Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Riatsala posted:

I'm going to complain about this fully acknowledging that my Dad was a firefighter, so I'm maybe crazy for caring, but my work tests the building wide fire alarms once a month and always tells everyone in advance to say "Don't leave the building, we're testing today".

As much as I don't want to go outside every time they test it, the fact that we never do any actual fire drills and we're being conditioned to ignore the alarm in the first place is extremely stupid. My last boss had the policy that you evacuate the building when the fire alarm goes off, no exceptions, even if told in advance because not only do we need to practice reacting to alarm, what if there's an actual goddamn fire?

So my nightmare scenario now is that there will be an actual fire on or near a test day (and with how often we set them off, the chances aren't low) and none of my coworkers are going to react until they see smoke or an actual firefighter is in their face telling them to evacuate. And being on the top floor doesn't help. It all just seems like a massive liability and a goddamn stupid policy, but again I don't know much I'm talking with my dad's voice.

The idea of even doing a fire drill is cute to me. 16 years and we have never once done one here; hell, the only time we've ever evacuated the building was because someone brought a "bomb" (blasting caps) into the lobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

I was all ready to post about current stupidity where my employer refused to close for business today despite the fact that it was snowing and wind chill was -30 but they came to their senses and closed for tomorrow (weather is supposed to be even worse with rolling brownouts due to power usage). Government isn't always stupid yes it is

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Government, so dumb poo poo is the norm; this is minor in comparison to most everything posted here however I tried to submit a ticket to IT only to find that the only link we have for the reporting system is wrong. Help Desk insists that you submit a ticket for help. Can't submit a ticket if you can't reach the ticket system...actually, that's not dumb, that's kind of brilliant.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Well they did fire about half of IT as "redundant" a couple years ago and gee, response times poo poo the bed. I wonder how that could happen? Of course, this is the same local government that until about five years ago did not even have a ticketing system aside from the almighty sticky notes. We do have the lowest property taxes in Texas, though!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Making changes on live without testing. There was an update last night to our records system that broke an entire reporting system that integrates with it. Easily found if they used a test server but no, those cost money and time I guess.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

If you had said squirrels instead of crows, I would have told you to go home, Dad, you're drunk.

Hell, during a snow storm recently there was a knocking at the patio door from one of the drat squirrels upset that my father hadn't put out more squirrel feed.

Marcade fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

This may be more for the COVID thread but I'm not caught up with it, so...

Stupid co-worker "COVID is only a problem if you have high blood sugar in your blood". Also, "what did people do before vaccines?" Uh, they died, dude. I guess anti-dumb poo poo, we're still keeping a mask policy after the 10th.