Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Eclipse12 posted:

Perfect's hair looks like uncooked ramen. Uncooked! Uncut! Uncensored A mullet!

[...]

God, you are not wrong. :gonk:

quote:

Class act he is, Perfect congratulates Hart on his win. [Editor's note: I didn't edit this photo. The weird glow was part of the screenshot itself. I caught it right as camera flashes were going off. Looked cool so I kept it.

This looks like a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Eclipse12 posted:

I can kinda see his logic in the Yoko fight. Vince wanted Hogan to lose the title to Hart at Summer Slam but Hogan refused because he felt Hart was "too small" to ever plausibly best Hulk. Yokozuna was big, so that made it okay and they decided he would lose at KotR instead. But, and I'm guessing now, Hogan still didn't love the idea of being beaten fair and square so he needed to lose only because the opponent cheated. And it had to be special, not just salt in the eyes or a low blow. Hence, flaming camera.

Still a hell of a weird way to (temporarily) end his WWF career...

Supposedly Hogan came up with the photographer angle, with the idea that it would turn out to be Tiger Hattori. WWF didn't go with that plan, on the grounds that literally no-one in Dayton, Ohio (which is to be referred to for the remainder of the show as "the heartland of America" because Vince McMahon is hugely embarrassed at running a PPV out of Dayton, Ohio) would have any goddamn clue who Tiger Hattori is, and because the entire angle would exist purely to give Hogan a reason to go and work for New Japan to no benefit for WWF. However, they did keep the photographer gimmick, then subsequently never really mentioned it again or followed up on it, possibly as a big "gently caress you" to Hogan or possibly the intention was always to have that as an excuse to do a rematch if Hogan stuck around.

The rest is pretty much accurate - at that point in time:
  • They'd been running with Hogan as the top star for nearly a decade and his shtick was wearing thin in their key markets
  • Hogan had a deal to film Thunder In Paradise and thought that the opportunities were endless for a man who can fight crime in he own boat (spoiler: they weren't)
  • Hogan made an rear end of himself by going on TV to say that he didn't do steroids before going to court to say that actually he did do all of the steroids, with his close personal friend Vince McMahon
  • Hogan subsequently shrank three sizes that day (compare him here to WM3)
  • Hogan was turning forty that year, during an era where Vince McMahon thought that if you were forty that you were essentially clinically dead
  • Hogan's demands and self-serving bullshit were becoming increasingly ridiculous and unreasonable

It was pretty much inevitable that Hogan's days with WWF were numbered, although it seems like they got cut short quicker than anticipated as McMahon has to very abruptly shove Lex Luger (a man with incredible obliques and almost no charisma to speak of) into Hogan's position, and I can't stress how poorly that's going to go.

Hogan will spend about a year figuring out if there is an inlet, canal or fjord that will allow him to catch that purse thief before one of Ted Turner's people shows up to ask, "exactly how ridiculous and unreasonable are we talking, here?", and that's how we get Hulk Hogan vs Brutus "Hogan's BFF" Beefcake as the actual factual main event of Starrcade 1994, the time that they put all of the bad guys in WCW plus two movie dudes in a big cage so that Hogan could beat all of them at once, or the time that Hogan changed his part in a battle royal while it was happening for no other reason than so he could come back at the end and overshadow Randy Savage winning the title.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PotatoJudge posted:

She's so good at that, staying perfectly straight and rigid through the fall. Best one was when she started it with no opponent there, her tag team partner catches and stands her back up, drags the opponent over then tips Maki over.

Any chance you know where to find video of this?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Supposedly Hogan came up with the photographer angle, with the idea that it would turn out to be Tiger Hattori. WWF didn't go with that plan, on the grounds that literally no-one in Dayton, Ohio (which is to be referred to for the remainder of the show as "the heartland of America" because Vince McMahon is hugely embarrassed at running a PPV out of Dayton, Ohio) would have any goddamn clue who Tiger Hattori is, and because the entire angle would exist purely to give Hogan a reason to go and work for New Japan to no benefit for WWF. However, they did keep the photographer gimmick, then subsequently never really mentioned it again or followed up on it, possibly as a big "gently caress you" to Hogan or possibly the intention was always to have that as an excuse to do a rematch if Hogan stuck around.

The rest is pretty much accurate - at that point in time:
  • They'd been running with Hogan as the top star for nearly a decade and his shtick was wearing thin in their key markets
  • Hogan had a deal to film Thunder In Paradise and thought that the opportunities were endless for a man who can fight crime in he own boat (spoiler: they weren't)
  • Hogan made an rear end of himself by going on TV to say that he didn't do steroids before going to court to say that actually he did do all of the steroids, with his close personal friend Vince McMahon
  • Hogan subsequently shrank three sizes that day (compare him here to WM3)
  • Hogan was turning forty that year, during an era where Vince McMahon thought that if you were forty that you were essentially clinically dead
  • Hogan's demands and self-serving bullshit were becoming increasingly ridiculous and unreasonable

It was pretty much inevitable that Hogan's days with WWF were numbered, although it seems like they got cut short quicker than anticipated as McMahon has to very abruptly shove Lex Luger (a man with incredible obliques and almost no charisma to speak of) into Hogan's position, and I can't stress how poorly that's going to go.

Hogan will spend about a year figuring out if there is an inlet, canal or fjord that will allow him to catch that purse thief before ofne of Ted Turner's people shows up to ask, "exactly how ridiculous and unreasonable are we talking, here?", and that's how we get Hulk Hogan vs Brutus "Hogan's BFF" Beefcake as the actual factual main event of Starrcade 1994, the time that they put all of the bad guys in WCW plus two movie dudes in a big cage so that Hogan could beat all of them at once, or the time that Hogan changed his part in a battle royal while it was happening for no other reason than so he could come back at the end and overshadow Randy Savage winning the title.

Thank you for sharing all this. I absolutely love reading "behind the scenes" stuff.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Ahhh Harvey Whippleman, seen here as Downtown Bruno. And yes that is Tugboat/Typhoon/Shockmaster to the left

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JSfB4C-wPU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FullLeatherJacket posted:

He's one of the biggest legend stars ever in this..- God! And your t-shirts are too tight too, Billy!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

There shall be no besmirching of Thunder In Paradise in this thread, got it?! :mad:

Edit: As I was watching Bear Country on Dynamite yesterday, I realized they remind me very much of Earthquake and Typhoon

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 8, 2021

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

what about suburban commando

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

what about suburban commando

It's a fairly solid family comedy.

Also, I like to imagine that movie as what Hollywood would have come up with if they tried to make a Lobo movie in the early 90's.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i remember three scenes.

hulk hogan tosses a cd or something at a space villain and it severs his hand to reveal a lizard hand

hulk hogan is incline pressing a car engine for exercise

christopher lloyd blasts a red light he always gets stuck at with a space gun

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MakaVillian posted:

Edit: As I was watching Bear Country on Dynamite yesterday, I realized they remind me very much of Earthquake and Typhoon

Bear Country can work though

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember Hulk Hogan intimidating a car alarm, and intensely scrutinizing both the movie and my WWF tapes in a personal pre-internet era to figure out if it was really the Undertaker and why the hell they wouldn't credit him as they did Hogan.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i remember three scenes.

hulk hogan tosses a cd or something at a space villain and it severs his hand to reveal a lizard hand

hulk hogan is incline pressing a car engine for exercise

christopher lloyd blasts a red light he always gets stuck at with a space gun

Did Hogan go back on the 'roids when he left WWF? He sure seemed to get bigger again after KotR, in which, as was mentioned by FullLeatherJacket, he was a lot smaller than his old days.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I think I may have mentioned this in GBS recently, but I once ate at Hulk Hogan's restaurant in Tampa Bay while on a work trip.

The interior was so garishly red and yellow it felt like a circus tent, and the food was slightly worse than you would get from an Applebees. On the plus side I got to see Jimmy 'The Mouth of the South' Hart eating some appetizers while wearing sunglasses indoors and night, and there was a respectable memorabilia display:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I live in Minneapolis but never ate at pastamania while it was here. I did used to drive by the old sign, which some other business must have taken when it closed and hung up, before they finally took it to the dump though:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

I live in Minneapolis but never ate at pastamania while it was here. I did used to drive by the old sign, which some other business must have taken when it closed and hung up, before they finally took it to the dump though:

I would pay to see a match done in that lot. Or as DLC in a video game

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I think I may have mentioned this in GBS recently, but I once ate at Hulk Hogan's restaurant in Tampa Bay while on a work trip.

The interior was so garishly red and yellow it felt like a circus tent, and the food was slightly worse than you would get from an Applebees. On the plus side I got to see Jimmy 'The Mouth of the South' Hart eating some appetizers while wearing sunglasses indoors and night, and there was a respectable memorabilia display:

Is that the restaurant that had the long dress code sign that was entirely things a black guy might wear despite the fact that most of it was also things hogan wears (bandanas for example)?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bonzo posted:

I would pay to see a match done in that lot. Or as DLC in a video game

Sadly it fell off in a snow storm and has since vanished.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Mrs. Dash posted:

Is that the restaurant that had the long dress code sign that was entirely things a black guy might wear despite the fact that most of it was also things hogan wears (bandanas for example)?

hahaha
he's the worst

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

*pulls out comically long list* the worst? well actually...

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

"We only get one shot at this, Hulkster. The perfect restaurant to encapsulate all that is Hulkamania. The brand that takes you beyond wrestling. The restaurant that is the epitome of all you stand for, all you fight for, and how you view yourself in the zeitgeist of America. What is your vision, sir?"

"Spaghetti."

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Rarity posted:

Bear Country can work though

I just meant physically

Also Suburban Commando was pretty good

Eclipse12 posted:

"We only get one shot at this, Hulkster. The perfect restaurant to encapsulate all that is Hulkamania. The brand that takes you beyond wrestling. The restaurant that is the epitome of all you stand for, all you fight for, and how you view yourself in the zeitgeist of America. What is your vision, sir?"

"Spaghetti."

They absolutely didn't get past the fact that Pastamania sounded good

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 8, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ss_DNXNweQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4FGhFkCJKc

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MakaVillian posted:

I just meant physically

I was just getting another slam in on Earthquake for Gavok :ssh:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Vince MechMahon posted:

Mods please make this the background image for this thread tia

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Well this is wholesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP8Qcy7vpFI

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jesus Dynamite is a whole lot of non-match content this week. Just so much talking. Plus, I don't care about Mike Tyson one bit and now he's coming back next week? Spare me.

Did enjoy Sting calling out Jake the Snake on being a lovely mentor though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Such a lovely mentor when he taught Sting how to do a DDT Sting somehow learned it completely in reverse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

also jeez the Good Brothers are such aggressively non-characters

that match was a story between the Bucks and Omega and secondarily Moxley but the only reason the Good Brothers were in the picture is Matt and Nick would look right twats doing flips on their own

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Eclipse12 posted:

"Spaghetti."

Well, he's Italian.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

We don't need no reasonable explanations, thankyouverymuch

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Mrs. Dash posted:

holy poo poo yes it was! and we talked about it all through dinner. how did i forget that!?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Well, he's Italian.

Pasta also has one of the higher profit margins in restaurants. Dry pasta costs nothing.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Hulk should have stuck with the meat shoes

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I almost forgot to keep posting macho man

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Everything in AEW is so cute. Best Friends. Hugging. Everyone is all happy. Dark Order wanting Adam Page cuz he's so handsome.

It's so wholesome I love it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The brandon cutler dungeons and dragons game with the best friends and librarians is a fun listen if you're into that sort of thing

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It'd be a lot easier to like the guy if he wasn't a controlling psycho with his wife.

Lanny Poffo best Poffo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

The idea of "___ was a piece of crap in real life" comes up now and then, and that's not a surprise, given the history of performers.

I think to enjoy wrestling as a hobby you have to, on some level, consider the characters separately from the people who performed them.

But I also get it if for some fans that doesn't work for them or if certain performers their real world lives are too heinous to tune out, such as Chris Benoit. I can't really watch his matches anymore. I'm not sure if a case-by-case basis is better or worse because you have to draw increasingly more lines in the sand or start making value judgments about which terrible thing is "okay" enough to still like the character and which isn't.

So whenever I'm watching wrestling I have always have this asterisk in the back of my brain that says:

*it saddens me that a lot of these people had/have some serious mental, anger, or addiction issues in real life and I hope that, by the end, they acknowledged their sins and atoned for them and both they and those they hurt find peace