Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Did anyone catch at the end during the goodbye that (I think) Machine Gun Kelly and Pete Davidson start wrestling and send each other headfirst off the stage? Krasinski does a double take and then rushes down to see if they're dead or not. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

a new study bible! posted:

I always wonder why they cut to straight-man characters who do nothing to actually build the sketches. Like, the Vagina Monologues but censored for high school students setup is fine, and all the ladies delivered well, but when you cut to a cast member whose only job is to say "are you seeing what I'm seeing?" or some equivalent, you are always going to lose me. One would think that you need the school kids characters to do something based on that setup, but the sketch kind of falls apart on that end, in my opinion.

SNL has had that problem for a while though, as evidenced by every sketch where three zany characters speak to a wall.

That's why the gameshow concept is always so good, because the host is the straight-man and he or she usually gets to meaningfully contribute.

I do like the game show skits, but the straight-man charcter is kinda part of a bigger issue that SNL has had for decades, which is they seem incapable of making many sketches that aren't tv shows or in front of an audience of some kind. Like people just sitting in a living room for a skit is almost beyond them. There has to be some kind of audience watching the craziness or otherwise I guess they don't find it effective? I'm pretty sure Bob Odenkirk brought this up on a Mr. Show commentary in the loving 90s!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

The Nastier Nate posted:

otoh Pete Davidson does an ok Andrew Cuomo

I don't know how it works, because it shouldn't, but he loving nailed it.