Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
VICE did a pretty good doc on the guy who runs CZW awhile ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps0NJ2Sq8D4

its a good watch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Abdullah whips rear end though he kept poker chips in the grooves that were carved into his skull

badass! also gross!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im rewatching the vice doc and lmao Delaware allows Deathmatch Wrestling still

FOUNDING FATHERS FOUNDING STATES FOUNDING BROTHERS SLAMMED IN STAPE(ls)

i forgot fans are allowed to bring weapons like swords or chainsaws or no poo poo one time a loving gun

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 4, 2021

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Yeah I meant after my time with Necrobutcher whoops.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yeah I meant after my time with Necrobutcher whoops.

is that a fukkin Dominions av

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

verbal enema posted:

is that a fukkin Dominions av

Yes it is, the monkey king.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

hell yeah i hope he gets beat by a skinny douchebag who wrestles in jeans and keeps his hands in his pockets and does silly lovetap kicks

Yes, you wouldn't want any wacky poo poo to be associated with the time-traveling luchador with rocket boots whose friend can transform into a literal dragon and fly away.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Anyway, talk of Aerostar makes me think of one of my favorite weird wrestling moments I got to see live.

So there used to be an indie wrestling promotion called CHIKARA (2002-2020). It was a wrestling school that spun off into its own show, head by Mike Quackenbush, who is both a great booker (usually) and a bit of a controlling dork. The promotion spent years centered around silly gimmicks and comic book ideas, including weird poo poo like time travel, mind-control, resurrection, cloning, genetic engineering, and so on. It was also insistent on being "family friendly" and didn't want any cursing or foul gestures from the fans and especially the wrestlers. Fans were very respectful about that, such as chanting "HOLY POOP!" during crazy spots.

The best thing about CHIKARA was their annual 3-day event King of Trios. KoT was a 16-team tournament of six-man matches featuring wrestlers from in-house, other promotions and other countries. King of Trios 2015 featured Team AAA (Rey Fenix, Drago and Aerostar).

In the second round of the tournament, Team AAA was up against CHIKARA heels the Nightmare Warriors (Hallowicked, Frightmare, and Silver Ant). At one point, Fenix was in the ring with Frightmare and started making a hell of a comeback, culminating in shoving Frightmare into the corner in sitting position, flipping him off with both hands and shouting "gently caress YOU!" directly into his face. Anywhere else and that would have torn the roof off the place.

Here, there was a long, awkward silence until the fans started chanting, "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!" Team AAA ended up winning the match and the show went into intermission, but apparently Quackenbush was super pissed and had all their merch pulled from the tables. This was also awkward for him because Team AAA were booked to win the entire tournament. They ultimately did, but Fenix did apologize for the spot.

Mere minutes after Team AAA vs. Nightmare Warriors ended, Kevin Owens (himself barred from CHIKARA for his behavior) tweeted without context, "Me and Fenix, friends."

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

verbal enema posted:

i guess necrobutcher sucks as a person now idk

but look at this goddamn highlight reel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4SlUwEl0jg
DO NOT WATCH THIS AT WORK BLOOD AND GORE WARNING

goddamnit necobutcher i loved you whyd ya have to become a chud i have a theory

Hmmmm repeated head trauma leads to conservatism.

Dude's back must be a mess.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Raw Report either tomorrow or Thursday

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Eclipse12 posted:

Raw Report either tomorrow or Thursday

:sickos:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gavok posted:

So there used to be an indie wrestling promotion called CHIKARA (2002-2020).
Man, CHIKARA was great for a while. The whole Bruderschaft des Kreuzes arc was probably one of the biggest events you could have imagined within the indie microcosm. And King of Trios always was one hell of an annual event and showcase for a lot of wrestlers. Wasn't ever quite the same after WWE snapped up Claudio, though, and trying to catch the same lightning as BDK in a bottle again never worked out.

Hallowicked and Ultramantis should be in the Dark Order these days. Some sort of hostile takeover arc.

Quite a few CHIKARA alumni in AEW as it is though. Uno and Stu, Chuck and Cassidy, Bryce Remsburg...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man, CHIKARA was great for a while. The whole Bruderschaft des Kreuzes arc was probably one of the biggest events you could have imagined within the indie microcosm. And King of Trios always was one hell of an annual event and showcase for a lot of wrestlers. Wasn't ever quite the same after WWE snapped up Claudio, though, and trying to catch the same lightning as BDK in a bottle again never worked out.

Losing Claudio hurt them, but 2013 was the biggest wound.

For those who don't know about the company, 2002-2005 was when CHIKARA was starting up and figuring itself out. 2006-2012 was its golden age where at times it seemed like they could do no wrong.

Then in mid-2013, Quackenbush's creativity went out of control. He did a storyline about CHIKARA being bought out by an evil corporation and eventually being closed down. To give his wrestlers something to do, he did start up a handful of new indie promotions that came with virtually no storylines and barely had any fans in the audience. This also meant a year without King of Trios. Every now and then, there would be a short film thrown online to show hated heel Icarus trying to start a grassroots campaign to bring CHIKARA back, but for the most part, fans were just waiting for the drat fireworks factory. CHIKARA came back nearly a year to the day of when it vanished and... nobody really cared for the storyline. They even released a movie online that told the story of the year without CHIKARA (going so far as to advertise it in comic books), but it was pretty awful and badly edited.

So CHIKARA was back in 2014, but a LOT of people just didn't care anymore. The company still had its moments, but they never picked up enough momentum. Soon the stories were cut down, the booking was pretty crap, they alienated other promotions and over time alienated their own talent. They spent over a year overpushing a midcarder heel (Juan Francisco de Coronado) as their champion by having him go over every major face in the company and it didn't take long after he dropped it for it to be revealed that he was a sex pest. COVID crippled the company in 2020 and MeToo allegations killed what was left.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Wasn't Quackenbush embroiled in some kind of dirty sex controversy? If he was, he's the kind of guy who curates their Wikipedia page, because there's nothing there but his wrestling history. I always find it hilarious when wresters' wiki pages list the championships they won. That's like Captain Kirk's page listing the space battles he won.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Do u guys ever just break out The Bushwackers strut for fun?

I do

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That must be the first time anyone's said 'Bushwhackers' and 'fun' in the same sentence

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh cmon

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Will you stop

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I do. Hell yeah. Swing those arms!

If you can't have fun with the 'Wackers, I don't know what to tell ya.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I do

Those dudes are one of NZ’s national treasures. We just walk around like that here all the time. Constantly.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The Bushwackers had at times to pretend to be Australian in the WWF. Vince's racism knows no bounds.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Eclipse12 posted:

I do. Hell yeah. Swing those arms!

If you can't have fun with the 'Wackers, I don't know what to tell ya.

Sorry I've seen their RR92 match with the Beverlys, you're not fooling me

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I do

No, but occasionally after a successful meeting at work, we lick each other's heads. I think that counts.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Post your favorite wrestling yuks and goofs:

Why did the Macho Man Randy Savage cross the ring?

to get to the other turnbuckle

:xd:

Knock knock
Who's there
Doug
Doug who?
Hacksaw Jim Duggan hoooo!

:roflolmao:

What did one Beverly Brother say to the other?

tag me out, I'm beat!

:classiclol:

What is Vince McMahon's favorite candy?

a ring pop

:lol:

What type of award do good wrestlers get?

a pin!!!!!

:haw:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well it was a good thread while it lasted

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

I do

Probably once a month yea

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

What did Dwayne Johnson get for Christmas after he was put on the naughty list?

a Rock (coal)

:lmao:

What did Stunning Steve say when he forgot to drink his coffee?

this is stone cold!

:bahgawd:

Why did the soccer player start wrestling?

he had a great dropkick

:cheeky:

What is William Regal's favorite movie?

the wrestler

:gizz:

How did Doink the Clown respond when asked about his favorite band?

he didn't have an oPINion

:cool:

What does Kevin Nash use to fuel his imaginary pick-up truck?

fake diesel

:cawg:

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

One more.

Why did Hulk Hogan go to Jamaica?

he was excited for rastamania

:imunfunny:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I can recall the Moondogs who would dress in torn jeans, howl, bark and chew on large rawhide bones which were also used to as "foreign objects".

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Animal-Mother posted:

Wasn't Quackenbush embroiled in some kind of dirty sex controversy?

When they did the Ashes/Year Without CHIKARA storyline, there was a rumor going around that the reason behind it was that Quack was sleeping with one of the students, his wife was divorcing him and she had the rights to the company name. I don't think there was any actual truth to that, but it rationalized a bad idea. I could be wrong.

Right before and during Speaking Out (the big wave of wrestling MeToo allegations), a handful of CHIKARA guys were named as sex pests. The first and probably the worst by far was Rory Gulak a trainer at the CHIKARA school, who was accused of doing stuff that I'm not even going to go into. At least a couple more trainers were brought up for sexual wrongdoing and while Quack wasn't roped in with that, it was felt that he was allowing it to happen. People were also coming out about him being abusive and lovely in other ways.

One former CHIKARA guy (Bullet Ant/Ursa Minor in the Night Sky) threw a bunch of allegations about Quack sleeping with his female students among other things, but basically everyone who dealt with that guy in CHIKARA agreed that he was a bitter rear end in a top hat with an axe to grind who was making up stuff for the sake of tossing gasoline on the fire and muddying the narrative.

Still, there's a video that Quack released on YouTube where he goes into every accusation against him and whether they're true or not. It's a completely bizarre watch because he's crying his eyes out, but sounds like he's cutting a promo the entire time, as if he doesn't know how normal people talk. It's very Calculon.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Quack's YT vids have very strong Divorced Dad with Opinions energy

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

titties posted:

Will you stop

hehe

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I’ve been watching the vice documentaries like many others in this thread, and it got me thinking about days of rasslin past.

The wrestling culture of the old days was incredibly fascinating— when promotions were kind of like a traveling troupe of actors and a medicine show all rolled into one. Although that’s all tarnished by how many of those people were (and continue to be) scumbags.

And then the corporate era started in the 80s and somehow the scumbags got scummier, even as the product got more pg, and it’s kind of depressing to see it all laid out like that, in doc after doc.

Just wanted to say that apropos of nothing, and this seemed like the best place to do it.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The Bushwackers were one of my favorite teams when I was little. But then I also liked Tugboat.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I’ve been watching the vice documentaries like many others in this thread, and it got me thinking about days of rasslin past.

The wrestling culture of the old days was incredibly fascinating— when promotions were kind of like a traveling troupe of actors and a medicine show all rolled into one. Although that’s all tarnished by how many of those people were (and continue to be) scumbags.

And then the corporate era started in the 80s and somehow the scumbags got scummier, even as the product got more pg, and it’s kind of depressing to see it all laid out like that, in doc after doc.

Just wanted to say that apropos of nothing, and this seemed like the best place to do it.

beyond the scumminess, I can't believe how some of these people made it through 300 days on the road and managed to stay somewhat in shape with how rampant the drug and alcohol abuse was. I'm already at the two-day hangover stage of my life at 40. just madness.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

beyond the scumminess, I can't believe how some of these people made it through 300 days on the road and managed to stay somewhat in shape with how rampant the drug and alcohol abuse was. I'm already at the two-day hangover stage of my life at 40. just madness.
Cocaine and steroids; it's why a lot of them from that era died young, and the ones who are still alive and kicking look rough

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Prof. Crocodile posted:

It's probably worth viewing that from the perspective that the guys actually wrestling are generally about ten years behind the curve, since that's approximately what your average wrestler takes between being a guy showing up at a wrestling school and being a guy who can carry a world title program without an adult there to supervise (there are exceptions to that - Kurt Angle was that good in about eighteen months). Guys like Austin, Foley, Benoit, Guerrero, Jericho, they all came up in the era when you had to officially pretend that pro wrestling was real, although maybe slightly after the era where it was considered super important that if you got into a bar fight that you should aim to badly maim the guy because if you lost you couldn't work in that town any more.

It's not until you get well into the 2000s that you exclusively have a generation of wrestlers that grew up and were trained in an era where pro wrestling is just for happy fun good times and where currently all 140 pounds of Darby Allin is to be taken as a major heavyweight star and they're building up a PPV world title main event between Kenny Omega and A Man Who Is Too Lazy To Wrestle

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Does Darby Allin have special moves where he pisses and shits and bleeds and pukes on people?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Does Darby Allin have special moves where he pisses and shits and bleeds and pukes on people?

his special move is somehow not getting crippled doing poo poo like this

https://twitter.com/BRWrestling/status/1390104692579991554?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

his special move is to do something legitimately scary for no long-term benefit (unless he's intentionally trying to get injured to avoid the draft); and also to hang out with sting, who is his silent emo dad now

this week he got thrown down a set of concrete stairs, as a treat

e: beaten