Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rinkles posted:

i'm happy for you

thanks!!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah wow you could have gotten straight A's in high school, which in terms of your life as a whole would improve things because ?????????????

High school is a loving joke and parents are insane for insisting that it's super important, and this is coming from a high school teacher

I remember one time in high school my teachers got mad at me for bullshitting an essay, where the prompt was "my favorite congressman" because they were going to submit it to some contest. Like yeah, I don't have a favorite congressman, you got me, I had to pull something out of my rear end and did a poorly-researched paper because we had three days in-class to both research and write it.

for me it's extra funny because, while it never faded, the time my parents were most tyrannical about grades was middle school. of the 3 years of middle school i probably spent 1.5-2 of them grounded due to not caring about my grades in the puberty holding pen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i liked studying a lot when i was in college. probably couldn't do it now though. brain fried by too much internet

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah wow you could have gotten straight A's in high school, which in terms of your life as a whole would improve things because ?????????????

High school is a loving joke and parents are insane for insisting that it's super important, and this is coming from a high school teacher

I remember one time in high school my teachers got mad at me for bullshitting an essay, where the prompt was "my favorite congressman" because they were going to submit it to some contest. Like yeah, I don't have a favorite congressman, you got me, I had to pull something out of my rear end and did a poorly-researched paper because we had three days in-class to both research and write it.

Lol if anything, bullshitters are absolutely rewarded right now. Fake it till you make it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

Do US universities have a numerus clausus, that is to say, a minimum average grade you need to have to even be allowed to apply for certain types of college degrees? There's a bit of a practical benefit to having good grades where I live: it actually does give you more options, in a very tangible sense.

This is theoretically what the ACT/SAT scores are for, which are kind of like Japanese entrance exams. It's not rigid, but basically the higher your score the more likely you are to be accepted and the more financial aid you'll qualify for. The thing about them though is they are completely separate from grades, so you could do what I did where I hated school and did very poorly but then got really high SAT/ACT scores and got accepted into every school I applied to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cardiovorax posted:

Do US universities have a numerus clausus, that is to say, a minimum average grade you need to have to even be allowed to apply for certain types of college degrees? There's a bit of a practical benefit to having good grades where I live: it actually does give you more options, in a very tangible sense.

i had to, yeah.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

grades (even at university) mean jackshit beyond your first job
young people would be better served being told that a college education is meant to signal you can hold a white collar job and not an abstract exercise in learning

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A story I love is that I was sitting in on a call with a college admission counselor from a very high-profile art school and we were trying to get advice on developing a portfolio. The guy didn't even stop just short of, and explicitly said that they didn't care about grades at all and if the student work was good enough, that would prove they were committed enough to the process to be able to make it. So when another teacher asked us if we could talk to a student about not drawing in class, we were both like listen unless they're outright failing, this is objectively a better use of their time in terms of accomplishing what they want to do in life

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is theoretically what the ACT/SAT scores are for, which are kind of like Japanese entrance exams. It's not rigid, but basically the higher your score the more likely you are to be accepted and the more financial aid you'll qualify for. The thing about them though is they are completely separate from grades, so you could do what I did where I hated school and did very poorly but then got really high SAT/ACT scores and got accepted into every school I applied to.
Convenient. Over here, that kind of thing is determined by your grade average from the 13th year of normal school combined with how you do in a multi-day exam that covers basically everything you learned in the three previous years. Depending on which line of work you want to go into, the NC can be as stringent as "no applications below a B+ average accepted," and even then you're not guaranteed to actually get a spot.

The upside is that college itself has fees only in the range of ~500$ per year, so just about anyone could afford it disregarding living expenses.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Your GPA in college does matter for certain programs. At one time I was interested in a nursing degree which at the local college requires an ACT score of 22 and a 3.2 GPA, but yeah my only experience with university life required only an ACT of 24 for entrance and that was Louisiana Tech. I wish I hadn't let my mother talk me into leaving since I was on the Dean's list after the first quarter and was eligible for a private dorm and a good portion of my tuition waived but that's a long story.

As far as how much your GPA matters, I never finished 9th Grade and have a GED.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Bullshitting is the core of academia, getting a higher degree just means padding everything with a higher degree of a bullshit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Well according to my mother, if I'd gotten straight A's then I wouldn't have shamed the family into moving away (the actual reason for moving was because she spent too much money and filed for bankruptcy), so there's some sense of honor and shame going on like it's some goddamned stereotypical japanese samurai bullshit.

Bullshitting is absolutely a great skill though, it's how I got through what little of university I managed to get through. Some stuff was too out of my league for my brain to comprehend so I could really bullshit around that but at least for stuff that was more about researching and writing opinion pieces or presentations, I could poo poo out 10 pages in an hour and get a passing grade for it which was nice, though I also procrastinated a bunch and it was that deadline rush of only having a day or an hour before the assignment needed to be turned in that would really get me into the groove of dumping out a passable paper.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You should pretty much have a way to do that right now, I've never paid attention to any of the base stuff. Make one of each mutualization center, any food farms/goat milk, medecine farms, and then any of the rainwater collectors.

Ah, I had forgotten about all that, especially after a boss attacked my base and smashed everything. I had also never figured out how to capture animals to fill the goat cages (and there doesn't seem to be a tutorial about this). Now I'm down to about -300 food per cycle (from -900 when I complained) and if I can find some potatoes it should be positive.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just knock them out with a punch instead of shooting or stabbing them. You can then fulton them as per MGS5.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

haveblue posted:

Ah, I had forgotten about all that, especially after a boss attacked my base and smashed everything. I had also never figured out how to capture animals to fill the goat cages (and there doesn't seem to be a tutorial about this). Now I'm down to about -300 food per cycle (from -900 when I complained) and if I can find some potatoes it should be positive.

Yeah the purpose of the base isn't really supposed to be like, an actual survival thing, it's mostly to be free resources to fund your exploration. Like, right now I have a bunch of farm recipes I could be using (bear cages, horse cages, wolf cages, goar/horse farms which are different from cages) that I don't have filled because I have more food than I can even use. The only exception is that I use roasted potatoes/onions/corn to feed my exploration team while I eat meats and soups, so I have to fill them up for a full trip and then wait a little while until I have enough to send them out again.

Also I cannot stress how many resources you get from a coop mission. The only material cost I use up is grenades and weapon repairs and look at all the poo poo you get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi0aA2wdTa0&t=1203s

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I had a Western Classics class in college where the second half of the semester was focused almost entirely around Pride and Prejudice and I didn't read it because it's boring, but I was able to absorb enough from the classes and Cliffsnotes and bullshit my way into an A for the class.

Being able to sound like you know what you're talking about is absolutely an essential skill to develop for academia.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I finished Yakuza Kiwami 2 and the Majima Saga! Good stuff, Haruka’s gonna need a lot of therapy for the Helicopter scene.

Majima’s scene with Makoto was good but I found the side story kind of forgettable otherwise. I don’t know if the timeline or actual tech of the 3/4/5 remakes supports this, but I kind of suspect the Majima Saga was an exercise in recreating 3/4/5 style gameplay in the new graphical engine. (I do not know how to make video games and have yet to get back to those remakes, so could be very wrong.)

I’ll probably take a break and play some bowser’s fury or something before my next Yakuza game, then hit up either 3 or 7:LAD.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I sorta fell off LAD, the battles felt like they were just too long

I love Ichiban though

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’ve bounced off every non-Pokémon JRPG I’ve played since Golden Sun, so a little worried I’ll bounce off LAD, but I’m hoping the intrinsic Yakuza-ness will carry me through.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

haveblue posted:

Spoiler for potatoes they are near Teleporter 3

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah the purpose of the base isn't really supposed to be like, an actual survival thing, it's mostly to be free resources to fund your exploration. Like, right now I have a bunch of farm recipes I could be using (bear cages, horse cages, wolf cages, goar/horse farms which are different from cages) that I don't have filled because I have more food than I can even use. The only exception is that I use roasted potatoes/onions/corn to feed my exploration team while I eat meats and soups, so I have to fill them up for a full trip and then wait a little while until I have enough to send them out again.

Also I cannot stress how many resources you get from a coop mission. The only material cost I use up is grenades and weapon repairs and look at all the poo poo you get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi0aA2wdTa0&t=1203s

I tried one of them solo and got to the last wave and died. I was completely deflated especially since it had been a nailbiter all the way up to the end. I haven't finished the story yet because I keep getting distracted by other games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

all the fair weather brawler fans that said yazkuza combat sucked for years, but now want it back because rpg combat was even worse, deserve what they get

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

all the fair weather brawler fans that said yazkuza combat sucked for years, but now want it back because rpg combat was even worse, deserve what they get

Turns out Yakuza just sucks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

More to add to the Gamefood list

"it's showtime"

Based on the recipe card here, freestyled a bit: https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/02/19/making-leblanc-curry-from-persona-5

I did it all in one pot to save on cleanup and concentrate flavors, I didn't have apple so instead kept the carrot in chunks (it was plenty sweet without it, in a good way), swapped some of the spices. I had to the keep the "LeBlanc" theming so there was a splash of coffee in the final reduction.

This was drat good, the balance was between sweet and spicy-salty, which worked really well. I am looking forward to the other half tomorrow since curry develops additional traits when refrigerated.

...is that why it is a Persona food...?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tried out crashlands and don't starve, and ultimately neither excited me that much and i think i'm going to go back to smoke & sacrifice instead. although crashlands is ~ok~, it's just very obvious it was designed for mobile first in terms of its UI and overall feel

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"it's showtime"

Based on the recipe card here, freestyled a bit: https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/02/19/making-leblanc-curry-from-persona-5

I did it all in one pot to save on cleanup and concentrate flavors, I didn't have apple so instead kept the carrot in chunks (it was plenty sweet without it, in a good way), swapped some of the spices. I had to the keep the "LeBlanc" theming so there was a splash of coffee in the final reduction.

This was drat good, the balance was between sweet and spicy-salty, which worked really well. I am looking forward to the other half tomorrow since curry develops additional traits when refrigerated.

I've been meaning to make this myself! It sounds really delicious.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wamdoodle posted:

Spoiler for potatoes they are near Teleporter 3

I tried one of them solo and got to the last wave and died. I was completely deflated especially since it had been a nailbiter all the way up to the end. I haven't finished the story yet because I keep getting distracted by other games.

Yeah if it starts to get REALLY close in terms of health you can just request an evac from the drill, the game will just drop you what rewards you would have gotten if you'd won at your current score, I've done that a few times. For me the hardest round is 2 - just before the third wave, you should get a mission for gatling turrets, and those are usually enough to hold off the enemies until you hit S-rank. Wave 3 I don't even really fight any of the enemies myself, I just run around and grab the IR missions. Though, while I used to do waves of fences and gradually fall back as they break through my lines, I'm getting strong enough to where I can be proactive and sprint up to the spawns and take out waves of enemies with sprint attacks. Airport is somewhat difficult because of the mortar enemies which will hit the drill and cause it to lose the boost, the village map has none of them and just armored enemies which are much easier to kill since you can just knock them down with backstab and then two-shot them in the head.

Also I didn't try the coop missions until I'd beaten the full story, and even then it took me quite a few runs to get a consistent route where I can get an S-rank on Normal mode every time. Still haven't finished a Hard run but tomorrow I unlock a bunch of new traps

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"it's showtime"

I am, as ever, in awe of your posts

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

How much of Survive is V style free-roaming and gathering, and how much is tower defense? ‘Cause I love the former but am not particularly interested in the latter.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Roach Warehouse posted:

How much of Survive is V style free-roaming and gathering, and how much is tower defense? ‘Cause I love the former but am not particularly interested in the latter.

Basically the entire story is the former, and online missions are the latter. There's small exceptions where to unlock new fast-travel points you do a tower defense that lasts like 1.5-2 mins

Once you get into online coop its a mix between the two because on one hard, it is fundamentally a tower defense, but the map is full of resources and missions that give you a higher score and specialized materials that you have to run and go get, so it's almost like a speedrun route I've developed where, okay, once the round starts I have just enough time to run over here and grab the parts I need to assemble an auto-turret, and then I can teleport back and they'll just be arriving at my walls and I can kill them here, then once I get another break I head to the shed, loot it, and then the round will end once Im there and another quest will spawn nearby which I can hit for the materials to replace all my walls

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 1, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Roach Warehouse posted:

About 95/5, I would say. There are only a handful of "real" multi-wave tower defense missions with actual routes the enemies take and such. Mostly they're these 2-minute sections in which you have to hold off a horde of zombies while your new fast travel point charges up. Those are fairly common, but also so short and easy it barely registers - and if you kill all the zombies in the general vicinity first, you don't even have to do any actual defending.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

do they they do anything fun with the mgs lore?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wuggles posted:

I am, as ever, in awe of your posts

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rinkles posted:

It's actually a direct sequel to Ground Zeroes and starts during the XOF attack on Mother Base where the main character shoots a soldier that is about to kill Big Boss and Kaz, saving them but then dies as they fall into the ocean. It tries to tie up some stuff about 5, like you find the destroyed remains of Sahelanthropus and the story involves nanomachines, but the game also ties directly into MGS5 in a really funny way.

The bad ending is that you get in a portal back to the real world during the final boss fight, leaving your team alone to be killed. But, your character was infected with the zombie sickness, so by leaving you can no longer be cured, and the main character is the wandering soldier who has gone crazy in that one MGS5 side-mission

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

Its set in a weird parallel universe that a bunch of MSF members get shunted into from the Ground Zeroes incident. They manage since communication with the primary world but it's otherwise unrelated.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Let's just say that nanomachines play a pretty important role.

But mostly not really. The story is fairly self-contained and while it's every bit as insane as any Metal Gear Solid game, it's not really big on references or connecting events to previous games in the series, except for the setup.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i wish you could go to school for its own sake without accruing impossible debt because i like reading and writing and analysis, and can feel myself getting dumber because i don't have to use my brain for work ever

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
oh well, back to catching pokemon

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I said my journal was a tool of justice. Not used in anger. Not used for vengeance. But now... Now I'm not so sure. And besides, this isn't my journal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

what is it with having the most verve when you're supposed to be asleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sounds like you're a cat.