Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I was genuinely surprised how many people were holding onto the idea that MJ is innocent before that doc came out.

I said it earlier in the thread, but people who watched the trial live at the time saw that MJ had an excellent (from a legal sense) defense (that wasn't an OJ style glove thing), and a lot focused around the parents (who were around at the time) knowing MJ was weird and inappropriate and coaching their kids to say/think he was doing more than he was actually doing to get his money. Combine that with him not having a history of molestation or any accusations after that, unlike with people like Woody Allen or R. Kelly, and its enough to create varying levels of doubt.

People who weren't old enough to watch the details of the trial or didn't at the time and whose first exposure was a documentary after his death that doesn't show the defense aren't going to have that same layer of doubt.

edit: Also, black people are more skeptical, due to valid historical reasons of false accusation, of claims against famous black people, so theres a layer of wagon wheel circling that also adds to the numbers. This happened to varying degrees with OJ, R Kelly, Bill Cosby, Kobe, etc.

Darko fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm dreading Farrow vs. Allen dropping cause I just want the broader discourse around Woody Allen to go away forever.

But yeah, much like MJ, it's amazing to me how many people in film communities just assume he's innocent, still think it's about Soon-Yi (and not Dylan), or just straight up take the "Mia Farrow's a Lying Bitch who Brainwashed Her Daughter" stance. Every other day, someone in a Facebook group posts stills from Manhattan and does the whole "ya gotta admit, it's a great movie!" schtick and I'm just so sick of debating it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rambo 2 is probably my favorite example of that.
Rambo has consistently managed to be the prime example of an action franchise not getting it for decades now. First Blood examined PTSD and the horrible way the US treated returning Vietnam vets, and cops treating vagrants like criminals was also a fairly novel portrayal at the time. Yet every sequel since then has been Rambo: Mass Murderer for Hire (up until the last one, which was just Taken). I don't know if Stallone's the culprit there, but it really undermines the social criticism of the original story. Rambo died at the end of the book First Blood was based on, which just drives the point home. They even filmed that ending but didn't use it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sticklefifer posted:

Rambo has consistently managed to be the prime example of an action franchise not getting it for decades now. First Blood examined PTSD and the horrible way the US treated returning Vietnam vets, and cops treating vagrants like criminals was also a fairly novel portrayal at the time. Yet every sequel since then has been Rambo: Mass Murderer for Hire (up until the last one, which was just Taken). I don't know if Stallone's the culprit there, but it really undermines the social criticism of the original story. Rambo died at the end of the book First Blood was based on, which just drives the point home. They even filmed that ending but didn't use it.

It wasn't even that Rambo just "died" at the end of First Blood (the novel), Trautman killed him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Trautman made me!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Seems like as good a time as any to mention I met David Morrell at a conference and mentioned how further iterations of Rambo continue to stray from his vision, to which he replied "it's their Rambo now, but my checks still clear"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He even wrote the novelizations to Rambos 2 & 3.

But he's a cool guy, and was even kind enough to respond when I asked him a question on Twitter.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

BiggerBoat posted:

Jared Leto's either. He is sometimes a good actor but the lines he seemed to cross on the set of Suicide Squad are pretty hard to hand wave with a method acting brush.

That was definitely the cast & crew having a joke at nerd media's expense.

Like, I'm pretty sure they didn't actually have psychologists on set because the comical SciFi action of crime clown & gator boy was just too intense lol

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blood Boils posted:

That was definitely the cast & crew having a joke at nerd media's expense.

Like, I'm pretty sure they didn't actually have psychologists on set because the comical SciFi action of crime clown & gator boy was just too intense lol

He's still an alleged pedo and proven cult leader creep.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's still an alleged pedo and proven cult leader creep.

He probably is, but you also shouldn’t believe everything said to hype up movies is always literally true and the “tales of joker on set” stuff was very clearly intentional hype about how edgy and raw the joker is that even in real life he’s driving the actors mad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He probably is, but you also shouldn’t believe everything said to hype up movies is always literally true and the “tales of joker on set” stuff was very clearly intentional hype about how edgy and raw the joker is that even in real life he’s driving the actors mad.

Oh I agree, but it's very easy to believe he, a scumbag, would do poo poo like send used condoms to his female cast mates "to get into character."

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*replaces blanks with hollow points to get into character

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Leto unscrewing the lid on the salt shaker is when I personally decided the line had been crossed.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Darko posted:

Mackey was a kind of antihero early on, but became a villain by the end. I think he even shifted away from being the main protagonist towards the end into an antagonist.

Mackey literally murders another cop in cold blood in the first episode

He's always the protagonist though because protagonist means 'character we follow who incites the action' not 'good person'. Same as Walter White.

It's understandable to want to see him succeed in a way that its fun to watch bad people execute crazy schemes, but its not like his story was one of moral decline, he's a piece of poo poo from day one.

The Shield does have a handful of Good Cops but the general thrust of the show is generally that the LAPD sucks. Its based on the real rampart scandal and the LAPD's CRASH unit (who allegedly murdered Biggie Smalls).

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 19, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

edit: nvm

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

massive spider posted:

Mackey literally murders another cop in cold blood in the first episode

He's always the protagonist though because protagonist means 'character we follow who incites the action' not 'good person'. Same as Walter White.

It's understandable to want to see him succeed in a way that its fun to watch bad people execute crazy schemes, but its not like his story was one of moral decline, he's a piece of poo poo from day one.

The Shield does have a handful of Good Cops but the general thrust of the show is generally that the LAPD sucks. Its based on the real rampart scandal and the LAPD's CRASH unit (who allegedly murdered Biggie Smalls).

There were points where he's going against a larger villain (ie. Anthony Anderson, in a surprisingly good role) and moves into the antihero role as a protagonist. He just becomes a full villainous antagonist by the end.

Hannibal Lector eats people but he's fully antihero in Hannibal (movie) as another example of a shifting character.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

sticklefifer posted:

I just watched Rambo: Last Blood (it’s on Prime) thanks to this discussion. Watch this film if you want to see human traffickers get loving owned. It’s cathartic in a post-Epstein world.

Thread topic: I do think you should separate art from the artist. Most art is made by drug addicts, abusive assholes, cult fanatics like Tom Cruise, etc. It does not mean you endorse their actions or views.

E; Spelling.

commielingus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 19, 2021

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

sticklefifer posted:

First Blood examined PTSD and the horrible way the US treated returning Vietnam vets,

Actually that part of rambo has been roundly criticized in recent years.

PTSD and vagrancy sure, but the "spit on me and call me baby killer" bit has not really been part of contemporaneous accounts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

twerking on the railroad posted:

PTSD and vagrancy sure, but the "spit on me and call me baby killer" bit has not really been part of contemporaneous accounts

Next you're gonna tell me no one burned their bras!!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

twerking on the railroad posted:

You show me a soldier who willingly signed up for the army for reasons other than "I had no choice due to my financial situation" or "it was this or prison" and I'll spit on them and call them worse than a baby killer right now.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

No you won’t

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

uh, you know the draft didn't end until after vietnam. it was the antiwar movement making a case that it's immoral to serve, even if compelled to, that ended the draft.

I bring this up because it was really not the case that people signed up for vietnam

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Voice of Labor posted:

uh, you know the draft didn't end until after vietnam. it was the antiwar movement making a case that it's immoral to serve, even if compelled to, that ended the draft.

I bring this up because it was really not the case that people signed up for vietnam

I figured the draft would go without saying. It's no one's fault who was drafted, of course.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

You show me a soldier who willingly signed up for the army for reasons other than "I had no choice due to my financial situation" or "it was this or prison" and I'll spit on them and call them worse than a baby killer right now.

lol

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Hi there!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Wait what's worse than a baby killer

and u can't say "litter bug" we're not all Canucks here

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PeterCat posted:

Hi there!

I'm not actually going to derail the thread but if you really want someone to insult you this badly I suggest looking for a mistress (or master, whatever you're into) instead of asking for it on internet forums! Short of that, you can DM me if you want me to let you know exactly what I think of you and your disgusting profession. This will be my last post on the matter!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Dawg I dunno what point you're trying to make, but as the youths like to say; this ain't it chief!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Closing the thread! Thanks for a lot of mostly good and mature posting!