Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?/So I'm a Spider, so What?

CV: Aoi Yuuki

From the anime website:

quote:

I, the protagonist, was just an ordinary high school girl,
but suddenly I was reincarnated as a spider monster in a fantasy world.
Not only that, but I awakened in a dungeon filled with vicious monsters.
Armed with only my human knowledge and my overwhelming positivity,
I'm forced to use spiderwebs and traps to defeat far stronger monsters just to stay alive...

LN vol.1 from Yen Press

quote:

I used to be a normal high school girl but in the blink of an eye, I woke up in a place I've never seen before and-and I was reborn as a spider?! How could something that's nothing more than a tiny spider (that's me) possibly survive in literally the worst dungeon ever? Are there no rules? There should be some rules! Who the hell is responsible for this? SHOW YOUR FACE!

https://i.imgur.com/z7MvYUu.mp4
Kumo desu is originally a Light Novel that got adapted into a manga and now an anime. At the top is the main protagonist, "I" or Kumoko. She's a spider. This is a series where nothing bad happens to her and everything is fine
Everything is not fine

These are some other characters. Who cares.

Talk about the anime here. Probably spoiler LN and Manga stuff that hasn't happened for the time being.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
MV for the OP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqByA3ejOcg

Can't wait for the ED MV

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Here to appreciate Aoi Yuuki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwF8q90VWrc

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Thanks for the thread!

I think what I love about this series the most is just how every conflict Kumoko ends up in feels appropriate, the stakes are consistently high and no matter what abilities and levels she gains there's always a bigger fish perched up above her waiting to prey on her. It stays exciting and interesting, "How will she untangle herself from this jam this time!?" each week. I'm ultimately happy for the other classmates jarring as it was as a manga reader because they help the pacing a lot I think. Make it less super exciting death defiance all the time.

In comparison to other isekais its a very fresh competitor in an oversaturdated subgenre, I'm happy for it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really like the manga and this anime recaptures the characteristics quite well.
I totally get why the manga skipped over the story of those classmates though.

I actually had to look at her IMDB page because she's drat impressive. Is she just a special case or is it normal for anime voice actors to record more lines in a year than there are seconds in it? I guess it helps if you can somehow cram the complete works of Tolkien into one breath. Also, among hundreds of other roles, she was Tanya the evil, which makes a lot of sense, actually. Also, she did the Japanese dub of Gwen Stacy, which is kinda appropriate. The colors even match.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 30, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Anyone have a translation of the ED?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's actually kinda spoilery, because she lists skills that haven't shown up yet, future enemies and she's complaining about  D 

Tamba fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 30, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tamba posted:

It's actually kinda spoilery, because she lists skills that haven't shown up yet, future enemies and ahe's complaining about  D 

I wonder who’ll play them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Shame we skipped the Wasps and the explanation of Corrosion (or I guess Rot) from the pill bugs. There's a bunch of exposition that's clearly being skipped, and they definitely should be doing eyecatches with some of Kumo's stats and abilities and skills and stuff.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Shame we skipped the Wasps and the explanation of Corrosion (or I guess Rot) from the pill bugs. There's a bunch of exposition that's clearly being skipped, and they definitely should be doing eyecatches with some of Kumo's stats and abilities and skills and stuff.

I can see why they skipped it. The wasp encounter, mechanically, is very similar to the monkey one with just waves upon waves of mobs being thwarted by her webs.

Though, as folks have said, cutting it out does undermine her motivation for some later actions somewhat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Missing the wasp fight is pretty unfortunate because the progression is starting to seem very fast, how many episodes are they intending? It feels to me like they might blaze past the current point in the manga at the rate they're going. My only complaint about this adaption now at this point is how dang fast its going.

Xelkelvos posted:

Ooooooooooh so that's where it happened.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

I actually had to look at her IMDB page because she's drat impressive. Is she just a special case or is it normal for anime voice actors to record more lines in a year than there are seconds in it? I guess it helps if you can somehow cram the complete works of Tolkien into one breath. Also, among hundreds of other roles, she was Tanya the evil, which makes a lot of sense, actually. Also, she did the Japanese dub of Gwen Stacy, which is kinda appropriate. The colors even match.
Aoi Yuuki is so good at her craft that, while she has a fairly recognizable voice, she has enough range to pull an insane amount of types of characters with incredible ease that, much like someone such as Sugita, Sawashiro, or Koyasu, if you're not familiar with whatever source material is getting adapted, you'd be hard pressed to tell what type of character you're gonna get.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Aoi Yuuki is so good at her craft that, while she has a fairly recognizable voice, she has enough range to pull an insane amount of types of characters with incredible ease that, much like someone such as Sugita, Sawashiro, or Koyasu, if you're not familiar with whatever source material is getting adapted, you'd be hard pressed to tell what type of character you're gonna get.

I remember being pretty impressed with her in the Kino's Journey remake, where she played the lead role as a young adult and as a child, with both voices being distinct enough to tell them apart while clearly being the same person.

Also, she was amazing at the Nier Automata dinner show, because she really got big into Nier. It was adorable. (It also seemed to creep Yui Ishikawa out a bit.)

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Go check out volume 2 of the manga, that's where you'll see the cool stuff that episode 4 skipped over.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I am totally on board with Aoi Yuuki yells for 15 minutes an episode: The Anime :allears:

Oh and I guess other stuff happens too occasionally. Pretty sure I've already forgotten the names of every other character in this. And also what they look like too now that I think about it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Super Jay Mann posted:

I am totally on board with Aoi Yuuki yells for 15 minutes an episode: The Anime :allears:

Oh and I guess other stuff happens too occasionally. Pretty sure I've already forgotten the names of every other character in this. And also what they look like too now that I think about it.

I can sort of remember what those losers look like. Mostly because they have the most generic fantasy appearances. Like there's a woman with long red hair, who's really good at fire.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't forget what those losers look like because they're all over the OP and the promo material, but I cannot for the life of me tell you their names or personalities or skills. Also since they don't meet up with the spider for like loving ever I don't know or care why they're even in the show. Yes, yes, the LN split up the chapters that way, but the manga shows you don't have to and the spider narrative stands fine on its own.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I remember being pretty impressed with her in the Kino's Journey remake, where she played the lead role as a young adult and as a child, with both voices being distinct enough to tell them apart while clearly being the same person.

Also, she was amazing at the Nier Automata dinner show, because she really got big into Nier. It was adorable. (It also seemed to creep Yui Ishikawa out a bit.)

Her first voice acting role was in the original Kino's Journey, where she only voiced child Kino.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Episode 4 was the first full Aoi Yuki episode, and I am totally on board with a full episode length of her talking.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Super Jay Mann posted:

The only one I remember is Natsume and that's because he irritated me in episode 3. I know it's dumb to judge characters for not acting logically, but he has a sword why does he keep shooting the dragon with these dumb little fireballs?

Edit I also remember Fei because she did a cool pose after violently biting the dragon and she seems to have a connection to Kumoko than anyone else in the class even though it's just school bully who feels bad about what she did now.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 30, 2021

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

The only one I remember is Natsume and that's because he irritated me in episode 3. I know it's dumb to judge characters for not acting logically, but he has a sword why does he keep shooting the dragon with these dumb little fireballs?

I imagine because Shun had just shown up his fire magic.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
So a longer video version of the ED is out and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pQ_sGcNg4&t=166s

:staredog:

I don't know who is responsible for all of this but they deserve a raise.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm really glad they've dropped the literal page long stat block stuff from the LN we got so far.

That stuff was annoying and while it does technically contribute to worldbuilding for reasons people who have read further along in the books will know, I really don't think it's worth how obnoxious and story flow breaking they are.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Edit, actually I'mma go spoiler this to be on the safe side, its just mechanical stuff but might be spoilery since I think this is stuff that hasn't happened yet.

I tend to just glance over it in the manga, but what I think they help convey is a sense of "Holy poo poo, this is a baddie" in terms of how powerful someone may or may not be. It becomes more interesting for the viewer in that respect later on, I think the Manga makes good use out of it as basically a "power level" measuring stick.

But actually come to think of it I don't think Kumoko's Appraise skill is actually high enough yet for us to have seen these stat-blocks, I think we start seeing them soon?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 30, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think it happens at this point already, but they might have moved it to later because it reveals a plot important skill and I guess they'll tie it into something the humans do.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder that it's both in the OP:

Xelkelvos posted:

Talk about the anime here. Probably spoiler LN and Manga stuff that hasn't happened for the time being.

And it's one of the more common guidelines for ADTRW as a whole:

Wark Say posted:

SOME GUIDELINES

On Spoilers
We live in an era where new chapters and/or episodes are announced and released with a certain set-your-watch-by-it regularity, with simulcasts and fan translations soon to follow. Once a new release has been announced and linked in its corresponding thread, discussion of its contents is free game and should not require spoiler tags. Please don’t whine to me or anyone else because you wandered into a thread on a day you knew there’d be something to talk about. If you are willing to use spoiler tags, a warning never hurts.

If a manga has an anime adaptation (which is the most common scenario) and the anime has its own thread, abstain from posting spoilers from the original manga on the anime thread.
So pretty please, spoiler that stuff if you please.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
This episode was the best so far, easily.

I legit just skip past the non-Spider parts of the other episodes it's wild how completely, totally by-the-books those parts are.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like the human characters part because it’s funny how they are all part of a bog standard isekai story while all this spider stuff is going on. I’ve read the manga so it’s nice to see what the outside world is like since the manga is just now getting to stuff outside the dungeon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

mdct posted:

This episode was the best so far, easily.

I legit just skip past the non-Spider parts of the other episodes it's wild how completely, totally by-the-books those parts are.

i've been watching the shun parts because i read the wn, where the dragon girl didn't exist. her inclusion does not make the shun parts any more interesting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So did everyone get reincarnated as babies, or did some of them do the whole 15 year old suddenly remembers their past life thing? I ask because it looks like it might be that the spider and other classmates stuff is chronologically out of order. I say that because I have a hunch that the dragon egg she came across is actually the girl who used to bully her. Also because she just hatched last week or whatever while the teacher has already found 11 students and they're all pretty adjusted to their new life.

Super Jay Mann posted:

I remember the light blue haired girl because everyone else has either a super fantasy noble name or a Japanese name, while she's just Sue. Also I just read a couple chapters of an isekai where the murderously obsessive little sister follows the older brother she obsesses over with the help of ol' truck-kun. So the standby anime brother obsession is triggering bad recent memories.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ethiser posted:

I like the human characters part because it’s funny how they are all part of a bog standard isekai story while all this spider stuff is going on. I’ve read the manga so it’s nice to see what the outside world is like since the manga is just now getting to stuff outside the dungeon.

It is nice for world building imo. Like finding out everyone hears the level up voice and one person seems to liken it to a God or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was wondering the same thing and found this one.
https://www.animesonglyrics.com/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka/ganbare-kumoko-sans-theme

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The way I see it, they serve the following purpose:

1. They highlight and contrast the difference in situations. Kumoko is a monster spider, and basically starting "from zero", everyone else got to be humans or elves and have safe comfortable new lives. It helps us better emphasize with Kumoko's circumstances and get engaged with her progress.

2. It's actually fairly unique. Usually its just 1 person that gets isekai'd, a whole class (presumably) reincarnating is actually kind of novel and I'm interested to see where it goes. Will it become a Ender's Shadow situation where they become ambitious and compete with each other in this new world? Or do they decide to cooperate? (and to be clear I literally don't know the answer, it's exciting!)

3. They modify the pacing curve.

The scenes with the classmates help us decompress, since Kumoko's scenes are fairly action heavy and way more tense.

4. Considering how utterly alone Kumoko is, we the audience root for her to hopefully reunite eventually to resolve the issue, it presents a clear goal for the audience to want to see these two separate storylines to meet in the middle safe and sound.

Gyges posted:

So did everyone get reincarnated as babies, or did some of them do the whole 15 year old suddenly remembers their past life thing? I ask because it looks like it might be that the spider and other classmates stuff is chronologically out of order. I say that because I have a hunch that the dragon egg she came across is actually the girl who used to bully her. Also because she just hatched last week or whatever while the teacher has already found 11 students and they're all pretty adjusted to their new life.

If true that's some classic fridge horror here :gonk: because that was probably a close call. (and I don't know either to be clear)

quote:

I remember the light blue haired girl because everyone else has either a super fantasy noble name or a Japanese name, while she's just Sue. Also I just read a couple chapters of an isekai where the murderously obsessive little sister follows the older brother she obsesses over with the help of ol' truck-kun. So the standby anime brother obsession is triggering bad recent memories.

Which isekai is this out of curiosity?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Raenir Salazar posted:

Which isekai is this out of curiosity?

I don't remember. I just came across it, read a couple chapters and then stopped. Given the way isekais are titled now its probably something like "My Obsessive Little Sister Held Me Hostage But Then I Died. Now She's Followed Me To Another World" or something like that. Spoilers for some manga I don't know the name of
  • Little sister literally murders everyone the housebound MC ever loved in front of him in order to control him. Torture kills. Maybe she also killed their parents, but maybe not. She also has sex with him.
  • After several dead friends/classmates he tried to escape, but ran into her while running. When he tried to push her in front of a truck to get away/end it she pulled him along. So they both died by isekai truck.
  • When he woke up the goddess told him he lead a blameless life so he'd get some sweet bonuses in his reincarnation. Then as he's fading away for reincarnation she warns him that his sister also got reincarnated in that world and he should run if he meets her.
  • MC wakes up as a baby and it turns out he's the first son of a Duke. Everything is going nice for him and then he figures out how to use magic at 6 months old. His parents and maid are all nice to him and everything is going awesome for him as he decides to use his isekai protagonist powers to protect the world and everyone he now loves from his lurking little sister.
  • On his 1st birthday it turns out that his maid is actually his little sister, and she tries to kidnap baby him to once again repeat the horror of his past. Instead they have a magic battle where the MC manages to kill her. However it looks like she's going to reincarnate in the world again.

I gave it a few chapters based on the general concept of the summary I saw. However since I'm not into Hostel/Saw poo poo, I quit when it became apparent that the story was just going to be a cycle of the MC's sister torturing people to death until he defeats her, and then it starts again.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Like finding out everyone hears the level up voice and one person seems to liken it to a God or something.
There's a whole religion around this, and she was raised by those guys

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
When god says "Experience has reached the required level", what they really mean is that this is the holy land and we must exterminate all heretics.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tamba posted:

There's a whole religion around this, and she was raised by those guys

There's actually kind of a disturbing commentary there if you liken this to the very real dopamine rush a lot of RPGs/gachas try to induce in their players, making them chase that "level up" or "skill up" or 5-star SSR pull over and over again at any cost, monetary or otherwise.

On another note, the most striking thing I've been learning while watching this show is that full heals after levelling up is super broken when applied to a situation resembling real life rather than an arbitrary game system. Spider girl should have been dead ten times over if not for that!

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I just realized that Kumoko, voiced by Aoi Yuki, will be a character in Isekai Quartet. This is a Kodakawa property, so it's definitely going to happen.

No idea how it will actually work, though, seeing as how she cannot speak. I guess they'll figure something out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

I just realized that Kumoko, voiced by Aoi Yuki, will be a character in Isekai Quartet. This is a Kodakawa property, so it's definitely going to happen.

No idea how it will actually work, though, seeing as how she cannot speak. I guess they'll figure something out.

She's already there as Tanya so clearly, it should be an ep where Tanya encounters Kumoko and just be the whole episode of the VA talking to herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Maxwell Adams posted:

Or they totally won't bother and it'll just be spider Aoi Yuki talking. Or they won't and they will bother and it will still be spider Aoi Yuki talking but no one can actually hear her or understand her but she'll still be monologuing nonstop.

And then she poisons Shield Hero dude to death