Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

He also started and fueled a civil war in Greece during WWII when it looked like the communists was about to get power.

He also encouraged Greece to attack Turkey in like 1920 in order to partition it between France, the UK and Greece (he also offered Italy a piece too, although they found out that they had been offered the same piece as Greece so they turned it down).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It's funny that even in an article criticizing the notion that the firebombing campaign won the war, he can't bring himself to mention that it was primarily the Soviet declaration of war that forced the Japanese to surrender. Once they realized that the Soviets weren't going to help negotiate a favorable peace, the jig was up.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

imo it was the double punch of the invasion and the bombs that finally got the war faction to stand aside

It's hard to say precisely because there wasn't a little war score bar you could hover over and see -30% nukes -30% loss of Manchuria. But the fact that they were hoping to preserve their colony in Manchuria and then suddenly... boom... it was overrun... I think that made them realize that they had lost their last bargaining chip.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Ahh yes the extremely thoughtful 'they were the bad guys!!' analysis

Finally, someone who sympathizes with my poor grandfather, tragically died while falling out of a guard tower.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CoolCab posted:

there are many times and places in human history where if we hung everyone who deserved it we'd run out of trees before we ran out of necks

Just another reason why we need to be planting more trees...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Does anyone know anything about Russia and the Japanese during WWI? I mean they're both on the same side, but what were their relations like? I don't know anything before the Japanese interventions in the Russian Far East during the Civil War.

I think Russia was too busy throwing wave after wave of their own men at Tannenberg and for some reason they didn't have a Far East fleet so Japan was able to snaffle up the sweet German colonies they were after without any "help" from Russia.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Popy posted:

I was joking with a friend about some marrying some decedent of the spanish burbon royal family and he laughed at me and told me to look up whose the current king of spain. :smith:

Did the french revolution actually matter :(

Anyone can marry the decedent of a royal family, get a shovel and find your spouse now!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Weka posted:

It mattered and it was bad. Plunging Europe into 20 years of war is kinda a big deal imo.

Lookit this Pitt the Younger apologist here

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

“wounded”

Yeah, he died 'with cannonball to the chest', not 'of cannonball to the chest'.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I think Yamamoto kind of got the "Rommel" treatment where after the war his loyal supporters cherry-picked his papers and quotes to make him look better.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bengasine pasta looks just like spaghetti, so I guess it ain't going away.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

I wonder how much looted war gold he is sitting on

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Re: that quote from Nimitz, the "Hero of Midway":

Black people don't automatically like other black people just because they're black. They're human beings. Imagine being a "mess boy" on a navy ship in WW2 where you live in a tiny floating metal box that you can't get off of for weeks or months and you aren't allowed to hang out with anyone other than the other 3-10 black people and you don't particularly like any of them and there's combat situations going on and you can't serve a gun or do anything other than make ham sandwiches and coffee.

In the 70s there were mutinies on several US ships by the black sailors since they were consistently and obviously getting the worst jobs on the ships and having their shore leave denied.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
IIRC the official mission of the American Vladivostok expedition was to secure the port & the eastern terminus of the Trans-Siberian railway so that the Czech legion could be safely evacuated but the unofficial mission was to make sure that they were in American hands instead of Japanese hands because the Americans didn't want the Japanese to take advantage of the chaos to expand their holdings in the Pacific. The other unofficial mission was to support the Whites, but since the main white leader in the region was the bloody baron, well, kinda hard to support someone who's too busy killing his own men to go out and fight the Reds.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

i say swears online posted:

was looking up steam ships and just found out that the first one was american, not british. what the gently caress, limeys??

seriously though why don't i know this

IIRC he even offered to build them for the French, but they turned him down as well.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The 1924 democratic primary was jokingly called the "Klan bake" because it was a battle between the pro-KKK candidate and the anti-KKK candidate. While the anti-KKK candidate won, it wasn't by a large amount, and I'm sure that a lot of African American voters still remembered that, as well as all the other terrible things the democratic party had done to them over the years.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Man it's weird how the guys who ran their empires into the ground liked looking at a pile of firewood and saying to themselves "this was once a mighty and thriving thing that gave life and sustenance to millions of living beings and I, with my own two hands, have turned it into naught but fuel for the all-consuming fire, devourer of worlds." Probably also why G.W boasted so much about 'clearing brush' on his ranch while he was president.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It only "didn't work out for them" because they were taken out with force by the aristocracy as a form of desperation. Also, the principate made the concept of a dictator obsolete but the name or position didn't matter as much as a centrally force that would then override the senate as they wished.

Sulla wasn't taken out by force by the aristocracy, he died fat and rich on his luxurious estate taken from his enemies.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

500excf type r posted:

He witnessed at least one a bomb test with his own eyes iirc he said Oppenheimer dropped some sand or grass or something and did some quick napkin calculations on the bomb that were remarkably accurate compared to the real data later

That was trinity

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
She was a spy for the union army during the civil war. Only took her like 40 years afterwards to get a pension for it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Buddy cop procedural set in warlord period china

Bridge of Birds would be difficult to turn into a film but kickin' rad if they managed it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Weembles posted:

I read an account of the HUAC hearings and the red scare where one of the common accusations against people who were black listed was that they were "prematurely antifascist."

American volunteers who'd fought against Franco in the Spanish Civil war were rejected from joining the US military for that reason as well.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

was it for explicitly that reason? i figure joining another country's military would be a good reason to not let people sign up

I read an interview of a Spanish Civil war vet who had said that's what he was told after the war when he'd started asking around. He'd tried to join up in 1942 and was rejected, but by the time 1944 rolled around he'd been let in, probably because ideological purity wasn't as important as getting more meat for the grinder.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The best thing about Ol' Slow Trot I remember reading was that he'd regularly fall asleep during war councils and only pipe in to say poo poo like "this army does not retreat." The only mark against him is he didn't replace Buell as early as he could have. Iirc he felt it would be too impertinent so some of that southern propriety must have stuck with him.

Buell was Thomas's boss not the other way around.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It's interesting to try and figure out what Japan was offering from their internal communiques, post-war statements and other documents but as far as I know they never made any sort of offer to the Allies so it's kind of moot? And negotiating with the Soviets was all well and good but the Soviets told them "the best you can get is unconditional surrender" and they still refused to offer peace. The Soviet declaration of war was something the US had been asking for; at Yalta I believe the Soviets agreed to declare war on Japan within 90 days of Germany's surrender and they held up theirpart of the deal.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Nelson was a war-criminal who carried out the first terror-bombing in modern European history.

quote:

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

platzapS posted:

Modernity is all weird and bundled up in the French revolution. Equal rights for women took centuries despite deriving obviously from 1789 liberalism. There's unfulfilled goals of Seneca Falls, at least regarding religion.

Maybe the Catholic Church but there's other options unless you believe that transubstantiation can only be done by man I guess.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

why can't a god lose their divinity?

alternatively, the title might just be omitting the "in the public conscious" part, in the expectation that prospective readers are smart enough to not take the title literally

Falling behind on research because you're sending out your mages to fight is the number 1 reason most gods end up losing their divinity.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

helen killer invented the idea of "life unworthy of life" for malformed idiot babies

Huh, they named the woman suggesting infanticide "killer".

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

don't ties on dice rolls go the way of the defender in Risk?

Yeah but you get to use up to three dice instead of two.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Sancho Banana posted:

I like Francis Brooks' quote about modern history starting with Cortes and Montezuma's meeting in 1519, so I'm going with that. The vibes are immaculate with that one.

Modern age began in 1419 because that's when EU begins.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

EU II belongs to the ancient era of video games.

"classic"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bedpan posted:

isn't this essentially everyone who lives in modern Iraq and the surrounding area? same way that they are the descendants of the assyrians?

Well the Assyrians live in what is now northern Iraq and the Sumerians in southern Iraq so they're more likely to be related to them, as well as the Chaldeans, Elamites, Martu and anyone else that was hanging around there when the marshes were formed. Keep in mind that that area was part of the Persian gulf ~4000 years ago, the marshes slowly formed after a few thousand years of sediment deposits at the mouths of the rivers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

There was a culture of marsh-dwellers in Gascony who walked around on stilts. It's hard to tax or conscript people who live in swamps, so the French government drained all the marshes and destroyed this culture in the early 19th century.

Also the fens in England where they were using the swamps to catch fish and hunt and smuggle instead of raising sheep so they used new-fangled steam technology to drain the fens to put an end to that sort of unproductive use of land.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

I hope the vacation was fun. And yeah, would not want to have to waddle up turkey shoot beach.

Yeah that looks like a cool place to go. Re: Midway though I think, in theory, a hypothetical Japanese amphibious invasion would involve considerable shore bombardment and air support from the non-sunk aircraft carriers so it's not like they'd be wading towards intact defenders.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

I am going to be in a waiting room for about six hours tomorrow, recommend your favorite history book here and I swear I will read it

Poilu: The World War 1 notebooks of Louis Barthas

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it was popular enough that it flowed back to the "home country" from the american side of my family. i was told as a child that one of them was a insanely fat american sheriff who married a sioux princess, which i definitely believed as a kid because they lead the story with the super fat part.

Lying about Native American women is a time-honored tradition in the colonies. After all, John Smith probably never met Pocahontas; he was medivacced from Jameston after his powderhorn exploded while he was carrying it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe he met her in London.

No, she died of TB shortly after she arrived in London with her husband. He wrote about his 'adventures' 20 years later and they were mostly made up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Less than 50 years.

Running a kingdom is hard, especially when you start running out of scorpions.