Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
They make me do work. I know, pretty hosed up

In seriousness, my job is an absolute nightmare of low efficiency practices. The person who is supposed to be "supervising" me has no clue about what I'm doing, no clue what I'm supposed to be doing, no clue what to do when I ask for necessary information he's supposed to have and never (and I mean NEVER) answers his emails. He also doesn't come to the office anymore apparently. I'd think he didn't actually exist if I hadn't met him before

Play fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

My boss hired a 60 year old man without any computer skills (at the suggestion of his gay brazilian former lover) to lead our marketing team and the results have been about what you'd expect

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ClothHat posted:

Since our numbers have been down ever since we started working from home (they think this is because the staff are lazy and not working, it couldn't possibly be related to the ongoing pandemic), my boss has asked me to conduct a four hour evaluation of every one of my staff every month. She then asked me if this was taking up too much of my time, and when I said yes she helpfully tallied up the total number of hours it would take every month and said that's not that much.

Just take the staff into a conference room and watch youtube videos and eat popcorn for 4 hours imo. Or do the equivalent if you're 100% wfh I guess

Play
Apr 25, 2006

BigSexy posted:

One thing I like about my company is there’s no forced “bonding” bullshit. They pay us well and expect a lot from us but I’m at work to work, not hang out. I see now writing this makes me seem like an rear end in a top hat but I have a family and friends outside work, I don’t need to hang out with work people outside of work or take time away from regular projects

Yeah my work tried to do a few things like that and I told them I'm never doing that again, leave me alone and let me work/shitpost in peace ffs. Forced bonding is basically emotional rape if you think about it

Neco posted:

No it‘s fine. Bonding opportunitiesare great. Mandatory bonding is bullshit. And I am pretty sure it‘s normal you are off the clock for those in the US right?

Mine was all paid but it's still cringey bullshit that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jeza posted:

This is my first job in COVID times since I finished my MA in December and it's pretty weird to just...work during the day and nobody is ever looking in on me. There are no meetings on a Friday, so I just went through the whole day and didn't speak to anyone other than via little popup comments. Pretty chill.

Something I love about working for my org is that my "supervisor" isn't actually my supervisor and does no supervision, much less even show up in the office. I have my own little section of the office where I can do whatever the gently caress I want and never get bothered by anyone. I can get through an entire workday saying a grand total of about five words, all noncommittal greetings. If I wanted to I could simply post on something awful all day long and no one would know or care. And I may have done just that on certain occasions

Play
Apr 25, 2006

someone put the loving staff call on hold today at which point the entire company was treated to 15 minutes of deafening hold music and hundreds of lost man-hours

they literally will never learn. it's insane

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

It really just takes a couple of people that don't feel like doing their jobs or treat people with respect that poisons an entire jobsite or organization.

What baffles me is how ruthless and cutthroat businesses appear to be, but in every department and at every level, people are just loving around and being stupid lazy and petty. Would it not make sense for someone important to cut out every weak link mercilessly and just have talented people who give a poo poo and are paid well enough to commit? I know I expect a lot from people, but surely this makes sense? Why do we so often just put up with mediocrity?

This is what a lot of actually mediocre people think, tbh

Not saying they're right, just that whoever you are thinking when you say this, they would probably think the same thing about you. People who think they are hot poo poo are the absolute worst people to work with

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

I would probably be the last to refer to myself as "hot poo poo" at work, I just never want to create more work for others. I'd rather be out in the rice fields.

Fair enough. The post about hiring and firing was pretty spot on; unless performance is truly abominable it's usually easy to just maintain the status quo.

As for not making work for others, that's basically my ethos as well. In fact, it's almost always me getting more work created for myself by other people since there's things I hardly know how to do at all but I'm still the de facto "expert." I run an entire division, essentially (a small one, but still) and also have to take time away constantly because I know how to do computer/graphic design stuff and no one else does. Thing is, I quickly and easily taught myself most of that while on the job, something anyone in the office could've done themselves but can't for reasons

Combo posted:

Just got letter from HR today that they're trying to arrange vaccines for people here, as we've been working the whole time (manufacturing/front line and we actually make stuff for pharma studies). Also said that those who receive both doses of the vaccine and show their vaccination card will no longer be required to wear masks.

It's my understanding that even if you're vaccinated you can still be a carrier, so this sounds incredibly stupid. But our HR lady also thinks the virus was created to make Trump lose the election so there's that.

I mean, it's true that at that point you're extremely unlikely to spread or get covid. Still, what a stupid loving policy. Not everyone you see will instantly understand that you've been vaccinated. Masks until the whole workplace is vaccinated (assuming customers or others aren't coming through your workspace) would make a lot more sense.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

explosivo posted:

The whole company had to attend a zoom thing earlier this week for a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT and as people were coming in there was no audio so people didn't know if the audio was working. The person kicking off the meeting, the head of our human resources department, said out loud "Is nobody saying anything right now or is the audio just being re****ed?" Not even like she accidentally said something without realizing she was muted, she was legitimately asking someone out there if the audio was just being re****ed.

Someone was like "oh nobody's talking yet" and this person just moved on like she said nothing out of the ordinary. Every single person in my team was already there and immediately went to slack to be like "did anybody else just hear that??", as was I'm sure hundreds of other people who were filtering in at that point. Just seriously unbelievable poo poo.

Report her to herself so she can order herself to teach a mandatory diversity sensitivity training to herself

Play
Apr 25, 2006

1redflag posted:

Agreed w above poster. My understanding (layperson) is that being vaccinated means that your body’s immune system “knows” how to fight the relevant virus, not that it makes you wholly immune from the virus entering your body. So you can still get “infected” and still pass the virus along to others, you just are going to recover from any infection much quicker than others w/out the vaccines.

But if you don't actually get physically sick the virus 1) won't multiply/spread inside you and 2) won't be spread easily to other people through coughing. And like I said, it's very rare to even contract it in any measurable amount after being vaccinated, just as rare as someone getting covid twice. Rare as in the documented instances can be counted with two hands hand internationally, afaik, although I'm open to be corrected.

But that's entirely besides the fact that overcaution is the name of the game, especially as an employer. And the main point, that allowing vaccinated people to stop wearing masks while everyone else does hopelessly obscures the situation and is incredibly stupid, remains. It's hard to know how to talk about these things sometimes because the appropriate level of caution is unclear and you don't want to come off as too lax or too shrill.

Actually I get really pissed off at my workplace because despite the fact that I kinda have my own area they're making me come into the office 4 days a week (completely unnecessary, I can work from anywhere) and certain dumb pricks in the office hardly even bother masking.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

Overcaution isn't the name of the game for the employer because basically no employers followed any sort of lockdown procedure from the getgo. Technically for late Nov to early january my business fell under a "25% maximum" lockdown order but lmao if we weren't all doing exactly what we normally do. What am I gonna do, snitch on em as the only one who openly agreed with the lockdown in the first place?

I can't even be assed to get that mad about the lack of masks because honestly with how cramped our office is (we mostly do field work so it's people coming in and out all day, we don't need a huge space) a normal mask wouldn't do poo poo anyways. If one person got sick mask or no every surface in that office would be contaminated before they started feeling symptoms unless they were wearing actual medical stuff rather than the repurposed hanes everyone has.

Oh man. Sorry, that's gross af. It's good that you made it through so far but how can you trust a bunch of people who you have no idea what they're doing away from work? Stay safe

It's funny that employers don't seem as concerned as they might about getting sued for failing to provide a safe environment for workers. I wonder if there will be more lawsuits in the future for long term effects or if they're just getting a free pass in effect

1redflag posted:

I don’t think anything you said in this sentence is true, to be honest. First, my understanding is you will get physically sick, you will just recover faster such that it may not appear outwardly. Second, the virus will multiply inside you, but your immune system will be able to suppress it at a faster rate than it can replicate, so while it will be able to multiply/spread at first, it will eventually lose a war of attrition. Finally, you still we able to spread it during the period between initial infection and total victory by your immune system.

I’m not trying to be argumentative here, I’m just afraid we may be spreading misinformation one way or the other. I’d love to have some resident immunologist or vaccine scientist (or just a regular physician, whatever) put the issue to bed.

No that's true, both of them confer partial immunity, with having gotten it before being a little bit more total. I actually was on the other side of this argument in the covid thread where we were talking about degrees of immunity.

It's not total, but I'm not surprised that employers would accept the risk given that the general response has been to do the bare minimum or less than that. I think if a whole enclosed office all had it they would be fine, as the chance of actually having multiple people get it is infinitesimal when you include the chance that a person will get it in the first place.

Meanwhile some jobs just don't give a gently caress about it at all. People walk around in my office building without masks and I don't know where they've been. I'd be pretty happy if the whole office got vaccinated

Play fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 6, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I feel like that kind of autonomy should be preserved, the ability to just do your work and get through the day without making lame small talk with people all the time. And it is really loving rude to insist that someone display a level of sociality that doesn't fit their preferences or character.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Greeting people politely or having short conversations with them in response to something they said is fine, but I don't think that's what these office busybodies want. They want a lot more than that, which is the issue. Like someone mentioned that attitude is also really common in jobs that have poor work-life balance, they want to make the workplace your combination job and friend network.

I don't want that though. I want to go to work, do my job so I get paid, go home and not think about it at all until it's time to drag myself back in. I like the people at my job but they aren't my friends and I don't want them to be.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Forced move to onedrive - check
Lock everyone out of older network drive before getting to move files over - check

Have everyone use whichever different cloud storage system they like for whatever crucial documents they like and not bothering to spring for any central database for important things - check
Decline to pay for any cloud storage whatsoever when free amounts run out so that important things get deleted - check

Play fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 10, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Full Metal Jackass posted:

My job is WFH right now but they do a thing where they randomly call you up to come in for a drug and alcohol test during work hours. Once you answer the phone and engage in convo they spring it on you and you have 2 hours to come in and take the test, otherwise it counts as a failed test. This has gotten two people fired so far for failed breathalyzer (has to be 0.0).

Fuckin A! That's messed up

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tristesse posted:

My current job is one of the better ones I've had except for a few stupid things. One of those things is they have all this weird cult like stuff which includes everything from how we structure our meetings to reporting to our bosses and poo poo. It's dumb crap like "at the start of every meeting every person in that meeting reports 1 bit or personal good news and one bit of professional good news." I had to read -several- books just to know the stupid shortcut termonology they're using. It's so loving dumb and now we're all hardwired for it and guess what? We got bought out and my boss got fired so that's all going away.

Speaking of getting bought out...

So this new company outta Boston buys us at the end of last year, and they decide to hold a company meeting at our offices with their bosses there to talk about it. 2 hour mandatory meeting for everyone in the company, it was basically new hire orientation. My entire team was told we had to be there physically (we're working remotely but "encouraged" to come in on Mondays.) This was Jan 6th.

Everyone in one room for two hours. The guys talking at the front did not wear masks. Of course of them tests positive for the 'rona the next week. We get told about that on the 13th, when I start to feel lovely. I tested positive on Friday, along with a few other coworkers, and my whole team is crippled the next week as we both had to call out sick all week. That poo poo sucked and I can still barely smell anything.

So we're off to the right foot with this merger.

I'd be so furious about that. You should sue them for putting you in that situation where getting infected is so insanely likely. gently caress those people.

I take my health more seriously than any job, and I've already had to set some boundaries at my work because there are some risks I refuse to take and I don't give a gently caress what the standard policy is. If something seems unsafe to me I'm not doing it, period.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

obviously I hosed it posted:

We have to have ‘ team building ‘ days ( on our days off) where we have to listen to some motivational speaker nobody likes and do stupid trust building exercises. We all would rather go out and drink and tell stories in order to bond than untangle giant ropes in a field somewhere to ‘ get to know ‘ our coworkers.
If I hear “... and it’s ok if not everyone likes this activity” one more time, I’m going to have a stroke. I’d rather publicly poo poo myself once a week than attend these team building things.

Those don't sound like days off to me???

NapalmWeasel posted:

I work in a very small company, and my (tech support) boss (CEO) responds to me with a lot of "TY!" or similar. External emails from her are pieces of wordsmith art.

This is a conscious technique to make you think that your CEO is incredibly busy, so busy in fact that typing six letters will set them back irreparably.

Son of Rodney posted:

Holy poo poo does this speak to me. When people ask me what my perfect job would be like and I'm being honest I always reply chopping wood. Just chopping wood. Good honest physical work, constant progress, and regular satisfaction when you finished splitting a good and heavy piece.

Also a question on the salutation thing to y'all, I'm not a native English speaker so my office English is rudimentary, what's a good all around salutation set for every day business mails? I've been going with dear x, or just hello x if we've reached a more informal level to greet, and either best regards or regards when closing. Is that alright?

Spoken like someone who has never chopped wood for eight hours before

Not trying to drag you or anything. That poo poo is just hard, and tiring, and sweaty, and will tear your hands all the way up until you get acclimated.

Also, I use:

Hello [name],

and then either

Regards,
[my name]

or

Cheers,
[my name] if I'm feeling saucy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Genesplicer posted:

I teach 7th and 8th grade science. Remotely, right now. I like it for a couple of reasons and hate it for whole bunch more.

-My commute usually takes about an hour. I miss my audiobooks and concerts, but I have saved about $2,000 in fuel costs since March 13.

-I am reasonably safe from COVID, since I stay home most of the time. (This may change, when they decide to push us back into the classroom. I know that I had 9 tables in my classroom before, each holding 4 students. They have added 9 more tables to my room. There is now about a foot between tables, but they are fairly large, so one kid per table would be OK. Just no room to move around.)

-One thing I hate is the fact that we are doing Google Meets. Our district does not allow us to demand that the students turn on their cameras, so I only know if they are there if they voluntarily turn on their camera (about 4 kids out of 175), or if they respond to a question from me. About half of my students log in, then go off and watch TV or play X-box. I'm not allowed to penalize them for not actually being there, as long as they log in.

-The biggest thing I hate is the fact that I can't do any labs or demos . The best I can do is maybe find something on YouTube that is related in some way to what we are learning.

However, I am getting paid, and I get to spend more time at home, which is not bad at all.

I was thinking of getting my teaching accreditation recently, but I decided to put it off until after the pandemic, if ever. I hate using zoom or whatever and can't see how I could possibly learn to teach well in that kind of situation. Becoming a new teacher like that seems nearly impossible

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Oh man flip flopping between lawful evil and chaotic good, no wonder I'm schizophrenic

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Speaking of email signatures, I was supposed to interview some chick back in November (she freaked out when I emailed her to confirm and accused me of being a scammer).

After insulting me, she signed off with "enjoy the balance of your day." Bitch, how?! You unbalanced the poo poo out of it!

thanks for reminding me that my day, and thus my life, is composed of units that continually drain into the ether and will never return!!! It feels REALLLLLYYYYYYY good!!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Shellception posted:

As someone who's done a lot of unofficial English revising (I am no translator in any sense but I have a C2 and work in an English-dominated scientific field so I get asked to do so frequently): No, no you aren't, at all. There's a definite tendency here by some people to seriously overestimate their English level. I had the habit of writing the reason for a correction when I did them ("missing verb" "this is an adverb not an adjective, use this instead" "this adjective goes before the substantive not after" and so on) and even with the notes I have been challenged sometimes ("well what you wrote sounds wrong").

Yeah I know I am no native and sometimes I make mistakes buttttt lady I just had to rewrite, reorder and punctuate your ten-lines behemoth of a sentence. If you think I am wrong, which I may well be, please do a bit of googling before complaining :argh:.

I purposely have let no one at my job know that I'm a good writer/editor, at the risk of being assigned stupid tasks that I don't want to do

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Someone convinced the CEO we should do AGILE but he hated it so all we do is have scrums and planning sessions and then ignore everything and do whatever the emergency of the day is.

Our Scrum Master is a project manager for a client who we do no work for and have basically no interaction with. He has no idea what our team does and the sum total of his contribution is to add meetings to everyone's Outlook calendar.

man gently caress that guy. gently caress ANYONE adding meetings to everyone's outlook

I hate meetings so much. I hate them I hate them I hate them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

all this agile poo poo sounds like you guys are speaking another language. what is all this bullshit? (that's a rhetorical question, please don't explain it)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of Teams, at the start of the pandemic and WFH, someone higher up decided we'd be very proactive with our support.

Teams asks users after every call to rate the call quality. I don't know to what degree that is customizable, since I'm not a Teams admin, but a lot of people are annoyed that it asks after every freakin' call.

Secondly, and how it directly affects our team, if ANY call is rated less than a 5/5, it auto-generates a ticket about the call quality that we have to investigate.

4/5 should not generate a ticket, and I'm on the fence that even a 3/5 should.

Especially when the cause is basically guaranteed to be "subpar internet connection" every single time

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I do my job without all that bullshit because I would be letting down the people my org helps if I didn't

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Outrail posted:

20200127 filename
2020 Feb 1 filename tf 2
Filename
Filename1
Filename2
Filename 20200220
Filename draft
Filename draft ht edit
Filename final
Filename final draft
Filename final draft 2
Filename final edit
Filename v2

The actual final version is saved somewhere else.

pls stop hacking my computer

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Zarin posted:

I mean, yeah, if you specifically requested a naming convention and they violate it, then THEY are the monsters.

I just like my dashes for my own personal garbage :(

I use periods between every word of the filename. I know, I'm a dirty pervert

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Our mandatory gratitudes in our monthly standups are different in February. So we can express love and admiration for coworkers it is a secret admirer gratitude. You have been assigned a coworker you aren't fond of. You must express why you are grateful for this person. :(

Say you're grateful that you hardly ever have to interact with them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Outrail posted:

Without wanting to traumatize posters too much: What's the actual best method for document control? I like having the date but more than one edit a day turns into 20210226a bullshit. Just Filenamev01 through v99 seems the most straight forward and idiot proof (hah). No 'final' version, just pdf it or call it final when it's really done. All prior pdfs or 'finals' get deleted.

Yeah I just have version numbers (just a simple '1.1' ascending from there), then when it's finalized I take all of that off and just leave the actual document name for wider distribution.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I live like a block from my office so I really don't mind going in again. Right now I'm wfh one day a week and I never get anything done on that day so it's probably for the best. Office is pretty spacious so I don't feel that threatened

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Longer commute here (35 min) but same. There's one person within 30 feet of me that I don't have multiple walls in the way for, I make almost no contact outside of that, and WFH is hell thanks to a combo of no usable office space + our network being garbage (another layer of legacy software I might not have talked about) + ADHD shredding my focus without the social pressure of coworkers around to keep me on task.

One of 6 or 7 people in the whole company that came in during that last bit of winter hell up here. Better than trying to work from home (and I forgot my laptop anyway).

Yeah. Probably not a coincidence that I also have pretty bad ADD. Also I'm just straight up lazy and when I'm chilling at home I just want to play video games and drink beer, not work.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ziv Zulander posted:

At my work we got 50 points for proof of vaccination

Been there three years and I’m still trying to figure out what the points are for

E: OnShift tells me I have 85 points right now

Ooooo, points! It's like dollars except completely useless!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

titty_baby_ posted:

I repost a lot of cursed images from the gbs thread here, and I had to admit to a coworker I go on SA because they were.convinced I was a channer

Yeah that's pretty much the only way I can see myself agreeing to disclose such information

Play
Apr 25, 2006

There's something deeply ironic about the phrase "mandatory gratitudes"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

teen witch posted:

Lmao similar hat and people getting LIVID that I’m not answering at 3am IT IS AN EMERGENCY

Forget the fact that my signature, where they got my number from, also contains the country code and address

I work in an international field, email with people all over the world and this happens so much.

When I get in to work I'll see like 4 or 5 emails from the same person asking why I didn't respond to the first email. Binch sorry not sorry that I don't answer emails in the literal middle of the night while I'm dead asleep. gently caress I don't even answer emails outside of work hours period unless it's an actual serious emergency.

Also this thing they are so worked up about is literally never any sort of emergency or anything that can't wait a day or three to be addressed.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

We've got a really nice espresso machine which is all I need, I don't want access to tons of snacks at work that'll just build bad habits and get me fat.

Everyone else here drinks sodas and eats chips from the break room all the time, it's gross

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The President of our company has a bad habit of getting taken in by young Brazilian men at which point he spends money getting them into the country legally and gives them jobs they aren't remotely qualified for. One of them even tries to tell me what to do sometimes and I tell him go gently caress a brick

cursed af image

titty_baby_ posted:

I said I would work random events if they gave us proper notice ahead of time (they never do, its always week of) and boss said they're working to have a calendar for planning these things. Hes said this for months and still never tells us anything until a week or two before, putting all the planning responsibilities on the coordinator, who then tries to delegate but fails because I dodge (and events are usually funded by another source that im not allowed to allocate from) and other employees ignore.

Dodging and ignoring are the two cornerstones of a successful career.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Also the only loving appreciation I'm interested in is more money. That's how you appreciate me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

Wait, is sick leave unpaid? Are pto days also unpaid?? Is there a single good thing about US employer rights at all?

I sweat listening to us Americans talk about their jobs is like listening to abuse victims sometimes, I am so sorry :(

Not usually. There is such a thing as "unpaid days" off, which would be when you use up your sick time. And there are probably helljobs out there that don't pay sick days, but I've never had one.

PTO is right in the name, it has to be paid for it to be PTO.

My work is pretty generous overall, we don't have a ton of discretionary PTO but we get huge breaks at certain times of the year like Christmas/New Years, Thanksgiving, etc. Totals about a month and a half, I'd guess. And I can (or used to be able to, anyways) take unpaid days if I want to extend that.

Son of Rodney posted:

Lol yeah if I see someone working for 60+ hours a week for no good reason I definitly admire them instead of thinking they're pitiable people who got brainwashed into seeing work as the point of living.

Imagine making work the focus on your life instead of literally everything else.

Work already takes up nearly 25% of the hours in a week, and many of the remaining hours are when you sleep. I'm not giving them anything more than that, and you're right I do not admire anyone who does such. The opposite of admire, actually

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah it's pretty incredible how managers and bosses talk about making sacrifices for the company when they have never and will never do any such thing. You'll pry their golf time, month long vacations in Aspen and quarterly stock options from their cold dead lich hands. The worse the company is doing, the better the people at the top are doing. Also the same thing if the company is doing really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

I mentioned this a while ago but I got an email from the guy who has the passive aggressive chud-ly "nuke the trees" thing in his email signature so I can share this

CONSUME, I COMMAND THEE. CONSUME . . . ALL