Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

Judgement is getting a PS5 version, but you don't get an upgrade if you own the PS4 copy :argh:

No word on PC either by the sounds of it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/1356633482093596673

I think this is out the same day as Resident Evil Village?

Lmao £55 on Steam... Or for £65 you can also have a copy of the old crappy version of ME3 to play in the meantime I guess?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rarity posted:

If they want first place they should stop being lazy and drive better! :argh:

If you're so fast you should cross the finish line before the blue shell catches you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm honestly more surprised to hear that people actually played it. I always thought of it as a tacked-on afterthought like Assassin's Creed multiplayer.

It absolutely was a tacked on afterthought but it was pretty much the most fun example of what it was at the time.

I don't think there's be much point in remastering it today unless they seriously updated it, since I don't think it does anything that hasn't been iterated on and mastered by a million other games in the last decade.

(And ME3 had plenty of good stuff, shut up).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waltzing Along posted:

They wanted the games rewritten into a cohesive story and with the same gameplay all the way through.

Do people really want this in 2021? I definitely don't want them to replace 1's gameplay and the story is the story. The best thing to do is to take a step back, assess what went wrong with 3, learn lessons and write the next chapter (but better than the last time they did that).

BioWare basically doesn't exist anymore though so may as well just leave it.

Waltzing Along posted:

This half-assed remake is such a bad idea. If they are going to do it, do it right.

It's not a remake.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Film grain will never not be cool though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Evil Badman posted:

Embracer also picked up Aspyr, who do Mac ports, today as well.

Who are Embracer? They own THQ Nordic GmbH, Koch Media GmbH/Deep Silver, Coffee Stain AB, Amplifier Game Invest, Saber Interactive and DECA Games. 

Based on that list they seem like a group to steer well clear of.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd say that any game that originally released as trilogy but later has additional entries still counts. Mass Effect falls into that category.

Especially where the original creator/studio stepped away from the series after the first three ie Phoenix Wright and Crash.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/GavinDYoung/status/1356776946923896832?s=19

This is what I assumed was the case. It's a near certainty that the real villain is either an Umbrella man, some kind of cultist or another demon child. RIP tall lady.

VideoGames posted:

It is either one sequel or tons of more entries. Very rarely do we have just three games. That is kind of interesting to me. :)

Jak & Daxter fits if you ignore that racing game.

While I enjoyed Jak 2 and 3 plenty I'd love to see the parallel universe where the trilogy iterated on Jak 1 instead of throwing it out of the window and going into sci fi GTA land.

stev fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 3, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LawfulWaffle posted:

RE8 ends with Ethan finding a hidden lab in the mountains near the chateau where a monsterously tall woman fills a cavernous room. Is she the tallest woman the game has to offer? My lips are sealed.

When you find out why the woman is tall you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arzaac posted:

This is something that reeks of an abandoned feature. Probably every job was gonna have a field skill and there'd be a tutorial about it but they droppped it halfway through and the only bits that stuck in the map design were the destructible foreman points.

It would make sense if they at least tutorialised it and gave the player a reason to explore the early parts of the map again once they unlock the job changing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At least you can still take a skeleton on a date in Undertale.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think a big part of why I loved Mass Effect back in the day was that they made an effort to pretend the nonsense space travel technology could be scientifically possible. It felt grounded in a way that most sci fi games don't bother to. The first game was also just the right amount of jank and broken to be charming as hell. Also film grain. :swoon:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe because there's just a severe lack of decent space space opera games? idk

Honestly it's the only big budget space opera game I can think of outside of Star Wars. Almost all space travel games are intensely boring and system driven (or Star Wars).

I suppose ME1 mostly resonated with people who would've gone mad for a decent Star Trek game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If I'd started with 1 instead of 0 I probably wouldn't have bothered carrying on to Kiwami 2, which is absolutely fantastic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Honestly it needed to be, they’ve been telling a continuation of a story that started in like 2010. It’s a really good story but at some point it needs to end

It's the overarching story of FF14 though. :shrug: Once the conflict between gods and the battle against the empire is resolved what will there even be to move on to?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

CD Projekt Red got hacked, and everything got stolen.
https://twitter.com/CDPROJEKTRED/status/1359048125403590660

I love that hackers still talk like that. The brainworms are intense.

Infinitum posted:

No what you do is wait until another website 'reports it' and then you report on that.
Thus sidestepping the situation where you would get turbo-sued for hosting stolen data.

Yeah everything in the Capcom leaks was widely reported almost instantly. Once it's out there it's fair game. I guess if an outlet is really concerned about their cosy relationship with a publisher they'll stay quiet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lurdiak posted:

The replies are full of people scolding anyone who thinks this objectively funny thing is funny and sending their heartfelt best wishes to a soulless company that mistreats its employees and customers.

I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about the board of directors. It's the other 1000+ employees who will likely be hosed by this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SeXReX posted:

I just hope Jackie Weaver doesn't get milkshake ducked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGmYeAm0jk

She's a Tory.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've really grown to resent MGSV over the years. Yeah it had fine stealth mechanics but it was lacking in everything that makes Kojima's games enjoyable. Peace Walker was better imo.

Open world stealth really doesn't do it for me. Ground Zeroes was fine because it was so tight and felt like a really good Nu Hitman level. MSGV's areas are mostly flat landscapes and none of the buildings/bases felt fun to infiltrate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

What an incorrect statement

Yeah, Rising definitely counts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hatty posted:

there was that one game that tried to look like the ps1 version of MGS1, I just remember the president was a helicopter and I think it was a roguelike

Volume? It was pretty dull unless you really really love the VR missions in MGS1 and nothing else about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lurdiak posted:

I overall agree with that but there are story elements in GZ that are very :catstare:.

I too was upset to be played like a drat fiddle.

I wish GZ couldn't easily be completed in 20 minutes. I'm very route one and rarely go back to games/levels I've completed unless I adored them so I feel like I missed out on a lot of what it had to offer because the game didn't force me to explore more.

It's why I make a conscious effort to spent at least 90 minutes in a Hitman map before finishing it now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Khanstant posted:

What horrible fate befell their studio he had to make this gem on such a POS console instead of whatever normal play station they had at the time?

The PS3 remaster was good. It's how I played it anyway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MM = WW > BOTW = TP > OOT > That other loving one

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I do wish they'd had another attempt at localising them for the remaster. The approach they took is very late 90s 4Kids. I don't think Western audiences today would mind if their fun anime lawyer game was set in Japan.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waffleman_ posted:

The weird setting caused by the localization is a huge charm point for the western fan base what are you talking about? Like yeah, keep Great Ace Attorney in Japan and England because the themes of the stories are tied to those locations but cmon man.

Sure, I get that it's become part of the series' appeal over the years but it'd be nice if there were at least an option to strip it back. It's not like an anime where you can just switch to a subbes version if you're not enjoying the weirdly localised dub.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm just kind of curious, but what exactly do you think would be improved about the games by doing that? It just because it's a "weird localization" or does something about the setting itself bother you? Weird and absurd situations are kind of what Phoenix Wright is all about, so I'm having difficulty seeing how the silliness of the localization really harms it.
No, it's not a major issue - it just bugs me slightly. I suppose the closest comparison is Yakuza - they could have claimed the localized version is set in New York and it would have made a weird twisted sense given how batshit everything else in the series is, but I'm glad they didn't do that.

fridge corn posted:

Emet-Selch was such a dumb villain
No gently caress you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Does anyone still play Smash on the regular? Even if they do just keep it segregated to its own drat Directs.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Convex posted:

I wonder if Nintendo will ever release a classic look version of Wind Waker again; I really dislike the way the HD version looks.

I didn't mind the HD version but I know what you mean. In the original every character looked a painting in each frame, whereas the remaster has very distinct 3D models without much detail.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Khanstant posted:

the gently caress is this spoiler rear end trailer for outer wilds

Yeah that's pretty scummy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They didn't even attempt to make Skyward Sword look kind of nice.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rarity posted:

I feel like 'we're remastering everyone's least favourite Zelda' didn't need to have quite such a focus on it

"Yes we know it's terrible but some of the idea were refined and used in BOTW so please buy it as a bizarre historical artifact"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

homeless snail posted:

if you like rpgs, it was a powerful direct

I like RPGs it was loving poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Terror nubs

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

no S-tier controllers... yet

Major disrespect to the DK bongos.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

For a second there I thought they were just going to give up and announce the Steam version.

Welp, see you next year IOI.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Any games I got an EGS I just linked to Steam and launched through that anyway. It just bugs me not to have the Steam features as standard and I always regret not just waiting.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Khanstant posted:

same with hearing top 40 radio hit from your highschool days or whatever played slowed down or sung dramatically to orchestral music. cool trick and all but even by the gears of war trailer with the good cover of mad world it was a bit old

Nah I'll always like this as long as it's relevant to the game/movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Honestly the only two things Blizzard could do that would excite me are Warcraft 4 and Diablo 4 and one is already happening and probably won't be good. :shrug: