Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Enjoying this thread very much, Pro Wrestling is beautiful light entertainment that occasionally catches you off guard with a powerful and engaging storyline, I’ve been struggling to maintain my love of wrestling through lockdown with how bad WWE is and I just can’t get into AEW (I despise the young bucks with a passion)

I live in the UK and for a while the scene was hijacked by a hipster punk rock crowd but it’s pretty much been destroyed thanks to Covid/a lot of talent being outed as sex offenders etc it’s been pretty horrible.
I actually do a bit of wrestling myself and look forward to getting back to training I’m a late 30s fat short guy though so I literally do it for fun and probably do about 10 matches a year for my local promotion it’s a blast but I’ll probably drop I when I hit 40, I primarily do comedy stuff and have a gimmick that is easy to get over with the crowd and have been lucky enough to work with some amazing British wrestlers anyway here is a picture of me having my head knocked off during a rumble by a large man called Ruffneck (who very briefly was seen in fighting with my family)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Gavok posted:

- The Bodyslam Yokozuna Challenge on the USS Intrepid on the 4th of July.

Ahhhh the lex express, to this day I can’t get that “I’ll be your hero” song out of my head

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Guys, I’m doing my last night shift of 9 tonight, but actually have internet access on this one so want to watch some wrestling, what PPV should I watch I have the network and would prefer it to be pre-attitude era preferably with a good Bret Hart match, I did king of the ring 94 last night

I’d also like to avoid mania’s or rumbles

What do you reckon?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

The Drifter posted:

Summerslam 94 is decent. Has a really great Bret/Owen cage match.

SOLD!

Bret was always my favourite as I kid, My gear for shows was originally inspired by him (pink tights black singlet) I’m need new post covid gear so I’m thinking of leaning into it harder.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Gavok posted:

I suggest SummersSlam 91. Bret vs. Perfect is one of the best matches of that era. Plus it's an entertaining and at times bizarre show that acts as the climax to the Hogan Era.

Now you’re making a good argument plus I love Perfect, maybe I’ll try and squeeze them both in

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Eclipse12 posted:

Also throwing my vote in for Summer Slam 92. Great event altogether.

Being a Brit I’ve seen 92 a few times, man I wish we could get a PPV live in the UK again

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Former WWE wrestler Ludvig Borga later returned to Finland to be a generic strongman, competed on our version of American Gladiators and then went on to be a politician for a far right racism party. During his election campaign he also put out his autobiography, which was basically a ~150 page pamphlet of him going around, encountering some black people acting in a way that would make A Wyatt Mann think was a bit too stereotypical, and then Ludvig Borga beating the poo poo out of them to general applause.

So, you know. It could've been worse.

Then he went on to record this banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMPog33phuM

with lyrics like

"A real man does not eat his words or salad
A real man hits without hesitation or mercy"

So, you know. I'm surprised he didn't have a longer career in Vince's WWE.

The video also features him boxing against female boxers, which might seem progressive until you realize he also had some issues with beating up women later in life, and then it just becomes ominous.

E: I remember back in the early 2000s when that WCW e-radio show was still a thing. On one episode they were discussing Ludvig Borga in passing and wondering what ever happened to him. I was in the chat, and when it was relayed to Jeremy Borash & co that Borga had basically become a cartoon race warrior, there was a lot of awkward silence for a bit.

Didn’t he also get a pasting in one of the old UFC’s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Now if only AEW would give The Young Bucks and Omega the boot then I could really enjoy it.

I’ll give it to the Bucks that cage match was fun but I still hate them.