Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

• Persona 5 Strikers, I don't understand what this is

it's a kickass soundtrack that comes with an included a Persona 5 spin-off action-RPG OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ahXxvJ17k8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really liked the original Bravely Default all the way through, even the second half that it seems like everyone else dislikes :v: Though I imagine the original Japanese release, which didn't have the ability to adjust the random encounter rate, was probably pretty terrible at that point.

I never finished Bravely Second for some reason. It just didn't click with me like Default did, and I didn't really like the difficulty balance, either. In Bravely Default, I set the difficulty to Hard and left it there and had a great time all the way through. In Second, though, random battles were an absolute slog on Hard but bosses were effortless on Normal, so I felt like I had to keep riding the difficulty slider and while I appreciated the ability to do that, it still sorta took me out of the experience.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

persona 5, is good. a universal truth.

:hmmyes:

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm a bit of an outlier in that I actually enjoyed getting to kick everyone's asses again with all my new abilities and classes.

I also really loved the remixed asterisk fights. Those alone made that part of the game completely worth it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 5 makes a few small changes to Persona combat (and one big one) and they add up to make it an absolute joy to play.

Small changes include:
  • The action menu on a character's turn maps each option to a face button instead of having you scroll through a menu. That is, you hit Triangle to open the skills menu instead of scrolling to Skills and hitting X. This is something Yakuza: Like a Dragon does as well and I love it. (And Super Mario RPG way back on the SNES, for that matter. It was brilliant then and it's brilliant now.)
  • Characters summon their personas right when you open the skill menu, not as part of the "use skill" animation. It's a tiny time save per action but it really adds up.
  • The protagonist can switch personas from within the skill menu instead of making "switch persona" a separate menu.
And then the big one is Baton Pass. I played some Persona 4 yesterday and it felt so restrictive without the ability to pass my 1 More to someone else. Baton Pass feels so good to use.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wuggles posted:

bless Royal for giving baton pass ASAP.

Yeah that was a huge improvement. That and having guns refill their ammo every encounter. It does so much to make the combat fun and fluid right from the start. I also appreciate that it makes it a lot easier to use a new party member in the dungeon where they first join, since you no longer have the "you can't baton pass to this one person in your party" problem.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't think I could ever play Persona 5 again. by the time I finished, I was utterly exhausted with it and I didn't think it made good on the potential of like any of its story beats or character beats. very disappointing for me

I think a lot of people around here felt that way but for some reason when I finished the game back in 2017, I still wanted more. I don't know why I had such a different reaction to it but I really loved it. The pacing took a cliff dive around the big villain reveal but I thought it recovered by the end and had a pretty great finish.

I was really skeptical of Royal because its additional content happens after the final boss of vanilla P5 (as opposed to P4G, where the additional content happens in the gap of time between Christmas and the true final boss in P4, leaving the original final boss and ending the same) and I really didn't want them to change the ending. I'm ultimately glad they did, though, because I think what they did was ultimately a more interesting and thematic conflict to end the game on than what the original had.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 5 has me sort of spoiled when it comes to how smooth and snappy the combat feels, and I'm wondering what other JRPGs I might have missed that manage to pull that off. Anyone have any recommendations?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I could have been convinced to pick up P5R on the cheap if I could run through it on NG+ with my previous save to get to the new stuff but why on Earth would Atlus let you do that? so maybe one day I'll watch a LP or something

Yeah I'm really conflicted on the "should Royal have allowed NG+ from vanilla" thing. On the one hand, P3 FES did, but P3 FES didn't add nearly as much content to the base game as Royal does to P5--most of FES's actual new content is a separate mode. I can understand Atlus wanting Royal to be treated as a separate new game. At the same time, they also made it easier to level up confidants (every meeting now has a phone call afterwards where you can get additional points) and max out social stats (Morgana doesn't make you go to sleep anymore so you can read/study/etc. a lot more often) to the point that it's way easier to max everything than vanilla P5. So they might as well have at least let you carry over your social stats. So I dunno. I guess you'd end up with nothing to do for a ton of evenings then?

At least with P4G it's easy to understand why you can't carry over a save--it never came out on the PS2 to begin with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My favorite part of SMT4's intro is the part where manga starts invading the world

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are supposedly going to be some big Persona announcements this year for the series's 25th anniversary. It's possible that will include PC ports for like P5R or maybe even Persona 3 or things like that. But it's hard to say right now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My single biggest wishlist item for the Persona 25th anniversary thing is to somehow get an English release for Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSP, maybe in the form of a PC/modern console port of the Persona 2 duology. I know I can play it in English with the PS1 version but I dunno, I want to be able to play through both halves with the PSP version's updates/updated translation :v:

This will not happen but I wish it would

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Eating leftovers for lunch and would like to again emphasize that bucatini is the best long pasta.

:hai:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that joint attack system sounds really cool. I should play the Digital Devil Saga games sometime.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I miss Breath of Fire :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For some reason I will never, ever get the faeries singing the War Shout song from BoF4 out of my head and y'know, I'm fine with that. Just listen to them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1foATzh-E8s&t=28s

Ciaphas posted:

I probably wouldn't want to play it anymore nowadays but Dragon Quarter holds a special place in my heart

Arguably worst-looking dragon form in the series but mechanically I had so much fun with it

:same: I absolutely loved that game even if I don't think I'll ever play it again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

The D-Counter was honestly a perfectly decent idea that would have worked great as a depletable strategic resource in any other game. It just didn't work very well in a series for which "you can turn into a dragon to stomp things" is one of its core features and biggest attraction.

I always thought that a lot of the reason why Dragon Quarter did so badly was not because any of its experimental ideas were in and of themselves bad, but rather because they were highly experimental at all in an established series where the player base just didn't want that kind of massive deviations from the existing formula. If you treat it as a standalone title rather than as the fifth entry in a long-running IP, it works much better.

I think the reason I liked it was because it really sold the power of dragons. Using your D-Form in Dragon Quarter is an "I win" button right up to the very end, but it's a very limited resource. While it does remove the power fantasy of "your guy is a dragon and becoming a dragon is his main power," it replaces it with something that I think does a great job of showing why dragons are such a big deal in Dragon Quarter.

It's definitely a huge departure from the rest of the series and that likely accounts for at least some of its commercial failure, but man I still loved it.

I also played through without ever using the dragon transformation until like the final dungeon, which made some of the boss fights real nailbiters. And then in the final dungeon I pretty much deleted every boss with dragon moves because I had tons of D-Counter left and it felt awesome.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arzaac posted:

In general I just prefer when there's something to actually differentiate skills. Make it so fire spells hit AoE, ice spells are strong single target, and Lightning spells are random targeting, or something. Give someone abilities that revolve around inflicting statuses and dealing more damage to enemies with statuses. Anything's better than just always having Ann in my party because she's got the Biggest Number.

I generally like that kind of thing, yeah, so I agree that it would be cool if elements had more to differentiate them. (Incidentally, I'm working on designing a Persona tabletop game and that's exactly what I'm doing to differentiate elements since "hunt the weakness" gameplay would suuuuuuuuck in a tabletop RPG.)

Weirdly I think Persona 5's combat is at its best when it's rocket tag--when, almost like in the modern XCOM games, it turns into "destroy the enemies before they get a chance to destroy you." Knocking enemies down and efficiently passing the baton so you can wipe them out before they can do their really dangerous attacks back is when I think it's the most fun. At the same time, though, I also think most of the reason I enjoy Persona 5's combat is that it feels really good, and that's rare for a turn-based RPG. Yeah, the strategy is fairly simplistic, but I also think that its style and, I dunno, "smoothness" isn't just superficial and adds a lot to the experience, if that makes sense.

Looper posted:

persona 4 is the only one i've played and its combat is pretty terrible imo

For the record I am a huge Persona fan and when I recently started replaying Persona 4 Golden I was like "wait was the combat always this clunky and boring" so yeah. It actually made me sad because I want to replay Persona 4 but I really don't remember the combat being that much of a drag. Maybe it'd be better if I wasn't jumping back and forth between P4G and P5R so it's not as direct a comparison.

Persona 5's combat is a gigantic improvement IMO. There are better JRPG combat systems out there but I found Persona 5's really fun to engage with in a way that I can't say for any other Persona game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Generally I think my favorite JRPG combat systems are the ones where action economy is the focus. That'd be either systems where manipulating turn order is a key part of the system (things like Radiant Historia, the Grandia series, and to an extend FFX) or getting extra actions/turns is the focus (Persona, SMT, Bravely). Systems where your goal is to take as many actions as possible before the enemy can take their action are really fun and engaging for me. So even though Persona 5's combat doesn't have, like, deep strategy or anything, the "exploit weaknesses and technicals and passing the baton to get as many turns as possible" system is something I find endlessly entertaining.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

It's because the system that Persona is ostensibly based off of (Shin Megami Tensei) is like that but for Persona specifically they significantly reduced the difficulty, made it flashier/snappier/more superficially stimulating, and just all around made it much more marketable even as the meat on the bone became completely lost from the battle system. As Persona has gotten more popular and SMT less so the praise that made the latter popular has persisted while the elements that actually made it so have faded from the entries that are actually selling and getting the most current buzz.

Is SMT really that much deeper? I mean the Press Turn ones, specifically. Ultimately they still boil down to buff/debuff, then hit weaknesses/get criticals to get more press turns. The biggest difference is the shared nature of turns (all allies go, then all enemies, while Persona uses an initiative order) and that there's no knock-down component. You can customize your team a lot more in SMT since they're all demons you fuse, and that does add more complexity/depth, but the system itself isn't necessarily a deeper one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spermando posted:

The only Persona I've played is 5, but just the fact that buffs only last 3 turns and don't stack already changes the flow of the battles significantly. You can risk going underleveled into a fight in SMT if you have the right buffs.
Also, a lot of the Persona-exclusive additions to the combat system seem to be specifically designed to remove strategic decisions and risk-taking.

I was thinking about the differences in the combat systems and forgot one thing: the risk of losing turns in SMT, which doesn't happen in Persona. The closest comparison in Persona is when you used to risk falling down if you whiffed an attack, but that's gone as of 5. It's a pretty meaningful difference that you can straight-up lose an extra turn if you gently caress up in a Press Turn game, yeah.

I think some of this is selling Persona 5's combat short--like I've said before, I think the style and flow of combat is more than just superficial shine, and I think Baton Pass is a really engaging system (that I wish could be more present in boss battles). But yeah, buffs and debuffs being binary combined with the lack of a "lose an extra turn if you gently caress up" thing does mitigate risk. I think that's why I like Persona 5's combat best when it's "rocket tag," where you need to execute just the right string of turns or risk getting hosed up bad in return. That's unfortunately fairly rare no matter what difficulty you're on, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I should probably ask this in the RPG thread but since we're doing JRPG talk, what are some of the best JRPGs of the last few years that you think someone might've missed?

I'm playing P5 Royal right now and having a blast with it, but also my girlfriend likes watching that game so I only play it when she's down for some spectating so she doesn't miss story/confidant stuff. But I'm in a big JRPG mood and so I'm looking for something to play when I'm playing games on my own. I tried to replay P4G but as I brought up earlier the combat is so much clunkier compared to P5 that it's sort of hard to play them concurrently without P4's gameplay really suffering in comparison.

So: any recommendations?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

i keep not playing games tonight because i feel l ike i ""should"" be playing something else

wtf does that even mean, brain

I don't know but I am very familiar with the feeling

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For the record that is possibly my least favorite boss in all of Dragon Quest XI, it was just so frustrating to fight and I hated it.

I didn't play on hard mode but I might've quit there too if I did.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

reminds me of the sinking horror i felt at realizing the dhoulmagus fight wasn't meant to be unwinnable

Yeah it's a bit like that except with almost no story relevance so it just feels like an arbitrary difficulty spike out of nowhere.

Just about everything after that boss is more fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

that speedrun sounds miserable! and just makes me even less interested in jrpg hard modes outside of fire emblem

There are definitely JRPGs that can do difficulty well, but as much as I love Dragon Quest, it's not one of them. That's why I don't recommend any of the Draconian Quest modifiers except maybe the "don't let me overlevel" one. They either arbitrarily turn up enemy stats or arbitrarily turn down yours and the game's systems generally don't give you the kind of power over the flow of battle to overcome big number differences the way, say, an SMT or even Persona game does.

Hell, even the "don't let me overlevel" modifier is just arbitrarily limiting your stats by reducing the EXP you get from enemies if you're higher level than they are, but that one's fairly subtle and is mostly there for people who like to explore a lot but don't want to accidentally level so high that nothing's even vaguely a challenge anymore.

Dragon Quest XI on its default mode is a fairly easy game for most of its playtime and that's okay

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If nothing else, DQ8's biggest difficulty spike boss is also a climactic encounter with a major villain and not "random desert monster." It also doesn't have the Draconian Quest stuff to turn on and just make the game more tedious for no real benefit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I might just be Bad At Dragon Quest but I thought the level of challenge was pretty much just right for most of the game without Harder Monsters. It was a chill time for most of the game but the bosses that were supposed to be a big deal still put up a fight, and by endgame/postgame there were some reasonably challenging fights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

One story beat I really like in P5 is the actions of the main characters having impossible to hide consequences, forcing the world to respond and react to impossible to explain events. Is that a thing in the other ones? Or are the kids adventures more self-contained?

Persona 1 and 2 deal with weird poo poo happening in the real world so it's hard to ignore there. There's less of an "other world" element.

Persona 3 and 4 happen mostly in secret though. Persona 3 involves stuff most people aren't even aware is happening. Persona 4 has a serial murder mystery as its central plot but the main characters' involvement in solving the mystery and stopping the murders is never known to the public.

Persona 5 stands out with the Phantom Thieves' actions having public consequences even if most people have no idea what they're actually doing or who they are, while still not being about demons in the real world like 1 and 2.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 3, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Ivalice timeline is a fun one, it goes:

FF12 -> most of FFTA2 -> FFT -> Vagrant Story (depending on Matsuno's current mood, sometimes he says it's in Ivalice and sometimes he says it isn't) -> FFTA (modern town gets taken over by storybook version of old Ivalice) -> beginning and end of FFTA2 (kid from modern town time travels back to FF12-era Ivalice)

Alternatively, the modern-day parts of FFTA and FFTA2 do not take place in a modern Ivalice world, in which case FFTA2 isn't time travel and is instead traveling to an alternate dimension. (FFTA is still "storybook world takes over real town" though.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think there's a sort of in-jokey reference to it that hinted connection FF7R, if I remember correctly, but nothing that points to the connection actually being a serious one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Don't forget the FF14 Ivalice which reverses the timeline so Tactics occurred in the distant past and 12 sort of happens during the events of 14.

Fran helps you fight the ghost of Mustadio who has become an angel made of guns.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

FF14 Ivalice is like how America and Europe both have "Georgias" that are unrelated

Yeah, FFXIV Ivalice is a totally separate thing that just happens to look a whole lot like the Ivalice of FFXII/FFT and shares a whole lot of names but it's a separate universe and so the actual details are different. Sort of a common thing with FFXIV, like how FFXIV also has a Doma but it's unrelated to the FFVI one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think it's possible to actually make an SCP game that really captures the whole SCP thing. I'm aware of the games that are out there but ultimately so much of what SCP has become is just bigger, more abstract, and weirder than I think you could really slap game mechanics on in any larger-scale sense. You could probably make a game about a specific SCP or a few of them, perhaps, but any that go beyond "horror monster described in a really clinical way" are going to be really hard to adapt to any other medium.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of SCP is kind of tryhardy to be honest. Like they get 90% of the way through describing a creepy unsettling situation and can't help themselves from adding some dumb "...and they were never seen again" rejoinder.

I think the site's at a point where a lot of its users agree with you and sorta recoil against that sort of stuff, thankfully. At this point it's pretty common to see articles being critiqued pretty heavily for relying too hard on "the thing that kills you!!!" or "it's a spooky thing that makes you go crazy!!!" or just using a ton of redactions to no real effect.

These days I don't really like to revisit the old series 1 SCPs (which are most of the ones that people who don't visit the site often are aware of) because they're basically just clinically-written creepypasta, and sometimes not even that.

I mean 90% of the site is still kinda :shrug: but there's some real good poo poo there, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Witches are magic-users of the people and don't need fancy expensive wizard schools or big flashy towers, and so they are better

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I always play a battlemage if I can

:same: I'm a sucker for a melee mage of any kind

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Overwatch 2 seems really weird, it barely even sounded like a sequel at all idk what they're doing

It's essentially an expansion with a big fancy relaunch. It carries over all of your skins and progress and stuff and has crossplay with Overwatch 1 so it's probably easier to think of it as a big paid expansion than a sequel.

Path of Exile is doing basically the same thing with Path of Exile 2--it's more of a huge expansion with system overhauls than a sequel--but it didn't create quite the confusion Overwatch 2 did because PoE is free so they're not asking you to buy another $60 game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Inspired by Sohla's new video I think I'm going to make chicken wings with a maple syrup, gochujang, diced jalapenos, and lime juice glaze

gently caress that sounds good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was weird learning that Joss Whedon has a new tv show in 2021

What

Who is still paying him

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I looked it up out of curiosity and it looks like he left the show back in November and has been replaced: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbos-the-nevers-showrunner-replace-joss-whedon

It is cold comfort but at least this dark timeline has narrowly avoided bringing about Yet Another Joss Whedon Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Walla posted:

As long as there's plenty of male butts. I say 2 male butts for every female butt.

Metalgear.txt