Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

he said he “spoke to an engineer” which could mean on the phone as I understand it. But more importantly who cares

It's 11pm round my parts. Only a friend would answer that call as well in my opinion thought it wasn't an actual call. They are also giving me a solution to a phantom drain problem I'm having with the GroverBattery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Your "engineer" friend isn't of any help. There is no 100V-DC system anywhere on your van. Edit: getting A and V wrong kills people.

A 100Ah "1380Wh" deep cycle battery will be good for ~50% of that due to its chemistry. See Peukert's law.
So lets take 100Ah * 1/2, that leaves you with 50Ah capacity to work with.
.5C you speak of is is 25Ah 25Ah*12V is ~300Wh. a basic battery power tool? sure. Heated blanket? 2-5 hours depending. CPAP machine? ~5 hours. All this poo poo at once? not on your life, kid.
These times are all perfect scenarios, That inverter is probably 80% efficient at best, so your run time is going deeper into the timbershitter.
Vent the battery to atmosphere, not internally to the coach as it emits hydrogen during charging.

A Ford 1G alternator in good health should be good for 20-30A at idle, 2/3G around 40ish. 1G alternators tend to overheat. and the full 80A at 1500 engine rpm or so. (5000 alternator rotor rpm). Its an econoline, go get the heavy duty ambo parts.

Want to run big power? 4x golf cart batteries in a 2S2P array at minimum.

tldr: a single deep cycle battery isn't worth poo poo, and your "engineer" friend is wrong, stop listening to them.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 25, 2021

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rytheric posted:

They were suggesting that im not using corded power tools because my system couldn't hand it. And when I confirmed it wouldn't handle it, but that I could charge a battery for are battery powered one. They suggested a 10 amp corded power tool would work with my 1250w inverter without considering the constrains of my battery and that the 1250w was a 2x safety factor.

Both the lithium tool battery chargers I own are rated at <100W to charge batteries.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

cursedshitbox posted:

Your "engineer" friend isn't of any help. There is no 100V-DC system anywhere on your van.

A 100Ah "1380Wh" deep cycle battery will be good for ~50% of that due to its chemistry. See Peukert's law.
So lets take 100Ah * 1/2, that leaves you with 50Ah capacity to work with.
.5C you speak of is is 25Ah 25Ah*12V is ~300Wh. a basic battery power tool? sure. Heated blanket? 2-5 hours depending. CPAP machine? ~5 hours. All this poo poo at once? not on your life, kid.
These times are all perfect scenarios, That inverter is probably 80% efficient at best, so your run time is going deeper into the timbershitter.
Vent the battery to atmosphere, not internally to the coach as it emits hydrogen during charging.

A Ford 1G alternator in good health should be good for 20-30A at idle, 2/3G around 40ish. 1G alternators tend to overheat. and the full 80A at 1500 engine rpm or so. (5000 alternator rotor rpm). Its an econoline, go get the heavy duty ambo parts.

Want to run big power? 4x golf cart batteries in a 2S2P array at minimum.

tldr: a single deep cycle battery isn't worth poo poo, and your "engineer" friend is wrong, stop listening to them.

You hung up on one typo. It is pretty obvious I was referring to 100 dc amps considering I said it over and over in previous paragraphs. My heated blankets use less power combined than my cpap. I dont use everything at once. I'd trust my friend before I trust someone who got caught up on a typo or didn't research the scenario and ask appropriate questions before making a determination.

Edit: also the only thing that uses the inverter is the cpap if I use it. The inverters sole other purpose is to charge my battery.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 25, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

So you tried a post that gave you some sort of authority through an "expert" that was only known to you, and when challenged went all "lol I phoned a friend!"

I'm just trying to figure out whether you can be helped or not. If so, you need to stop...whatever this lying is.

I wasn't making an appeal to authority in that comment. I was explaining my frustration and why I was reacting excessively to what was being said. And clarifying what I will and won't do with my power system.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Have you figured out how you are going to mount the doors?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This lot still has the property line going through the neighbors house, right?

Why are you spending all this money to run samples and get certifications for problematic property you don’t own? Surely there is a more straightforward lot available somewhere?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

this property gets a little corner of the yellow house, pretty big bonus since its being sold as just having dilapidated buildings

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Motronic posted:

Look, I ran afoul of this thread so I've come back to make amends. Comments like this aren't constructive at all. I know, because I made them too.

What we need are real solutions for Rys problems, and sitting around shitposting isn't going to make this happen.

I have begun my experiments in how to use a power saw without all the noise. In this first attempt I've tried to duplicate the things Ry will have access to on his job site and removed the battery from the saw so you know I'm not trying to pull a fast one on any of you.

The setup needs a bit of work, but it's seriously almost perfect as it is. Just a few clamps and it should be totally efficient.

https://i.imgur.com/Uuei2iV.gifv

holy mary mother of god it's beautiful

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

Motronic posted:

So you tried a post that gave you some sort of authority through an "expert" that was only known to you, and when challenged went all "lol I phoned a friend!"

I'm just trying to figure out whether you can be helped or not. If so, you need to stop...whatever this lying is.

I mean he didn't really come here looking for your help, he's documenting his (mis)adventures because some people thought the forums would find it entertaining.

We don't need to be weirdly aggressive and creepy. Is his friend a real engineer? Who knows. Who cares? He says they are, you don't need their name, address and SSN for whatever weird investigation you're trying to do here.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

AdmiralViscen posted:

This lot still has the property line going through the neighbors house, right?

Why are you spending all this money to run samples and get certifications for problematic property you don’t own? Surely there is a more straightforward lot available somewhere?

I actually spoke to the neighbor today she was a lovely old lady. Apparently there is a deep grudge and dispute over the property boundary so when I do the survey. I'm going to have them stake and survey a couple of points and either give her 5 feet of the property extending past the house after I buy it if she accepts it to resolve the issue or give her an easement. Unfortunately, just giving it too her will increase her tax burden so im going to see what she wants to do.

There are more straight forward lots, but most in this price range are labeled as non-percing unless proven otherwise so I would be spending money on an excavator anyway.

I want to go ahead and own it, but people keep cautioning me to wait for the permits.

My motivation for owning it is that its right next to my sail boat. It's near my work place. It has a nice view once everything is cleared and it has things that will help me during the build such as a source of water (the well) and defecation (the TimberShitter).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kim Jaym Il posted:

I mean he didn't really come here looking for your help, he's documenting his (mis)adventures because some people thought the forums would find it entertaining.

We don't need to be weirdly aggressive and creepy. Is his friend a real engineer? Who knows. Who cares? He says they are, you don't need their name, address and SSN for whatever weird investigation you're trying to do here.

Oh right....a call to authority when what you are being questioned doesn't' have to be a call to ACTUAL authority. We should just think that this is a thing.

I mean, I'm just pretending to know what I'm talking about. There is no way that I actually own the equipment he's talking about that you need to do these things or have done them with less when necessary, etc. So what the gently caress would I know?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 25, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Kim Jaym Il posted:

You know. If they just played toilet eve (eve echoes) they would have a more understanding of what's going on and where I came from. At least 3 corporations have me in their discord simply to keep tabs on my progress.

I do appreciate the help, many have helped along the way, and I do appreciate the ocassional ribbing. I was asked to post it here not only for suggestions to benefit me but also because a collective suggested that it would serve as entertainment to the greater goon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have a friend who builds and repairs log houses. He uses a lot of hand tools and axes (some of them he forges himself), but to get things done in an economical way there are two powered tools he uses, a chain saw and an electric hand planer. The chain saw in particular is the most important power tool.

Just saying, if you feel like not going all manual on this, then a chain saw is the next step, and then would be a very durable power drill to drill holes for dowels, for aligning and holding the logs in place.

Now here is a finnish log house built entirely with hand tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3J5wkJFJzE

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

Motronic posted:

Oh right....a call to authority when what you are being questioned doesn't' have to be a call to ACTUAL authority. We should just think that this is a thing.

I mean, I'm just pretending to know what I'm talking about. There is no way that I actually own the equipment he's talking about that you need to do these things or have done them with less when necessary, etc. So what the gently caress would I know?

I'm sure you know plenty about a lot of things and are good at what you do, I'm saying you're being really aggressive and creepy in your multi post crusade to prove that the OP is lying about something to you.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

I actually spoke to the neighbor today she was a lovely old lady. Apparently there is a deep grudge and dispute over the property boundary so when I do the survey. I'm going to have them stake and survey a couple of points and either give her 5 feet of the property extending past the house after I buy it if she accepts it to resolve the issue or give her an easement. Unfortunately, just giving it too her will increase her tax burden so im going to see what she wants to do.

I want to go ahead and own it, but people keep cautioning me to wait for the permits.

Awww, that's really nice of you. Easing may be easier for both of you, and allow you to reclaim the land when the house is demolished.

It is very, very smart to do a thorough job on your due diligence, it is incredibly easy to end up with a plot of worthless, unbuildable land.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a friend who builds and repairs log houses. He uses a lot of hand tools and axes (some of them he forges himself), but to get things done in an economical way there are two powered tools he uses, a chain saw and an electric hand planer. The chain saw in particular is the most important power tool.

Just saying, if you feel like not going all manual on this, then a chain saw is the next step, and then would be a very durable power drill to drill holes for dowels, for aligning and holding the logs in place.

Cordless electric chainsaws, particularly the Milwaukee 18V one, are getting REALLY good, they're also very quiet, good bars, and they have more torque than a two stroke model.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

I mean it was an actual authority, but it wasn't an appeal to authority. If I work for an engineering and science consulting firm, you'd think I'd have engineers on speed dial. I rent a parking lot space and room as needed from one who nixed the idea of me reusing the cinder block remains of the building.

The fact that you own the equipment used for this work or have gone without using it doesn't have much bearing over the reality of this project. I also don't see how it relates to my aversion to certain tools or how I want to build things.

I was ruminating on my ride back from the property today over one statement you made over why don't I just hire someone with equipment and realized most contractors in my area rent their equipment. I only know of a few big wigs who own their own and they are from a bygone Era. We rented an excavator to do the tank pull I randomly posted in here. If they don't rent it they charge us for it anyway incase theirs breaks down and they have to rent one or like on the pipeline work I did, the contractors force their project managers to rent from their own company. Renting it myself seem the most cost effective option based on who I was referred to and most charge more for residential work or don't work for occupant owned property.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Kim Jaym Il posted:

I'm saying you're being really aggressive and creepy in your multi post crusade to prove that the OP is lying about something to you.

see that's where you're wrong he's definitely not mad.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Awww, that's really nice of you. Easing may be easier for both of you, and allow you to reclaim the land when the house is demolished.

It is very, very smart to do a thorough job on your due diligence, it is incredibly easy to end up with a plot of worthless, unbuildable land.

I'm actually getting a bit of flack for this in the real world. My boss is demanding I either make the owner pay for the survey or have him pay for half and he is saying that I should sell it to her for $3000. I am actually the worse off of the two cause they have houses and I don't, but if I was selling land I wouldn't want to pay for someone else's exploratory mission nor would I want to essentially blackmail somebody for money over something that should have been handled a long time ago.

I also talked to her about the bamboo. She wants it gone an would be thrilled if I cleaned up the place. She said they use to play in my yard as kids and are ashamed of what it's become.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Why not just take off one of the grovertruk tires and use it to run everything mechanical with a huge rubber belt.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Cordless electric chainsaws, particularly the Milwaukee 18V one, are getting REALLY good, they're also very quiet, good bars, and they have more torque than a two stroke model.

This may or may not come to a surprise, but I am actually terrified of chainsaws. One time drill lead was hand clearing in front of our drill rig and after the drilling we noticed where all his guards got nicked and he almost kicked it back to my stomach at one point. This is why I'm not even suggesting felling the Timbers myself. I've only ever chopped down something as large as my arm and not with a chainsaw. Anything bigger than that im weary of where it may fall. I'm having a company fell and shape the Timbers for me.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

That's reassuring.

Real talk - Please write down your entire thing, start to finish, on paper. Then get someone to look it over for you who has applicable expertise and make a bunch of asterisks for where you should stop and reevaluate. You seem like a big boy entirely capable of making their own decisions, but the scope creep just from this thread is real and as a pm I want you to reign it in so I get to see this watertower observatory zipline helipad thing happen.

WRITE DOWN IDEAS AND MAKE LISTS. LISTS GOOD.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Kim Jaym Il posted:

I'm sure you know plenty about a lot of things and are good at what you do, I'm saying you're being really aggressive and creepy in your multi post crusade to prove that the OP is lying about something to you.

OP is lying to himself and is going to get himself, or someone else, hurt because of his ignorance and resistance to help from people who have actual experience in what he's trying to accomplish

On top of the fact that a box truck shouldn't have to be framed with 2"x4"s like it's a structure, when it's constructed like this:
It raises a lot of red flags about OP's ability to do more complex carpentry
Not only are the walls not actually attached to one another in any substantial way, the only reason those walls are vertical at all is because no actual load is being placed on them, so his Jenga tower of lumber won't topple

Buy real tools, sort out the woefully inadequate electrical set up, and listen when people try to help

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

That was actually a very beautiful clip thank you. I really appreciate videos like these. One thing I noted is that they used one of the techniques I had mentioned from the book I have to raise the beams. They used ramps to assist them which was cool.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

OP is lying to himself and is going to get himself, or someone else, hurt because of his ignorance and resistance to help from people who have actual experience in what he's trying to accomplish

On top of the fact that a box truck shouldn't have to be framed with 2"x4"s like it's a structure, when it's constructed like this:
It raises a lot of red flags about OP's ability to do more complex carpentry
Not only are the walls not actually attached to one another in any substantial way, the only reason those walls are vertical at all is because no actual load is being placed on them, so his Jenga tower of lumber won't topple

Buy real tools, sort out the woefully inadequate electrical set up, and listen when people try to help

I didn't decide to use 2x4s or 2x6s for structural support. I believe I have mentioned this, but rather to provide thicker insulation cavities. One of my complaints with modern rvs is the insulation and amount of energy needed to heat them. The bedroom is even bigger than I actually wanted for retaining heat. If it was smaller it'd be better.

It was also to get some practice. Originally, I was going to restore the cinderblock structure on the site. Block up the fourth wall then stickframe the inside to insulate it more. However when I asked the county if I could restore it, they told me to ask an engineer. So a structural engineer said probably not based on photos and that a section looked like it was on a retaining, but he would send another structural engineer out to look.
My boss who is a geotechnical engineer went and looked at it with me to do a bearing capacity determination and after he told me to probe under the slab to find a foundation that wasn't there he reiterated that I shouldn't use it.

The whole point of the TimberShitter is not only a for a place to defecate while working but also to give me more experience prior to building the MurderHaus. I am also helping someone Timberframe a garage for experience prior to building the MurderHaus. He is going to be using my cinder blocks as crush and run for his driveway. So im not just going to start day one on MurderHaus with no experience.

Edit: also some of the walls are not locked in place yet because I will likely have to take some apart to readjust for the French doors. I may just plane the discrepancies out though.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 25, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rytheric posted:

This may or may not come to a surprise, but I am actually terrified of chainsaws. One time drill lead was hand clearing in front of our drill rig and after the drilling we noticed where all his guards got nicked and he almost kicked it back to my stomach at one point. This is why I'm not even suggesting felling the Timbers myself. I've only ever chopped down something as large as my arm and not with a chainsaw. Anything bigger than that im weary of where it may fall. I'm having a company fell and shape the Timbers for me.

Ah, well I'm sure you know they can be used safely, they're a good tool to be afraid of.

If you change your mind you can always drive the murdertruk out to the West Coast and help me fell a few Alder, I should have enough for all the timbers you need, and it's supposed to be pretty good for timber framing, fairly hard, somewhat resistant to rot, and not hard enough that it's particularly hard to work with hand tools.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Getting bad wibes from the thread now. :(

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

And it will take Ry 20 years to build it, he'll live in it for 10, and then it will sit abandoned and rotting for the next 470 years.

In year 335 After Ry, a pair of skunks burrow into the buried cab and raise ~84 kits. The smell never goes away.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't get over the idea that you've justified chiseling plywood to be the best solution for cutting it. If noise and dust are the problem well you'll get the same amount of noise and dust from a handsaw, but you'll just take 50 times as long to make it. If you just want to use hand tools them fine, but a chisel is absolutely not the best way to cut it.

How's the scale house coming along?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

cakesmith handyman posted:

I can't get over the idea that you've justified chiseling plywood to be the best solution for cutting it. If noise and dust are the problem well you'll get the same amount of noise and dust from a handsaw, but you'll just take 50 times as long to make it. If you just want to use hand tools them fine, but a chisel is absolutely not the best way to cut it.

How's the scale house coming along?

I labeled all the lumber and inspected it. They actually gave me like 5 free pieces just to make the bundling easier. I've been distract by work and you fine people though. I accidently volunteered myself for too much work and I'm drowning. Going to have to pull a weekender and grovel at some point. I shouldn't have accepted the sinking railroad track project even though it's kind of the simplest.

It doesn't make the same loudness of noise. Circ saws have the loud high pitch whine to them. With a saw I can determine how much noise I generate or pace it out so it's bearable. Same with hammering nails. If my ears start aggravating me I slow down the pace til it doesn't bother me or I hammer in bursts and wait for my ears to calm down. The dust generation differences is extreme if I rip a 16 foot board with a pull saw I just get a line of dust and the dust is thicker. A circ saw cuts tiny fragments over and over and throws it everywhere.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So one thing I do need help with is how to get rid of this bamboo and ideas of what to do with it. I could potentially store it in a storage unit and make like cups and chairs with it or something.

I will also need help with the physical demo if the guys in the Lan section want to help lol.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Accidental telescope, accidental expensive date, accidental musical instrument, accidental railroad project.

Place your bets on what accident will happen next.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

CubicalSucrose posted:

Accidental telescope, accidental expensive date, accidental musical instrument, accidental railroad project.

Place your bets on what accident will happen next.

Just to be clear. I am not building a sinking railroad. Someone else built it and it did well for 17 of it 20 year life span. Just recommending ways to fix it.

Edit: spa date doesn't look like it's happening. We were talking about setting it for my next paycheck then she stopped responding so I am disengaging and re-engaging with second of the year (I'm not listing numbers with derogatory intent just because I don't want to name names). Her and I have a date for Sunday.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 25, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Elviscat posted:

My friend hates battery powered tools though, only ones he deigns to have is an impact driver and drill, since those are must-haves, but otherwise he prefers corded tools and preferrably built before 1960, he also doesn't have a smart phone and pays everything in cash, goes to the bank and pays his bills in person and also takes out money from there. He is 39.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rytheric posted:

I remember when I was 10 or 12 and my grandfather handed me and my cousins (around same age) a chainsaw and told us to cut some firewood. I was really afraid of it but most of my cousins thought it was really fun, they went on to become typical teenagers obsessed with working on their mopes and whatnot while I got excited over a 286 PC. I've overcome that now however, mostly. Me and my dad felled all the trees on my .8 acre property so that'll teach you.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

If I wasn't profiting off my company giving me a stipend for my phone. I dont know if I would have it. I have a flip phone as my tertiary standby that I would probably use instead. But then I wouldn't get to fly with the occasional geese.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I remember when I was 10 or 12 and my grandfather handed me and my cousins (around same age) a chainsaw and told us to cut some firewood. I was really afraid of it but most of my cousins thought it was really fun, they went on to become typical teenagers obsessed with working on their mopes and whatnot while I got excited over a 286 PC. I've overcome that now however, mostly. Me and my dad felled all the trees on my .8 acre property so that'll teach you.

I think a lack of experience in that endeavor is what makes me nervous about them. There is a high risk involved for no experience. Then even if you cut to a schematic that doesn't mean the tree is balanced that way or will fall the way you want.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

18 Character Limit posted:

In year 335 After Ry, a pair of skunks burrow into the buried cab and raise ~84 kits. The smell never goes away.

Skunks don't actually smell all that bad, just a bit musky like most animals. It's when they defend themselves by releasing stink that it gets bad and they'd probably avoid doing that in their own home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kim Jaym Il posted:

I have absolutely no problem with someone pointing out, in detail, how dangerous something is. The further posts are due to that advice being completely ignored. An amateur that thinks they know better than a professional is how people get killed.