Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Where in which episode does Mike Duncan claim that? Not distrusting you but such a slip i want to hear for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Peggotty posted:

Is that some sort of joke I'm not getting or are you honestly recommending Christopher Clark?

What is the deal with CC? Havent gotten around to read Sleepwalkers yet, but i liked his book on Prussia (Iron Kingdom) well enough for a popular history book. I would be willing to assign more blame on Germany for ww1 than he does but dont know enough about the man aside from being on one side of a controversial historiography surroinding ww1.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

First successful one. That said, it makes sense that the British would not be spearheading this line of research, given that a leap in naval technology would mean having to rebuild their entire navy. Sort of like how America probably wouldn't want to invent an entirely new type of dominant ship type, because it'd devalue its current lead. (The MIC might gently caress with that logic though.)

Brits kind of opened that door themselves with the dreadnoughts.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
his tattoo is most likely fake though, first mentioned in a Parisian play as a plot point but no evidence of it anywhere else (although the tattoo from the play got repeated in written histories after the fact).

But we do have published letters from him published in English and french papers where he states: “As a republican by principle and conviction, I will unto my death fight all royalists”. That is 100% real.

Falukorv has issued a correction as of 15:09 on Apr 16, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I read "Afgantsy" which covers similar ground as a general history of the war for a wider audience.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
not strictly military but the first successful use of a car as a robbery getaway vehicle was French, in 1911.

the first ever was in the US two years prior but they got caught immediately.

edit: misremembered, initially wrote first ever car getaway which isn’t true, but being the first to live up to the name and actually make a getaway isn’t to bad

Falukorv has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Sep 28, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
speaking of old flawed studies being cited forever and taken as truth until somebody tracks it down, the lethal dose of nicotine is definitely one of those.

I heard the 60 mg figure alot growing up and also took it as truth as it still ubiquitous in serious medical sources.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3880486/

Going back to the original self-experimentation study that extrapolated the lethal dose is hilarious because something is def off, when they start to describe the effects of 1-4 mg of oral nicotine (more or less as much nicotine that is absorbed from one of my snus pouches (swedish stuffed tobacco):

"After 1–4 mg of nicotine, these authors felt a burning sensation in the mouth, scratchy throat, increased saliva excretion, followed by a feeling of warmness emanating from the stomach, which spread over the chest and from the head to the toes and fingertips. Afterwards the subjects became agitated, suffered from headache, dizziness, numbness, cloudy vision and hearing, light sensitivity, anxiety, dryness of the throat, coldness of the limbs, ructus [belch], flatulence, nausea, vomiting and rectal tenesmus. Respiration was accelerated and labored, pulse rate increased initially, and rose directly with the increasing dose; but later rose and fell erratically. After 45 min the experimenters lost consciousness. One of them suffered clonic seizures for 2 h, particularly of the respiratory muscles, also tremors of the limbs and shivering over the whole body. After the initial recovery, feelings of exhaustion, drowsiness and bleakness remained for 3 days."

A rather extreme reaction for that supposed dose.

Falukorv has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Jan 5, 2023

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
hell Russian is surprisingly uniform across Siberia and the far east, most variation you will find in the core European regions but even there it’s surprisingly homogenous. but like America I guess much of it was settled pretty late, not including the various peoples already living there

Falukorv has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Mar 3, 2024

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
similar history to the Ria de Aveiro in Portugal, a large lagoon by the city the lagoon is named after. A large expanse of salt marshes, and one of the most iconic symbols of the region are the beautifully painted low-keeled boats (moliceiros) used to collect seaweed for fertiliser.

and like the Basra marshes it’s more recent than you think. only during the last few thousand years that the river Vouga began to fill it with enough sediment at the mouth of the river to expand the marshes and dunes. even cut off the lagoon and the city from the ocean in like the 18th century so they have since built a channel to maintain the sea connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
a woman at a party was surprised that i was "white" when she asked where my unusual name was from (Portugal). "But you dont look like youre from Africa"