Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

My boss likes to buy random poo poo at auctions because "it was a good deal" and then try to force them into use. He just bought a few spools of wire that's normally used in marine environments. We don't build anything that goes in a marine environment, which is typically fine, wire is wire, etc. He wants us to use it in place of wire we normally use. Problem being it doesn't follow the color schemes of the normal stuff, so if we were to use it and then our product has issues down the line and tech support is trying to help, they're going to reference a purple wire for a certain component and randomly there will be a window where everything created in a certain time frame will have green wire with white striping instead.

IT WAS A GOOD DEAL, THOUGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Are we sure we don't all work at the same place

Every place is full of morons pretty much

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

You Goons are living the loving dream. Someday. I'm actually in something like your guru position right now, only I have actual work and responsibilities that go along with it, and also I'm hella underpaid. At least, until a couple weeks from now; put in my notice, leaving for a government job with 70% higher pay.

I'm about halfway between the OP you were replying to and you. I've turned into somewhat of a go to answer person over the years I've worked here. I basically have free reign to do whatever I want with hardware, purchases, whatever (within reason).

I was also severely underpaid, until the summer of 2019. I got tired of putting up with poo poo, being a go-to person, but being paid dick, so I went and found a different job, and put in my 2 weeks. My boss kind of panicked. He asked me if I would sit in on interviews for my job, I said I would, so they posted it right away and started getting people in. The first guy they interviewed had zero technical knowledge and seemed like a complete idiot. My boss told him the salary range, which was (as an example) $20-$30/hr. I started below this bracket but had worked my way up to be on the lower end of it over the course of a couple of years. My boss said something to the effect of "I'm thinking if we hire you, we'd start you at the higher end of that scale" which was like $5/hr more than I was making. I was pissed, my boss noticed.

Second guy wanted 100k/year and a company car. Afterwards, I joked with my boss that I would stay for 99k.

Multiple other people just didn't show up for the interview.

Two days before I was going to be leaving, they hadn't found anyone worth a drat. On a whim, I texted my boss and asked him what he thought a package to keep me around might look like. He came back with a 25% raise and quarterly company wide profit share. I ended up staying and I'm still here currently. I made a nice chunk off the profit sharing bonus in 2020.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Get this. My work wants to "sell" services to "customers" in order to make a "profit". Crazy right?

Only an idiot would buy that

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Just got letter from HR today that they're trying to arrange vaccines for people here, as we've been working the whole time (manufacturing/front line and we actually make stuff for pharma studies). Also said that those who receive both doses of the vaccine and show their vaccination card will no longer be required to wear masks.

It's my understanding that even if you're vaccinated you can still be a carrier, so this sounds incredibly stupid. But our HR lady also thinks the virus was created to make Trump lose the election so there's that.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Why is always this person who seems to go into HR?

I assume HR draws in people that really enjoy hearing office gossip. This woman is exactly who you wouldn't really want in HR. She's catty, petty as hell, and gossipy. If you get on her poo poo list, good loving luck.

She also had a years long relationship with a married man, which she openly talked about. He finally dumped her I think when she gave him an ultimatum of either picking his wife or her. Is in probably her mid-late 50's and lives in her daughter's basement. HUGE Trump supporter, not terribly surprising.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Play posted:

I mean, it's true that at that point you're extremely unlikely to spread or get covid. Still, what a stupid loving policy. Not everyone you see will instantly understand that you've been vaccinated. Masks until the whole workplace is vaccinated (assuming customers or others aren't coming through your workspace) would make a lot more sense.

We don't have customers coming through generally other than a couple of people that rent a product from us and keep it here and just come in occasionally to store things in it, etc.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

wa27 posted:

I think I would be more comfortable with 100% of my coworkers getting the vaccine and not wearing masks, than I would be with 40% declining it and everyone still "wearing" masks (which is what's happened at my workplace)

There are plenty of people here that straight up don't trust the vaccine and won't get it (I'm in the Midwest, pretty red around here). If it was 100% of the people getting it, then yeah I'd be more comfortable not wearing one here. People have been mostly good about wearing masks this whole time and it's a write up for not wearing one.

In related news, one of my employees just texted me and he has covid now, so that's neat. I'm a bit worried because he's over 65 and since I've started working here he's had lung cancer, nearly cut his finger off, had multiple surgeries, and pneumonia. The guy's skin is paper thin, so I see him bleed like once a week. Absolute bear of a man and if anyone can beat it, it'll be him, but still.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

Let me guess: big glasses, curly dirty blonde hair, huge FUPA?

2 out of 3. Doesn't have curly hair.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I'm sorry dudes I didn't mean to make this thread spiral down the covid shithole my company is just really stupid.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Outrail posted:

Maybe the mistake was initially pretending what the supervisor wanted was even possible. I'm forced to continually learn the 'give and inch they'll take a mile' lesson, it's hard to learn when to just shut poo poo down immediately because each request in incrementally reasonable until you're wasting a full day a week pandering to some dumb poo poo you shouldn't have to be worrying about.

There's got to be a happy medium between 'be a complete prick and say no to everything always' and 'be a complete pushover' but it's hard to find.

At the end of my most recent review, my boss (one of the owners of the company at the time) asked me if I had any feedback about his managing style, things I liked, disliked, etc. I told him the main thing I was happy about was the ability to tell him when his ideas are terrible. He may not always end up using my suggestion, but he at least listened with no bias if I explained why something he wanted to do wouldn't work, or was just a flat out stupid idea.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

ooh boy, this is my kinda thread.

I work in quality assurance for a manufacturing company, we make a very specific thing, and have had nearly a global monopoly on this thing for the better part of 30 years.
this dominance is now slipping due to the company going from private to public owned, with the previous owner who had a teutonic obsession for quality being kicked to the curb.
now profit uber alles is the name of the game, regardless if quality suffers. this makes my mission of "never pass a known fault to a customer" difficult when i have influence as a SME without authority.

it sometimes results in the situation i'm dealing with now.
in order to meet q4 revenue targets, a product was shipped that unbeknownst to me was suffering from severe quality issues. the thing we make didn't make what the customer needs correctly.
these quality issues were deliberately hidden from the quality team by management as they knew we'd raise holy hell about shipping known quality issues to a customer.

so instead we play dumb, customer gets their new shiny thing and raise holy hell when they can't get it to work.
guess who's job it is now to ensure that they get it to work correctly
it me

I work QA too and know this struggle all too well.

With us we have one general product but there are a lot of different options you can change to achieve different things with our product. Sales will still find a way to sell something we've never done before (and usually there's a reason we haven't done it, and that reason is because it's stupid or won't work). Then engineering gets involved as little as possible first, production just makes the closest approximation to what was sold, they bring it back to my area, it doesn't work, and then it suddenly becomes my problem. I have one back in my area right now that was supposed to go out in the middle of December but it's just churning here, they make minor tweaks to it and want to test it again. All it really has done so far is take up valuable floor space and data logging capacity.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Dear Watson posted:

I used to be in industries like underground mining and now Im in an office job in a professional environment and I miss being able to tell people how I really feel.

I miss it a lot

Yeah, not as many feelings to hurt in a trades industry usually.

Being able to say "no, your idea is stupid and you should feel bad" to an idiot engineer that earns twice my pay is very cathartic.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

On the lighter side, back in the day I worked at a place that decided that a fun game for a christmas party was a White Castle eating contest.

3 participants each ate over 20 of them, with the winner eating an entire crave case (30).

They all spent the rest of the day in the bathroom making GBS threads their intestines out and the company never did that again.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

A sales guy that now works from home due to covid decided a while back that his current Mac is getting old and asked his boss for a new Mac. It got approved and they purchased it and sent it straight to him rather than coming to myself or the other pseudo IT guy to at least configure it for our network, get Umbrella/Webroot on, etc.

I honestly didn't even know he had received it, as I told him he'd need to bring it in and he never did, plus I have a million other things to do, so i just forgot all about it. Until yesterday, when he asked for help with his email configuration, but again didn't want to bring it in. Turns out, he's having an issue with the default mail app on MacOS that even Apple support apparently can't really help him with. He sent an email, I told him we use Office 365, just install that and everything will be fine. Now he's getting pissy because I won't help him because apparently the apple mail app is "a critical piece to managing sales" and is a "far more efficient piece of software than Outlook". His boss tends to side with him because "it's critical that he's able to work as fast and efficiently as possible" even though he's sales, in a not very fast paced environment, where the difference in performance is probably a few seconds of time overall. His only real job is to send out quotes, that take days/weeks to sometimes come together. Nothing is sensitive down to the millisecond.

It's fine if he prefers Apple but let's reel in the aggrandizing of a lovely mail app.

Also they spent $1600 on a Mac Mini that has 8 gigs of ram, when they could have bought a laptop or equivalent PC for a few hundred less that performs better, he's just a Apple r*tard.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 26, 2021

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Cum Galleon posted:

One of our marketing guys has a MacBook and refuses to install 'micro$oft poo poo' so has to access everything via the office web portal (that doesn't count as Microsoft apparently).

I've given up arguing with him and just refer him to a random person to go and rant at. He sent our CTO an email referring to MFA as 'needy bullshit' which I quite enjoyed.

I wish I could send this guy somewhere else but we're a small company and I'm kind of it.

It's funny though as he's saying Apple mail is critical to his process and has been for the last 4 years and he'd be less efficient if he had to change now, which is him completely ignoring the fact that he's been using unsupported software for 4 years and now if it breaks it's someone else's fault. His old mac had Office 365 on it too, I honestly didn't know he wasn't using it.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yep my bad, ate a probation for it.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

poisonpill posted:

Anyone else here have some boomer bosses that whip themselves up into a frenzy about WFH andhow we need to get back into the office every few weeks?

I'm not a boomer and don't really care if people come back, but I am annoyed that all of our people that work from home probably do less than 2 hours of work per day. But that's a person thing not a WFH thing.

I work at somewhat of a factory, and we've been working here the whole time, except the upstairs admin staff (basically sales and HR), who all work from home now. When covid started, all those admin people were part of the main phone tree. When they all left, even though they're able to answer their phones at home as well, guess what? Nobody did, and it eventually fell to me.

So I was doing my normal job of managing a department, IT, phones, and now answering about 70% of the calls to the main line of our office.

I had customers calling the main line looking for sales, and I'd start to direct them to the sales guy for that part of the company (Apple dipshit from my previous post), and the customer would say they've been trying to get ahold of him for weeks with no answers, could they please deal with anyone else but him. So I just started forwarding them all directly to his boss instead.

Maybe I'm just bitter that there are plenty of people here still that haven't missed a day at all to keep this company actually productive so we all have jobs but every time I have to call a sales person they're doing literally anything but working.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We had a meeting to decide which shared network drive we would use to store files for an upcoming project, as a director thought using the P:Drive was low status as P is far back in the alphabet. So I needed to explain why the A:Drive was not an option. Then why the B:Drive wouldn't work... then the C:Drive...

Funny enough, our company files are all on P. I don't know why, it predates me by quite a bit.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

Generally the drug policies are set by the national office of any particular company and are written so as not to discriminate against different "classes" of employees. People handling equipment or working in the field may get tested sometimes and office employees may never see a test beyond the one they have to do when first hired. Every job I've ever had stipulates that they can test you at random. I have never actually seen someone get tested after being hired, and I know a few people who got to do a post-hire drug test after having a "false positive" on their entry test.

The only time I could see a company trying to randomly test you would be if they were trying to find grounds to fire you. Usually even that is going to be an extra step to get rid of someone.

The company I work for did monthly random drug testing, pre-covid anyway. In the 5+ years I've worked here I've been pulled maybe 3 or 4 times. We are a factory, and the "downstairs" people (production, electrical, quality control, etc) are subjected to testing. The "upstairs" admin people (front desk, sales, couple of engineers, the owner, HR, some managers that don't do much hands on) are exempt from the pool and probably didn't even have to have to drug test to get hired.

If you piss hot, you now get suspended for a few days and are subjected to tests for the next 3 months at your own cost. They stopped firing people for weed though after they lost a few good employees.

We also had a pretty reliable, solid guy doing prep work for us that got random tested and then pretty much just walked out of the building and never came back because he knew he was going to fail it. Meth, apparently.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

titty_baby_ posted:

I actually checked again and the low end would be a 10% increase, the high 40%. I know they're desperate and the positions been open for months and the status of their govt funding for the program is dependant on it. Ive heard the previously guy was under a lot of pressure, constantly stressed out, and was shitcanned for possibly political reasons. I honestly am not the most passionate nor competent nor experienced person to justify the top end and I doubt they'd give it to me with my 1.5 years of experience and degree.

The sooner you realize how many people at every job are severely unqualified for what they do, or were at the time of hiring but got the training to actually be good at it, you'll be better off.

Nothing wrong with trying, anyway.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Somehow almost everybody at my job is scheduled to get the second dose of the Covid vaccine today. Which means almost everybody is planning on calling in sick tomorrow because we're almost certainly going to feel like poo poo.

A few people have refused to get vaccinated but I don't even know what to say to someone like that at this point. Maybe in a few months when we're all still alive, don't have autism, and aren't passing microchips like they were kidney stones, these people will schedule themselves for a shot.

Our financial guy at work has been at home since all of this started but comes in once every 2 weeks on like Wednesday or Thursday afternoon to do payroll because he's less distracted here than at home I guess.

Pretty early on when everyone was wearing masks and it was a write up if you didn't, he refused, and his argument was that he was going straight to his office and keeping the door shut, etc.

He called last week about a tech issue but once I fixed that we were just chatting and I mentioned that I got my first dose and to keep an eye on the Walgreens website because they were starting to become available in my area. "Oh, I don't think I'm getting that, we don't know the long term ramifications". My wife is a microbiologist and I've also done some reading so I explain the mRNA thing and also how my dad has had the vaccine since September since he was in the study for it and he hasn't sprouted two heads or anything. "Well I just don't think we should be messing with nature like that". Ok buddy, whatever.

Huge Trump guy, surprise.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

titty_baby_ posted:

Tell him to forgoe all vaccines and medications and medicine of any kind, and to lick doorknobs

Yeah. He's a somewhat nice but extremely difficult guy. It just wasn't worth the discussion.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

I am starting my new role on Monday.

When I told my boss 2 weeks ago I was leaving, she didn't sound happy and "it is sudden and we're losing an experienced person", but then she said she's happy for me...

It wasn't sudden, for the last few years at each meeting I've been banging on about inappropriate pay, upward mobility etc, but no actual useful action was taken. If my constant refrain was "pay me more", and they didn't, what did they expect would happen?

I am, I think, the fifth person to leave the team in about as many months. For exactly the same reason.

I had to actually take another job and submit my 2 weeks to get a legitimate pay increase. My boss was perfectly happy to inch my pay up year by year. When I put in my 2 week notice all of a sudden he throws a 25% raise and profit sharing to keep me in place.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Your boss is considering binning you the next chance he gets, they hate doing this poo poo and now consider you "disloyal". I suggest you look for a new role regardless, with a bump over that 25%!

That was in 2019. That's not to say that I'm not ever replaceable, but no, he can't just find someone to do all the poo poo I do.

I've gotten two raises since then.

This isn't some huge corporate environment and my job isn't one that just anyone with a bit of training can do, so I have some leverage.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

When I started working here almost 6 years ago, the company was owned by two brothers. Things seemed fine for a while and then issues crept in to the point where eventually they hated each other and would never even be in the same room. They had a very out in the open screaming fight in front of the building one day during break time, so literally half the employees outside at the time.

Over time, things got worse, they each had their "camps" of employees and useless as gently caress people that they protected. If you were neutral (like me) you sometimes would get put in some lovely situations. One brother asked me to spy on the wife of the other brother, because she's on payroll as sales but "works from home". To be fair, she literally doesn't do anything and probably gets paid more than me, but that's none of my business so I just told him it wasn't possible.

This past fall, one brother bought the other out and is now the sole owner. This is totally fine with me, I had no loyalty to either. However, the brother that got bought out is the one who hired me, and when I accepted a job at a difference place a few years ago went above and beyond to keep me here, including adding me to a profit sharing bucket above most of what other managers got, to the point that I made over 10k on it last year. When he was bought out, all profit sharing went away and we haven't heard a word about it.

The positive:

Owner looked at the profit sharing, decided it was unfair, and restructured it so that any employee tenured over 2 years now gets a share, and then it depends on what level of employee you are (employee, manager, etc) and your pay rate.

So yes, this is going to mean I definitely lose money. But I got to tell me employees that they're all qualified and it will be on their upcoming check this Friday, so that's cool with me.

We're going from roughly 10 people to like 42 people in the group, but at least it gives people some feeling like they have a stake in things.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Local Weather posted:

Oh god yeah when I left my job in 2014 it was after years of the company getting more and more customer and business with us getting no raises. The owner and his wife were really upset and kind of baffled that I was leaving. The wife asked my why and I told her I was getting a $30,000 raise by leaving and she was dumbstruck and actually had the nerve to say "wait this is about money?"

I mean yeah, poo poo I had been asking for a raise for two years and was told pretty directly that no one was getting a raise ever. Not too motivational.

I accepted a job at another company back in the summer of 2019. It wasn't more money but the job was interesting, I was going to get to learn some new tech (radar systems, new to me anyway), and it was a government military contractor.

When I told my boss, he didn't even make me a counter offer, so I figured that was that. A few days before I was to leave I sent him a message asking him what he thought a package to keep me might look like, and he said something to the effect of "oh, you'll stay if we pay you more? I didn't know it was about money." Motherfucker, it's always about money.

It worked out because I got a 25% raise and profit sharing. Other company still contacted me like 6 months later even though I kind of burned them at the last second, but they couldn't come close to what I make now.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Gin_Rummy posted:

I can share from personal experience that "other company" sucks balls to work for, so you dodged a bullet too.

Have you worked for them or have a good idea who I'm referring to? Honestly seemed like they had their poo poo together and i know people there. They just have very static levels of pay for certain jobs.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Gin_Rummy posted:

If its the one I am thinking of, who I might possibly work for, certain areas have their poo poo together while others don't. Like most jobs, it comes down to the specific program and/or boss you have. Both of mine suck.

EDIT: Also if you order something today, expect to see it in six months at the earliest.

If it's 3 letters its probably the same place then.

Yeah I don't know, I was going to start out installing the systems in vehicles and then move up to a radar tech and then beyond in a somewhat short timeline. They had it all laid out pre getting hired, but then I bailed on the job the Friday before I was supposed to start.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Somfin posted:

The impact of a significant pay increase cannot be overstated. Like, if you were just making ends meet, now you've got leeway, and if you were running out your paychecks, now you can't do that as easily without finding new expensive hobbies. It is a phenomenal mood boost day to day.

My new job doesn't have my old job's three hundred dollar "wellness allowance" (money your boss can say no to giving you if they disagree with what you're spending it on) or its work related costs claims system (see above) or its free printing (actually good), it just pays a thousand dollars more per month. I've started getting into board games and I'd have to buy a lot of them before I started to hit my old work's pay baseline.

"Money won't make you happy" is a lie rich people tell poor people because they know the poor people aren't happy.

Absolutely.

When I accepted a job at another company and my boss at my current company came over the top with a 25% raise and profit sharing just to keep me, I went from socking a little bit of money away to finally actually building a stockpile that I refuse to dip into.

I really need to actually get with a financial planner to make this money do some work for me.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

They just reworked our COVID policy at work for a positive COVID test.

If you're vaccinated you get paid for up to 7 days, if you're unvaccinated you only get 3 days.

Hope this gets people to get the jab around here but it probably won't.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Sounds like fantastic incentive for the unvaccinated infected to drag themselves back to work that much sooner

They have to have a clean covid test and then its 5 or 10 days after before they can return to work, so that's helpful at least.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Armauk posted:

Who is saying this?

I hear tons of boomers saying "people just don't want to work these days". Like, I hear it on a daily basis.

Also the unvaccinated front desk girl here who caught covid over Thanksgiving returned to the office today. I asked her how it was, she said for the first week it felt like she was dying, but never went to the hospital. Asked her if she's going to get the shot now, she confirmed that she is.

Another "it's not real unless it happens to me" idiot.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

star eater posted:

Don't forget of all our offices, we requisition the worst and lowest cost laptops, for what, 200 dollar savings per employee? And people are using old as gently caress computers in some cases, like up to 6-7 years old. The only reason some people are even using "newer" computers is because their old ones couldn't run Windows 10. The horror stories I hear from the migration from 7 to 10... and soon, 10 to 11 lmao. I heard we are estimated that we'll have to replace 75% of all our computers. Lol.

The whole discussion about companies or execs being penny wise but a pound foolish describes my branch to a loving letter. We'll spend thousands of dollars on payroll to save a couple hundred bucks on equipment, not realizing that poo poo adds up so fast in terms of productivity and efficiency. They'd rather spend money on waiting for poo poo to happen than to see actual progress.

When I started taking over IT duties here at work about 5 years ago, one of the first things I had to do was order a replacement laptop for someone, so I asked my boss (one of the owners at the time) what the budget was.

"Oh, 200-250, somewhere in there?"

I explained that at that price point the only thing we were going to get was lovely laptops or maybe slightly better refurbished ones (thank god I have a microcenter local), and that we would just be replacing them in a year or two.

Over the last 5 years I've somehow managed to bring him over to my way of thinking so pretty much now as long as I don't go too crazy I can grab whatever I want. No more buying a $250 laptop with 4 gigs of ram and integrated graphics for someone that needs to run Fusion360 or Solidworks.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

~Coxy posted:

How is the customer meant to know that your restaurant has a real pastry chef versus just buying garbage that's been sitting in a fridge for 72 hours?
But I agree that they can charge "cakeage".

Well I think in some cases it's also a health risk/violation for the restaurant. As a restaurant they are responsible for whatever food gets eaten there. If you bring in something from somewhere else and get sick from it, it still looks bad on the restaurant.

Plus it's just a super dick move to bring outside food to a restaurant.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

star eater posted:

No vacation accrual for a year? lmfao

My first job when I switched careers, I didn't get any paid time off either, or sick leave. Really awesome with a 1 year old at the time. I took it, just to get my foot in the door, and left at exactly one year and got the job I'm at now where I've been since 2015.

When the owner of the previous company sat me down for a meeting trying to keep me, I cited having no time off the first year as one of the reasons I was fed up with the place.

"What? You got paid time off this past year, we don't have that rule"
"Well you go better talk to <his ex wife who handled HR AND payroll> because any day I took off was unpaid"

That place was a nightmare for a variety of reasons but that was one of them. And yeah, small business vibes. Last time I checked, the owner still hates my guts for leaving after a year because he "took a chance" on me.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well he never talked to HR/payroll directly, it was his ex wife and he hated her.

It happened before my time there, but basically.

Two owners (Tom, Bill) that were good friends running different sides of the business. Wife of Tom worked there as HR/Payroll/Front Desk. She cheats on him with someone, he fires her because he can't stand to look at her anymore. About a year later, Bill hires her back to her old role, for ?reasons?. That place was all sorts of dysfunctional. An employee hung himself in the rafters of one of the storage warehouses. Another guy living in one of the warehouses went off his rocker and stole a police car/lead them on a high speed chase, etc. Tom was a hoarder, so it was nearly impossible to walk in the place. I'd clear off my workbench to work on something and by the time I got back it was full of poo poo again.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

Holy gently caress, a 2.5% mortgage. My wife and I considered buying the house we're trying to purchase outright because we were offered a 6%. Apparently buying a house straight cash is considered super sketchy.

I have 2.65%, we refinanced in July of 2020.

Purchased in 2009, 30 year mortgage at 5%. Then I stupidly just never messed with it until I kept hearing how low rates were and how stupid it would be to not refinance, so I looked into it.

Went from a 30 year to at 15 year and 5% to 2.65%. It's going to save me quite a bit of money (about $55k) if I were to stay here and just pay the house off, but we plan to move in 3-5 years assuming things don't just go completely rear end up between now and then. We COULD buy a house now but why take on more expense and a higher interest rate when we don't have to. We live well below our means so just paying the house down and stockpiling money is fine for a few years.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

goatface posted:

Not really my work, but I'm looking at it: Circuit diagram with >50 components produced in tyool 2022 in the UK by a high tech, established company. All specific values present, all chips numbered, every voltage in and out for every chip, op amp etc. individually labelled despite them all being 5V.

Hand drawn in pen on a sheet of printer paper, notes in lovely handwriting and all, then photographed and submitted as working copy.

My boss has had idea for hvac piping that are sketched out on a piece of foam, the top of a pizza box, and on a napkin. To his credit he does hand it over to engineering for someone to then draw it up in solidworks before giving it to a customer, but the foam one in particular hung around for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

3 separate ideas, or did he tape the bits together?

3 separate, these are just the famous ones.

Like 8 months ago, he walked through my area (quality control, where I test things to make sure they meet customer spec before they go out) and casually mentioned that he had an idea for these ports that we would add to every chamber we build, and we could hook any optional thing that the customer wanted to it with just small modifications. He was talking to myself and the production manager. Ok, sounds cool, we should get some of us together, have a meeting to figure out how to pull it off, test it, all that fun stuff, right? Nope.

After he mentioned that, he went straight upstairs and told the head of sales that every product we sell will now have this idea. He didn't tell myself or the production manager, it was just an off the cuff comment to us.

Sales has been apparently promising this option to customers with no knowledge to anyone else in the rest of the company, least of all the people that actually like..build the product. We've already had one customer now asking why these ports weren't installed.

It's neat.