Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Rytheric posted:

I think a lack of experience in that endeavor is what makes me nervous about them. There is a high risk involved for no experience. Then even if you cut to a schematic that doesn't mean the tree is balanced that way or will fall the way you want.

Well I dunno about america but there are beginners courses here for people, and modern chainsaws are a lot safer than the old ones and nowadays too they have protective pants that can protect your legs and stomach from a chainsaw. Works by tangling up the chainsaw instantly so it stalls.

I'd really consider one if I where you, I plan to do a lot of the work with an axe, but I will do stuff like notching the log using a chainsaw, also cutting it to length. My friend uses the chainsaw to cut joints and then finishes up with the axe or chisels.

This is kinda OT but you seem to like this kind of stuff too. Here's an FB video of him and some others doing a renovation on a museum wind mill, turning a log into a new shaft:
https://fb.watch/3T3kqS8AXR/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

serious gaylord posted:

I have absolutely no problem with someone pointing out, in detail, how dangerous something is. The further posts are due to that advice being completely ignored. An amateur that thinks they know better than a professional is how people get killed goldmined.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Perhaps the bamboo can be harvested and sold?
I'm in need of a few meters of it for decoration but I'm on a different continent.

Even better would be getting other people to come harvest it themselves saving you effort and funding the truk

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Rytheric posted:

So one thing I do need help with is how to get rid of this bamboo and ideas of what to do with it. I could potentially store it in a storage unit and make like cups and chairs with it or something.

You do not need more project material. Put an ad up on CL or try someplace like https://buymybamboo.com/ to get rid of it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bamboo? Construction scaffolding?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lodin posted:

Getting bad wibes from the thread now. :(

Groverhaus wasn't much different.

Once the initial magic of watching a trainwreck-in-progress wears off, you start to notice really unpleasant poo poo that makes the situation seem kinda hosed up. Also doesn't help that this is a long-term project and there's currently very little to actually talk about besides an understandable lack of project updates, French doors-in-the-rain aside, and all of these highly entertaining but also highly weird stories about Ry's very unconventional life that seem to shed a different light on the whole thing.

Still a very fun thread but now that the honeymoon is over, a lot of the poo poo that might be seen as questionable/counterproductive/downright dangerous is surfacing.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

serious gaylord posted:

I have absolutely no problem with someone pointing out, in detail, how dangerous something is. The further posts are due to that advice being completely ignored. An amateur that thinks they know better than a professional is how people get killed.

There's a bunch of people being aggressively antagonistic though for no real reason other than they don't like what's goin on or being pissed their opinion isn't paramount. For one, just because Ry "isn't listening" to some rando rear end in a top hat on somethingawful.com doesn't mean he isn't listening to professionals because Ry has already stated he has asked professionals he works with and listens to what they say. There's more concern trolling to thinly veil being an rear end in a top hat than actually trying to help in this thread. Like, who fuckin cares if he doesn't want to use power tools? Who is that hurting? Dude's eccentric and that's fine. He's lived a different life, and he can do things differently. Critique what's actually seriously dangerous and not just a preferred way to do it, and don't be a loving rear end in a top hat about it. Bein a piece of poo poo about it is not going to get someone to listen to you. If they still don't wanna listen? Fine, you said your peace, move on, you can't stop everyone from doin something stupid if they really want to. But I've seen plenty of work by accredited professionals that make me question life because how bad it is that I'm not gonna seriously stress an amateur making an attempt to do something on their own. I myself have gone from being a self taught rank amateur at what I transitioned to getting paid a salary to do.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

he's listening to what arbitrarily sounds good/appealing to him and handwaving everything else, no matter the source, hth

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Anias posted:

It's the fifty gallon fire pit he wears as a cape.

lol

serious gaylord posted:

I have absolutely no problem with someone pointing out, in detail, how dangerous something is. The further posts are due to that advice being completely ignored. An amateur that thinks they know better than a professional is how people get killed.

im a professional and a doctor and i say rytheric keep on keepin on

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Motronic posted:

Oh right....a call to authority when what you are being questioned doesn't' have to be a call to ACTUAL authority. We should just think that this is a thing.

I mean, I'm just pretending to know what I'm talking about. There is no way that I actually own the equipment he's talking about that you need to do these things or have done them with less when necessary, etc. So what the gently caress would I know?

it doesnt matter eqeta

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OniPanda posted:

There's a bunch of people being aggressively antagonistic though for no real reason other than they don't like what's goin on or being pissed their opinion isn't paramount. For one, just because Ry "isn't listening" to some rando rear end in a top hat on somethingawful.com doesn't mean he isn't listening to professionals because Ry has already stated he has asked professionals he works with and listens to what they say. There's more concern trolling to thinly veil being an rear end in a top hat than actually trying to help in this thread. Like, who fuckin cares if he doesn't want to use power tools? Who is that hurting? Dude's eccentric and that's fine. He's lived a different life, and he can do things differently. Critique what's actually seriously dangerous and not just a preferred way to do it, and don't be a loving rear end in a top hat about it. Bein a piece of poo poo about it is not going to get someone to listen to you. If they still don't wanna listen? Fine, you said your peace, move on, you can't stop everyone from doin something stupid if they really want to. But I've seen plenty of work by accredited professionals that make me question life because how bad it is that I'm not gonna seriously stress an amateur making an attempt to do something on their own. I myself have gone from being a self taught rank amateur at what I transitioned to getting paid a salary to do.

these are the kind of posts that always get brought back up during the post mortem so thanks for keeping the dream alive

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Could be a fun thread, but we've violently steered towards a fate in which the chances of someone getting banned approaches one as time goes on.

schmug
May 20, 2007

I just need to see Ry cut plywood with a chisel.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

schmug posted:

I just need to see Ry cut plywood with a chisel.

I might post a video of it with my misty camera over the weekend for you.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Drone posted:

Groverhaus wasn't much different.

Once the initial magic of watching a trainwreck-in-progress wears off, you start to notice really unpleasant poo poo that makes the situation seem kinda hosed up. Also doesn't help that this is a long-term project and there's currently very little to actually talk about besides an understandable lack of project updates, French doors-in-the-rain aside, and all of these highly entertaining but also highly weird stories about Ry's very unconventional life that seem to shed a different light on the whole thing.

Still a very fun thread but now that the honeymoon is over, a lot of the poo poo that might be seen as questionable/counterproductive/downright dangerous is surfacing.

That part where it derailed last night was that I got concerned and frustrated because I kept saying I couldn't do something with my power system and people were trying to convince me I could. It was the inverse of the general trend of the thread. Then when I reiterated that an engineer mentioned that I could (-1 point to by arguement), but it'd be a terrible idea (+1 point to my argument) people seemingly got offended that an engineer didn't agree with them or in Motronics case outright called me a liar cause I wouldn't dox my friend.

It'll be okay. I typically don't get frustrated and derailed like that.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Rytheric posted:

I might post a video of it with my misty camera over the weekend for you.

Sweet! Thank you.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

In college my buddy's apartment had bamboo in the backyard, and he would cut and carve little bamboo bongs (for tobacco purposes only) and sell them to college stoners for :10bux: a pop. He "marketed" them as disposable and biodegradable and they were actually pretty neat.

In short: Sell groverbongs to fund your murderhaus

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rytheric posted:

Then when I reiterated that an engineer mentioned that I could (-1 point to by arguement), but it'd be a terrible idea (+1 point to my argument) people seemingly got offended that an engineer didn't agree with them or in Motronics case outright called me a liar cause I wouldn't dox my friend.

"Yo, my buddy is an <engineer/plumber/house inspector> and he says it's fine!!!1" has a long and storied history in home improvement (and in this subforum, just ask anyone about the goon who cut away half his joists in the bathroom and then tried to get himself certified as a home inspector to get around his gigantic mistake) so you gotta understand a bit of where that's coming from.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Drone posted:

"Yo, my buddy is an <engineer/plumber/house inspector> and he says it's fine!!!1" has a long and storied history in home improvement (and in this subforum, just ask anyone about the goon who cut away half his joists in the bathroom and then tried to get himself certified as a home inspector to get around his gigantic mistake) so you gotta understand a bit of where that's coming from.

I think you might be mixing up beatmasterj who cut his joists and then paid an engineer/contractor to fix it, and grover who got himself certified so he could sign off his electrics (I think?).

Beatmasterj's excuse was that he was loaded and who cares if it costs 3x to fix his mistakes than it would to have it done right first.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You do not need more project material. Put an ad up on CL or try someplace like https://buymybamboo.com/ to get rid of it.

I will check that out. They say they want an acre though I have less than a quarter acre of it unfortunately.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

in every epic goon thread theres always at least one dude who's like :byodood: "I don't believe your stepson really thinks hes a Saiyan!" or :byodood: "Did your street sweeper really catch on fire? Did you document it with pictures? SHOW US YOUR PICTURES."

goons gonna goon gonna goon.

Personally, I think Ry is a kinda weird, but very self aware dude who knows full well hes not doing things the most efficient or best way (or even a good way) but hes doing poo poo the way he wants to. Maybe it will fail. Maybe catastrophically. Maybe by the end of this journey he'll be wishing he had done things completely differently. He knows theres a possibility of that, but he's forging ahead anyway, even though he might be embarrassed later.

I don't think hes lying about anything though. And more importantly: even if he is, I dont really care. Im here to read an entertaining thread by a guy who wants to put a fire pit in the back of his box truck.

Hes not asking for help. Hes documenting his process. Can we just, for once, not :imunfunny: a thread to death?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Please do not :imunfunny: the thread to death until op has had full opportunity to :roflolmao: himself to death, literally.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Digital Prophet posted:

in every epic goon thread theres always at least one dude who's like :byodood: "I don't believe your stepson really thinks hes a Saiyan!" or :byodood: "Did your street sweeper really catch on fire? Did you document it with pictures? SHOW US YOUR PICTURES."

goons gonna goon gonna goon.

Personally, I think Ry is a kinda weird, but very self aware dude who knows full well hes not doing things the most efficient or best way (or even a good way) but hes doing poo poo the way he wants to. Maybe it will fail. Maybe catastrophically. Maybe by the end of this journey he'll be wishing he had done things completely differently. He knows theres a possibility of that, but he's forging ahead anyway, even though he might be embarrassed later.

I don't think hes lying about anything though. And more importantly: even if he is, I dont really care. Im here to read an entertaining thread by a guy who wants to put a fire pit in the back of his box truck.

Hes not asking for help. Hes documenting his process. Can we just, for once, not :imunfunny: a thread to death?

Yeah, I mean that's fair but I'm gonna say that my family owns a good sized, union shop commercial construction business, and I've been swinging a hammer since I was old enough to join my dad and brothers on jobsites. I have journeyman level skills in 4 trades, and I really, really love the building things.

It was a lifelong dream to build my own house, and I finally got the opportunity and went for it. I'm not even sure that I can convey just how much work it is to build a house from scratch. Of course my dad and brothers helped me, but I was absolutely insistent on self-performing everything that I possibly could.

By the time I was putting switch covers on the walls after 18 months of nights and weekends (after working my day job), I was ready to hang myself.

That's with every possible advantage that you can possibly imagine: years of experience, my older brothers and dad's knowledge, free access to equipment and tools that most people cannot fathom, and also a budget that wasn't much restricted because the family business (I could charge what I couldn't immediately afford bc of vendor accounts).

That said, Ry doesn't have the background, tools or access to expertise to actually do what he wants to accomplish. I'm not saying that he can't do it. No one job is individually that difficult that a moderately smart person can't figure it out.

Yet, he's also hamstringing himself by balking at using modern tools. Ok, sure. People do that. He also wants to build using a method not suited for a single man to perform by himself. People do that too. The problem is that he is not aware of how much work he's actually facing and he wants to invent his own methodology as he goes and he wants to use hand tools and do it alone and eschew advice.

I'm saying he better re-evaluate a few of those self-imposed limitations, or he's in for a bad time

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

D-LINK posted:

He also wants to build using a method not suited for a single man to perform by himself. People do that too. The problem is that he is not aware of how much work he's actually facing and he wants to invent his own methodology as he goes and he wants to use hand tools and do it alone and eschew advice.

The part about this that he also doesn't realize is that it's the kind of thing a wealthy person can do for a vanity project, but he's not financially stable at all, regardless of his claims. We see this throughout the thread.

What's going to happen when he get a bill from the engineer who's "going to make his plans to code" (this bill will be at least double what he thinks) and submits these plans for permit review is that he's going to end up with both the few hundred dollar permit fee and ANOTHER multi-thousand dollar bill along with it. It will be from the municipalities contract engineering firm, the one all munis have on contract for things just like....say...someone wants to use a building technique that, while in the building code, absolutely nobody at the office has ever dealt with so it goes for outside review.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rescope the project to make finishing GroverTruk your primary goal. The rest is just window dressing and distracts from the ultimate goal, even the (by all accounts not great?) land you're buying.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

The part about this that he also doesn't realize is that it's the kind of thing a wealthy person can do for a vanity project, but he's not financially stable at all, regardless of his claims. We see this throughout the thread.

What's going to happen when he get a bill from the engineer who's "going to make his plans to code" (this bill will be at least double what he thinks) and submits these plans for permit review is that he's going to end up with both the few hundred dollar permit fee and ANOTHER multi-thousand dollar bill along with it. It will be from the municipalities contract engineering firm, the one all munis have on contract for things just like....say...someone wants to use a building technique that, while in the building code, absolutely nobody at the office has ever dealt with so it goes for outside review.

I'm not sure that backwater NC is gonna be that bad with codes and permits, but this is an extremely salient point too

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

I'm okay with that. Basically the cost of things is what is setting the pace and myself setting my pace. Once I get the septic permit, I have 5 years to build the septic. Hopefully I can come up with a second excavator rental within that 5 years time. (Two weeks will cover it).

What makes things hard in my opinion is people being in a rush to do things because they have to meet deadlines. My professional job would be 1000 times less stressful without all the deadlines.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I just gave you an extended laundry list of why this is difficult and zero of them have anything to do with time constraints

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Drone posted:

Rescope the project to make finishing GroverTruk your primary goal. The rest is just window dressing and distracts from the ultimate goal, even the (by all accounts not great?) land you're buying.

That I can probably do. Buying the land was my current primary goal. I don't see myself walking away from it even if the county disagrees with the soil scientist. Public water will be moving that way eventually. It's just that if it doesn't perk, the MurderHaus will become a MurderCabin with the TimberShitter becoming a permanent feature.

I'm weary of focusing on GroverTruk because I want to reserve my money for the land and fees until at least the septic permit process is done. It's going to be another $400-$500 to floor, cieling, and door the GroverTruk. Which I should be doing instead of honoring my word about giving third of the year her spa date.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I'm okay with that.

If you're okay with this why are you so stuck on a property that, let's be honest, is full of problems. It has two useless structures that needs to be demoed. It has a well that needs to be closed properly. This is not cheap. Both of those outhouse pits are going to need to be closed at some point most likely.

It's costing thousands of dollars just to get it surveyed, there's already a known encroachment of some else's structure on it. You're spending nearly a couple thousand dollars just trying to see if it will perc for septic, which it may or may not.

It isn't large enough, even with what ought to be pretty lax zoning codes, to allow what you wanted to do on it anyway.

What exactly is the up side of this awful property?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Drone posted:

:yeah:

Unlike some other opinions here, I'd actually like to see this go somewhere other than being mired in unbelievable project creep that doesn't make good content for anyone. The goon actually snoozing in the truck being included in that.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

um excuse me posted:

I think you'd benefit from a bit of scope. You know what you want, but the problem is it changes every other post lol. I think if you focus on GroverTruk and follow through with it, you might find your goals for Murderhaus and TimberShitter more clear by understanding what itches GroverTruk does not scratch.

That makes two for "just finish the truck first".

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Motronic posted:

If you're okay with this why are you so stuck on a property that, let's be honest, is full of problems. It has two useless structures that needs to be demoed. It has a well that needs to be closed properly. This is not cheap. Both of those outhouse pits are going to need to be closed at some point most likely.

It's costing thousands of dollars just to get it surveyed, there's already a known encroachment of some else's structure on it. You're spending nearly a couple thousand dollars just trying to see if it will perc for septic, which it may or may not.

It isn't large enough, even with what ought to be pretty lax zoning codes, to allow what you wanted to do on it anyway.

location! location! location!

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

D-LINK posted:

I just gave you an extended laundry list of why this is difficult and zero of them have anything to do with time constraints

So I guess the disconnect im having here is that I read all that and said, well I don't know how big of a house they were trying to build or the type of construction, what the soil conditions were, or what kind of foundation you needed. I also mentioned way back that I don't care about that kind of difficulty. That's something that one just has to put up with, it's a given, so there is not reason to think about it or put a value on it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Reminder: :munch:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I also mentioned way back that I don't care about that kind of difficulty. That's something that one just has to put up with, it's a given, so there is not reason to think about it or put a value on it.

This is the kind of nonsense that guarantees you'll never actually get anything finished. This attitude of "things needs to happen, they may be easy, difficult or impossible but since they need to happen let's ignore scoping the problem" is how you end up sinking a bunch of time and money into something that becomes either 5x as expensive as you planned or you run into a 100% unviable showstopper.

You're not only trying to use construction techniques that aren't advisable, you're refusing to plan in any meaningful way. That's why this all comes off like a fever dream that will never, ever get anywhere close to happening.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

location! location! location!

That and I want to buy up land next to it as time goes on to do more with it. Also it does perc. Both I and a soil scientist have determined that it does, it's just doing the work needed to get the county to accepted what the soil scientist has said.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

That and I want to buy up land next to it as time goes on to do more with it. Also it does perc. Both I and a soil scientist have determined that it does, it's just doing the work needed to get the county to accepted what the soil scientist has said.

It doesn't perc unless the county says it percs. Nothing can change that.

You also have not performed the actual test the county uses to determine this.

You do not have enough money to fight the government over a substandard property that you don't even own.

oggb
Feb 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

It doesn't perc unless the county says it percs. Nothing can change that.

You also have not performed the actual test the county uses to determine this.

You do not have enough money to fight the government over a substandard property that you don't even own.

Like it or not this will never be your thread and nobody is here to listen to you piss and moan about HeS DoInG IT WrOnG u GuYs He S So DuMb Do It My WAy so please stop trying so hard.

This thread is funny. You were funny for a couple of posts. Now you're annoying and dragging the whole mood down.

Who hurt you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
OP if you feel the attitude of this thread is changing, it's because this is the point in the goon in a well story where you've begun digging.

Edit: as much as I don't care for the way Motronic is posting, he's reflecting upon a lot of the sentiments I feel. You simply can't will yourself to have the money, time, and expertise to do whatever you want. "I don't care how hard it is" is the reaction of someone in denial. Shore up your plans, set a goal, and then define where the problems are going to be and what is required to resolve them. Once you have them identified you can decide if your goals are feasible or if the scope needs to be scaled back.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 25, 2021