Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome
I worked for an international division of a big American company from 2016 until I was laid off last year. Its the kind of company that looks great on your CV but in reality it was a nightmare shitshow of almost unbelievable bureaucracy to get even the simplest things done. They had this "gated approval" system that was the same for little BI software system as it was for an aircraft, communication satellite, or laser-guided bomb.

This process involved getting 26 signatures from various people across the entire corporation. These are people who at best don't have any idea who you are and what your project is who give you a signature with a 5 minute phone call all the way to people who want you to perform a whole readiness project that takes a couple months all on it's own just to give you a signature. It usually took somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 months to get all the approvals and even then towards the end you always had something missing. There was never a scenario, no matter how early you started, that you were completely ready and in the clear when the deadline came. And then the deadlines, totally artificial. You would set an optimistic date and start groveling around for these signatures and if you got too close to the date without being ready you were allowed ONE reset. This was completely arbitrary as there was no reason why you couldn't just reset it indefinitely but you would get in all kinds of poo poo for pushing it back more than once.

Possibly the most horrific thing about the whole process is that it changed every time you had to go through it. I pushed a system through in mid-2018, then another through in early 2019 and another in 2020 and it was actually significantly different each time. It was so insane that I still have a hard time believing this is a company that actually works and makes money. There are people who work there who's only job is maintaining checklists for idiotic processes like this. Imagine that being your job, a corporate check-list checker.

No project that I worked on in my 4.5 years there ever went to market, no one ever used anything my dev teams built. I probably spent 2-3 million dollars developing two systems there and they were never used.

I was laid off in 2020 and it was terrifying to try to find a job during the pandemic but in the end I'm glad to be out from under that behemoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

It was more like

Project lead: Alright Jim, I need you to review the specs and then submit your recommendations in to the combined report.
Jim: No.
PL: Uh, yes. I need it by the end of tomorrow.
Jim: I don't want to.
PL: ...too bad? It's your responsibility.
Jim: Too bad for you. I'm not doing it.
*Jim logs off for the rest of the day*

I'm shocked they kept him around for about six months.

This is shocking to Americans but I've seen my Dutch co-workers tell the boss flat-out "no, we're not doing that" on multiple occasions. The first time I ever saw it happen my jaw dropped. Now I'm way more used to it and totally into it.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

I have to say after an all-hands meeting yesterday I am really, actually impressed with the company I work for now. After working 11 years for a company that never gave raises and 5 years for an insane, ultra-Kafkaesque bureaucratic nightmare company, I am now working somewhere sensible that seems to actually care about what the employees think. I'm having a hard time actually admitting it, like if I say something it will go away.

In any case, they told use that there will be no required return to office. Unlike a lot of companies that said that a while back then went back on it, they're serious. We can work from anywhere we can get an internet connection as long as they can legally handle the tax situation. At first I was ready for a permanent return to office but now I think I"m ready to embrace working from my little home office, at least I can play Hearthstone and gently caress around on the internet here without anyone giving me poo poo about it.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

Switched to a new company wide site for time-keeping that.... Takes over five minutes to even log in because everything about it runs like dog poo poo. Nice.

At my last job they went through this whole big project to implement a corporate-wide timekeeping system, told everyone the old systems were done and going away, had a big kickoff only to have the system be super slow, horrible, and unresponsive to everyone outside of the US (which was a non-trivial number of people). They tried to make us use it but people just ignored it and kept using the old systems until they finally had to go back to the drawing board. When I was laid off they still didn't have an answer after over two years.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I once got an apologetic letter offering me a raise, an office, and an assistant if I came back.

I didn't go back.

Oh god yeah when I left my job in 2014 it was after years of the company getting more and more customer and business with us getting no raises. The owner and his wife were really upset and kind of baffled that I was leaving. The wife asked my why and I told her I was getting a $30,000 raise by leaving and she was dumbstruck and actually had the nerve to say "wait this is about money?"

I mean yeah, poo poo I had been asking for a raise for two years and was told pretty directly that no one was getting a raise ever. Not too motivational.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Slotducks posted:

It's a pretty famous anecdote that Enron had stock price shown loving everywhere throughout all their offices and when stock was up it was like everyone was on cocaine, but when it dipped a black cloud of despair destroyed all productivity and morale. All this on a minute to minute update schedule

Back in the 2000's I was a software vendor to Delta Air Lines. I was in their offices one week doing training and during a session I noticed everyone was distracted and really looking pretty down. Finally one of them says "sorry if we seem depressed, we're all watching out stock price drop %75 since you've been talking to us" (they were approaching their eventual bankruptcy).

Spatial posted:

Here's something messed up: I know people in my company who haven't had their work reach the real world in literally years because management keeps cancelling projects so they can start new projects with higher profitability. Which are then cancelled again, in a loop. For one team this cycle has continued for four years straight. One time the project was cancelled two days before the release date!

Imagine the impact this has on morale lol. Why even bother doing anything right? It'll never see the light of day anyway.

At my last job I was there almost 5 years and nothing I worked on with my dev teams ever saw a customer. Various reasons but they all basically come down to bureaucracy and poor management. It was horribly demoralizing especially to the devs, no one wants to feel like their work is being throw into a black hole.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

mllaneza posted:

It's weird, I think my current place does care. We've moved up double digit places on the Forbes Top 100 Place To Work survey just in the two that came out since I became an FTE. Whatever they're putting in the company Kool Aide seems to be working.

It was really creepy for the first six months or so on campus. everyone was so nice. I was starting to worry, "Is this a cult ?" It's uncanny still, but I've gotten used to just accepting that anyone I have to deal with will be well-adjusted, a team player, and interested in the success of the organization as a whole and its patients. Any time I meet someone from HR or Recruiting I make a point of telling them that however they're screening for culture fit, it's working.

My current job is like this. I like it so much that I'm afraid to actually admit it just in case it turns out to be secretly terrible.

Here is what I love about it:

My boss is in the US, I am in Amsterdam. Although he doesn't seem like a micromanager, the time difference keeps us comfortably separated.
No weekly status meetings - the management team knows how to use all the same software that we use to track everything so they can get their own status reports. I don't have to waste time every week preparing a powerpoint deck for a pointless, stressful meeting.
I work on internal products so there's no pressure to sell
My team is self-contained and largely self managing, we do a good job and people leave us alone.
I've never set foot in the office

It's going on 8 months and I'm still having a good time. I'll wait for a year before I make my final judgement but so far so good.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Mzuri posted:

When I suspected that no-one was reading my 4-slide monthly reports to just below C-level at a previous job, I started replacing the only link in the report (to a "key" dashboard I'd been asked to urgently!!! set up) with a Rick roll link.

A year later when I switched jobs I hadn't heard a peep. For all I know my replacement is still sending it out 5 years on.

Years ago I was a delivery driver/warehouse worker for a home health company. We had to fill out these extensive, detailed self-evaluations every year and then everyone in the warehouse got 3% raise anyway. The third year I was there I put in my evaluation statements like "I am the greatest delivery driver this company has ever seen" and "the whole department would collapse without me" and the like.

Not a peep from management and the customary 3% raise. Did the same thing the 4th year I was there for the same effect.

That being said, getting paid the same and getting the same raises as an actual illiterate adult made me go back to school at 29 years old to better myself.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Rotten posted:

I once worked for a parks and rec crew doing maintenance. A lady who I worked with got a DUI on her lunch break and didn't get fired.
Another time she was on the big mower on a softball field, parked it halfway through the job, and promptly passed out, in the middle of the day.

I am pathologically opposed to most forms of authority so I really don't like the concept of reporting someone or telling management or anything like that. When I was a delivery driver there was a new hire who tested me to my very limits, he was kind of an rear end in a top hat to begin with, just a little arrogant and loud. He was hired at the end of the year so when the new year started he proceeded to use all of his PTO days before the end of February, I'm not sure why but this really bothered me. One day he came in so drunk that you could easily smell it and that was enough. He's one of the only co-workers I've ever ratted out and I wasn't sad about it at all.

He did end up getting fired a few days later, I think I was the push but not the final cause.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I had a coworker that combined those two elements, not spiteful but possessed zero skills and once when I was unfortunate enough to be paired with them on a project I did my work and shared the folder and they deleted it in an unrecoverable way within a minute. Generally spent all day reading online newspapers. Definitely worse than having no one at all as this ate up headcount and it was demoralizing to new employees to gradually learn someone on their team does nothing but won't be kicked out.

One of my old bosses was a pretty nice, charitable guy. One day this old (older than boomer I think) retired engineer from some defense/aerospace company in the DFW area came in and asked if there was anything he could do around the office. My boss made a sort of busy-work assistant position for him to do things that were not the best use of time for the rest of us (software devs, sales, support, etc.). He was fine with that for a few weeks but he soon tired of being the gopher and started trying to tell us how to do things around the office even going as far as suggesting new names for the products and just inserting himself into all kind of situations. We tried to tell him to back off but he evidently thought he was some senior director at Lockheed or some poo poo again and just got really arrogant and ugly with us. Thankfully my boss fired him after a month or so.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Smik posted:

Is there really that much distribution of stupid in the world?

The first law of stupidity states:

"Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation."

You can read the rest here: Laws of Stupidity

And as far as interviews go, the job I am currently working had me do 8 different calls with around 17 people total but I forgive them because it's been a really nice company to work for so far.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Enfys posted:

They don't need to hire actual people to monitor you. Many of these spy programs have various AI built into them that will automatically flag anomalies, then managers get reports on how many flags each staff member has each day.

So call centre AI will listen to calls and flag calls where the operator used/didn't use certain words, or where their vocal patterns aren't positive/cheerful enough.

The ones that use the webcams will have facial recognition software that just flags when your face leaves the screen or even if a different face appears.

Of course managers can choose to review the records to see if they make sense, but they are also overworked and have their own metrics to meet... or you can farm it out to India where you can have a single operator responsible for a huge bank of [x] users who are meant to check what the AI flags to verify that they are legit but in practice they're poorly paid and overworked in bad conditions and do not care at all if some random person across the world gets disciplined for idle time because the facial recognition AI kept getting confused by the reflection of their face in the window or by the afternoon sun, or the microphone picked up the sound of birds in the morning and assumed it was people chatting with you.

There's just heaps of this stuff and more products being marketed as the time now. It's incredibly invasive and incredibly creepy and do your best to never work for a company that uses any of it.

Back last year when I was looking for a job a company called "Ignite" kept popping up in the job listings claiming to pay $100,000 a year for a product manager type position. The only catch seemed to be that you had to work eastern time hours no matter where you are. I went ahead and applied and started this extremely complex interview process with IQ tests and all kinds of poo poo. Finally they were like "make a feature rollout plan and present it in a short video with ppt". Before I took this step I decided to investigate a little further and it turns out that this company is one of those that completely monitors you and your laptop the whole time you're on it. Like screenshots every few minutes, cam always on and making sure you're looking at the screen, and who knows what else. I immediately shitcanned that application process and went about my day.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Son of Rodney posted:

On the topic of diversity, a friend works at an IT company that is relatively diverse. She's from Russia, there's people working from more than 10 different nationalities, we're in Germany. They recently decided to take diversity more serious and appointed a diversity manager to, you know, improve how it's handled in the company.

Now who of the many diverse people in the company do you think they chose to fill this Position?

A: any of the International employees who've come to Germany in the last years?
B: any of the people with immigrant parents who grew up here experiencing life as a second generation immigrant?
C: an outside applicant with first hand experience on diversity and ideally a diverse background?

If you've guessed D (for Deutschland): a white, blonde, middle aged woman who works there and said at the first meeting "this is my first time in a position like this so let's see what we can do!" then you are correct! My friend is very optimistic about this :)

I didn't really care for my last job but one thing that I really loved about it was the fact that I worked in an office with people from all over Europe. It was like working at the UN. I was the only American in the office and that was really humbling. I try to be low key and open minded but my colleagues really forced me to understand a lot of things about the world that Americans are sort of aware of or not aware of at all. Honestly it changed my whole perspective of how the world views the US and gave me a lot of insight into things that I previously knew nothing about.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Like what

A lot of what we're brought up with (America is the greatest country in the world on repeat every loving day) is actually harmful and weird.

American gun laws are completely insane.

America is not seen as the good guy and hasn't been for quite some time. That being said, Americans aren't as hated overseas as people think, but we're kind of arrogant (it's beaten into us, see the first point) and sometimes we say things that sound really bad without realizing it. Like, when someone tells you what country their from, don't bust out the map app to see where it is, that can be seen as insulting. They all know where you're from, look up the obscure former SSRs later.

American diplomacy includes things that most of us are completely in the dark about. When the previous administration gutted the State Department they had no idea, like most Americans, of the lasting harm they're doing. Our embassies in a lot of countries have a lot of influence, more than it's ever admitted in the media. My old boss got a full scholarship to an Oxford MBA from the US government through some aid program.

America is rich. You might not think it's rich because of your own personal situation but just watch TV for a while and see what is advertised then watch TV in a foreign country and see what is advertised. Big difference. I was talking to my old tech lead about how tough it was living on minimum wage while I was in my early 20's, she tells me about her early 20's where her country's government completely collapsed and they didn't even have a currency for a few years.

It's just an adjustment of attitude. Being the outsider/foreigner isn't something most white Americans get to experience, you have to learn how to navigate it.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Tarkus posted:

Tangentially related since I've seen a bunch of people on Linkedin who got fired/laid off try to put a nice spin on everything on their feed and gush about their former company. It always makes me cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE9bFLKvhK4

Last year when the company I worked for was doing involuntary layoffs there was a wave of the most nauseating bullshit garbage on LinkedIn from people who had been fired. Being a part of that group myself it made me physically ill to read some of the messages about how great the company was and all the good times and what a privilege it had been to work there...unbelievable. I was actually pretty angry and upset about being fired but maybe I just didn't appreciate the great sacrifice the worlds largest commercial aviation and defense company was making by firing me and 3 other people in my department for the good of the company.

I didn't quit, I wasn't going to write some lovely email to everyone, I was fired and I went and packed my desk up and went home. One of my colleagues who's still employed there was telling me a few weeks ago that people who had been told they were being released WERE STILL COMING TO MEETINGS. Where are their spines? When did Americans completely bend over for our corporate overlords?

And while we're on the subject, LinkedIn is the largest source of cringy, newsfeed garbage that social media has ever seen. I'm not at all sure why anyone posts the trash that they post on there.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Lmao I’m always shocked the number of broken employment laws people write into contracts

I saw one independent contractor agreement that paid less than min wage, included a non compete, and basically failed all the tests for IC versus employee. I found out about it when they sued their ex-totally-not-an-employee to enforce the non compete.

They were not successful.

Working in the Netherlands for a Dutch company was the first time in my entire working life that I ever had an actual employment contract. I had no idea of the value of such a thing until the company laid us off and technically had to break the contract. I realized after the whole process was over that Americans either never had or have given away anything to protect employees.

The fact that I got as a legally mandatory part of being fired a lawyer paid for by the company to aid in the negotiation of breaking the contract was shocking to me. The laywer I hired found a couple of lovely things the company did that were against Dutch labor law and got me extra money and time so that she wouldn't force the company into labor court. It worked out really well and I came out way ahead not only cash wise but I work for a way better company now.

On the US side, you're fired, you have two weeks, here's a week's pay for every year, good luck.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Somfin posted:

The impact of a significant pay increase cannot be overstated. Like, if you were just making ends meet, now you've got leeway, and if you were running out your paychecks, now you can't do that as easily without finding new expensive hobbies. It is a phenomenal mood boost day to day.

That being said, I switched jobs last year and actually had to take a pay cut of about €500 per month. Then to compound that, my big foreigner tax break for living in the Netherlands ran out and that was another €500 or so gone. At first this was quite a hit but I'm so much happier and satisfied with my new job that I think it was worth it. I still make enough money to afford my house and everything, we just had to cut down on frivolities and maybe not have as big of a vacation but still totally worth it. I expect to get a bonus and a raise this year so it will slowly catch back up.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Imagined posted:

Yeah, but I'm a 41 year old with an associate's degree in liberal arts. My previous job was the night shift at 7-Eleven. I'm constantly and daily aware that I basically won the lottery to even have a 9-to-5, M-F office job that provides health insurance for my entire family. I'm always one bad week away from being back in service industry hell, and I never forget that.

Man I know this feeling. When I first started working for a software company my previous job had been a warehouse order picker/delivery driver making 10 bux an hour and I miraculously found myself making double that with benefits in a 9-5 office job. I remember for years just thinking "3 to 5 years, if I can just go 3 to 5 years here, I'll never have to go back."

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Spatule posted:

If you are going to live in another country for the foreseeable future and after 5 years can't speak the local language beyond "good dog bad dog no poop!", you're either incredibly lazy, or mentally challenged. I'd love to hear another explanation.

I'm just going to add my two cents to this having lived in a foreign country for five years as of May of this year.

Learning a new language to the point of being able to have a conversation in public with a stranger is difficult. And some languages and countries are way more difficult than others just due to the fact that their speakers never hear anyone speak a bad version of their language so they don't understand it with your lovely accent. The Dutch will listen to me say something in my mangled Dutch accent and they immediately switch to English, why waste time?

I know a lot of foreigners here, some have lived here for decades, the ones who speak passable Dutch is under 50%.

In any case, learning, understanding, and using a new language is one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do. There's nothing trivial or easy about it. I'm thankful every day that my job and life here doesn't depend on me speaking Dutch.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

If this was the case you would 100% be speaking perfect Dutch by now.

Probably. Thankfully Dutch people are happy to speak English rather than hear me maul their language.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Volmarias posted:

People were, and in fact some still sure, like this with seatbelts. The big talking point was saying that you would be "hurled free" of the accident, ignoring the parts that will happen outside the vehicle and you shattering the windshield with your face.

I think seatbelts were made mandatory where I lived sometime in the late 80's and there was all kind of crap talk about why you shouldn't wear seatbelts etc. I knew some of the "thown clear" people but oddly enough I also went to high school with a guy who was thrown clear and the car loving landed on him and he was a twisted mess in a wheelchair so that line of reasoning didn't really fly with me.

Sort of like arguing against motorcycle helmet laws when Gary Busey exists.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Not from my company but I got this email today:

"Hi Local Weather,

We know that Subscriber Experience is not only defined by the user interface, but also by the end-to-end orchestration of the underlying processes. Disjointed systems across the order-to-revenue lifecycle cannot scale and deliver seamless, adaptive experiences. Is that something you're running into today?"

It seems like someone wrote a simple sentence and then grabbed the Big Book of Business Buzzwords and replaced every normal word with something exciting. The only thing it's missing is "synergize".

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

bad sugarpop habit posted:

after twelve years with my company, my boss's boss's boss helpfully informed me two weeks ago that i would be laid off in august. he said it was because i was switching between too many roles and different product deployments on projects - neither of which i have any control over in the slightest, which he knows - and that my "performance just wasn't up to snuff", despite several years of stellar annual reviews and receiving glowing and thankful emails from high-level executives from a household-name-famous client i'd delivered a project to at 2am the night before literally during the call i was having with him. the truth of the matter is that the entire company has been moving towards a business model that doesn't really require my position, and more than anything i was loving insulted that he tried to push it back on me

two days ago my boss asked me to do a project for another super household name organization and after working with the guy for like five years i can't figure out if he just is totally unaware of the conversations i've had with his boss and his boss's boss or if he's just loving terminally stupid or what, like what possible motivation could i possibly have at this point even if this was a mildly interesting project

Last year I found out I was going to be laid off but no one was supposed to know so I had the unenviable task of "working" for over two months knowing that I was going to be let go around the beginning of August. It was mentally one of the most violent acts I've ever had perpetrated against me, I could hardly stand to get out of bed in the morning and got drunk frequently. When they finally did fire us I don't know if I've ever been more relieved.

I've heard that there are people that know they're being laid off officially that keep going to meetings and such, I don't understand why anyone would do that.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

Why did you comply? They either needed you till August or not.

champagne posting posted:

Sounds like they gave you the ultimate peace of mind. You know you're going out, so why bother doing any effort at all. Two whole months of resume polishing right there on a silver platter.

I felt like they were holding a substantial severance pay over my head if I were to just stop doing anything they could have had the case that I was not performing and exclude me from the actual lay-off procedure and just fire me for being a bad worker.

All that being said, I participated minimally and mostly for the benefit of my colleagues rather than management. The way I knew I was being laid off was that I was a part of an employee representative council and I had to make sure that the people being laid off were treated fairly and not screwed over. From the information we were given I was able to glean the identities of most of the people being let go and warn them well ahead of time.

And yeah don't think I wasn't looking for a job immediately when I knew my head was on the block. I even did an interview from the office (it was empty except for me due to COVID).

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Barudak posted:

I had employees asking about our upcoming product and its features and if they'd get training on it since nothing was announced. I contacted the team responsible and they got real coy with me so I threatened to escalate until they revealed there would be a surprise mandatory meeting that would cover all of this but not to tell anyone, even the people who were asking, because it was supposed to be a surprise.

So I immediately told my team and department because thats loving stupid.

The only surprise I want from work is if they somehow announce we're getting some money or a prize. Everything needs to be normal and official. Surprises are for children not for people who have to manage their lives.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Crackbone posted:

IME, if a business has been around for more than a few years but is still less than ~25 employees, run screaming. Those are the places where they found a profitable niche but the people running it are so toxic/stupid they can't grow any bigger.

I started working at a company in 2003 that had been in business since 1992. They had 7 big customers that paid enough to keep the 5-6 employees paid. When I started I thought I was getting in on the ground floor of something big but it turns out the owner of the company didn't have the business smarts to grow the business. That's why they only had 7 customers after 11 years. The owner was a mathematical genius and I don't say that lightly, the guy was brilliant when it came to algorithms and the math behind them but he had a little Dunning-Kruger when it came to how to run the business, he thought he knew what he was doing but it turns out he really didn't.

When I left the company we had moved up to 21 customers by brute force but I think we could have actually had more if the owner would have just hired a business manager who know what they were doing.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

are bonuses an American thing? sounds like a really tricky cheap way to screw over your workforce by having a "bonus" that you may or may not get but was probably taken from your original salary package.

At one company the boss used bonuses as the reason why we weren't given raises. He would keep our salaries the same but then supplement with bonuses. Now, when the bonuses were good this was all fine and dandy but when the bonuses were bad, as in making less money this year than I did the year before, then it sucked. When we went into a couple-year period where our bonuses were low or non-existent it really broke the morale of the team and the boss didn't seem to realize why.

Everywhere else I have ever worked that gave out bonuses they were tied to your performance or the companies performance and the amount was determined by your contract or some other pre-determined thing. Like right now I have the ability to get a 10% bonus if things all work out right.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Is it normal to have no loving idea what most of the job roles mean in your workplace. Wtf is a strategy officer or a strategy manager or a data quality analyst or a product associate. I just constantly hope these people don’t talk to me

Realistically I think most people know what they get from the step before them in the process and they know what they pass along to the next step in the process but they only vaguely know what the people that do those jobs actually do. After two steps in either direction down the process you really have no idea what the people do there.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Marmaduke! posted:

Wonder how many millions his severance package was

The CEO of the last company I worked for was forced out for being in charge of one of the most disasterous projects in American corporate history and yet somehow was paid over $65 million to leave. poo poo like this should cause unrest yet things just continue rolling along. I guess I can rest well knowing that I'll never be paid enough to retire in absolute loving luxury for causing a disaster that almost bankrupts the company and causes enough damage to permanently affect the global status of said company for the foreseeable future.

Also, cubicles aren't great but they're better than sitting at these desk/table rows where the whole room is just noisy like a casino and you have zero privacy whatsoever.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

ephex posted:

Sounds like Boeing and the 737 MAX fiasco.

We have a winner!

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Machai posted:

My boss just denies reality when he doesn't like something or someone tells him he is wrong.

I had some discussion with him a few months ago about what equipment we had in the warehouse. It was not the stuff he was looking for or expected to be there so he told me I was wrong and he is always right. Full stop. I'm sorry, but if the equipment in the warehouse says it is control number 67336 you can't just tell me it is 66087 like you wanted. The numbers are carved into the loving molds.

Today he told me I was falling behind on taking out the trash and the trash barrels by the lathes were "visibly overflowing". I checked on them and they are at most halfway full with nothing visibly sticking out.

Once my wife's job becomes permanent full-time in a couple months I am leaving this stupid place and going back to school for my masters. I can't wait.

My boss from a couple of jobs back got so overwhelmed with trying to manage his expanding business that he sort of went crazy. I would gather some customer requests bring them to him, he would approve them and I would write up the reqs and send them to the dev team. A week or so later I would give boss and update on how the new features were coming and he would just become enraged "Who approved this?!?" It happened so many times that it became a cliché around the office. We had to have him start actually signing off on pieces of paper the new features and even then sometimes he would be mad about them.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Obligatory Bedlam DL3 link, the mother of all reply-all storms

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/me-too/ba-p/610643

I was involved in something like this back in the early 2000's. A woman forwarded one of those "Bill Gates is giving 5 cents to some sick kid every time this email is forwarded" to everyone at our company. It's hard to say how many people it sent to but it was over 25,000 and under 50,000. Like an idiot, I hit reply all and sent back something like "Do you actually beleive that Bill Gates is really doing this? Do a little research before you send something like this." including the mis-spelt "believe". In minutes people were replying to this email, including pedants who were hitting reply all just to dig me on my spelling mistake. Everyone in the whole company's email exploded and it just didn't stop. All these auto-responders joined in and it just became a complete shitstorm that went on and on for I don't even remember how long.

In the end everyone's email was down for the rest of the day and somehow or another I was directly assigned a portion of the blame for this. Someone at the corporate office asked the branch manager where I worked to fire me but they thankfully refused as I was otherwise a good employee. I did have to call and personally apologize to the CIO and a couple of other IT management people for loving up our corporate infrastructure for the day.

Lesson learned though, I never did anything that stupid at work ever again.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

nvidiagouge posted:

There is a guy who got/gets caught jacking off repeatedly at work in weird places but he has a note from his doctor and they can't fire him. It's some kind of Tourette's related thing.

Today we were all told that on Tuesday we will have a completely new system instituted for running our time alongside our remaining current one and that our supervisors haven't received training and we won't either, we just need to figure it out.

A few jobs back there was a guy who was blatantly caught watching porn at work on company time on a company PC. Only one person actually him watching porn but word got around pretty quick and when nothing happened to him everyone in the office got pretty offended. I mean a guy got in trouble for watching The A-Team but this guy gets busted watching "Scottish porn" (that's what the lady who busted him said it was) and nothing, not even a word from management. It wasn't long after that I started looking for another job and the porn-watcher not getting in trouble was one of the reasons.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Scottish porn guy was probably just browsing his local liquor store's website.

Not possible, I lived an worked in a semi-dry county. When I first moved there in 2008 you couldn't buy any alcohol in any retail setting but you could get booze at restaurants. A year or two on we voted to allow beer and wine sales but you still couldn't get liquor, you had to drive up to the next county over.

I don't really know what was inferred by Scottish porn, I just assumed it had something to do with kilts and maybe caber toss.

A colleague of mine was reprimanded for asking someone to "blandly" send him some information. He was tired of getting all of these extra, unnecessary details so he put in an email "could you just blandly send me the text for the clause". This somehow was offensive so yeah I believe it.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

I've noticed something about the company I'm working for now. We have this whole thing where we are all (company name)-ians and collectively we're the (Company Name) Nation. In the past I would have looked upon such a thing with derision and scorn and in fact when I started with this organization the first time I ever heard it I was like "get a load of this" but after a while, once I decided that I actually liked working here I started to like the whole Nation and -ians thing.

At my last company I would have told them to shove it.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

Y'all're not gonna believe this.

When I start saying stuff like this my old boss would be like "Wow you just got really Southern".

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Atopian posted:

Obviously once people become comfortable with "y'all", it can start to be used in the singular.
Then, in order to emphasise plural usage, one can resort to "all y'all".
This raises the eventual spectre of "all all y'all", etc.

The lawyer at my old job is a Dutch guy and he was thrilled to learn of "all y'all". When I said "gently caress all y'all" he was like "wow yeah, that's great I'll have to remember that." He would try to find places to work it into conversations.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

lamb posted:

My job had a virtual meeting this morning to go over the layoffs we had yesterday. At the end of the meeting, the architect of the layoffs told us that we all "need to heal now". Do CEOs go to a special school to learn how to be a tone deaf rear end in a top hat, or is it just a special talent they innately have?

During the round of layoffs I was caught in last year management kept saying it was for "the good of the company" (i.e. shareholders) but I don't think anything's ever been done for the good of the employees.

Giant corporations are just weird places and weird to work for. Once a company gets above a certain size human rules start to fail and other, strange rules take over.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Oh yeah, those things.

I swear they're scientifically designed to get uncomfortable after about ten minutes, to keep people from camping in them all day. There still aren't nearly enough of them scattered around. (Or weren't, anyway, I haven't seen the office in a year and a half.)

It seems to me that the over-arching goal of office spaces seems to be to make people wish they weren't there. I mean when I was a kid visiting my dad at work so many people had offices, then when I went to work at a corporate job there were cubes. After a while they did away with the cubes and made "bullpens". Now there aren't even cubes, just rows of tables with people sitting next to each other, even managers and senior people.

It's probably one of the big reasons people want to work at home.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Jaguars! posted:

I have finally found a way to have specific, measurable achievements during my working from home days. Every day I listen to an album from the Motorhead discography. Today I'm up to Bomber.

I've gone through several artists doing this exact thing. R.E.M. was the first one just because I'm a big fan of their 80's stuff but had not really gotten into anything past Monster.

I know a lot of you seem to have a lot of problems with Agile but when it's done right it works really well. I worked for 11 years at a company with zero development methodology and that sucked more than I realized at the time. My last job may have had it problems but we ran SAFe and ran it well and it worked. Where I am now we run a version of Agile and everyone is on board and it's really pretty good.

I guess there's always the opportunity to call something Agile and then just not follow it and I can see where that would suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

irpoweroutlet posted:

Am I reading this right? There is an entire team of people at your job, whose sole responsibility is a podcast and a newsletter? I’m familiar with ‘bullshit jobs’ but that’s another level entirely.

I'm sure most companies over a certain number of people have a department like this. I know my previous company (aerospace/defense) had a whole media department that produced internal training videos, newsletters, podcasts, everything you could think of.