Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I was wondering if Bidens election would signal a return to a time when SNL writes jokes instead of just saying "member last week?!"

The opening sketch is not a good indicator.

This hedge fund art sketch is okay

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

They are supposed to be making a comedy show.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I haven't yet watched yesterday's surely terrible episode, but Phoebe Bridgers is very cool and her music is good.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

tarlibone posted:

I had never heard of her before I found out she was the musical guest. I was surprized at how excited people were. Now that I've seen the episode, I still don't get it. Not aggressively bad like some of the guests, just kind of boring. For me, she was about as meh as it gets. I didn't make it through a single song. So, did she smash a guitar or something? Was it that Danelectro?

I thought the rest of this week's episode was much better than last week's. I thought the Cheez-It commercial was great. And now that it's not an everyday slog, I am enjoying these occasional updates on former media influencer T****.

Episode was definitely better than last weeks.

Regarding Phoebe, idk there's no accounting for taste. I like some of her music because it presents as sad teenage girl music with playful lyrics. The song that people were complaining about is about the end of the world, and at the end she just started screaming and smashing her guitar, which is always cool imo.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I always wonder why they cut to straight-man characters who do nothing to actually build the sketches. Like, the Vagina Monologues but censored for high school students setup is fine, and all the ladies delivered well, but when you cut to a cast member whose only job is to say "are you seeing what I'm seeing?" or some equivalent, you are always going to lose me. One would think that you need the school kids characters to do something based on that setup, but the sketch kind of falls apart on that end, in my opinion.

SNL has had that problem for a while though, as evidenced by every sketch where three zany characters speak to a wall.

That's why the gameshow concept is always so good, because the host is the straight-man and he or she usually gets to meaningfully contribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

1glitch0 posted:

I do like the game show skits, but the straight-man charcter is kinda part of a bigger issue that SNL has had for decades, which is they seem incapable of making many sketches that aren't tv shows or in front of an audience of some kind. Like people just sitting in a living room for a skit is almost beyond them. There has to be some kind of audience watching the craziness or otherwise I guess they don't find it effective? I'm pretty sure Bob Odenkirk brought this up on a Mr. Show commentary in the loving 90s!

For sure! Its definitely not a new problem.

Do you remember anything specific about the commentary? I don't think I've heard it and I would like to check it out.

GreenNight posted:

What? One sketch was literally 4 women sitting in a living room opening gifts.

In that sketch they were literally all audience members just reading fake Homegoods signs. Granted, it actually got a few laughs out of me, but it was more of a meta response to how absurd the whole sketch was rather than anything funny the cast members were doing.

Which still counts.... I think?