Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
Bowsette
Bowsette
Bowsette
Bowsette
Bowsette
View Results

Relax Or DIE
May 8, 2006

Rinkles posted:

i'm happy for you

thanks!!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah wow you could have gotten straight A's in high school, which in terms of your life as a whole would improve things because ?????????????

High school is a loving joke and parents are insane for insisting that it's super important, and this is coming from a high school teacher

I remember one time in high school my teachers got mad at me for bullshitting an essay, where the prompt was "my favorite congressman" because they were going to submit it to some contest. Like yeah, I don't have a favorite congressman, you got me, I had to pull something out of my rear end and did a poorly-researched paper because we had three days in-class to both research and write it.

for me it's extra funny because, while it never faded, the time my parents were most tyrannical about grades was middle school. of the 3 years of middle school i probably spent 1.5-2 of them grounded due to not caring about my grades in the puberty holding pen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i liked studying a lot when i was in college. probably couldn't do it now though. brain fried by too much internet

Wamdoodle
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah wow you could have gotten straight A's in high school, which in terms of your life as a whole would improve things because ?????????????

High school is a loving joke and parents are insane for insisting that it's super important, and this is coming from a high school teacher

I remember one time in high school my teachers got mad at me for bullshitting an essay, where the prompt was "my favorite congressman" because they were going to submit it to some contest. Like yeah, I don't have a favorite congressman, you got me, I had to pull something out of my rear end and did a poorly-researched paper because we had three days in-class to both research and write it.

Lol if anything, bullshitters are absolutely rewarded right now. Fake it till you make it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

Do US universities have a numerus clausus, that is to say, a minimum average grade you need to have to even be allowed to apply for certain types of college degrees? There's a bit of a practical benefit to having good grades where I live: it actually does give you more options, in a very tangible sense.

This is theoretically what the ACT/SAT scores are for, which are kind of like Japanese entrance exams. It's not rigid, but basically the higher your score the more likely you are to be accepted and the more financial aid you'll qualify for. The thing about them though is they are completely separate from grades, so you could do what I did where I hated school and did very poorly but then got really high SAT/ACT scores and got accepted into every school I applied to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cardiovorax posted:

Do US universities have a numerus clausus, that is to say, a minimum average grade you need to have to even be allowed to apply for certain types of college degrees? There's a bit of a practical benefit to having good grades where I live: it actually does give you more options, in a very tangible sense.

i had to, yeah.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Get the fuck in your cage and shut the fuck up, you stupid fucking Mexicans. Your voice doesn't fucking matter unless you support OUR rapist.

OBAMA DID NOTHING WRONG

grades (even at university) mean jackshit beyond your first job
young people would be better served being told that a college education is meant to signal you can hold a white collar job and not an abstract exercise in learning

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

A story I love is that I was sitting in on a call with a college admission counselor from a very high-profile art school and we were trying to get advice on developing a portfolio. The guy didn't even stop just short of, and explicitly said that they didn't care about grades at all and if the student work was good enough, that would prove they were committed enough to the process to be able to make it. So when another teacher asked us if we could talk to a student about not drawing in class, we were both like listen unless they're outright failing, this is objectively a better use of their time in terms of accomplishing what they want to do in life

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011
I got chased out of the Monster Hunter thread for garbage posting, now I shit up other Games threads with useless low-effort uninformed aggro noise. I somehow think "VN nerds" are beneath me and I belong on your ignore list.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is theoretically what the ACT/SAT scores are for, which are kind of like Japanese entrance exams. It's not rigid, but basically the higher your score the more likely you are to be accepted and the more financial aid you'll qualify for. The thing about them though is they are completely separate from grades, so you could do what I did where I hated school and did very poorly but then got really high SAT/ACT scores and got accepted into every school I applied to.
Convenient. Over here, that kind of thing is determined by your grade average from the 13th year of normal school combined with how you do in a multi-day exam that covers basically everything you learned in the three previous years. Depending on which line of work you want to go into, the NC can be as stringent as "no applications below a B+ average accepted," and even then you're not guaranteed to actually get a spot.

The upside is that college itself has fees only in the range of ~500$ per year, so just about anyone could afford it disregarding living expenses.

Walla
Sep 17, 2017

Your GPA in college does matter for certain programs. At one time I was interested in a nursing degree which at the local college requires an ACT score of 22 and a 3.2 GPA, but yeah my only experience with university life required only an ACT of 24 for entrance and that was Louisiana Tech. I wish I hadn't let my mother talk me into leaving since I was on the Dean's list after the first quarter and was eligible for a private dorm and a good portion of my tuition waived but that's a long story.

As far as how much your GPA matters, I never finished 9th Grade and have a GED.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

Bullshitting is the core of academia, getting a higher degree just means padding everything with a higher degree of a bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Well according to my mother, if I'd gotten straight A's then I wouldn't have shamed the family into moving away (the actual reason for moving was because she spent too much money and filed for bankruptcy), so there's some sense of honor and shame going on like it's some goddamned stereotypical japanese samurai bullshit.

Bullshitting is absolutely a great skill though, it's how I got through what little of university I managed to get through. Some stuff was too out of my league for my brain to comprehend so I could really bullshit around that but at least for stuff that was more about researching and writing opinion pieces or presentations, I could poo poo out 10 pages in an hour and get a passing grade for it which was nice, though I also procrastinated a bunch and it was that deadline rush of only having a day or an hour before the assignment needed to be turned in that would really get me into the groove of dumping out a passable paper.