Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Eclipse12 posted:

According to the legal text at the end of KotR, "Hulk Hogan," "Hulkster," and "Hulkamania" are trademarks of Marvel.

Weird. I get the Incredible Hulk similarities, but they own Hogan's name??

Yup. He was originally incredible hulk Hogan and marvel sued. I think it was settled out if court and they own the hulk part and get paid, and he had to drop the incredible part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The funniest thing about the Hulk Hogan character is he was supposed to be Irish

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

how is that funny

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Imagine seeing Terry Bollea and your first thought is this is the perfect person to fill the role of an Irish wrestler, just needs red hair.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Animal-Mother posted:

The puke-on-command guy got paralyzed in a wrestling match. :(

I didn't know...

That sucks. :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

I didn't know...

That sucks. :(

This one at least falls under tragic mistake unlike say, Owen Hart, which was criminal negligence. He was in a match with D'Lo Brown, took a power bomb, a move D'Lo hit a thousand times before, and was just out of position. No one's fault, and just lovely for everyone. Droz obviously, but also D'Lo who has to walk around knowing he did that to someone, intentional or not.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I was randomly thinking about The Rock (which is a normal and healthy thing to do) and I think it's safe that he probably invented or popularized more catchphrases within his field than any other athlete/actor in history. Maybe more than any human since Shakespeare (okay, maybe not).

Just off the top of my head:

Jabroni
Smackdown
Candy rear end
Monkey rear end
The Rock says ___
It doesn't matter what ___
Know your role
Finally, The Rock has come back to ___
Smackdown Hotel
Roody pooh(sp?)
Various streets, avenues, lanes, and boulevards of Smackingdown and Knowingroles

I know there's more that could be added to the list

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I just appreciate the cornucopia of nicknames The Rock had:

*Rocky
*The People's Champ
*The Great One
*The Brahma Bull
*The Most Electrifying Man In Sports Entertainment

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Don't forget the time where he was The Corporate Champ with the Corporate Elbow.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

I just appreciate the cornucopia of nicknames The Rock had:

*Rocky
*The People's Champ
*The Great One
*The Brahma Bull
*The Most Electrifying Man In Sports Entertainment

The Blue Chipper :laugh:

Also The Rock was super cool back in the day but watching his old promos as a person who is 20 years older a lot of that stuff is pretty embarrassing now. I rewatched Jericho's WWE debut last month and Jericho cut a great, somewhat natural sounding promo and then The Rock just responds with nothing but a pile of catchphrases strung together and got a huge pop.

Things were certainly different back then.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Yeah, but that was a HUGE pop for Jericho, too, as an introduction to him in the WWE. It's hard to get a bigger boost than than he got as your first appearance, Rock promo or not.

And then he almost blew it, but thank God he eventually figured his character out

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I still like the Rock's promos... :smith:

At least the ones that don't have slurs tossed in (like his favorite name for Kane). His Triple H impression and the bits where he sung songs that made fun of the audience were pretty lol. Also, he annihilated Billy Gunn, and that will always make me laugh.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Why is there this persistent, quietly bubbling rumor that The Rock is going to run for president?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Because American democracy favours showmen over statesmen.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

Why is there this persistent, quietly bubbling rumor that The Rock is going to run for president?

Have you seen his new show? He's literally running for president on TV.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jesus christ pls no. If he runs he will definitely win no question

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

If you ain't a roody pooh candy rear end, you don't got nothing to worry about I'm screwed

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I rewatched Jericho's WWE debut last month and Jericho cut a great, somewhat natural sounding promo and then The Rock just responds with nothing but a pile of catchphrases strung together and got a huge pop.

Things were certainly different back then.

How dare you sir! The best part of that (very good) promo was The Rock cutting Jericho off.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/G0ATEDP3RC/status/1382777269370945536?s=20

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
What baffles me is that Jericho's original idea was to introduce himself at the end of the show, but VKM changed it at the last minute to interrupt The Rock and it was 50000X better than the original idea. This man used to have incredibly good sense for running a show.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Animal-Mother posted:

- he's the logical successor to schwarzenegger, who people have been joking about becoming president for years and who did eventually become govenor of california (like reagan before him) but who can't run without amending the constitution because he wasn't born here
- he's insanely, ridiculously charismatic and has a very carefully maintained positive public image, beyond what you'd need if you were just a run-of-the-mill celebrity- not everybody necessarily has a positive opinion of him, but nobody could deny he's handsome, well-spoken, charitable, and a good dad, and you couldn't disagree with his politics because he doesn't have any. even his ex-wife apparently can't bring herself to hate him, because she works as his personal assistant. wow what a great guy!
- after disgraced former president trump won in 2016, people started looking at other insanely rich people, preferably a likable minority, to run against him, and with that kind of thinking it's basically the rock or oprah
- he finally took a political stance last election when he endorsed biden, the incredibly milquetoast middle-of-the-road reach-across-the-aisle third way compromise candidate who also happened to be running as a democrat. any way the wind blows, if the rock wants to run as a republican in 2024, he can spin it as having given biden a shot but now needing to step in as a non-partisan who just makes sense. if he wants to run as a democrat in 2028, his first dalliance into the political arena will have been endorsing "the most left-leaning platform in u.s. history" or the man who brought sanity back to the white house
- I guess his new sitcom has a frame narrative where it's the future and he's president or something? people are saying this is to get the public used to the idea of him running for president

I hope he doesn't
I like the rock and would prefer if he remained a harmless muscled celebrity, but the thing is he's definitely going to run for president and win and be a weird fascist

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
yeah i'm kinda done with presidents that literally can't even imagine how regular people live, at no point in dwayne johnson's life he would've had even a smidgen of experience in the real world

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kunabomber posted:

yeah i'm kinda done with presidents

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kunabomber posted:

yeah i'm kinda done with presidents that literally can't even imagine how regular people live, at no point in dwayne johnson's life he would've had even a smidgen of experience in the real world

He always says he was broke before getting a job with the WWF.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Financial situation is a bit less relevant when the only life he's known is the carny life with his mom and dad.

Edit: I would have the same sort of reservations regarding, say, the barrymores

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 16, 2021

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Animal-Mother posted:

He always says he was broke before getting a job with the WWF.
Yeah, he talked about this in his first memoir from 2000, The Rock Says. It has some stories about how he lived pretty rough after college while trying to break into professional football in Canada (LOL CFL) before he got into wrestling. It's a fascinating little book, I wish I'd bought the copy I skimmed in a used bookstore.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is that the book that was half kayfabe? I think the WWF put out a few of those back then.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Rock for President has been a meme for like 10 years at this point

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

basically I'm 100% convinced that anyone whose life is obviously characterized by a "I bootstrapped myself to success" approach should not be let within 10 steps of political leadership under any circumstance; whether "success" is defined as "financial wealth" or "big muscles" is at best a tertiary footnote in this creed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

now, Batista

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't know why the Rock would even WANT to be president. Like Trump sure, he's got the biggest inferiority complex I've never seen in a narcissist. The Rock seems like he mostly just likes entertaining people and staying out of the public eye and spending time with his family. He's not hosed up in the head enough to want to be president.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
lol his grandfather is literally high chief peter malvia, there's no possible loving way he wasn't going into wrestling, and they were gonna push him to the moon by hook or by crook

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Eclipse12 posted:

I was randomly thinking about The Rock (which is a normal and healthy thing to do) and I think it's safe that he probably invented or popularized more catchphrases within his field than any other athlete/actor in history. Maybe more than any human since Shakespeare (okay, maybe not).

Just off the top of my head:

Jabroni
Smackdown
Candy rear end
Monkey rear end
The Rock says ___
It doesn't matter what ___
Know your role
Finally, The Rock has come back to ___
Smackdown Hotel
Roody pooh(sp?)
Various streets, avenues, lanes, and boulevards of Smackingdown and Knowingroles

I know there's more that could be added to the list

Painus in Anus
Sweet Potato Pie

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 16, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

Kunabomber posted:

lol his grandfather is literally high chief peter malvia, there's no possible loving way he wasn't going into wrestling, and they were gonna push him to the moon by hook or by crook

And even then Vince nearly hosed that up completely

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Animal-Mother posted:

as a troll on the people of sacramento

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-G1nnfyWmc

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Rock was the first time i had ever heard the word poontang.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Haha I love that there was hardly any booing until he mentioned the Lakers beating the Kings

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvHw026UDKo

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

The Rock was the first time i had ever heard the word poontang.

:same:

I was a sheltered child, so I thought it was a real form of pie.

Strudel I got, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Animal-Mother posted:

Is that the book that was half kayfabe? I think the WWF put out a few of those back then.

It's super-cringey to read now. Entire chapters are just The Rock (the character) narrating about Dwayne Johnson's life and it's filled with "poo poo that didn't happen"-esque anecdotes. Like some people insulting Rock's grandfather for eating with his hands (Samoan tradition) so he took them to the hotel lobby and beat the poo poo out of them including tossing one through a plate-glass window. Then going to finish his meal and nothing came of it. Even at 14, reading it back then, I knew it probably didn't happen that way.

It's one of the final kayfabe-filled books published after Foley's first book which is all truth and is real with the crazy stories.