Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wamdoodle posted:

imo, if you already have a few hacked handhelds, then you probably wouldn't gain much out of getting another. I have a few of the Linux based ones and they are kind of a pain to keep updated because a lot of the community and devs, again imo, fracture for the next one to come along. Different devices have been releasing rapid fire over the last year or so and while exciting, there's always a new one around the corner.

That's kind of what I figured, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Harrow posted:

Yeah that joint attack system sounds really cool. I should play the Digital Devil Saga games sometime.
The DDS duology had some really neat ideas, but you might still not enjoy them as games, to be honest. As SMT games, they're weird because they follow a more standard JRPG structure of giving you a party of characters to who you can assign abilities at will, no demon negotiation or contracting. As JRPGs, they're real throwbacks and deep into the hardcore end of the pool because they're basically just one long-rear end (and very difficult) dungeon crawl after another, stitched together by non-interactive cutscenes. No matter from which end of the spectrum you approached them, they were a bit... contentious.

I think they're basically the high point and the most refined expression of the Press Turn system in the entire series, though.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 1, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Reading about the Great Bucatini Shortage of 2020 and howling at the article:

They should shop where i shop cause we got a lot.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I want persona 3 and 4 on switch pls

Cardiovorax posted:

Did they just give the likelihood of their game being released in any given month in the form of a Gaussian distribution? That's novel.

It’s not a Gaussian distribution because it’s discrete
:goonsay:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

wuggles posted:

:eng101:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

wuggles posted:

Dammit. Why do I keep getting that wrong? Thanks for the correction.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I watched the Persona movie last week, it was a very strange departure from the games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Persona 6: Japanese exchange student lands in a Swedish high school

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
They should make one where the protagonists are a bunch of elderly from a nursing home. Would be way more interesting than yet more high school students.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Baller Time posted:

They should make one where the protagonists are a bunch of elderly from a nursing home. Would be way more interesting than yet more high school students.

That's basically Like a Dragon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Like A Dragon has the (on average) oldest cast that I think I've ever seen in a JRPG.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I kind of assume they will put out P4G on everything after the Steam release made lots of money.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All it takes is one “technically 1000” little girl party member to throw off the average

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Cardiovorax posted:

Like A Dragon has the (on average) oldest cast that I think I've ever seen in a JRPG.

Unless one of the cast members is secretly a 1000 year old demon I doubt it very much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wasn't counting those for the purposes of that, because they're just an excuse to have a scantily dressed preteen and pretend it isn't creepy anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

All it takes is one “technically 1000” little girl party member to throw off the average

Take the median age then

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hello friend

i have been playing slay the spire and after an initial good time of Winning i am now only Losing which feels bad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
White Wolf/Onyx Path Publishing has a kickstarter out for an expansion to their Scion tabletop rpg and the expansion is basically about doing this

But with dragons actually being this semi-secret society separate from pantheons and gods and titans and having existed before those were even things but have now either had to adapt to become part of them for their own survival or otherwise go into hiding and name human heirs to run their errands.

Anyway, I wanted to bring it up because in one of their prerelease manuscripts they talk about the different groupings of dragons and that the lindwurm group is made up of dragons who are extremely focused on gathering information and learning as much as they can and uploading it into the dragon memory cloud all dragons can pull from while also trying to piece together which pieces of the memories belong to them in particular. The list of notable lindwurms that you can become heir to are:

Vishap of Armenian mythology
Jormungandr, Nidhoggr, and Jormungandr of Norse mythology
and the Loch Ness monster

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
there used to be this man on the radio all the time who claimed that all he did was win, and that he always wins, no matter what. He spoke with the brash confidence that only those who have never played Spelunky 2 can have.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Imagine being a radical dragonman and then nearly bending your neck in half just to rest your chin on your own tiddies and pretend like you're just a dragonman without the majestic long dragonneck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I miss Breath of Fire :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harrow posted:

I miss Breath of Fire :negative:

I probably wouldn't want to play it anymore nowadays but Dragon Quarter holds a special place in my heart

Arguably worst-looking dragon form in the series but mechanically I had so much fun with it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For some reason I will never, ever get the faeries singing the War Shout song from BoF4 out of my head and y'know, I'm fine with that. Just listen to them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1foATzh-E8s&t=28s

Ciaphas posted:

I probably wouldn't want to play it anymore nowadays but Dragon Quarter holds a special place in my heart

Arguably worst-looking dragon form in the series but mechanically I had so much fun with it

:same: I absolutely loved that game even if I don't think I'll ever play it again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I know this is a hot take but I liked it because of the D-Counter, rather than in spite of it

For those who don't know, the basic idea is that Ryu's dragon form in that game stupidly, completely, and in all ways breaks combat utterly in two - BUT. Using dragon-stuff increases a % called the D-Counter which can never be reduced, and if it hits 100% Ryu dies (quite horribly, IIRC) and the game ends

People hated that - why the gently caress would you put a limiter on the game series' showpiece, right? - but thinking back it made for more interesting combat and decision making in the long run. To me at least, in other BoF games base-Ryu may as well have not existed once he can do the Trogdor thing. (There's also the ways the ironically-named SOL system could exploit it for fun & profit)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 1, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The D-Counter was honestly a perfectly decent idea that would have worked great as a depletable strategic resource in any other game. It just didn't work very well in a series for which "you can turn into a dragon to stomp things" is one of its core features and biggest attraction.

I always thought that a lot of the reason why Dragon Quarter did so badly was not because any of its experimental ideas were in and of themselves bad, but rather because they were highly experimental at all in an established series where the player base just didn't want that kind of massive deviations from the existing formula. If you treat it as a standalone title rather than as the fifth entry in a long-running IP, it works much better.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ouya lasted longer

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1356324976442417152?s=21

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Google cemetery prediction looking wildly optimistic now

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Another in the Google Graveyard.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

This quote both makes all the sense and yet no sense at all.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1356325479909896193

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This quote both makes all the sense and yet no sense at all.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1356325479909896193

The words "google" and "underfunded" just don't gel in my head

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

The D-Counter was honestly a perfectly decent idea that would have worked great as a depletable strategic resource in any other game. It just didn't work very well in a series for which "you can turn into a dragon to stomp things" is one of its core features and biggest attraction.

I always thought that a lot of the reason why Dragon Quarter did so badly was not because any of its experimental ideas were in and of themselves bad, but rather because they were highly experimental at all in an established series where the player base just didn't want that kind of massive deviations from the existing formula. If you treat it as a standalone title rather than as the fifth entry in a long-running IP, it works much better.

I think the reason I liked it was because it really sold the power of dragons. Using your D-Form in Dragon Quarter is an "I win" button right up to the very end, but it's a very limited resource. While it does remove the power fantasy of "your guy is a dragon and becoming a dragon is his main power," it replaces it with something that I think does a great job of showing why dragons are such a big deal in Dragon Quarter.

It's definitely a huge departure from the rest of the series and that likely accounts for at least some of its commercial failure, but man I still loved it.

I also played through without ever using the dragon transformation until like the final dungeon, which made some of the boss fights real nailbiters. And then in the final dungeon I pretty much deleted every boss with dragon moves because I had tons of D-Counter left and it felt awesome.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Ciaphas posted:

Why fund things when you can fund profits instead?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh yeah lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i stan stadia

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

y'all i think... i think capitalism might have some flaws

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Google playing nine-dimensional chess in trying to prevent game industry from unionizing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

drat it goes up to 9 dimensions? I only know how to play 5d chess with multiverse time travel...

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

oh no, who could have seen the stadia dying how unexpected

rip in piss, stadia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

you better believe it lol. I can't speak too much about it and I'm not on that team, but thats just how poo poo is in this company. The faithful are still holding on though. Kinda depressing to watch