlook doesn’t loving work well!!!!

Love to lose my organized emails because of the cloud. 4 years of organization unceremoniously hosed with.

Literally no other reason but “we need to move to the cloud” why? The cloud.

C L O U D

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

My workplace is intent on transferring from using a local server to google drive, docs, etc.

Only we're in China. Which blocks google.
We have an institutional VPN, but that goes down for several weeks every year.
The manager pushing this hasn't been here long enough to see that happen, but he's been told, and... has ignored it?

Anyway, Fun Times incoming.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

At a previous job I had a boss who I didn’t trust, so every little thing that was asked of me I followed up with an email saying “just confirming you asked me to do X today. What’s the deadline on that?”

About 80% of the time they just never replied so I didn’t do it.

This is The Way.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Mojo Jojo posted:

Two hands. Next question

One for singular, two for plural.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

nexus6 posted:

Following up on my earlier posts about management wanting to raise everyone's pay to more equal levels, today they revealed what the monetary values of individual pay bands are. It appears that while I am currently being paid more than company-determined average for my role & experience, it's unclear if I'd have to be promoted twice just to receive any significant increase or not.

The place I currently work at introduced a pay band structure.
They may have... misjudged things, in that all of the people with both experience and skill are leaving in the next ~2 months.
This will raise their 2-year turnover to >95% for employees below management level.
In that there will be two of the original staff left, out of ~60.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I keep getting emails with gemba and andon in all caps since Amazon has that six sigma “Japanese loan word” addiction going on and I always want to write back “They’re not acronyms you idiot hellfuckers”. I’m concerned one day I won’t be able to hold back.

Write that, but in Japanese.

Edit: Also, if someone is intent on introducing jargon for the sake of jargon, into something that I am forced to interact with but which is not central to my productivity or happiness, I am absolutely not learning what the gently caress they are talking about, and I will parrot whatever bullshit buzzwords they use back to them in grammatically correct nonsense until they give up and find someone who cares.

Could that be what someone is doing to you?

Atopian fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 30, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Creature posted:

loving golf. Why are all these old men so obsessed with golf. Playing golf is not a personality you boring grey office fucks.

It's a walk in the countryside with frequent stops to rest, and people have to pay attention to what you do.
This is why old dudes like it.

It's an unremarkable activity that lets groups of people talk in relative privacy without having to formally record it as a meeting.
This is why rich corrupt people like it.

Everyone else should ignore it. And yet.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

...the true comedy being how many people did indeed choose to get out.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Tekopo posted:

Guess who's never attending a quarterly company meeting ever again?

On the plus side, if challenged you can point to that policy change as evidence that the company doesn't give a poo poo about meetings either.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Students have to finish a personal project in order to complete the grade.

So obviously we then have to enter their PP into their cum file before the end of the year.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I sometimes wonder:
Everyone knows what Sales are like. Everyone can point to the counterproductive stuff that happens as a result.
Why don't more companies try to restructure their bonus/commission structure to make Sales less... Sales?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Deki posted:

My workplace just sent out a notice saying they're removing the ability to compress your schedule to 4 days a week or have your work start before 7 am, and are giving us a whole week to figure out what's up.

We've had retention issues for years and this is gonna piss a lot of people off who only have stuck around because of the flexibility

Workplaces can be surprisingly blind to what employees value.
The employer I'm in the process of leaving has new top-level management, and as part of a big push to "standardise conditions with competitors" has only been offering contracts with earlier start times and fewer holidays.
And sure, those were relatively generous... because the salaries surely weren't. Obviously the salaries aren't changing.

So then they get all surprised at everyone leaving if they're able to. I know they're surprised, rather than this just being stealth layoffs, because they are going to be critically understaffed soon, and are sending increasingly desperate retention emails to all the people who have already signed contracts elsewhere.

And... how could any of this be a surprise to anyone? Presumably they are aware that the people they employ are capable of at least basic maths?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

nexus6 posted:

Shame there's no way anyone could automate that

At a job I had about ten years ago I kept automating responses to admin bullshit using some terrible amateur excel/VB hacks that were nevertheless much faster than actually doing the stuff manually.

It got to the point where the life cycle of an admin initiative would go:

Introduction -> Nagging about compliance -> I would finally get around to hacking something together and share it with my team -> It would spread -> Pleased emails about compliance -> Admin would catch on that it was automated -> The whole thing would be dropped.

It was like they only cared as long as it was taking people time, which was... ???
They weren't as aggressively bad as some of the stories in this thread, so it's hard to ascribe it to pure malice, but to this day I don't know what was going on in the background there.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Several companies have invited me to pursue management, but the pay/terms have rarely been good enough compared with the expected duties. Of the two times it was, the company was desperate.

I assume that most people take these roles either offensively (because they enjoy power over others) or defensively (to stop someone worse taking it), but I work for money and benefits, and don't particularly want to play rigged games like that.

Presumably it's a path that eventually leads to Fabulous Wealth, but eh. Being a manager means putting company concerns over worker concerns, and I'd hate to do that for the relatively trivial amount of money that they usually initially offer.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

McGavin posted:

Buy the most shameful gamer equipment you can find. LEDs on everything. See if the company still wants it.

Hello Kitty Everything

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

teen witch posted:

But the cloud

My soon-to-be-former organisation continues to charge headlong at The Cloud, despite not getting... any of it.

They're just using google drive and some minor organisation / storage thing, and hoping everything will work out.
Today's latest is: they wanted group editing of some documents, so they gave everyone write access.
Now someone has apparently accidentally deleted everything. No backups.

Fortunately those of us who have been here for a while (who are all leaving in a couple of months) had our own backups, which we will graciously provide as soon as we are asked.
Don't know what's going to happen after those two months though.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

BitBasher posted:

How? Even the lowest level commercial Gsuite has file restoration built in for the Gsuite admin, I'm like 99.9% sure? It also has a trash can that keeps files for (I think) 30 days?

Re: this comment and another to the same effect:
Sure, but the people who are in charge of this stuff don't know that.
Which is quite impressive really.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Enfys posted:

To be fair, it's ridiculously cruel for an employer to fake people out with a non-existent bonus while pretending to appreciate everyone's hard work during a pandemic just for a "gotcha"

If I were an employee there, I would now purposely click on every single spam link and beg phishers and hackers to take down the entire company

Whether or not I clicked on the thing, I'd then be asking "Where is my bonus? A company email promised a bonus, now where is it?"

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

vyst posted:

Lol we get a nag email but it doesn't drop a dime on your fellow employees. Thats savage.

Why would any of your co-workers care one way or another?
If I were a manager I'd avoid that sort of thing, as it might breed solidarity.
Ideally you'd keep punishment/reproach as quiet and individual as possible, to make everyone think they were singularly awful and isolated as possible. Maximum guilt and pressure, minimum consolation and chance for people to call bullshit.

Amateur hour, basically.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Enfys posted:

Toxic environments breed cliques and petty backstabbing.

People love to shame others for the most inane and meaningless things.

I don't doubt the truth of your words, but I am super thankful that my various workplaces - bad though they may have been - never had the majority of workers siding with management about... anything.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Next week try to obviously badly hum the hold music while you're waiting.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

d0s posted:

I love it when people are just shocked when the lowest bidder chinese factory they chose sends an order where half the items are out of tolerance and smell like cigarettes, or a component is upside down on a few thousand PCBs. like every chinese factory is the one cranking out iphones

Amusingly I live near a bunch of those, and after getting it down to a fine art, they themselves are now in the middle of automation-driven downsizing. As above...

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey, why's everyone suddenly resigning? I told you peasants to get back in your cells or I'd fire you! :confused:

I mean, even aside from a witty response, anyone faced with that needs to prepare their gtfo plan immediately.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

Thankfully, no. I'm glad to know that my company isn't the only one with insanely bad drawings. My previous job was partially reviewing engineering drawings for manufacturability, so when I got here and saw what we provided vendors and our own shop floor, I was stunned that any of them made it through a peer review.

The idea that you can just send whatever it is you want to China and have crates of it next week is one of the greatest lies China has sold the world. For small everyday items there probably warehouses of the thing you are looking for, sure, but I've met people who just assume that they could get complicated custom electronics shipped to them in a week if we just "went to China" for it. Poorly Made in China is a good book on how the system works from the perspective of an insider and should be required reading for anyone new to any industry that involves manufacturing.

You totally can get that - in that, there are several places that could do that for you.
The trick is, finding one of those places, paying them enough to do it (because actual quality labour has a cost and rarity even here), somehow persuading them to prioritise work over all the other people who know they do quality work, and then somehow preventing them from outsourcing it to one of the many crappier places they subcontract to whenever they can.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

My company ran out of stuff to sell so Im currently being paid to make sure I don't accidentally convince someone to buy something from us.

*Wakes up after an all-night bender sprawled in a pile of empty bottles and completed order forms*

*Groans in regret*

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

Actual thursday meeting "Ok, but is there anyway you can sell less?"

Always don't be closing

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I mean, normal companies expect people to sell more with less time, then reduce their pay.
Maybe in this bizarro world that OP has entered, a raise is possible?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Barudak posted:

Im now using the money we save by not selling things to invest in a system to better track and analyze the sales we aren't having

Recruit an unsales assistant. A real no-getter.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Look, if you do this right then you'll get someone who lands a small number of high-volume, high-margin jobs, who is always courteous and considerate to co-workers despite never making much commission.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Some solid content there

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Life gets better when you attach a small cost to bothering you.
Doesn't have to be anything significant. A minor delay, some small inconvenience, but suddenly maybe bothering you isn't automatically a no-lose proposition, and maybe there's some else easier to suck time and effort from like some poorly organised vampire.

People who really need your help won't even notice the speedbump, but people who are bothering you for the sake of it will go elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

You know what they say.

Jeffrey Epstein's Judge's Son didn't kill himself.

Good story, though. A window onto infinite sadness.