Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Custard Undies posted:

Your post just reminded me that we had plans of going to it for the first time this year.

I missed last year thanks to a family event but went multiple times before that. It’s an awesome event and nowhere near as big as the 1000 so you get free access to the back of the pits and are free to roam around the bottom half of the track as you please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The first year I went out a team spent about 8 hours changing the gearbox on a porsche and rebuilding the engine only for it to do the last lap and count as a finisher. I do miss that they've cut back the number of invitational entries to the marc cars entries and they aren't all that much fun. Seeing whats under the bodywork when they strip down the crashed cars is always interesting and certainly something that I wouldn't have thought I'd see during an active race tbh.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It was kinda the last international event held in Australia before all of the lockdown stuff happened and it also happened last year while the rest of the state was on fire which was put out a week later when we got 500mm of rain over 3 days. It'd be amazing to see a properly wet 12hr at some point but it happens at a time of year where we mostly just get storms and not consistent rain for a day. Even less so out at Bathurst which is a fair way from the coast.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Honestly the only thing better than the 12 hour was when they did 24 hours for a few years.

The thing I didn’t like about the 24 was Holden basically playing pay to win with the monaro that didn’t come close to the street car. I wouldn’t mind seeing it coming back as long as they had a decent field of both gt3 cars and a pile of race prepped production cars similar to how the Nurburgring 24 does things but with a smaller field cause the track is nowhere near the size.
I haven’t ever actually been at the 12 for the start cause I choose a slightly more civilized start to the day and live an hour from the track so I don’t normally roll up till 8am or so.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
boourns to that idea then. I'll continue to ignore supercars outside of bathurst then I guess.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
3 Hours left in the Nurburgring 24h qualifying race. Always good to watch cars fang it around even if it isn't the full 24hr edition.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
just a heads up that this weekend is the Nurburgring 24. I presume it'll be streamed on youtube as normal with radio lemans commentary.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
No probs. I honestly think that both it and spa are the better 24hr races for me both from ease of watching and the actual racing. I really want to like le mans but I find the track kinda boring and its a pain in the butt to watch in Australia cause the only legit streaming service that carries it doesn't really like to work with the level of internet that the government decided was good enough for the area that I live.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Stolen direct from facebook but it has all of the session times for the weekend

Keep up with the ADAC Total 24 Hours of Nurburgring with the schedule and live stream links below!
ADAC Total 24 Hours of Nurburgring Schedule
〰️Thursday〰️
12:30 GMT+2/6:30am est - Qualifying 1
https://youtu.be/l9Q9R1H6lVY
20:30 GMT+2/2:30pm est - Qualifying 2
https://youtu.be/iPcpSQnABRE
〰️Friday〰️
13:25 GMT+2/9:25am est - Qualifying 3
https://youtu.be/R5XZW9AG5Rs
17:50 GMT+2/11:50am est - Top Qualifying
https://youtu.be/0gtNvIPE4Dc
〰️Saturday〰️
11:15 GMT+2/5:15am est - Warm-up
https://youtu.be/Wh59uNZeAzk
15:30 GMT+2/9:30am est - Race
TBA
📸: 24hnbr

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Warm up is on now with the main event starting in 3 or so hours which for me is 10:30pm. I'll at least watch the start before I head to bed

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
currently its bone dry but I don't think it'll hold out till the end of the race given how cloudy it is.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Time zones mean I slept through all of the racing that happened previously and now I get to wait another 4.5 hours for anything to happen

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They should keep it 24 hours of racing and pause the timer during red flags :smug:

They'd be running till tuesday at the rate they're going. Next update in 10 minutes but given the fog I doubt it'll start before 8:30 am

Edit: No start before 8am

Dr. Garbanzo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 6, 2021

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
According to the live chat on youtube race restart is in 30 minutes behind the safety car for a formation lap and if it's good to go they'll go otherwise it'll be another lap behind the safety car.

At least it looks dry on the track.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
now 11:20

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
If the length of stoppage has no other positive the racing once they start should be intense.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
There seems to be decent patches of visibility around but not huge amounts

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And the spa 24 is in for an interesting 45 minutes if they keep racing. It's pissing down atm

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
In addition the track is dumb level narrow and only used on race weekends after all of the signs have been ripped out. While it’s great they let open wheelers race it’s not perhaps the safest track in the world to do that on. I’ve gone around a few times when it’s a normal road and there’s sections where you hope your don’t meet someone coming up the hill as you head down the hill

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah I remember it starting at 8am in the 90’s and it wouldn’t end till the current finish time.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The most Australian of safety cars for an echidna on the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Bathurst 12 hour has been pushed back again to may in light of the current covid surge. Given what happened to Novak don't expect any no vaxxed drivers to appear,