Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I would really enjoy if future Persona titles (if they keep the current battle system) lock your party composition more during specific stretches. I get that goes against the appeal of choosing which party members to grow closer to and roll with, but I think it would make a lot of battles far more memorable than they have been. Like the only early game battles and mini bosses I remember from the modern titles are from Persona 3's early game, where having Yukari and Junpei's elemental weaknesses forced on you made their presence in your party actively detrimental. While that was a little frustrating, I enjoy the little meta-narrative and tactical variance that added to those encounters.

I dislike how risk averse and thoughtless One More is too, but aesthetically I thought Persona 5 had it fit the whole phantom thief shtick pretty well. Ideally, you're ambushing enemies, and running train ASAP is exactly what you'd want to be doing if you're sneaking around not wanting to rouse attention.

On another note, I really enjoyed the Hex system in Wild Arms 5. Debuffing or affecting portions of the battlefield instead of specific entities was novel, and made me think more not biting myself in the rear end, which I appreciated. I also enjoyed having to aim and space the party's skills around every encounter's predetermined grid layout. I think that's a really good step towards giving specific battles their own identity, and I would love to see a more evolved version of that system (with maybe some more radical grid layouts) in a future RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

This kind of thing ruins games for me and I can't imagine a game that I think would be improved by it. "Nuh-uh, you need to suck for this stretch because we say so" just is not good game design.

Yeah, that kind of design would absolutely be a little antagonistic, so I understand why people aren't looking for that and why Atlus wouldn't implement that into their blockbuster franchise, but I wouldn't call it bad. I think those kinds of circumstances can help sell an atmosphere or narrative without necessitating cutscenes or dialogue, and I think that's cool.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

My friend and I just got done with playing a session of a jrpg maker game called Omori and even though we're apparently still in the prologue, it's been really charming so far. The art style is good, and is surprisingly high quality at places, and the main party won over my affection early on. It's more lighthearted and silly than I expected from what was on the Steam Store page, but I'm excited to keep playing it.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Rainbow Six Siege continues to be the only shooter I enjoy playing. It's the only cooperative game I've played so far that encourages the refinement of communicating very specific information to teammates, and I greatly enjoy that.

Plus it lets you serve a vital function for your team as an intel disperser after you die, and way more games should try to follow suit.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Apex has the right level for me where I can clearly communicate things with the ping system without ever having to speak to another human being

I totally understand where you're coming with that, but I think we may just be wired differently. I've struggled with anxiety for most of my life, so I love a game that incentivizes me to actively communicate with others on an explicitly normal and human level. Like yeah, I've had to learn how to deal with random teenagers trying to hurt my feelings with vapid sarcasm, but the moments where I bond with a random east coaster or Euro over a common goal have been priceless to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Witches. They're on more 70s metal album covers and they are associated with temptation and random nocturnal critters, which is dope.

EDIT: Also Macbeth is one of Shakespeare's best plays and witches are prominent there.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 4, 2021