Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I feel like I'm bad at video games but I got stuck early on in Cyber Shadow where there's junk cubes falling down in two columns and you have to jump from column to column as they fall but instead I jump in exactly the way that the cubes fall on my head and I die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't think I could ever play Persona 5 again. by the time I finished, I was utterly exhausted with it and I didn't think it made good on the potential of like any of its story beats or character beats. very disappointing for me

I think a lot of people around here felt that way but for some reason when I finished the game back in 2017, I still wanted more. I don't know why I had such a different reaction to it but I really loved it. The pacing took a cliff dive around the big villain reveal but I thought it recovered by the end and had a pretty great finish.

I was really skeptical of Royal because its additional content happens after the final boss of vanilla P5 (as opposed to P4G, where the additional content happens in the gap of time between Christmas and the true final boss in P4, leaving the original final boss and ending the same) and I really didn't want them to change the ending. I'm ultimately glad they did, though, because I think what they did was ultimately a more interesting and thematic conflict to end the game on than what the original had.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I feel like I'm bad at video games but I got stuck early on in Cyber Shadow where there's junk cubes falling down in two columns and you have to jump from column to column as they fall but instead I jump in exactly the way that the cubes fall on my head and I die

Ive died like 700 times so far but im stubborn as heck

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

still need to finish Royal, I put it down to play other stuff after Futaba joined

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Weedle posted:

xposting from the retro console thread because this thing whips rear end

Serious question, is there a reason to get this if you've already hacked your other handhelds? Is there something this can do that a Wii U, PSP or 3DS can't?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

I think a lot of people around here felt that way but for some reason when I finished the game back in 2017, I still wanted more. I don't know why I had such a different reaction to it but I really loved it. The pacing took a cliff dive around the big villain reveal but I thought it recovered by the end and had a pretty great finish.

I was really skeptical of Royal because its additional content happens after the final boss of vanilla P5 (as opposed to P4G, where the additional content happens in the gap of time between Christmas and the true final boss in P4, leaving the original final boss and ending the same) and I really didn't want them to change the ending. I'm ultimately glad they did, though, because I think what they did was ultimately a more interesting and thematic conflict to end the game on than what the original had.

I could have been convinced to pick up P5R on the cheap if I could run through it on NG+ with my previous save to get to the new stuff but why on Earth would Atlus let you do that? so maybe one day I'll watch a LP or something

Real hurthling! posted:

Ive died like 700 times so far but im stubborn as heck

I've been giving it a few tries every day before settling into Outer Wilds (I am determined to figure out this game's secrets) so maybe one day I'll stop getting crushed by trash

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 5 has me sort of spoiled when it comes to how smooth and snappy the combat feels, and I'm wondering what other JRPGs I might have missed that manage to pull that off. Anyone have any recommendations?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I could have been convinced to pick up P5R on the cheap if I could run through it on NG+ with my previous save to get to the new stuff but why on Earth would Atlus let you do that? so maybe one day I'll watch a LP or something

Yeah I'm really conflicted on the "should Royal have allowed NG+ from vanilla" thing. On the one hand, P3 FES did, but P3 FES didn't add nearly as much content to the base game as Royal does to P5--most of FES's actual new content is a separate mode. I can understand Atlus wanting Royal to be treated as a separate new game. At the same time, they also made it easier to level up confidants (every meeting now has a phone call afterwards where you can get additional points) and max out social stats (Morgana doesn't make you go to sleep anymore so you can read/study/etc. a lot more often) to the point that it's way easier to max everything than vanilla P5. So they might as well have at least let you carry over your social stats. So I dunno. I guess you'd end up with nothing to do for a ton of evenings then?

At least with P4G it's easy to understand why you can't carry over a save--it never came out on the PS2 to begin with.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

Persona 5 makes a few small changes to Persona combat (and one big one) and they add up to make it an absolute joy to play.

Small changes include:
  • The action menu on a character's turn maps each option to a face button instead of having you scroll through a menu. That is, you hit Triangle to open the skills menu instead of scrolling to Skills and hitting X. This is something Yakuza: Like a Dragon does as well and I love it. (And Super Mario RPG way back on the SNES, for that matter. It was brilliant then and it's brilliant now.)
  • Characters summon their personas right when you open the skill menu, not as part of the "use skill" animation. It's a tiny time save per action but it really adds up.
  • The protagonist can switch personas from within the skill menu instead of making "switch persona" a separate menu.
And then the big one is Baton Pass. I played some Persona 4 yesterday and it felt so restrictive without the ability to pass my 1 More to someone else. Baton Pass feels so good to use.

the one thing i kind of miss is the card stuff lol i like they added negotiations from the mainline but also... i like the card minigame...

Real hurthling! posted:

i hope smt5 comes out and changes things up. i feel like the press turn system just makes me build all my demons into rainbows of every element type so that i can just press turn over and over no matter what pops up and thats kinda boring idk.

they should keep press turn which owns and concentrate on making something thats more interesting than 4.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah I'm really conflicted on the "should Royal have allowed NG+ from vanilla" thing. On the one hand, P3 FES did, but P3 FES didn't add nearly as much content to the base game as Royal does to P5--most of FES's actual new content is a separate mode. I can understand Atlus wanting Royal to be treated as a separate new game. At the same time, they also made it easier to level up confidants (every meeting now has a phone call afterwards where you can get additional points) and max out social stats (Morgana doesn't make you go to sleep anymore so you can read/study/etc. a lot more often) to the point that it's way easier to max everything than vanilla P5. So they might as well have at least let you carry over your social stats. So I dunno. I guess you'd end up with nothing to do for a ton of evenings then?

At least with P4G it's easy to understand why you can't carry over a save--it never came out on the PS2 to begin with.

I get it from their standpoint of wanting it to seem the most like something that's worthy of another $60 if you owned the first release but it's pretty ridiculous (because it's not)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Stux posted:

they should keep press turn which owns and concentrate on making something thats more interesting than 4.

SMT4 rocks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

smt4 overplayed its hand with the tech stuff being foreshadowed extremely early, but that was also the only thing that got me to keep playing it, the promise of escaping fantasy/medieval land, and then it was tokyo but not as cool as nocturne and also the game has taken a generational leap back for the 3ds and half the sprites are drawn by a fifth grader for some reason and i stopped playing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I will need to look for it again but there was an interesting video on game battle themes that talked about how the smt iv osts basically go from 0-100 to help encourage the aggressive style of play they are based on.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the minotaur design was cool though

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Walla posted:

Serious question, is there a reason to get this if you've already hacked your other handhelds? Is there something this can do that a Wii U, PSP or 3DS can't?

imo, if you already have a few hacked handhelds, then you probably wouldn't gain much out of getting another. I have a few of the Linux based ones and they are kind of a pain to keep updated because a lot of the community and devs, again imo, fracture for the next one to come along. Different devices have been releasing rapid fire over the last year or so and while exciting, there's always a new one around the corner.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Stux posted:

smt4 overplayed its hand with the tech stuff being foreshadowed extremely early, but that was also the only thing that got me to keep playing it, the promise of escaping fantasy/medieval land, and then it was tokyo but not as cool as nocturne and also the game has taken a generational leap back for the 3ds and half the sprites are drawn by a fifth grader for some reason and i stopped playing.

yeah i'm torn between whether the feudal fantasy land stuff was played too long or exactly long enough, but the reveal as they make it far enough to find guns and then finally appearing in Tokyo is 100% my poo poo and a good spin on SMT introductions

the new sprites were bad though

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I only have a PS3, is Persona 5 pleb edition still worth playing?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Convex posted:

I only have a PS3, is Persona 5 pleb edition still worth playing?

It should still be a fun a game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah exactly, it was exactly long enough for me to not drop off bcos i dont like those kind of settings when genuine, but i also feel like keeping it really close to the chest and doing a big reveal wouldve been really good. def give it props for it tho, really good intro bait and switch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My favorite part of SMT4's intro is the part where manga starts invading the world

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Walla posted:

i dunno. i guess it depends on what you're looking for specifically. this guy, russ crandall from retro game corps, has what appear to be some pretty comprehensive directories of emulators and open-source software available for the 350 series

console/handheld
arcade
pc
native source ports, etc.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

It should still be a fun a game.

Cool! I was holding out for a Steam release of 5R but seems like that's not coming any time soon

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you wait long enough, it still might get ported eventually. No one expected P4G to ever come to PC either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are supposedly going to be some big Persona announcements this year for the series's 25th anniversary. It's possible that will include PC ports for like P5R or maybe even Persona 3 or things like that. But it's hard to say right now.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would like Persona 5 Arena please

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

VideoGames posted:

If somehow wins this months poll I will make it my avatar.

Brazen electoral fraud and bribery on display here by the highest power in the land. This is how democracy dies to the sound of people voting 5.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

although persona 5 pc would be cool i think i would prefer either or both of persona 3 for pc that is both fes and portable but fixes portables issues and smt 5 pc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My single biggest wishlist item for the Persona 25th anniversary thing is to somehow get an English release for Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP, maybe in the form of a PC/modern console port of the Persona 2 duology. I know I can play it in English with the PS1 version but I dunno, I want to be able to play through both halves with the PSP version's updates/updated translation :v:

This will not happen but I wish it would

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Persona 2 remake with an updated combat system

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nate RFB posted:

I personally have always been more positive on Default's story more than most people I feel; yeah there are some genuine criticisms it deserves for both the second half structure and ending, but there was an emotional core to the cast (especially the Asterisks) that I felt was pretty much completely lost in Second. It felt like a genuine attempt to make a SNES era FF plot and flesh it out with some modern writing touches so it felt very comfortable.

The other problem with Second which no one even its most ardent defenders can deny is the music, and to me I way more upset at the downgrade in the music than I will ever be with Default's ending/second half.

I think the thing I hated most about Second was how awkwardly they shoehorned in the ending stinger of Default.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Eating leftovers for lunch and would like to again emphasize that bucatini is the best long pasta.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Eating leftovers for lunch and would like to again emphasize that bucatini is the best long pasta.

Tubes good

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What I'd like to see repeated in an SMT game would be Digital Devil Saga 2's "joint attack" system, or whatever they called it. Basically, if you had certain abilities on all your characters, you could use all their turns at the same time to apply a combined effect of a higher tier. Get enough debuffs on each character and you can group-cast Debilitate, for example. Since the game used press-turn and you couldn't go into the negatives, this was a really useful way to get the most out of a leftover turn and do some real damage. It also gave some tactical complexity to your loadout because it didn't just matter how good each ability was on its own, but also what it could give you when combined with others.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

:hai:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Reading about the Great Bucatini Shortage of 2020 and howling at the article:

https://www.grubstreet.com/2020/12/2020-bucatini-shortage-investigation.html posted:

As I waited impatiently for the FDA’s FOIA reply, I got another call from Carl from the NPA, who blew my mind with a tale that sounded so Coen brothers–y I could not believe it. The reason behind De Cecco’s fall from FDA grace, he said, could potentially be traced all the way back to the early 1900s and the beginning of what was once called the “National Association of Macaroni and Noodle Manufacturers of America.”

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
https://twitter.com/blaseball/status/1356290353360371712?s=19

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Did they just give the likelihood of their game being released in any given month in the form of a Gaussian distribution? That's novel.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

What I'd like to see repeated in an SMT game would be Digital Devil Saga 2's "joint attack" system, or whatever they called it. Basically, if you had certain abilities on all your characters, you could use all their turns at the same time to apply a combined effect of a higher tier. Get enough debuffs on each character and you can group-cast Debilitate, for example. Since the game used press-turn and you couldn't go into the negatives, this was a really useful way to get the most out of a leftover turn and do some real damage. It also gave some tactical complexity to your loadout because it didn't just matter how good each ability was on its own, but also what it could give you when combined with others.

this

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Did they just give the likelihood of their game being released in any given month in the form of a Gaussian distribution? That's novel.
when your game is distributed in the form of an xls spreadsheet it goes with the territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that joint attack system sounds really cool. I should play the Digital Devil Saga games sometime.