Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Japanese customers have to pay 100 yen to upgrade their PS4 copies of FF7:R. Everywhere else it's free? Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Among the FFVII announcements today, I misunderstood one of the trailers and thought Square was releasing all of the old FFVII games, such as Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus, as remasters in 2022. This is not the case, but I wish it was.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Among the FFVII announcements today, I misunderstood one of the trailers and thought Square was releasing all of the old FFVII games, such as Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus, as remasters in 2022. This is not the case, but I wish it was.

I don't think they'll be able to do crisis core or DoC ever because of Gackt's contract riders

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
strictly imho jrpgs should have weird missable poo poo and overwrought systems. i don't think i ever gave my xenoblade 2 characters their favorite musical instruments or whatever but it was fun that each town had a music shop

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Games these days (these days) are terrified of taking anything from the player. At worst you'll have an isolated sequence where you're without your allies or abilities/gear, but you get it back after a few minutes. I miss the days where you could straight up have all your poo poo stolen until you undertake an optional sidequest to get it back.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Two Disney princesses are joining Fortnite soon:

Xenomorph and Ridley!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Relax Or DIE posted:

strictly imho jrpgs should have weird missable poo poo and overwrought systems. i don't think i ever gave my xenoblade 2 characters their favorite musical instruments or whatever but it was fun that each town had a music shop

But then you end up with complaints from completionists. Some people can't stand not doing optional stuff. Look at trophies for another example.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Let the SaGa director direct every JRPG cowards.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I don't want to sound like a fuddy duddy, it is cool that FF7 fucks with the player and has missable things. But the two times FF7 has hosed with me so far (chocobo catching and charging me to use a save point) have been very frustrating

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I briefly thought FF7 Ever Crisis was going to be the straight remake of FF7 I've wanted for 15+ years with a nostalgic aesthetic to boot and I briefly got very excited but it sounds like it might just be a linear series of battles with cutscenes in between without any exploration or dungeon elements and now I'm back to being existentially unhappy again.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rinkles posted:

But then you end up with complaints from completionists. Some people can't stand not doing optional stuff. Look at trophies for another example.

i hear you, and i dismiss their concerns as unimportant

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

homeless snail posted:

yeah its good bullshit. also even after you recruit yuffie, she has a sidequest where she steals all of your materia

And after that sidequest, she returns the materia, but it's all out of order. :allears:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Accounting for inflation USD $40 (What many SNES and Genesis games cost) in 1990 is almost $82 dollars today, so $70 isn't unreasonable for AAA quality games.

It does mean I'll be buying even fewer big games since my salary puts me barely above the national poverty level and far below the regional level.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Walla posted:

Accounting for inflation USD $40 (What many SNES and Genesis games cost) in 1990 is almost $82 dollars today, so $70 isn't unreasonable for AAA quality games.

It does mean I'll be buying even fewer big games since my salary puts me barely above the national poverty level and far below the regional level.

look up minimum wage and cost of living in 1990 compared to today though.

also you can avoid paying full price for games by 1) not preodering 2) waiting a few weeks until it's on sale 3) buying it used. i haven't payed full price for a game in years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Walla posted:

No gently caress off.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wages are so stagnant you either rent a house with roommates and live off of 20k a year or you spend that much gambling on stock markets for shits and giggles because you got insurance and own a house and whatever already, then like a handful of people are so rich it's literally impossible to visualize with an ape brain

the plates coming down sooner or soonerer so o7 to all y'all topside, im going out chomping bread and circus

unless we start doing cool hats and guile, way better bc i hate being crushed no offense

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rinkles posted:

I don't know much about ffvii but are they selling chunks of the original as dlc? I thought yuffie was a pretty big part of the game

They didn't just straight remake FF7, instead they expanded it. So where midgar was a few hours in FF7, it was a whole game in FF7R. They're just now dipping into the post-midgar content, like Yuffie.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

look up minimum wage and cost of living in 1990 compared to today though.

I used 1990 because I remember what the games cost back then. I got my first job in '95 and graduated HS in '96, so I can remember how far a dollar could go back then.

It still didn't go that far when your weekly income was about $90 after taxes. :)

stev posted:

No gently caress off.

No you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol if you buy games outside of sales

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think the reason people are against games getting 15% more expensive is that it doesn't mean they'll be 15% better, all the extra money will go to executives.

I happily pay full price for indie games because it feels like those games making more money is a directly good influence

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

make a UK account so you can buy it for...$97 instead

:negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

stev posted:

Games these days (these days) are terrified of taking anything from the player. At worst you'll have an isolated sequence where you're without your allies or abilities/gear, but you get it back after a few minutes. I miss the days where you could straight up have all your poo poo stolen until you undertake an optional sidequest to get it back.

Yeah, more games need to let you fail. That's why Dark Souls is such a phenomenon. The lows means the highs are higher.

Simone Magus posted:

I think the reason people are against games getting 15% more expensive is that it doesn't mean they'll be 15% better, all the extra money will go to executives.

I happily pay full price for indie games because it feels like those games making more money is a directly good influence

:same:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Simone Magus posted:

Actually it's because everyone is broke due to serious economic inequality.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Khanstant posted:

Wages are so stagnant you either rent a house with roommates and live off of 20k a year or you spend that much gambling on stock markets for shits and giggles because you got insurance and own a house and whatever already, then like a handful of people are so rich it's literally impossible to visualize with an ape brain

Oh god this. I wish I could scrape up a couple grand to even attempt to play the market. Though I'd probably lose it all if I tried.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
who wished on a monkey paw saying they wanted Switch Wii U ports to be budget priced

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

stev posted:

It seems this has left a weird void where people seem super thirsty for the idea of a videogame where major chunks of the game require entire replays to experience.

Pre-release Cyberpunk discussion was a ton of people idly fantasizing about which lifepath to do first, with the expectation each path would be significantly divergent. I really wonder how popular that would actually be if any AAA game ever actually pursued that and pulled it off. If fantasy-world Cyberpunk 2077 was actually a game where each lifepath was it's own distinct 50-100 hour deal. Sounds like a really great deal in terms of how much time you'd be able to wring out of it, but possibly exhausting for compulsive-completion-disorder or for people who want to avoid spoilers for an indefinite length of time. The length of these games can also be itself a kind of hurdle for others, who don't have too much time to spare and don't wanna dedicate all year to trying to play the one game to completion.

Don't think we'll ever get to put it to the test. 300 hour game could just be 3 games instead. One game could be a nebulous fraction of a game, with self-splintering side games tangentially attached!

One day Warioware will be an assortment of 666 microgames, 180 dollars each, but you get 2 free ones for only one oxygen ration.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Khanstant posted:

It seems this has left a weird void where people seem super thirsty for the idea of a videogame where major chunks of the game require entire replays to experience.

Pre-release Cyberpunk discussion was a ton of people idly fantasizing about which lifepath to do first, with the expectation each path would be significantly divergent. I really wonder how popular that would actually be if any AAA game ever actually pursued that and pulled it off. If fantasy-world Cyberpunk 2077 was actually a game where each lifepath was it's own distinct 50-100 hour deal. Sounds like a really great deal in terms of how much time you'd be able to wring out of it, but possibly exhausting for compulsive-completion-disorder or for people who want to avoid spoilers for an indefinite length of time. The length of these games can also be itself a kind of hurdle for others, who don't have too much time to spare and don't wanna dedicate all year to trying to play the one game to completion.

Don't think we'll ever get to put it to the test. 300 hour game could just be 3 games instead. One game could be a nebulous fraction of a game, with self-splintering side games tangentially attached!

One day Warioware will be an assortment of 666 microgames, 180 dollars each, but you get 2 free ones for only one oxygen ration.

That's kinda what Witcher 2 went for, and for the most part pulled off pretty successfully, at least from a narrative stand-point.
It's just a lot to invest in a AAA game to have millions of dollars of assets that some people will never see

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

that's one reason why I love From's Souls games. they're not afraid to gate big chunks of games behind actions that most players would never do unless they lookup a game guide

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I mean, you could much more easily have a game that's shorter but has more replay value, and I think that's exactly what most people are asking for (and specifically was a theory floated in the cyberpunk thread before release, and also something CDPR talked about compared to The Witcher)

Also given how many people admit they never finish games, you'd think there'd be huge demand for this. Instead of making a 60+ hour RPG that only 40% of players finish, make a 20+ hour RPG that everybody finishes, but has 3 entirely different paths.

Makes sense eh?

But I think that's entirely tangential to having a game that allows the player to miss out on things or fail. That's more of a game-length discussion. Having a character or item that you can miss out on in the game and would have to replay for is pretty different from having entirely different playthroughs with different characters or playstyles or whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Definitely didn't finish Witcher 2, let alone the alternate path. Interesting to know it diverged though. In my defense, it ran like poo poo on my computer at the time and the text itself was really hard to read for some weird reason.

The controls and combat never felt very natural, comfortable, or intuitive on either kbm or controller but I might say that about all three.

20+ hour RPG is another route I don't think I recall experiencing yet, couldn't say if I'd replay the alt paths or not. I beat Cyberpunk whereas I did not for Witcher 2/3.

My steam stats only show 9 hours on Witcher 3, but also more achievements than I could do in 9 hours, also a ton of achievements all earned at the same time impossibly? I've definitely sunk way more into it than that, I started from scratch and got like halfway in different places both times.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Definitely didn't finish Witcher 2, let alone the alternate path. Interesting to know it diverged though. In my defense, it ran like poo poo on my computer at the time and the text itself was really hard to read for some weird reason.

The controls and combat never felt very natural, comfortable, or intuitive on either kbm or controller but I might say that about all three.

20+ hour RPG is another route I don't think I recall experiencing yet, couldn't say if I'd replay the alt paths or not. I beat Cyberpunk whereas I did not for Witcher 2/3.

My steam stats only show 9 hours on Witcher 3, but also more achievements than I could do in 9 hours, also a ton of achievements all earned at the same time impossibly? I've definitely sunk way more into it than that, I started from scratch and got like halfway in different places both times.

did you play offline? steam doesn't (or didn't) count offline in its time totals.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Before crepes I have to clear some 'za ingredients out of the queue

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

that's a beautiful pizza there

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That could be it, I have played some games offline for whatever errant reasons before and would explain the sudden batch of disparate achievements. I wonder also if I just played it elsewhere, but lost my progress whe na PC died. Seem to recall restarting MGSV for that reason.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

this is a good gamer pizza, really subtle reference to pacman. making me want pizza or pacmen prolly just gonna eat some garlic texas toast

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I do not like sausage but sausage in unquestionably S-tier in the pizza topping rankings

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i know other m is considered bad, but i just learned that it was a game in a 3D space where all of your movement was done with the dpad :psyduck:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

stev posted:

One of the route design decisions of Fire Emblem Three Houses was based around the idea that games should sometimes be mean, and that they get too predictable if the player can count on always keeping what they have

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Play Pathologic 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wait, RDR2 is on PC? when the gently caress did that happen :psyduck:

is it a good game, all I remember hearing is it's very pretty and almost too detailed