Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harrow posted:

I miss Breath of Fire :negative:

I probably wouldn't want to play it anymore nowadays but Dragon Quarter holds a special place in my heart

Arguably worst-looking dragon form in the series but mechanically I had so much fun with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I know this is a hot take but I liked it because of the D-Counter, rather than in spite of it

For those who don't know, the basic idea is that Ryu's dragon form in that game stupidly, completely, and in all ways breaks combat utterly in two - BUT. Using dragon-stuff increases a % called the D-Counter which can never be reduced, and if it hits 100% Ryu dies (quite horribly, IIRC) and the game ends

People hated that - why the gently caress would you put a limiter on the game series' showpiece, right? - but thinking back it made for more interesting combat and decision making in the long run. To me at least, in other BoF games base-Ryu may as well have not existed once he can do the Trogdor thing. (There's also the ways the ironically-named SOL system could exploit it for fun & profit)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 1, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

This quote both makes all the sense and yet no sense at all.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1356325479909896193

The words "google" and "underfunded" just don't gel in my head

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh yeah lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

y'all i think... i think capitalism might have some flaws

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve not played this D-Counter game but based on the description, my gamotype (conservative, perfectionist, OCD) means that I would never ever use the cool dragon powers

Yeahhhh, but

At a time when single digits weren't uncommon Ryu could D-Dive and get three or four digits repeatedly and with almost no setup; that's one hell of a powerful temptation

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mechanical mandible posted:

It’s been a looooong time since I played it, so I might be misremembering. Once you conked out at 100%, you had to start from the beginning of the game again; however, the story/path through the game changed right?

How in-depth was that aspect of the game? I think I only had to restart once after I understood the D counter system.

every time you had to restart - be it for your reason or beating it, or arbitrarily - you're assigned a D-Ratio, from 1/8192 down to the titular 1/4, and that ratio locks extra rooms, the odd encounter, and pieces of story that add context - dunno if it was much more than that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nier automata has the best fishing minigame in that it has hardly any gameplay and nothing ever requires it, and you get cute bits of writing for it

ironic, considering the previous game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Is there a procedurally generated Roguelike turn-based-menu-combat jRPG yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/527230/For_The_King/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i keep not playing games tonight because i feel l ike i ""should"" be playing something else

wtf does that even mean, brain

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Is there a procedurally generated Roguelike turn-based-menu-combat jRPG yet?

I just remembered Lufia 2's Ancient Cave

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

I don't know but I am very familiar with the feeling

lmk if you ever find a cure or treatment cos fuckin' a

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

either way, Zangief never gets paid :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

been playing Cyber-Shadow after reading Real hurthling!s posts

It's fun but I gotta say I'm not a fan of them introducing a parry mechanic so late(?) in the game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Andromeda broke the Vanguard Combo, making it a bullshit game for idiots

what. what the hell did they do to my baby

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bioware...............

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if there's one thing i learned from MK64 it's that you always want a patsy in first place

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

where do warlocks come into this discussion

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I'm actually close to finishing Cyber-Shadow this time. Great little game, tunes are fuckin' bangin if you don't hate chiptunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkYvrXXvddc

has me wanting to replay The Messenger, actually - never quite got to the end of that

Apparently 2D ninja platformers are my Thing, who knew? :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 5, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Chapter 10 kicked my rear end for 2 days

the boss has me putting the controller down for a while, yes :tizzy:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kerrzhe posted:

if you look up you can see yggdrasil

i could look at this game all day

especially the big troll heads i attached to the sides of my house. eat poo poo, you big dumb trolls

what game is this? looks pretty

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

to me those sorts of relationship/sex scenes/mechanics/etc were always just intensely uncomfortable

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

NutritiousSnack posted:

That's always been the common refrain on here, but it's what got this poo poo sold back in the day

i've never really given much thought on why i dislike them so much - lord knows teen-me was as horny as anyone else, but even with absolutely no one around i'd find myself skipping through the dialogue out of sheer embarrassment

little odd, thinking back

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

for me mass effect's entire attraction was "wow cool scifi!!!" and at least for 1 and 2 i got everything I wanted

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

boobs're good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Ys 9 kicks rear end you have a grapple beam and can run up walls by hour 2 and theres 4 more movement abilities apparently

The part about welfare making the poor lazy was a little weird tho but nothings perfect.

How did you feel about Ys 8, if you played it? I haven't exactly bounced off but I'm not wild about it thus far either

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gonna give Outer Wilds another go today & tomorrow

i'm usually stopped by a mix of wandering attention span and an extremely excessive fear of falling into e.g. suns, black holes, planetary cores and similar gravitational phenomena

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling!s posts about ys 9 made me check and realize it's not out on Steam yet, and now I'm sad :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I need a little spoiler-ish help with Outer Wilds. Brittle Hollow's , er, brittle-ness is still giving me the hibbly-jibblies real bad; are the places/times it demonstrates that random, or can I at least be assured of myself in select areas?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Yes, no. That area _is_ random. Each chunk of the place has its own HP bar (visible when u slap a scout on it), there are random projectiles from the nearby projectile generator, and depending on where it hits and how frequently, diff section fall in sooner or later. Some areas naturally have lower HP and are more likely to fall in earlier, but there is no set pattern.

However, you can be reasonably assured in other ways. For one thing, the penatly for fucknig up and falling isn't so bad, sometimes you might do it on purpose. Second, you can get some wild orbits and curves when you do fall off a chunk that end up landing you somewhere safe (or a deadly smack into a wall at high speed, which honestly, is so fun that it's okay)

Thanks for the info. I spent some time exploring and I know what the penalty is now, so it's a little less daunting

That being said, even knowing that, doing it still curdles my stomach enough to make me want to look away. Weird thing to have a phobia about, if you can call it that, but I was the same way with jumps in Elite: Dangerous, so it seems consistent :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 7, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

I loving hate jumping off tall poo poo in games
I don't mind doing this in terrestrial games - in fact it can be kinda fun, I loved doing it in FF14 just for giggles, especially in Kugane - but in space? gently caress that, gently caress that five thousand times over and every single major gravitational phenomenon out there alongside t:mad:

Khanstant posted:

Ciaphas, I get you on the stomach curdling, though maybe I like the sensation more than you. It's like in a videogame when you take a giant leap or fall, that weird sinking feeling in stomache as if you were the one suddenly dropping.
kinda neat if we are talking about the same sensation, 'cos I usually find that stomach lurch to be quite a horrible experience! In earth-bound games I just plain don't experience it at all, fortunately

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

How do you feel bout rollercoasters? I'm mostly indifferent, i don't like being knocked about and im not that into being physically pushed around at velocity. I dunno what it is though, artificially inducing that weird feeling is different. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a kind of unpleasant feeling, but something about it being fake and me being safe and just doing actual mindgames to my mind, makes me appreciate it in a weird way.

p.s. - i would love to jump into a blackhole IRL, I'm scared of heights but not being into spaghetti stream of particles

Rollercoasters are fuckin' great, I haven't been on one in years and I miss them. Adding 'look for a nearby-ish theme park' to my post-pandemic list :v:

I also really want to go paragliding someday, to add further context. Brains're weird!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Time for a break on OW, and man more games with infodumps need a Rumor Mode like this to tie it all together like this

Really helpful to my colander-like memory

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

since black holes have come up: Kurzgesagt is a fantastic channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHBGFKLHZQ

"You'd die. You'd also lose the coin." "Nooooo!"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Goons hate being at top of tall buildings (successful businessman) and taking baths, go figure.

I find the ocean depths less spooky than astrological gravitational crap, I can say that

Still spooky, but at least there appears to be no crush depth in OW, so that helps a lot

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i have an objection to the poll, btw: kirby is a devout and incredibly powerful Christian, they'd never swear :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC3pEQB3_Tc&t=145s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

there's a stuper bowl?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is ­unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably ­arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic.

... what?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

augh jfc just yeeted myself into the sun by accident in outer wilds

that's a month of my poor heart's lifespan i'm not getting back :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

guh, christ OW, i love and hate you so much

being on the Twins near the end of a cycle and looking up is worse than any fuckin' horror game, I tell you. literally a relief when the drat thing just blows up