Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dreylad posted:

until the Stellaris thread started accusing Wiz of racism over immigration mechanics lol

also the Battle of Blair Mountain is nuts. imagine gathering together all your unions and allies to face off against company strikebreakers and associated corrupt sheriffs and the loving air force shows up and bombs you

To be pedantic, it was the United States Army Air Service at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Did Lincoln have backers in the oil industry?

Weka
May 5, 2019

The Tsar obviously knew to invest in Eastern Poland early.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Presumably a bunch of these civilians being warcrimed are children.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

also topical on the subject of german civilians

https://mobile.twitter.com/dotorii_muk/status/1449155430022795266

these kinds of stories are extremely common in korean communities in the diaspora and no one seems to notice the irony of thinking their ancestors were basically good people while also thinking japan hasnt done enough to answer for their crimes in world war two

theres also the irony of the winning south korean political faction not just doing the same thing to communists but simply calling literally anyone who expressed any opinions contrary to their own a communist just to have a plausible excuse for their american overlords why they needed to be murdered

Wasn't Japan's rule in Korea relatively light handed? I'd hesitate to be too harsh to someone working some low level civil service job.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Maximo Roboto posted:

Why was the First Gulf War imperialist? Bush's ambassador hosed up an avoidable war, but that aside wasn't it also defensive war against authoritarian aggression, that had sanction from the international community?

I asked about this and didn't get much of an answer but I thought about it for a bit and I'm leaning towards Bush gave Saddam the green light to invade so he could start the war. Seems about on par for an ex CIA director.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Popy posted:

I was joking with a friend about some marrying some decedent of the spanish burbon royal family and he laughed at me and told me to look up whose the current king of spain. :smith:

Did the french revolution actually matter :(

It mattered and it was bad. Plunging Europe into 20 years of war is kinda a big deal imo.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

My parents.

Buy them accounts.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Yeah I don't think a human can set off a naval mine, at least not easily.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Yo momma could set off a naval mine.

Despite her immense mass she could not, as naval mines typically have magnetic triggers. Unless you refer to your dick as a naval mine (explodes in the wet).

Weka
May 5, 2019

Did killing him lead to a bunch of jostling between admirals?

Weka
May 5, 2019

sullat posted:

Bengasine pasta looks just like spaghetti, so I guess it ain't going away.

Now every time I eat spaghetti I will think of vilerat. Thanks.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Some arsehole tried to shoot it, it wasn't rammed by a ship or anything.
A variety of dolphin extremely uncommon in NZ waters so maybe just finding friends where it could.

Weka
May 5, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

What did NATO think the USSR's objective was if the balloon ever went up in Europe? "Unify" Germany? Occupy France? Drive all the way to Lisbon?

"NATO" here is pretty broad and ranged from 'defend themselves and avoid war in Russia' to 'murder babies and destroy freedom for ever'.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That was one way to do it. It still loving sucked for all involved, however

Will this fit as a thread title?

Weka
May 5, 2019

sullat posted:

Man it's weird how the guys who ran their empires into the ground liked looking at a pile of firewood and saying to themselves "this was once a mighty and thriving thing that gave life and sustenance to millions of living beings and I, with my own two hands, have turned it into naught but fuel for the all-consuming fire, devourer of worlds." Probably also why G.W boasted so much about 'clearing brush' on his ranch while he was president.

This disrespect of the Sassanids will not stand!

Weka
May 5, 2019

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=370

British history seems to be taught from the perspective of a first person shooter where the Brits are the hero player character.

Rip and tear!

Weka
May 5, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm no history major but I'm pretty sure the US did not impose an embargo on Japan because it wanted to punish the empire for their crimes against the Chinese

Maybe it was jealous. It could have been America extracting all that wealth!

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hey daily reminder: Winston Churchill was not the democratically elected leader of a democracy in WW2

No British prime minister is directly elected to the role. It's a royal appointment. Nevertheless he was elected as an MP and appointed as Prime Minister with the support of the majority of the house of commons, ie in the usual way. If you are referring to the war time government continuing without further elections, it does not change that he was elected to the role in the normal fashion in line with the constitution of the United Kingdom.

Oh and I feel like you are severely underestimating the racism of the lords if you think they would have voted for a foreigner and a commoner over churchill.

Weka
May 5, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the uk isn't a democracy

How so?

Weka
May 5, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Powerful royal institutions, headed by a queen that has been in power for as long as basically any politician has been in office, an unrepresentative political system, as well as laws that allow the powerful to suppress basically any stories that cast them in a bad light.

e: oh yeah, the capture of state media by one political party too, further decreasing the public's ability to make informed decisions

Most people in the UK seem to support keeping the monarchy so I'm not sure getting rid of it would be democratic.
FPP might not be perfectly democratic, but then what is? It is a flawed democratic system. Athens was a democracy, just a very flawed one.
The last two are just problems you tend to see in democracys. You would probably see them in some hypothetical ideal democracy.

Weka
May 5, 2019

You are literally posting this unironically

Oh poo poo did you take that as a moral justification for the UK in any sense? I'm not really a fan of democracy, although it's not necessarily a bad thing. The UK would be an example to me of a democracy that stinks, like real bad.
You seem to have some sort of higher standard of democracy than me though. Would you mind telling me what it is and how it avoids the pitfalls of something like Blightey's democracy?

Weka
May 5, 2019

I'm not on trial here. No monarchy is a loving democracy

I'm sorry if my asking you to explain your position made you feel attacked buddy. What if you could vote for the king? I really feel like you're coming at this from an American democratic ideals perspective and that's a pretty narrow view.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If something is sufficiently flawed compared to the standard, then it should not count as belonging to that group. And while I am not sure I'd call any existing state a true democracy, the UK is so far from meeting the standard that it doesn't even belong to the charitable "flawed democracy" group.

I definitely would not call Athens a democracy either. The percentage of the population who were able to participate was like 30%, and only 10-20% did. There is no world where that is a democracy.

The world where Athens is a democracy is classical Greece, where it was more democratic than most.
What actually existing polities would you consider good enough to count?

Weka
May 5, 2019

What if there was no King, ever?

So you would deny the people what the majority of them wants for ideological reasons? Perhaps you too think democracy ain't that great.

Orange Devil posted:

How the gently caress was Athens a democracy?

A certain category of people voted on laws. Much like now when anyone but the most bedtime hating anarchist thinks that the right to vote should be limited to certain categories, ie over a certain age. Our selection of these categories is probably better than theirs. However in some ways it was more democratic than modern democracys, being direct rather than representative.

Democracy is a system and you all shouldn't assign it a positive moral value. It's just hamburger brained nonsense.

Southpaugh posted:

Anyway, the point is you're splitting hairs describing dictatorship of the bourgeois.

This fellow gets it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This is the politics version of “we should let people sign slave contracts.”

I think it's pretty clear from what I've been saying I think people should not have complete freedom of choice to do things like this. What is up with you all processing criticism of democracy as my using democracy as a presumed good?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

So when does the class of people allowed to vote in a democracy become so restricted that it no longer qualifies as a democracy, in your view?

It depends on the society. To take classical Athens as an example again (wrong thread I know, I'd use America but my American history is weak) not much more than 10% of the population had the right to vote but maybe a third of the population was slaves and another third non-citizens. Now it's generally easier today to get citizenship in a polity than it was then but it's still generally accepted to be ok democratic practice to limit voting to citizens. Slaves not being able to vote seems fairly self explanatory, you're already denying them probably the most basic human right. They are not members of the group. Women and children were generally considered to be unfit to vote. Today we tend to agree with half of that, but maybe in 2000 years some nerd on the galaxy wide web will say you can't really have a democracy if children can't vote.
If, according to the values and knowledge of the society in question, there is a vote based method for representing the will of the people, then it counts imo. I guess democracy is a continuum and while something may not be very democratic it still is democratic.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Weka you are dumb as hell, sorry about your brain.

Don't worry, I'm used to it by now, I'm not sure what I'd do if it got too much better.

Weka
May 5, 2019

vyelkin posted:

Richard Evans points out that Ohler distorts evidence and overestimates how prevalent use of amphetamines was, and in doing so minimizes the Nazis' culpability for their own crimes by insinuating that they were made worse by drug use, abuse, and withdrawal instead of being conscious choices. Some of this is also basic statistics that are easy to overstate when you don't provide the larger context for the figures. For example:

For a comparable historical phenomenon, however, it is really interesting to think about how we've internalized patterns of daily life that relied heavily on drugs, especially stimulants, to become norms in the first place. Doctors work incredibly long shifts because one very influential doctor was constantly high on cocaine so he could work 16 hours straight. The capitalist workday was originally only functional because workers were constantly chugging coffee and tea to maintain a caffeine high that allowed them to be productive for more than the 4-5 hours a day that a person can actually do solid work without stimulants, and then the workers would go get wasted after work likely in part so that the depressive effects of alcohol would help undo the lingering effects of the stimulants and the stimulant-enabled heavy workload. And so on. A lot of our daily rhythms today are built on historically-contingent norms that were constructed by widespread use and abuse of mood-altering chemicals. And then today we do things like try to cut caffeine out of our lives or forbid doctors from taking cocaine, but then still expect to work the same productive hours established as norms by people who were constantly artificially stimulated.

IMO being hopped up on meth is NOT a valid excuse for war or genocide.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Meth makes some people like that but I know plenty of habitual meth users who are the diametric opposite of that.

Hitler's drug use however..

wikipedia posted:

Brom-Nervacit: bromide, Sodium diethylbarbiturate, Pyramidon, since August 1941 a spoonful of this tranquilizer almost every night, to counteract stimulation from methamphetamine and to allow sleep.[7]
Cardiazol and Coramine: since 1941 for leg oedema.
Chineurin: Quinine-containing preparation for common colds and flu.
Cocaine and adrenaline (via eye drops)[15]
Coramine: Nikethamide injected when unduly sedated with barbiturates. In addition, Morell would use Coramine as part of an all-purpose "tonic".
Cortiron: Desoxycorticosterone Acetate IM injections for muscle weaknesses, influencing carbon hydrate metabolism.
Doktor Koster's Antigaspills: 2–4 pills before every meal, for a total of 8–16 tablets a day,[16] since 1936 Belladonna extractum and Strychnos nux vomica in high doses, for meteorism.[17][18]
Enbasin: Sulfonamide, intragluteal 5cc, for diverse infections.
Euflat: Bile extract, Radix Angelica, Aloes, Papaverine, Caffeine, Pancreatine, Fel tauri – pills, for meteorism, and treatment of digestion disorders
Eukodal: heavy doses Oxycodone, for intestinal spasms, painkiller[19]
Eupaverin: Moxaverine, an isoquinoline derivative for intestinal spasms and colics.
Glucose: 1938 till 1940 every third day Glucose injections 5 and 10%, for potentiation of the Strophanthus effect
Glyconorm: metformin,[7] Metabolism Enzymes (Cozymase I and II), Amino acids, Vitamins – injectable solution as a strengthener tonic
Homatropin: Homatropine. HBr 0.1g, NaCl 0.08g; Distilled water added 10 ml. Eye drops for right eye problems.
Intelan: twice a day Vitamins A, D3 and B12 – tablets as a strengthener, tonic.
Camomilla Officinale: chamomile – intestinal enemata, on the patient's personal request
Luitzym: after each meal Enzymes with Cellulase, Hemicellulases, Amylase, Proteases for intestinal problems, meteorism.
Mutaflor: Emulsion of Escherichia coli-strains – enteric coated tablets for improvement of intestinal flora. They were prescribed to Hitler for flatulence in 1936, the first unorthodox drug treatment from Morell; bacteria cultured from human feces, see: "E. coli")[20]
Omnadin: Mixture of protein compounds, biliar lipids and animal fat, taken at the onset of infections (together with Vitamultin).
Optalidon: Caffeine, Propyphenazone – tablets at the beginning of infections (together with Vitamultin)
Orchikrin: an extract of bovine testosterone, pituitary gland, and glycerophosphate, as a tonic, strengthener. Marketed also as an aphrodisiac.[18]
Penicilline-Hamma: Penicillin – powder Topical antibiotic. After the attempted assassination of July 20, 1944 to treat his right arm.
Pervitin: methamphetamine injections for mental depression and fatigue[7][18]
Progynon B-Oleosum: Estradiol Valerate, Benzoic ester of follicle hormone, for Improvement of the circulation in the gastric mucosa.
Prostacrinum: two ampoules every second day for a short period in '43, extract of seminal vesicles and prostate – injected IM for mental depression[18]
Prostophanta: Strophantine 0.3 mg, Glucose, Vitamin B, Nicotinic acid – IM heart glycoside, strengthener.
Septoid: intravenous injections of 10 cc of 3% iodine (in potassium iodide form) with 10 cc of 20% glucose, two or three times a day, to improve heart's condition and the altered Second Sound.[1]
Strophantin: '41 to '44 – cycle of 2 weeks of homeopathic Strophanthus gratus glycoside 0.2 mg per day for coronary sclerosis.
Sympatol: oxedrine tartrate since '42, 10 drops daily for increasing the cardiac minute volume
Testoviron: Testosterone propionate as a tonic, strengthener.
Tonophosphan: '42 to '44, Phosphoric preparation – SC tonic, strengthener
Ultraseptyl: Sulfonamide for respiratory infections
Veritol: since March '44 Hydroxyphenyl-2-methylamino-propane – eyedrops for left eye treatment
Vitamultin-Calcium: Caffeine, Vitamins.

I'm the belladonna.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Casey Finnigan posted:

brb gotta take my poo poo pills and semen injections

Well now, they've recently started giving people poo poo pills in mainstream medicine, maybe all the rest of this stuff is good too...

Slavvy posted:

The disposable blades are the root of the problem.

Having shaved with both a straight razor and those 100 year old style safety razors with just the metal blade itself being disposable, the second option is infinitely preferable. I'm pretty comfortable going through like 50 grams of steel a year as far as consumption goes.

Mine just go to the dump to be picked up by a big rear end front end loader though.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Reminder that 4 months before Pearl Harbor, the UK and the USSR invaded and conquered Iran and partitioned it between themselves in an act of naked aggression that was no different morally than the Nazi and Soviet invasion of Poland

Invasion of Iran was regular flavour imperialism afaik, the Nazi invasion of Poland was done as an integral part of a plan to genocide multiple groups and the Soviet invasion of Poland recaptured land they lost 20 years earlier when it was invaded by Poland and where Poles were mostly a minority.
IMO these three things are all morally quite different.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

the tweet is carefully worded in such a way as to exclude world war one which is pretty dumb considering that most people think of both of them in the same breath hence the name

The tweet specifically mentions the Somme, which I would have thought a fellow named Somme Guy TT would pick up on.

Weka
May 5, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

From purely material standpoint I'd rather be on the US side than the North Vietnamese one

Also from an ethical one, as it would be much easier to kill Americans.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Azathoth posted:

*monkey's paw curls as you die falling into a vat of molten steel*

Stalin origin story?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dameius posted:

Has anyone invaded Russia from the east and won?

America, using it's primary weapon, money, when it took Alaska.

More seriously, I guess the Qing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Russian_border_conflicts

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dameius posted:

I meant moving into Russia by going east which would have been attacking Russia on their west. :doh:

Oops.
Poland in the 20s. Didn't last long of course.
Also the Crimean war.

Weka has issued a correction as of 11:26 on Jul 30, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019

Calico Heart posted:

Any more info/link on this?

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/65467/short-strange-life-mcdonalds-pizza

Weka
May 5, 2019

Not this, please

It's actually kinda relevant in that an innovation that helped the French militarily was allowing people to become French. Not the first to do it, Rome did it for instance, but maybe the first in the era of nationalism.

I read like two more pages and I'm already learning stuff

Apparently George III never left England. Ever. Not as a baby, not as a grown man, not as a crazy old person. He didn't even go to Scotland. This is the ruler of an advanced murderous Empire that spanned the whole globe. He just sat there like a spider in a web for his entire life. That's fuckin sad, man.

George III wasn't the ruler of the Empire.

Weka
May 5, 2019

What's the source for CIA involvement in the 1956 Hungarian revolution? I'm pretty sure it's come up in this thread before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Sean Bean is too old to play Alexander in the first season. Alas.

Don't see why Alexander would be in it at all really.

All I'm saying is that no one questioned John Glover's patriotism then and he's still considered an American hero. Just a completely alien mindset to today.

Troops are considered heroes when they never left the green zone. Nobody disparages them for leaving at the end of their term of service.